Prologue

Cosmic Beginnings

It was Sojung’s last year at the academy. Her final year in the place she’s grown up in. The place where she found herself.

 

She had worked hard during her time here and she was ready to face the real world. To help fight crime and find justice for the people who need it. 

 

Sojung was hunting down her ever elusive best friend, Jiyeon, to complain about her girlfriend for the billionth time. Jiyeon was the only one who could slap some sense into her about Hyunjung.

 

Sojung was aware of her popularity in the academy. All the teachers spoke highly of her, and the other students gawked whenever she’d walk by.

 

Hyunjung never liked when girls would flock towards her girlfriend with flirtatious looks on their faces. That was one of their first fights.

 

They had been dating on and off for about two years now. And Sojung was sure that Hyunjung was the one for her. 

 

If only they could stop arguing about the pettiest things.

 

“Hey, Soobin! Have you seen Jiyeon?” 

 

“I think she was in her dorm. Word is they’re sending her out again.” Sojung’s ears perked up at that. She better catch up with Jiyeon before she leaves for however long this time.

 

It was starting to concern her how often they were sending her friend out on these small missions. She knew her friend had the capabilities, but she wanted Jiyeon to focus on graduating at the same time as her. 

 

“Thanks, Soob!” 

 

 

Sojung opened the door to find her friend tossing clothes into her overnight backpack. “Can you tell me where you’re headed this time?”

 

Jiyeon didn’t look up or acknowledge her. “Just some recon, I’ll be back before the weekend ends.”

 

“Are you okay?” 

 

“Yes, why wouldn’t I be?”

 

Sojung didn’t respond as she plopped herself onto the chair next to the desk. 

 

“Hyunjung acting out again?” Jiyeon decided to say after a long silence.  

 

Sojung nodded. “I don’t know if we’ll make it this time.” 

 

Jiyeon paused her actions, looking at her friend for the first time that day. “You guys will make it.”

 

 

Jiyeon boarded the bus and took a seat, thinking about everything. Her current situation, her life at the academy, her friends. And what she was going to do after graduation. 

 

She has kept this low profile throughout the years, opposite her best friend Sojung. Jiyeon really wanted to work together in the near future. Her thoughts drifted back to the conversation she just had with her friend.

 

Jiyeon rolled her eyes. She thought highly of Sojung and Hyunjung, but she always thought that love was a huge distraction. A distraction they couldn’t afford in the field that they were pursuing. 

 

She shook her head and sighed softly, noticing that the bus was coming to a stop. Her only love was for her work. 

 

 

“Sojung?” Hyunjung opened the door to her girlfriend’s dorm, finding it dark and quiet. “I know you’re hiding in here somewhere!”

 

She walked blindly to the kitchen and the living room lights, revealing a sleeping girl on the couch. Hyunjung sighed. 

 

She crouched down next to her girlfriend. “I’m sorry I acted crazy. I’ll be better. For you.”

 

“I hope so, because there’s no one I’d rather be with.” Sojung suddenly spoke to a startled Hyunjung. 

 

Hyunjung blushed as Sojung cupped her cheeks before pecking her on the lips. “Come on, let’s go to bed.”

 

 

Sojung shoved open the doors to the headmaster’s office. Jiyeon had come back two days later with a gash on her thigh hidden under a good amount of make up.

 

This was the last straw, Sojung thought. The academy needed to stop using her best friend for their dirty work.

 

“Sojung, just the person I wanted to see.” The headmaster announced, back towards her.

 

She frowned, wondering how he knew it was her. She bit back a snide remark, crossing her arms instead to show her displease.

 

“The board had a meeting yesterday, and we have decided to choose you as a candidate to start your own detective team after graduation.” 

 

Sojung was flabbergasted to say the least, seeing as she was about to give the headmaster a piece of her mind before he sprung this surprise on her. 

 

“W-What?” 

 

“You heard me.” He smiled like a proud father. “Now, go and prove to them you deserve it.”

 

 

Sojung walked up to the podium and cleared . “Today, we are graduating.”

 

It was already the end of the year and Sojung worked hard to have the opportunity to make her dreams come true. Her very own detective team.

 

“I am very honored and proud to have been chosen by the academy to make my own task force, and I will try my best to keep this city safe.”

 

In the stands, a group of girls in the year below were whispering to each other.

 

“Hey, Juyeon. Isn’t that your crush, Sojung?” The tall girl whacked her friend’s arm and gave her a scowl.

 

“Shut up, Dawon. The whole school has a crush on her.”

 

“Are you guys hearing this? I want to be on her team!” 

 

The two stopped bickering to look at their friend. “I doubt she’d recruit people from the academy, Meiqi.”

 

“A girl can dream.”

 

“I want to find a team that is unique. A team that works close like a family.”

 

Sojung finished up her speech by congratulating her graduating class and thanking the school board for the chance of a lifetime.