Memories.

Memories. [one-shot]

 

He pulled out a picture out of his wallet. The corners were slightly folded and crinkled and he tried to flatten the picture. He gave up and stared at the two faces staring back at him. They had smiles stretching from ear to ear, their eyes barely visible as they formed crescents. Sunggyu sighed and stared at the picture longer, tracing his fingers along the letters at the bottom of the picture.

 

“Forever.”

 

“What are you doing?” Sunggyu asked as Woohyun wrapped his arm around him.

“Just hold still, I want to take a picture” he answered back as he raised his polaroid camera near their faces.

“Wait, why is the camera so close to our face?” Sunggyu asked as he raised one arm to cover his face and the other arm to push the camera away. “Why do you want to take a picture?”

Woohyun began to laugh.

“What’s so funny?” Sunggyu asked suspiciously.

Woohyun stopped laughing and stared at Sunggyu. Sunggyu noticed he was staring and began to blush, he turned away. Woohyun leaned forward and quickly pecked Sunggyu on his cheek. Sunggyu placed his hand over his cheek, eyes wide and stared at the boy that had just kissed him.

“Because I want to remember this day.” Woohyun answered.

Sunggyu just stared back, “B-but what’s so special about today?” he stuttered.

Woohyun smiled, “This is the day I confess to the boy that I’ve loved for a long time.”

Sunggyu’s eyes widened at the sudden confession, “Do…Do you mean me?” he asked cluelessly.

Woohyun laughed, “Pabo.”

 

Sunggyu shook his head, trying to make the memory fade away. How long ago was that again? Sunggyu couldn’t remember; it’s been a long time. He looked out the window and jumped a little. He was already at his destination. He quickly scrambled and raised his arm and pushed the button to tell the bus to stop at the next station.

As he got off he noticed his hands felt empty.

The picture.

He turned around to get back on, but the doors had already closed and the bus began to slowly depart. He could have ran for it but Sunggyu just stared at the bus driving away, taking away his last memory with it.

“I guess it’s a sign…” he said solemnly to himself. He kicked the pebbles on the ground and looked up at the sky, “Good riddance.”

He turned around on his heel and started to walk, still feeling slightly empty.

 

“Let me see!” he said eagerly.

“Hold up hyung! The film still has to process.”

“Let me just hold it, please!” he asked childishly.

“Fine fine you baby” Woohyun answered teasingly and handed the film over to Sunggyu.

The film slowly began to process and an image slowly faded into view.

“Hey! Can we please re-take this picture!” Sunggyu whined.

“Why? I like it!” Woohyun said laughing.

“I don’t have any eyes!”

Woohyun laughed, “Since when did you ever have eyes Kim Sunggyu?” he teased.

“You! Say that again! I dare you.”

“Okay. You. Don’t. Have. Eyes.” Woohyun emphasized each word and quickly snatched the photo away from Sunggyu’s grip.

“Hey!” Sunggyu said, “Give it, I don’t like it! Take another one!” he argued.

“Nope! I like this one and we’re keeping it.” Woohyun stretched his arms as high as he could.

Sunggyu reached forward and stretched his arms as well.

They were standing so close to each other Woohyun leaned forward and gave Sunggyu a peck on the lips.

Sunggyu jumped back and a faint blush began to form.

 

He looked at his watch, the bus was late. Woohyun dropped down to the bus stop bench and sighed. Woohyun cursed his luck; he was going to be late for his first day of university. There were some other students waiting at the bus stop and many of them continued to complain about the scheduled bus being late.

Woohyun shivered as an autumn breeze blew by. He pulled his jacket tighter to his body. He looked at his watch again; the bus was 15 minutes late. Woohyun released a sigh and stood up. He didn’t want to wait any longer, he’d just look for another bus route.

He looked at the red and yellow leaves that engulfed the sidewalk. It was fall and the leaves had begun to fall. He took a step forward but stopped as a gust of chilling wind blew past him. He looked up to see a green leaf floating in the air.

Without much thought he began to walk forward, following the leaf that was dancing in the wind, carelessly drifting.

Woohyun stopped and stared as the leaf slowly fell into the fountain. Woohyun had somehow ended up in the middle of the park, next to the fountain. He sighed again and sat on the cold marble walls of the fountain. He turned his body and stared at his reflection.

 

“Do you think I’m handsome?” Woohyun asked curiously as he stared at his reflection in the calm waters.

Sunggyu laughed, “No.”

Woohyun punched his arm and turned his body away from Sunggyu with his arms folded.

“Oh, is my Namu mad?” Sunggyu teased.

“Go away.”

Suddenly he felt a pair of arms wrap around his body and tightly squeeze him. Sunggyu leaned forward and rested his chin on Woohyun’s shoulder.

His warm breath tickled Woohyun’s ear and a shiver ran up his spine.

“I don’t think you’re handsome Woohyun…” Sunggyu whispered.

But before Woohyun could react or answer Sunggyu continued, “…I think you’re beautiful.”

 

He tightly gripped the edge of the marble wall until his knuckles began to turn white. He looked at his reflection.

“Lies.” He whispered and slapped the water, blurring his reflection and sending ripples.

He wiped his hands dry on his pants and stood up. He continued to walk, in search of a bus stop.

After a few minutes of walking he saw the familiar colour sign indicating a station and ran to it.

He stopped.

“Why did it have to be this station?” He asked himself.

 

“Are you alright?” Sunggyu asked as he began to brush the water droplets that had formed on his jacket.

“Yeah, it’s just water.” Woohyun answered with a smile.

“Well, I just don’t want you to catch a cold, that’s all.”

Woohyun smiled, Sunggyu was caring and warm.

“Don’t worry, I won’t get sick. I promise!” Woohyun laughed.

“You better not!” he jokingly threatened.

It had suddenly rained, but it wasn’t the typical drizzle, but a storm. Luckily they had found a bus station with a cover.

Woohyun shivered, his clothing was soaked. He turned to look at Sunggyu who was also wet and shivering.

Woohyun inched a little closer to Sunggyu and gently grabbed his hand.

Sunggyu turned to look at Woohyun surprised.

Woohyun leaned his head against Sunggyu’s shoulder.

He smiled and wrapped his arms around his lover and let Woohyun’s head fall onto his chest, fitting perfectly.

Suddenly Woohyun sneezed.

“Hey! You better not be getting sick!” Sunggyu exclaimed, “You promised!”

 

“That wasn’t the only promise that was broken.”

Woohyun walked away from his memories and stood on the opposite side of the bus station.

“What’s wrong with me today? Why today?”

He looked at his watch and as he dropped his arm down a bus began to slowly approach.

He took out his bus pass and got onto the bus.

He reached a seat near the back.

He sat near the window, his favourite seat.

 

“Why do you like the window seat so much?”

“I like to see the beautiful city.”

“But sometimes we’re going too fast to see anything.” he argued

“If you look close enough, or concentrate on one thing, you’ll be able to see the beauty.”

Sunggyu paused and looked at Woohyun.

Woohyun inched his face closer to Sunggyu

“But whenever I look at you, even if we’re moving fast or standing still, I can always see your beauty.”

Woohyun felt a punch on his shoulder.

“You greasy pabo.”

 

He wiped the condensation that had formed on the window.

“Please stop.”

Silence.

“I don’t want to remember.”

Suddenly he felt someone tap his shoulder; he turned to see an elderly woman.

“Excuse me, I believe you dropped this”

Woohyun looked down at the grandma’s wrinkled hands and she held a crumbled paper.

“Oh, no I didn-“ he was cut short as the elderly woman placed the paper in his hands and walked out of the bus.

“But –“ he said defeated.

He sighed. The paper was crumpled and small. He slowly unfolded the paper.

 

His breath got caught in his throat. He couldn’t breathe.

It was a picture.

A picture of 2 boys smiling, with arms over each other’s shoulder, both of them with their eyes forming crescents as they smiled. The picture reminded him that it had been a while since he’s seen it…not the picture but…

Happiness.

 

“Was it something I did?” he asked, his voice full of sadness and worry.

“No, it’s not like that…” there was a pause, “It’s just…it’s about time.”

“Time for what?” there was tears beginning to form.

“Time to stop.” His voice empty.

“Stop what?!” his voice was beginning to become louder.

“TIME TO STOP PRETENDING!” he lashed out, with tears flowing down his eyes. Woohyun turned away from Sunggyu who stood there unable to understand what Woohyun had just said to him.

There was silence and only the sound of the wall clock could be heard.

“I’m sorry…” Woohyun said and walked out the door.

The door slammed and Sunggyu fell to the floor with tears flowing freely from his eyes.

“What ever happened to ‘forever’?” he whispered through his sobs.

 

“It was all a lie.” He whispered as he continued to walk along the street kicking every pebble and leaf. Sunggyu sighed and gave up and continued to walk normally.

He hated him.

He hated him so much.

But whenever he would think about Woohyun, his heart yearned for something he hadn’t felt for a while.

Love.

Now he felt empty, a piece of his heart missing.

 

“What is it?” he asked as he inspected the velvet box in his hands.

“Open it.” He said nervously.

Woohyun opened the box carefully and his eyes glistened as his gaze fell open a heart shaped necklace. He looked at Sunggyu, “What’s this?”

Sunggyu was blushing, “It’s uhm…it’s a necklace.” He paused and looked stared at his drink, “For you and me.” He whispered.

Woohyun pulled out the chain, the heart was engraved with “Forever. WooGyu.”

There was a line splitting the middle, curiously Woohyun pulled the heart apart and it separated along the middle.

One read, “For Woo” and the other side read, “Ever Gyu”.

Woohyun smiled.

“I love it!” Woohyun said.

Sunggyu looked up, “Really?” he asked.

“Yes!” he said, “Forever WooGyu” he repeated, “It sounds nice!”

“Forever WooGyu”

 

“Stop it”

 

“Here I’ll put it on you!”

 

“Just stop”

 

“Are you always going to wear it?”

“Forever.”

 

“Stop!” he shouted as he was jerked back into reality. He grabbed a handful of grass and threw it into the air in frustration. He reached into his shirt and pulled out the silver necklace.

“For Woo.” He whispered, “Forever WooGyu” he said.

“There’s no such thing as FOREVER” he shouted, frustrated he created a fist and got ready to throw the necklace into the river, but stopped.

 

He couldn’t do it.

He just couldn’t.

He sighed and clasped the necklace around his neck.

He stood up and brushed the grass off his pants and began to walk, as the sunset painted the sky.

 

“How did you know what I wanted?”

“You always order the same drink” he laughed.

 

“I’ll have a Caramel Macchiato.” He told the waitress, she nodded and walked away after Sunggyu’s order was placed. Sunggyu didn't know how he ended up in this cafe, but he felt like he was pulled back here.

Soon after his drink had arrived, he took a sip and let the warm sweet liquid comfort his fast beating heart.

Lately, it’s been beating fast and this feeling of emptiness and yearning to be filled had not gone away. He took another sip.

 

“Just try it!”

“Fine fine” he took a small sip and made a face, “It’s too sweet.”

Sunggyu pouted, “Fine. Go order your drink, Earl Black or whatever…”

Woohyun laughed, “It’s tea and it’s called…”

 

“Earl Grey please.” Someone said in the background.

Sunggyu sighed and stared into his drink, admiring the well-designed foam.

“Do I miss him?” he asked himself.

He stopped and stared at his drink.

I miss him.

 

“Here’s your drink sir.” The young waitress said.

“Thank you.” Someone said in the background again.

 

There was a sudden breeze that entered into the shop and Woohyun shivered.

“No matter where I go, I shiver.” He thought to himself. He took a sip of his warm tea and sighed at the comforting warmth.

The last time he was in this café was…he stopped himself.

It was with him.

 

“Whoa! This place looks so nice!” Woohyun said as he admired the décor and sweet fragrance of coffee.

“I know right? I came here once and I really wanted to take you here.” Sunggyu said.

“I’m really glad you did” he smiled, touching the wooden tables.

 “Let’s come here all the time.”

Sunggyu smiled and gave a peck on Woohyun’s cheek.

Woohyun smiled and blushed, “Kim Sunggyu, did you just…initiate?” he said teasingly.

Sunggyu blushed.

“So cute.” Woohyun cued.

“Promise me…”

Woohyun tilted his head, “What?”

“Promise me, you’ll only come to this café with me. Promise me.” He said as he stuck his pinky finger out.

Woohyun laughed, “I promise” and entwined their fingers together.

 

“Another broken promise.” He thought

I’m sorry.

He felt his heart beat fast. A strange feeling started to rise.

I’m sorry.He said again.

I’m sorry and...

He paused and stared at his warm tea, wrapping his fingers tightly around the cup trying to find warmth but his heart felt lost and cold.

…I miss you Gyu.

 

There was another breeze.

The picture on the table was lifted and slowly drifted in the air, and landed next to a stranger’s foot.

Woohyun put his cup down and stood up to pick it up.

A hand reached down and picked up the picture.

Woohyun walked over.

“Thank you.”

The stranger gave the picture to Woohyun.

“No problem.”

 

Woohyun looked over to the stranger that picked up the photo.

Sunggyu looked up at the stranger holding the picture.

Their eyes met.

Their hearts were beating fast.

The feeling of emptiness slowly disappeared.

 

“Gyu…”

“Namu…”

 

There was silence.

They stood there staring at each other for a while, each with their hand on the picture.

 

“I’ve been thinking about you a lot lately.” They said in unison.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

How was it? :D

Comment please~ I want to hear what you guys thought about it!!~