~ 1 ~

Fearless
Please log in to read the full chapter

• BAEKHYUN •

Personally, I don't think that there is a need for a first day if you start at a new school. What you do is you take your first day and put it somewhere next month so that by the time it gets to it, you've already spent a month at school. No big deal.

I've only just moved to New York last week and tomorrow is what would have been my first day at a new school but I've moved it. I've got thirty days before I have to deal with it. It'll just be a normal day. I'll grab a tshirt and jeans and put them on. Then of course I will try on a million other tshirts and hundreds of different pairs of jeans until I find the right combination. I need them to disguise my huge arms and thunder thighs, as in muscle. I am kind of muscular. I won't clean my mess afterwards because I wouldn't want my new 'carers' to think I'm like that. Why disappoint them? I disappointed the last 'carers' and now look, I don't live with them anymore.

Steven was my dad's CIA mentor. He's about fifty years old and is married to some thirty year old, Tiffany, who thinks she's seventeen. She always manages to find a way to show off her stomach or wear those stretchy pieces of fabric that can only pass for a skirt of you stand completely still. The red hair is the worst. Not ginger red, but like red red. The three of us live in a brownstone in Greenwich Village.

I don't know how I ended up here. My dad certainly didn't arrange this, he's out of the picture. He didn't even visit me when I almost fractured my skull last year. I haven't seen or heard from him since I was twelve. That was when....okay wait. Back up. Let me explain. My name is Baekhyun. Bay. Kyun. I know, don't even ask. Byun Baekhyun. Of course that's not my real name, well, my surname isn't real, the government issued me a fake surname to hide me from my dad's 'enemies'.

I am seventeen. Not sixteen, usually associated with sweet which I am anything but. I've got a black belt in kung fu and I'm trained in karate, judo, jujitsu and I'm awesome at kickboxing. My reflex speed is off the charts, I have a near perfect shot, I can climb mountains, box, wrestle, break codes in four languages. I am so strong it's a bit odd. I'm not trying to brag believe me. I wish my dad hasn't made me into this...thing.

I have blonde hair. Because of this, guys expect me to hit on them and teachers give me a default grade of B-, C+ if you're part of some sort of athletic team or wear a letterman jacket, which I'm not and I don't. I used to dye my hair when I was about fourteen or fifteen but I stopped because it got annoying and turned my hands orange. I also like the fact that other guys think they can pick on me because I'm blonde and short and hide my muscles well.

I have this thing. I am hormonally challenged. I am never afraid. I just don't have the gene.

Don't worry I won't pull a Bella Swan and jump off a cliff, I am very rational. They say fear clouds reason, not that I would know. It's like asking a blind man to describe colours, I just don't know. I'm just fearless.

If I see the little guy being kicked around I'll step in. It's because I can. I've been trained to do so, I'm strong but I hate it.

My dad thought that I should be trained since I wouldn't be afraid to try and help those in need. It worked whatever he did. Better than he expected actually. He didn't consider nature.

Since nature didn't give me fear, it gave me something else to compensate. I have awesome speed, lots of energy and super strength all tripled because no fear holds me back. I just don't get it. I understand in my head about danger and being careful, I just don't feel it in my gut. If I see someone in need of help I jump in and use everything I've got. You know that story about the woman who lifted a car off her kid? Regular people can get strength from adrenaline. The difference is I don't need adrenaline. Without fear, nothing stops me from using all the power I've got. And my body has a lot of concentrated power.

There is a downside however. After I fight my body gets really weak and I almost pass out. It only lasts a couple of minutes. I eventually return to normal.

One other thing works on my favour. I can do anything I want because I have nothing to lose.

My mother...isn't here anymore. My dad's gone. I have no brothers or sisters. I don't even have grandparents except maybe one somewhere in the corner of Korea or Russia... my parents both have ancestery there. Anyway, everything boils down to three words; I don't care. I could leave tomorrow and take nothing with me that I gave a about.

I don't care.

And nobody can make me.

Tiffany says I'm looking for trouble and for once she's right.

I am looking for trouble.

Don't go into the park after sunset. Baekhyun thought of the warning as hhe crossed the street to the entrance of Washington Square Park. He almost scoffed at the words.

He felt something in his gut as he walked through the entrance. Not fear of course, never fear. It was excitement - the thing that replaced fear for him. He walked quickly across the grass staying away from the lit pathways that crawled through the park.

He reached the park's midway point, signalled by the mini Arc

Please log in to read the full chapter