Act 2

Cosmic Beginnings

Juyeon waited nervously in the wooden chair she took a seat in. She was called out of class, being escorted to the headmaster’s office. She had no idea why.

 

She flinched when she heard the door closing. “Hello, Son Juyeon.”

 

She stood up immediately, bowing to the headmaster. He gestured for her to take a seat as he took his across from her behind his desk. Juyeon was silent.

 

“I’ve called you here to give you a very special task.” Juyeon refrained from furrowing her eyebrows.

 

He handed her a confidential folder. She took it, hesitantly opening it to read what was inside.

 

It was an undercover mission plan.

 

“You see, we rarely recruit students for undercover missions, but we could use your skill sets for this one.”

 

Juyeon finally spoke up. “M-My skill sets, sir?”

 

The headmaster smiled at her. “I trust that you will see this mission through?”

It was more of a statement than a question. Juyeon fidgeted in her seat, the folder in her hands feeling ten times heavier. She just got handed a rare opportunity.

 

“Yes sir.”

 

 

The headmaster dialed a number he was familiar with. It only rang once before it was answered.

 

“Hello, Kim Jiyeon.”

 

“Hello, sir. How can I help you?”

 

“I need you to watch a student of ours while she goes on her first undercover mission.”

 

Jiyeon didn’t reply. She thought about Sojung and how upset she would be if Jiyeon were to leave at this time. She let out a sigh before returning her phone to her ear.

 

“Will she know who I am, sir?”

 

“No, she will not.”

 

 

Meiqi barreled through the door, making a beeline for Juyeon, Dawon following right behind her.

 

“I can’t believe they’re sending you on a mission!” Meiqi nearly shouted as they entered the dorm room.

 

Juyeon plopped onto her chair, taking a break from packing her suitcase. She rubbed her temples.

 

“Where did you guys hear that from?”

 

“We have our sources.” Dawon replied, taking a seat on the bed across from the tall girl. Meiqi continued to stand with her arms crossed.

 

“How long are you going to be gone?” Meiqi questioned, not moving her position one bit.

 

“If everything goes as planned, maybe a month.”

 

The room went silent as Juyeon watched her friends take in the information. No one said another word as Meiqi wrapped her arms around Juyeon’s shoulders, also managing to pull Dawon in for a group hug.

 

“We’re so proud of you.”

 

“Tell that to me when the mission ends successfully!”

 

 

Juyeon took a deep breathe, shaking her hands out as she stood in front of the dorm building. This was going to be her new home for the next month.

 

She pushed the doors open and entered into an empty lobby. She furrowed her eyebrows, checking her wristwatch for the time. It was only two in the afternoon.

 

She double checked her room number as she walked up the stairs to her floor. She followed down the wide hallway, reaching her room at the end of it.

 

Room 27.

 

She stood in front of her door, just taking in the moment when it was disrupted. The room door behind her swung open noisily.

 

“Oh, sorry! Didn’t see you there!” Juyeon turned around to see a young brunette girl flashing her a huge smile. “You must be a new trainee! I’m Daisy.”

 

Juyeon stared at the other girl, wide eyed for a moment. The brunette gave an awkward chuckle, smile never fading though. She snapped out of it.

 

“Oh! I’m Eunseo.”

 

From the moment they shook hands, Juyeon knew she had found someone to befriend during her time here.

 

 

It would be a lie if Juyeon were to say easing into the trainee life wasn’t hard at all. It took her a couple weeks to get used to it, the life of a budding idol.

 

Juyeon was laying in her bed when she heard voices outside of her room. She recognized one of them as Daisy. The doorknob jiggled after the sound of a key turning in the lock. She sat up, curious as to who was coming in her dorm.

 

It wouldn’t be a lie if Juyeon were to say that her breathe hitched when she laid eyes on the girl entering her room.

 

She scrambled up from her bed, noticing that the other girl was wide eyed and speechless. It was replaced in an instant, though, after Juyeon stuttered out a greeting.

 

“Hi, you must be the new trainee we’ve been hearing about.”

 

“The name’s Bona.” The response was kind of cold, Juyeon’s outstretched hand going ignored as the new girl went and locked herself in the bathroom.

 

Juyeon fell back onto her bed, absolutely awestruck after the encounter with her new roommate. She took her breathe away, literally.

 

How was she supposed to focus on keeping up appearances? And not to forget, the real reason she was here.

 

Juyeon shook her head. She could not get distracted by a girl when she was on an important undercover mission. Her first ever mission at that.

 

 

The minute Jiyeon locked the bathroom door behind her, she let out a nervous sigh. She grabbed the sink and took a long look at herself in the mirror.

 

She was a professional at this point, having gone on multiple missions already. She would think that she could handle pretty much anything that is thrown at her.

 

Jiyeon wasn’t aware that her heart could ever beat this fast. Or that her heart could ever feel at all. And it was all because of the girl she was sent to look after. The girl she’s going to be rooming with.

 

She splashed her face with some cold water. She needed to snap out of it and ignore her feelings. Jiyeon slapped a fake smile onto her face and walked back into the room.

 

 

Dawon chucked a rolled up piece of paper across the table, missing her target. She tried again, but with a chunk of an eraser. It hit her friend on her forehead.

 

“Meiqi! Snap out of it.”

 

The girl pouted in response. “I’m really worried about her and how she’s doing.”

 

“I think she’d want us to focus on training so we could be recruited by Sojung.” Dawon closed her textbooks, stuffing them in her backpack before she swung it over her shoulder.

 

“Come on, let’s go to the gym.” Meiqi took the hand Dawon offered, ignoring the slight spark. She hid her shy smile from her friend.

 

They walked hand in hand all the way to the gym, not questioning why Dawon hadn’t let go the whole time. Meiqi wasn’t complaining.

 

She was content on just admiring Dawon from afar. They were better as best friends. Meiqi was sure Dawon didn’t feel the same and she was fine not knowing.

 

With Juyeon in mind, they worked out as hard as they could. It would be a dream for all three of them to be recruited by the legend Sojung herself.

 

It was just a known fact by now that Sojung would return to scout some potential members for her team. They were preparing to show her what they’ve got.

 

 

Dayoung laid on her bed, staring up at the ceiling. A lot of things were on her mind. She had the mission to think about, her somewhat stale CIA career, and how she stumbled upon Eunseo trying to break into the CEO’s office.

 

A rookie move.

 

It just confirms her budding theory; that she was not alone on this mission. The CIA never mentioned anything about other players pursuing this supposedly crooked CEO, but she didn’t really mind having someone with her.

 

But of course, she couldn’t reveal her true identity. That’s rule number one in the undercover agent handbook.

 

It was a good thing Eunseo came, she needed that extra boost back into reality. And her reality was collecting information on a target, not training to become the next member in a famous idol group.

 

But now she had to be careful around her new friend, who seems to be way in over her head.

 

Then it clicked in her mind. The new trainee, Bona, could very well be her partner. Dayoung sat up abruptly. She needed to keep her eyes on the look out for signs between them.

 

She shook her head and groaned. The mission she was on should be the main focus, yet here she was worrying about other undercover agents.

 

 

Juyeon and Dayoung sat along the mirror wall with the rest of the trainees as they watched Bona dance a routine flawlessly. Everyone had their jaws dropped in awe.

 

A routine that took everyone a week to get down when it didn’t even take the new trainee a full day. Bona blushed at the applauses she received from her peers and the dance teacher.

 

“Now that is how you do it, kids!” Their dance teacher exclaimed. “Alright, everyone is dismissed!”

 

Dayoung looked at her friend to her left and snapped her fingers. “Earth to Eunseo.”

 

The older girl flinched so hard that she slid onto the floor, receiving a cackle from Dayoung.

 

Juyeon gave her a pointed glare, rubbing the side of her hip as she stood up. She stuck out a hand for Dayoung to grab so she could pull her up.

 

Dayoung squinted her eyes quizzically. “Don’t tell me you have a crush on her.” She whispered to Juyeon, eyeing Bona across the room animatedly talking to their dance instructor.

 

“On who?”

 

The younger girl scoffed, knowing the full truth and feeling half unsettled and half amused. She gave her friend a meaningful look before she turned to walk out the dance room. Dayoung didn’t miss the way the taller girl’s eyes drifted towards Bona one last time before they left.

 

It confirmed Dayoung’s last bit of suspicion. Eunseo has no idea who Bona is, but does Bona knows who Eunseo is?

 

 

Dayoung has also seen the way Bona steals glances at Eunseo. It’s not like she seeks out these private moments, she just happens to have a keen sense of observation. She thanks her years of experience as a CIA agent.

 

It didn’t make sense to her. If they weren’t partners, what were they? Why does one know the other while the other has no idea?

 

She just had to accept the fact that maybe she will never know the answers to these questions.

 

 

With rigorous training everyday, it’s a miracle Dayoung could still somehow find the energy to snoop around for information.

 

She hasn’t spotted Eunseo sneaking around lately, although she just hasn’t seen much of the taller girl in general.

 

Or Bona for that matter.

 

After coming up with nothing, Dayoung dragged herself up the stairs from the floor below, pushing open the big metal door that led into the hallway for their dorm rooms.

 

She immediately hid around the corner after spotting Bona and Eunseo coming from the direction of the elevator. She squinted her eyes to get a better look.

 

Bona had her arms wrapped around Eunseo.

 

Oh? Dayoung thought.

 

As soon as their door shut, Dayoung swiftly ran up to the door, putting her ear against the door to eavesdrop.

 

She immediately backed away from the door as if it burnt her, she had heard them exchanging intimate words and Dayoung suddenly regretted even thinking to snoop on them.

 

Dayoung was sure of one thing though. Whatever those two had going on was a recipe for disaster.

 

 

Ever since Jiyeon walked in on a barely clothed, fresh out of the shower Eunseo, things took a turn. She couldn’t even deny the pull she felt towards the other girl.

 

And she hated feeling this way.

 

She knew better. She knew not to make her missions personal, that’s why the academy liked to utilize her.

 

And she knew it wouldn’t end well.

 

Eunseo had looked at her, wide eyed, frantically covering her already covered body.

 

“Sorry.” Jiyeon turned around and closed her eyes, taking a deep, shaky breath.

 

Eunseo had no idea who Jiyeon really was, she was sure of that. It didn’t hurt her ego to know that she wasn’t familiar with Jiyeon, seeing as she kept herself secret in comparison to her best friend Sojung.

 

Maybe just this one time, Jiyeon could let go and just feel.

 

 

Juyeon froze at the close proximity Bona was in. She was confused at this sudden shift in behavior from the usually cold girl.

 

She faltered under Bona’s deep stare.

 

Juyeon was speechless and immobile. She prayed that her heartbeat wasn’t too loud for Bona to hear.

 

A million different thoughts were flying around in her head at their current moment and they were all swept away in an instant.

 

Bona’s lips were on hers.

 

The shorter girl stood on her tip toes to place a soft kiss on the taller girl’s lips. Just as soon as it registered in Juyeon’s mind, Bona pulled back to touch her nose against hers.

 

Juyeon had to hold in a nervous laugh. A girl like Bona liked eskimo kisses? It was amusing to say the least.

 

“What-“

 

Bona shushed the younger girl, placing her lips back onto Juyeon’s. It’s better if they didn’t talk about it right now. It would only make them reconsider doing what they’re doing. And they don’t want to do that.

 

 

It was unsettling how quickly Juyeon had fallen. She hadn’t known Bona for long, but there was something about the other girl that pulled her in.

 

“Daisy?” The girl in question popped her head up from their stretching position. It was time for another brutal dance practice. “Have you ever been in love?”

 

Juyeon watched as her friend furrowed her brows. “We’re pretty young.”

 

She sighed heavily. “How do you think you’ll know when you’re in love?”

 

Dayoung pondered deeply. “I think it’s different for everyone. But you’ll know when you know.”

 

The conversation was cut short when other trainees filed into the dance studio. Dayoung watched Eunseo as she unsubtly looked around for a certain someone, presumably Bona.

 

Dayoung let out a breathe, nervous for what’s to come.

 

 

Jiyeon had let her dance instructor know before practice that she was sick with the stomach flu. An obvious lie. She pretended to be asleep until the halls were clear of trainees and teachers.

She had been so caught up in everything that she had been neglecting her job. It was almost nearing the month mark and she was admittedly getting antsy at the thought of being undercover for so long.

 

Jiyeon hasn’t noticed Eunseo doing anything out of the ordinary, they’ve just been busy with each other to be doing other things.

 

She shook her head to clear her mind. She had to focus on snooping.

 

After days of walking past the CEO’s office whenever he would enter, Jiyeon had figured out the code to open the doors. The lights were off when she slid inside, making sure to close the door behind her.

 

The CEO was out of town for the day and she took the chance to check out his office. She shuffled around, switching on a small flashlight she had in her pocket.

 

She went straight for his desk, opening all the cabinets to find something incriminating. His desk was weirdly clean and empty, besides a bunch of folders shoved into the biggest drawer on the bottom.

 

It was strange and out of place. Jiyeon knelt down as she looked under the pulled out drawer. It looked hollow and the bottom seemed to jiggle when she put her hand on it.

 

There was something in there.

 

Jiyeon carefully removed all the folders, revealing a latch on the bottom of the wooden drawer. She pulled it up, gasping quietly when she saw what was inside.

 

 

Bona was oddly silent for a few days, making Juyeon anxious. Was it her fault? Did something happen? Did she say something wrong? She was overthinking.

 

She was just sick the other day, maybe she still feels uneasy?

 

Juyeon got back to their room after solo singing lessons, finding Bona shuffling around her closet.

 

“Hey.”

 

Juyeon cringed at how awkward she sounded. They only seem to communicate better through actions, words were never their strong suit.

 

They knew how they felt about each other, that much was a fact. Something so deep that they couldn’t quite put it in words yet.

 

The older girl put on a coat and grabbed another to toss to Juyeon. “Come with me.” She let Bona drag her up the stairs, all the way to the rooftop.

 

 

Dayoung refused to believe it, but her paranoia was getting to her. She felt like someone had been following and watching her for the past week. She had a bad feeling in the pit of her stomach when she walked out of her solo singing lesson.

 

The feeling intensified when the front desk lady told her the CEO wanted to see her.

 

Her gut told her to be cautious, so she hid a gun in her holster before she went to pay the CEO a visit.

 

Dayoung shook away her nerves, having her pokerface ready before she knocked on the office door.

 

“You wanted to see me?”

 

The CEO gestured for her to take a seat in the chair across from him.

 

“I know who you are, Im Dayoung.”

 

 

Juyeon gently pushed Bona away, but still kept her close. They were on the roof for a total of five minutes and all those minutes were spent with their lips on each other’s.

 

“What’s up?”

 

Bona’s lazy smile dropped slightly. “Hush.” Juyeon gave in when the shorter girl leaned in for another kiss.

 

In another life or in another world, they would be able to be together, Juyeon thought.

 

 

Dayoung didn’t show any emotion, opposite to what she was truly feeling inside. Fear.

 

“Is that so?” She crossed her arms, trying her best to look intimidating. He was foolishly bold. If he knew who she was, then he surely knew why she was there. It basically confirmed that he is crooked.

 

He called in his security guard. Dayoung didn’t make a move, but she could see the large man from the reflection of the glass cases behind the CEO’s desk.

 

Dayoung watched as the CEO pulled something from his bottom cabinet. He laid it out onto the desk. He jabbed a finger at it.

 

“This is the only piece of evidence that could send me to jail.”

 

Dayoung wasn’t sure what game he was playing. She questioningly arched her eyebrows. He immediately took it back into his hands before Dayoung could make a move.

 

“Get rid of her.” He said to the guard behind her. She stayed seated as the CEO walked towards his office door, lingering to see if his employee would listen to his demand.

 

Dayoung watched as he approached from behind. She made her move quickly. She grabbed a picture frame from the desk and whacked the big man in the face before kicking him in between the legs.

 

It hindered him enough so that she could get out of the office to chase down the cowardly CEO.

 

She chased him down the hall and towards the staircases. They ran up and up and before Dayoung knew it, she was barging out onto the rooftop of the building.

 

 

Jiyeon jolted away when she heard the rooftop door swing open, once and then twice not long after. She saw two blurs of people, one man and one girl. The girl had a gun. She pushed Eunseo behind her, protecting her out of instinct.

 

She watched in confusion as everything unfolded in front of her eyes. She tried her best to ignore how hard Eunseo was shaking. Jiyeon had her hand on her gun she kept on her just in case.

 

After a few minutes, she came back to her senses. “Daisy?”

 

An overload of emotions bombarded her. The mission was over, no thanks to her. She was too distracted and off her game to even notice something off about Daisy, or Dayoung now.

 

She was relieved to finally be able to go back to her real life. But she was anxious to let go of the life she made just the past month here.

 

Jiyeon felt Eunseo’s hand slip away from hers when she told Dayoung her real identity.

 

It was time to wake up.

 

 

Jiyeon spent no time lingering as she hurried to pack her things. She left before Eunseo could come back. It was better that she go quietly without having to see her again.

 

She plopped onto the bus seat as it took her towards the academy. She had to report to the headmaster what had happened and how she had failed to bring them any substantial news.

 

What she could only give them was what Dayoung had gathered all on her own. She told him to ask the CIA and what Dayoung had reported to them so they could work together.

 

“And how is Juyeon?” The headmaster set his glasses on the table.

 

Juyeon. A pretty name.

 

“Not sure. We didn’t interact much.”

 

The headmaster raised his eyebrows. He didn’t buy it, but he didn’t question her any further.

 

“We’d like to thank you for helping us with this mission, although the outcome wasn’t what we wanted.”

 

Jiyeon stood up to shake his hand. She just nodded in response as he continued.

 

“We wish you luck on Sojung’s team.” He smiled warmly as she stepped out his office.

 

“Thank you.”

 

 

Juyeon shouldn’t have felt surprised when she came back to her dorm to find Bona’s stuff gone.

 

Jiyeon’s stuff gone.

 

She shoved down her budding tears and began to pack her things. She couldn’t wait to see Meiqi and Dawon.

 

She didn’t care that the mission failed, she missed her friends. Juyeon needed them, especially now.

 

She zipped up her suitcase and took a seat on her bed. Juyeon looked around the empty room.

 

It was empty like her heart.

 

Juyeon groaned as she fell back. What has become of her? She knew what she was getting herself into, yet she reacted this way.

 

She thought about Jiyeon amongst all the other thoughts and questions flying around her head. If the academy sent her, then why hadn’t Juyeon ever seen her around?

 

Who was Jiyeon exactly? Would she ever see her again?

 

Juyeon grumbled to herself out loud. “Probably not.” She sighed as she heaved herself up from the bed.

 

She took one last look around, saying goodbye to her very first failure in life.

 

 

“Mei, did you answer the essay question already?” Dawon mindlessly asked as they sat in the library to do some homework.

 

When she didn’t get an immediate reply, she looked up at the other girl. Meiqi’s jaw was dropped, staring over Dawon’s shoulder.

 

“What’s up?” She herself turned around to see what Meiqi was gawking at.

 

It was Juyeon.

 

“Oh, my god!”

 

The two girls pummeled into their tall friend, giving the biggest hugs as Juyeon sniffled.

 

“I missed you guys so much.”

 

Meiqi swiftly landed a soft punch on Juyeon’s shoulder. “We were worried sick.”

 

Dawon raised her hands. “Correction: she was worried sick. I knew you could handle yourself!”

 

Juyeon chuckled as she watched Meiqi glare at Dawon. “Everything’s fine now that I’m back home with you guys.”

 

And everything would be fine, Juyeon told herself. She’d immerse herself back into training, in hopes to get recruited by a team. A team that she hopes is Sojung’s.

 

 

As luck would have it, Sojung did come back to the academy looking to recruit for a specific unit she had in mind. Juyeon, Meiqi, and Dawon were perfect for the kind of expertise the leader was searching for.

 

It had been months since Juyeon’s first mission undercover. The three waited and waited, trained day and night, for this day to finally come.

 

Juyeon drowned herself into training, unsuccessfully getting her mind off the girl who haunted her dreams every night.

 

They were going to graduate in the next month and being recruited would be a sure way to be on the right path after the academy.

 

Students were gathered in the gym, whispering about Sojung’s appearance back at the academy. People had seen her walking to the headmaster’s office for a meeting, and coming out to tell some people to join her in the gym.

 

Meiqi, Dawon, and Juyeon stood in the back, jumping up and down to shake off the nerves that they had. The room went silent apart from a few gasps as Sojung waltzed in.

 

“She’s so hot.” Dawon murmured to her friends. They didn’t react, but it wasn’t because they disagreed.

 

Sojung spread her hands out and grinned. “Well, show me what you got.”

 

 

“Do you think we did okay?” Meiqi worriedly asked as they plopped onto the gym mats.

 

The other students were slowly filing out of the room, having been beat in a sparring match with these three.

 

“Considering you guys wiped out your opponents in seconds,” they heard a voice behind them. “I’d say you guys did well.”

 

The three immediately stand up, hands to their sides as they automatically line up next to each other.

 

“Whoa, what’s with the formal stance!” Sojung cackled. “Please, treat me as if I’m your peer.”

 

They didn’t relax, but the tension in the air seemed to have disappeared. Sojung held a couple files in her hands, shuffling the pages around and nodding quietly to herself.

 

“I think it’s safe to say that I want you guys on my team.”

 

Juyeon blinked, her ears ringing as Dawon squealed and Meiqi grabbing them into a group hug. She couldn’t believe it. All the practices, all the training, has finally paid off. She had a future past the academy.

 

A future that involves doing something she loves.

 

She looked towards an amused Sojung, standing her distance as the academy students celebrated their recruitment.

 

“Thank you.”

 

Sojung narrowed her eyes at Juyeon. It said in her file that she had been on an undercover mission already, a hard feat to achieve as a student.

 

“No. Thank you.”

 

They all eagerly shook Sojung’s hands, getting an early congratulations for their upcoming graduation before she leaves the gym.

 

“I can’t believe it.” Meiqi gushed, Dawon squeezing her hand out of excitement. Juyeon finally smiled, it all starting to sink in.

 

“We’re going to be on a team together!”

 

 

Graduation came quicker than they expected and by the time it hit them, they were already lining up to receive their certificates.

 

“Meng Meiqi. Nam Dawon. Son Juyeon.”

 

One by one they shook hands with the headmaster. He whispered congratulations for the recruitment as he handed them their diplomas.

 

The three turn to the audience and take a bow. Juyeon spotted Sojung in the back with another girl by her side. She recognized her as Hyunjung, Sojung’s girlfriend.

 

Their new leader gave them an encouraging thumbs up. Dawon let out a hushed squeal as she squeezed her friends hands.

 

“We graduated!”

 

Meiqi and Juyeon turn to smile at each other, but something catches Juyeon’s eye. Or rather, someone.

 

Before she could look in that direction, her friends were ushering her off the stage. Whoever was there, wasn’t there anymore.

 

Juyeon blinked. She could have sworn she saw her. Jiyeon.

 

 

“So, they are our new recruits?” Hyunjung questioned her girlfriend, peering up at the stage. “They seem like close friends.”

 

“They are.” Sojung beamed proudly. “I can’t wait for them to meet the others.”

 

The leader then furrowed her brows, looking around. Hyunjung raised her eyebrow out of curiosity.

 

Sojung let out a sigh and spoke again. “Jiyeon probably already left.”

 

Hyunjung linked her arm with her girlfriend’s. “I don’t blame her. You know she didn’t like it here that much.”

 

Sojung nodded her head softly. Hyunjung was right, maybe she shouldn’t have told Jiyeon to come.

 

“I guess she’ll have to meet them on their first day with us.”

 

 

“Is it for celebratory drinks?!” Dawon swung her arms over her two best friends. They had just finished talking to Sojung and her girlfriend, their other team member, Hyunjung.

 

They really liked her, knowing of her when she still went to the academy. Hyunjung was equally as excited to have them join the team.

 

“I have no idea how you’re going to manage sneaking in alcohol.”

 

“Who said we’re sneaking it in?”

 

Juyeon’s eyes bulged. “You’re not considering that we sneak out.”

 

A wicked smile covered Dawon’s face as she pulled her friends towards the academy entrance.

 

“Relax! What can they do? We’ve already officially graduated.”

 

Meiqi bit her lip in thought. “I guess you have a point.”

 

Juyeon rolled her eyes as Dawon dragged the two out the door. This was definitely going to be a long night.

 

 

How they managed to wake up back in their dorms was beyond her. Dawon shivered, pulling the sheets towards her body. She hears a groan coming from right next to her.

 

She finally opens her eyes to look at her surroundings. The morning light was blinding. She fully turns around and is faced with a shirtless Meiqi.

 

The ear shattering screams were enough to wake their whole building.

 

And enough to shock Juyeon awake, resulting in her falling off her bed on the other side of the room.

 

“What- what’s going on?” She muttered, disoriented, from the ground. Juyeon definitely didn’t have as much to drink as the others, but they weren’t really used to alcohol.

 

She slowly stood up, grabbing her head as a piercing pain shot through. “Holy crap.” She squeezed her eyes shut, holding the edge of her bed with her two hands to steady herself.

 

A few seconds passed and the room was silent. Juyeon carefully furrowed her eyebrows and whipped around to look at her friends.

 

She blinked at the scene in front of her. Meiqi and Dawon in bed. Together. Without some clothes on.

 

A cackle erupted from Juyeon as she collapsed back on the ground from the sheer force of her laughter.

 

She ignored the look of bewilderment on her friend’s faces.

 

Bits and pieces started to flood back into Juyeon’s mind. She remembered helping those two back into the room and dropping them onto one bed to make things easier.

 

What happened after she flopped onto her own bed was a bit blurry. She could have sworn she heard noises coming from the other side of the room, but she was too drunk to think too hard about it.

 

If she knew any better, she would have thought they were kissing sounds.

 

Dawon’s groan snapped Juyeon out of her thoughts. “I totally out the minute we got back.”

 

Meiqi rubbed at her temples. “So did I.”

 

They looked expectantly at her. Juyeon went over her options. “It’s blurry, but I do remember getting to bed.”

 

A pregnant pause went by before Dawon addressed the elephant in the room.

 

“So do you know if we-,” she quickly gestured between her and Meiqi, “did anything?”

 

Juyeon stared at her friends.

 

You guys totally did.

 

“Nope. You guys knocked out so quick, practically snoring on the walk back to our room!”

 

It was best she didn’t tell them the truth.

 

Not that it would complicate the friendship that the three of them have, but because Juyeon wouldn’t want this to be how her friends start.

 

She noticed the way Meiqi looked at Dawon and the way Dawon treated her. Her friends had feelings for each other.

 

She turned to walk back towards her own bed, letting out a soft sigh. Juyeon was curious as to how this would all pan out, but for now, they all needed some much needed rest to get over this cruel hangover.

 

 

Sojung bounced up and down excitedly in the elevator, the other three looking at her strangely.

 

It was the combat unit’s first official day at the office and Sojung was eager to introduce them to her team. She was sure they were all going to get along.

 

It was a fairly busy day today, the team in the midst of gathering information for a new case that came their way earlier that same week.

 

They followed Sojung through the pretty empty office floor.

 

“These are your desks.” Sojung pointed at the small cubicles in the middle of the wide room. She didn’t stop as she walked right into the next room.

 

“This is the lounge.”

 

There were two other girls occupying the room, backs to them while they seemed to be making a pot of coffee by the sink.

 

Juyeon narrowed her eyes at one of them. Something about the one on the left felt familiar. And she was proven right.

 

“Yeoreum, Dayoung, meet the new recruits!”

 

The girls were giggling at something, but whipped around at the voice of their leader. Yeoreum’s smile didn’t falter while Dayoung’s giggle caught in .

 

Juyeon was shocked. She never expected to see Daisy here. Or Dayoung she should say.

 

“This is Meiqi, Dawon, and Juyeon.”

 

Yeoreum offered a kind wave and a nice to meet you, but Dayoung was slightly thrown off from seeing such a familiar face.

 

“Hey.”

 

Dayoung’s greeting was directed at Juyeon, but there was no chance for the new team member to reply before Sojung told the other three to follow her back out of the lounge.

 

She tried to catch Juyeon’s eye one more time before she was out of her sight. A wave of nervousness washed over her.

 

Judging by the shocked look on Juyeon’s face upon seeing her, she wasn’t expecting to see Dayoung ever again after the mission. She’s definitely going to be surprised to know that Jiyeon is on this team as well.

 

Dayoung grimaced slightly as she turned back to her coffee. This isn’t going to be pretty.

 

 

Jiyeon slumped out of the elevator, coffee in hand as she took off her sunglasses. She had another rough night out, by herself of course.

 

She was sure she’d get a mouthful from Sojung, who told her to be here half an hour ago to meet the new recruits.

 

Not a second later and Sojung walks out of her office, greeting Jiyeon with a glare.

 

“Come in, they’re just signing some paperwork.”

 

Jiyeon was very curious as to who her friend hand picked for their combat unit. From the way Sojung raved about them, they were definitely impressing.

 

“Hey guys, this is Jiyeon.”

 

She tried to give their backs an energetic wave when she halted her movements.

 

“I’m Dawon.” One of them turned around first after handing Sojung her paperwork.

 

“Meiqi.” The girl sitting next to Dawon introduced herself as.

 

Jiyeon gulped quietly, dreading what will surely come next.

 

Juyeon signed her last signature and happily gave her papers to Sojung. She turned to introduce herself when the words from fell silent.

 

 

Dayoung watched from her desk as Juyeon bolted towards the elevator, Jiyeon trailing far behind. This did not look good. She quickly got up to stop Jiyeon.

 

“Let me talk to her.”

 

Jiyeon sighed, throwing her hands up in defeat as she marched back in the direction she came from.

 

Dayoung hurried towards the elevator, throwing her hand in real quick before it could close.

 

They stood in silence as the elevator dinged every three seconds. Dayoung didn’t know what to say. She didn’t quite have a plan.

 

She knew she had to say something quick though, the silence was too deafening.

 

“Look.” Dayoung wrung her hands nervously, sticking her back to the walls of the elevator. “I know that the mission was a sensitive case, but I hope that we can be friends here, too.”

 

She decided not to bring up Jiyeon. Dayoung had to deal with what became of their fraudulent friendship while they were undercover. She never had the chance to speak with her afterwards.

 

And she never thought she would.

 

The least Dayoung could do now was offer up an apology for the way things ended.

 

The taller girl kept mum as Dayoung continued. “I’m sorry for the way things happened.”

 

Juyeon let out a long and deep sigh. “It’s not your fault.”

 

Dayoung looked up, finally making eye contact with Juyeon. She had a small smile on her face. “We’re good, Dayoung.”

 

“Great!” She reached for the button to bring them back to the office when Juyeon stopped her.

 

“Wait.”

 

“What is it?” Dayoung felt stupid for asking when she knows exactly what it is. She watched as Juyeon clenched her jaw ever so slightly.

 

“I’m not ready.” Juyeon’s words spoke volumes. Dayoung slid down the wall to take a seat on the now stopped elevator.

 

She debated whether or not to tell Juyeon that she knew what was going on between her and Jiyeon during the mission.

 

“I know it’s not ideal.” Dayoung started, ignoring Juyeon’s slightly widening eyes. “To be working with her.”

 

Juyeon stayed absolutely still and quiet as Dayoung spoke on. “But everything will be okay.”

 

Dayoung hoped that Juyeon believed her words of encouragement, knowing deep down that those two would have a particularly rough road ahead of them.

 

“Thanks, Dayoung.”

 

 

Meiqi furrowed her eyebrows as she watched Juyeon dart out of Sojung’s office. What was up with her?

 

“Where do you think she went?”

 

Dawon shrugged absentmindedly. “Probably went to the bathroom.” Meiqi sighed at her friend’s obliviousness.

 

She turned back to her paperwork, taking a little longer than the others since she had extra paperwork to fill out. Sojung had introduced her specifically to the other two Chinese members the team had.

 

Meiqi was excited to get closer to them, they seemed really sweet and smart. She wants to learn from their skills and expertise.

 

Sojung leaned forward to whisper as Meiqi handed her the papers. “Is Juyeon usually like that?”

 

Meiqi didn’t hesitate, in fear that Sojung would have a bad impression of her best friend. “No. She must have had to go to the bathroom really badly or something.”

 

Sojung let out a hearty laugh, Meiqi’s nerves dimming down.

 

This was a start of a new journey for the three of them. It was a blessing that they ended up in the same team, and they had Sojung to thank for keeping them together.

 

 

Sojung smiled fondly at her team. Her detective unit, her close friends from the academy and Dayoung. Her new combat unit, the three musketeers. Soobin heading their forensics unit.

 

She was pleased with how her team was all finally falling into place, but there was still one thing missing.

 

Sojung was pacing around the coffee shop, eager for her caffeine for the morning, and shivering from the unusual rainy day.

 

She felt a tap on her shoulder and she whipped around, probably too fast, seeming as the person behind her flinched.

 

“Yes?”

 

It was a young girl holding a laptop. She seemed to be around Dayoung and Yeoreum’s age, Sojung guessed.

 

“You’re Sojung.”

 

Sojung’s eyebrows rose in curiosity. “Do I know you?”

 

“No, but you will.”

 

 

Sojung gave the girl a small smile. “And who might you be?”

 

“Your next recruit.” The girl beamed as she took out her hand for a formal shake. “Yeonjung.”

 

The team leader couldn’t help but chuckle at the young girl’s confidence and forwardness.

 

“Are you from the academy?” She shook her head. “Then how do you know me?”

 

“Research.” Yeonjung said as she gestured to her laptop. “I’ve been trying to find a team.”

 

The barista called out Sojung’s name and she quickly excused herself to go grab it. She had nearly forgotten that she was in a coffee shop.

 

She took a seat in one of the corners and gestured for Yeonjung to come sit. She was curious and amused, to say the least. Sojung wanted to know what Yeonjung had to say.

 

“What are your skill sets?”

 

Yeonjung gave her wide eyes, hesitating to give her the truthful answer. “I-I’m a hacker.”

 

Sojung’s left eyebrow twitched upwards. “Is that so?”

 

The young girl shut her eyes and groaned. “Okay.” She took a deep breath. “I hacked club penguin in the fifth grade and got caught. But after that, I swore to myself that I’d get better at hacking so I wouldn’t get in trouble ever again.”

 

Sojung paused for a couple seconds before she let out a tear jerking laugh. Yeonjung looked mortified.

 

She gasped for air as she was bent over, trying to collect herself in front of the girl she had only just met ten minutes ago.

 

“I apologize.” Sojung got a grip and held her composure. “And did you ever get into trouble again?”

 

“Not once.” Yeonjung softly grinned.

 

Sojung pondered on this interaction. Maybe Yeonjung was the missing piece, the final piece, of their team.

 

 

“What do you think of her?” Sojung asked quietly to Xuanyi. They were watching Yeonjung tap away on the computers with Luda sitting next to her, also watching her do her thing.

 

“I would have recruited her immediately after hearing about the club penguin hack.”

 

Sojung gave Xuanyi a look, the chinese girl ignoring her leader with a huge grin.

 

“I’m being serious.”

 

“And I’m not?” Xuanyi held back another laugh. “I like her. She’s got skills.”

 

Sojung wanted to take in the others opinions of Yeonjung. She wished for good vibes between the members, and to test the young girl to see if she could match well with the rest of the team.

 

Luda got up to walk towards them. “She’s really good.” She smiled, giving Yeonjung a proud motherly look, before looking back at her team members. “Sojung you have to recruit her.”

 

 

Yeonjung nervously sat, a slightly uncomfortable smile on her face as Sojung stared at her from across her desk.

 

“Who am I kidding.” Sojung mumbled before she broke out into a grin. She jumped up with her arms wide open. “You can join the team!”

 

To be honest, Sojung knew she felt something when they met at the coffee shop, but she couldn’t explain it then.

 

Now, with Yeonjung happily squealing and shaking hands with her, she thinks she knows what it was about the young girl.

 

The warmth that she radiates.

 

Sojung liked to think she had a keen sense of sniffing out fake people, but everything about Yeonjung seemed to click with her.

 

“I’ll do my best, boss!” Yeonjung squeezed their hands. Sojung patted her back as they walked out of her office.

 

This was it. Her final team of thirteen. Sojung finally felt whole.

 

 

Some time had passed by, the group growing and working together as they spent every waking second in each other’s company.

 

They have finally established themselves as a trustworthy force. And that is all Sojung could ever ask for.

 

She felt stable enough for the next big move in her life. Sojung was finally going to ask Hyunjung to marry her.

 

She just had no idea how she wanted to propose; how Hyunjung would want her to propose. She immediately shot Jiyeon a text, asking for an emergency meet in her office.

 

Not two seconds later, Jiyeon is swinging the door open.

 

“How did you get here so quickly?” Sojung sat up in her chair, hands clasped together. “I was expecting to wait another hour or so.” She joked.

 

Jiyeon rolled her eyes and shoo’d off the jab. “What’s the emergency?”

 

Sojung got up, closing the office door behind her friend. “I’m going to propose to Hyunjung.”

 

Jiyeon blinked once, then twice. Sojung saw what came next from a mile away. Her teammate doubled over in laughter, gasping for air as she held onto the arm of one of the chairs.

 

Sojung scowled at her. Jiyeon in a big breath and let it out slowly, composing herself before speaking. “Any idea on how you’re going to do that?”

 

“No.” Sojung looked away, embarrassed. “That’s why I asked you to come.”

 

Jiyeon’s eyebrows raised. “Why me? You could’ve asked anyone else.” She was definitely not the one to ask about anything love related, and she was sure Sojung knew that.

 

“You’re our closest friend. It would mean a lot to us if you helped out.” Jiyeon’s face softened. She really was happy for her two friends and how far they’ve come. They deserved the happiness that their future is surely going to bring.

 

“Fine, I’ll help.”

 

 

Hyunjung stepped onto the roof top, weirded out about the cryptic text message she got from Jiyeon. She was in the middle of filing stacks of her reports when her phone buzzed with the message.

 

Jiyeon: Meet me on the roof for further instructions.

 

She spotted her friend, holding some sort of letter in her hand. “What’s going on?” Hyunjung was bordering on creeped out, seeing the way Jiyeon was holding back a grin.

 

Her friend stayed mute, handing the letter for her to open and read. Hyunjung gave Jiyeon one last weird look before she flipped the card open.

 

To the love of my life:

From the moment we met, I knew in my heart that you were going to be my forever.

Even through our ups and downs, nothing could change the way I feel about wanting you by my side for eternity. 

 

Hyunjung’s eyebrows furrowed. “What is this?” She whispered quietly, tears welling up in her eyes. Jiyeon finally grinned and turned Hyunjung around slowly.

 

Sojung was on one knee, the rest of their team standing behind her with a banner that read: will you marry me?

 

“Hyunjung, I-“

 

“Yes! A million times yes!”

 

Hyunjung collided into Sojung, knocking them both down onto the ground as they embraced happily. Sojung kissed her fiancé, chuckling as her team cheered noisily next to them.

 

Sojung looked up at Jiyeon, mouthing a thank you. She watched as Jiyeon turned away to quickly wipe a stray tear.

 

Amongst all the commotion, their team mates fighting on who gets to be a bridesmaid and the maid of honor, Sojung had her eyes on one person.

 

“I love you.”

 

Hyunjung wrapped her arms around her fiancé, her team leader, her partner, her eternity.

 

“Forever and always.”