Book 2 Preview

Fearless
Please log in to read the full chapter

~

 

~

 

~

 

~

 

SNEAK PEAK OF FEARLESS 2: CHANYEOL

~

 

~

 

~

 

~

 

Okay it wasn't that far.

Byun Baekhyun studied the tiny garden that was four stories below him. He stared from one of three windows that belonged to the top floor of the New York City brownstone of Steven and Tiffan, his guardians. Not that they 'guarded' him very much. Steve was a CIA friend of his dad's from way back when. "Way back when" was the type of vagueness he was used to growing up in a spy environment.

"Baekhyun?"

He flinched at the sound of his own name. Tiffany's voice was breathy and full of fake intimacy, yet reached all corners of the house without losing any volume.

"Baek-hyuuuuuun!" Tiffany sang impatiently from one floor below.

Baekhyun pushed the window open and it creaked with age and its lead chain and counterweight.

"Baekhyun? Our guests will be here any minute! Come down now! Steve asked you to set the table half an hour ago!" She was so whiny.

Baekhyun smelled bland casserole flavours drifting upstairs towards him, mixed with Tiffany's too-strong perfume. Steve was sweet and a terrible cook but he was no doubt better than his airhead wife. The unofficial rule for when company was arriving was that Steve prepared the food and Tiffany prepared herself.

Baekhyun grabbed five dollars, stuffed it into his pant's pocket. Keys or no keys? That was the question, No keys, Baekhyun decided before carefully climbing out of the window. Even if Tiffany wasn't aware of it, Baekhyun had zero intentions of eating dinner with the guests, they were certain to have a lot of questions from the blow-in off the streets about his parents, his past, his parents, his future, his parents, his parents and Baekhyun just could not answer those types of questions right now. People over the age of thirty had a need to ask 'young people' far too many questions. In fact, Baekhyun had never agreed to show his face at this dinner, he had told Tiffany that he would rather jump out of the window and he hadn't been kidding.

Baekhyun could smell autumn in the air as mid-October had arrived and the overwhelming stench of garlic came from a nearby Italian restaurant. He missed his old life with his parents in a normal suburb where he would leave the house and smell a fire from the chimnies of the houses around him. That life felt like it belonged to a different person.

He knelt on the windowsill and slowly lowered himself, looking for somewhere for the tip of his shoe to grip onto. His arms were trembling from the difficulty of having to hold up his entire body weight on the tiny ledge. At last, he found somewhere to put his foot and now all he had to do was find another. Suddenly, the piece of brick his foot was on snapped and broke off as he had just released his fingers from the ledge and he went down. He didn't scream but merely winced, not losing his cool just yet. He fell to the first floor before his hands managed to grab the windowsill there which hurt like a , his arms wouldn't be without pain now for a couple of days. However, he did not panic and kept his breathing at a normal pace since he was a freak who didn't feel fear. Any other normal human being would have their pants out of fear but of course he didn't. He would never be afraid of anything, ever. Scientists had done some experimenting on him when he was a kid and had come to the conclusion that either the gene that controlled fear was missing or just inactive.

Baekhyun heard a noise from inside the window and swore to himself in his head. It was Tiffany. She had heard the noise that Baekhyun had made and was looking out of the window into the darkness. Baekhyun despised her and had to control gimself from shoving her into the wall every time he saw her stupid, plastic face. 

Baekhyun's fingers were really struggling to hold him up now and were cramping up. Somewhere in a perfect alternate universe, Tiffany would have just thought it was a pigeon and ignored the noise, leaving Baekhyun to escape the house in peace. But no, not in this universe. She came right up to the window, trying to open it but struggling since it was a bit old and dingy. Baekhyun glnced over his shoulder to see the distanc

Please log in to read the full chapter