Hey, there! Let's be Friends

Lil' Meow Meow

 

Ever since Hoseok shed light on the possibility of getting another cat, Jimin haven't stopped talking about it. Hoseok's days were bombarded with Jimin's questions of when they're going to visit the animal shelter and enthusiastic blathers of the things they could do together. Between the planned trips, toys that Jimin would shared and TV shows they could watched together, Jimin didn't forget to include Hoseok saying, "And Hobi hyung get to receive more love beside from me!"

 

Jimin's rambling could be overwhelming especially after a long day of work but things like that was what Hoseok lives for. His lovely cat wouldn't forget about him and always include him in every single thing he did.

 

Thus, the long awaited day arrived. Every part of Jimin was bubbling with excitement to the point he woke up at an hour that's considered way too early for Saturdays. Hoseok's sleep was disturbed by Jimin hopping on his stomach and yelling for him to wake up. If that wasn't enough, Jimin's stubby fingers were tapping on his chest and his fluffy brushed tail was poking on Hoseok's cheek. "Hyung! Hoseok hyung, we have to shower and get dressed quickly. What if the other people come first and adopt the cats? There won't be any left for us!" Jimin reasoned which sounded ridiculous even to his cat ears but that's not important. What's important was for them to get to the animal shelter as soon as possible to get Jimin a new friend.

 

Hoseok reluctantly parted from his inviting bed and was assaulted with sloppy but sweet kisses all over his face. He smiled into it and stopped Jimin by securing a hand on his waist. "Let's get ready." And with that, the two went off to shower and presentable for their soon-to-be companion.

 

Their local animal shelter was an hour ago from their abode. It had a minimalistic outlook with glasses taking over half of the animal shelter's front, showcasing the wandering and playing hybrids of many kind. There was a big yard in front of the shelter which was probably used for running around by the hybrids.

 

Hoseok carefully parked his car near the animal shelter and thank God for letting them get safely there. Jimin exuberantly bounced in his seat and tugged on Hoseok's arm while he was driving, asking him to go faster or whether or not they are soon to arrive.

 

As soon as Hoseok unlocked the car, Jimin skipped out of the car to the animal shelter. "Yah! Jimin-ah!" Hoseok yelled as he watched Jimin carelessly jumped to the road, nearly giving him a heart attack. Thankfully, there was no vehicles passing by. If there was any and had injured his Jiminie, he would be so devastated. That was if he had only been injured, what if it had caused something much more serious? Hoseok couldn't even think of it.

 

As perturbing scenarios plays in his mind, Hoseok hurried to catch up with Jimin. "Jimin." He started sternly and the said male knew he had done something wrong. Hoseok was very lenient, and Jimin got away with many bratty things as he adored him too much. So, when times like this came, Jimin knew he had been bad and upset Hoseok.

 

The cat hybrid freezes in his spot and had an 'uh-oh' face like a child getting caught for stealing some candies. Hoseok was squealing inside at how Jimin managed to look adorable in such situation but the severity of his mindless action could resulted in had him serious again. "What did I say about running on the road or streets?" Hoseok scolded him. Jimin tend to get too excited about things and careless act which could cause some severe damages.

 

"...you told me not to do so, you told me to look left and right before crossing..." Jimin said in a small voice, head hanging down in shame, not wanting to see Hoseok looking disappointedly at him for not listening to his words when in fact Hoseok wasn't. Instead, he had a worried look on plastered on his face and upon seeing the defeated male, Hoseok take him into his arms and hugged him close to his chest. "Don't do that again, okay?" He felt Jimin nodded his head and the two entered the animal shelter.

 

"Welcome to Fluffy Furry! How can we help you?" The two woman standing behind the registration desk bubblingly greeted. As an immediate repsonse to the ebullient greetings, Hoseok returned a smile of his own. "We are thinking of adopting a friend for this little one." He signed at Jimin who flashes a bright smile at the two woman, whom in turn coo.

 

"We have a lot of different breeds that you can choose from. We do have a list of hybrids that we are currently housing or would you like to directly see them in the play area?"

 

"Are we allowed to enter the area?" Jimin asked slightly bouncing in his spot.

 

"Well, it's quite early so some of them are yet to wake up but you can look around." The woman with a tag that spells out 'Choa' said and gesturing him to the big space enclosed with glass wall.

 

The area was spacious to house hybrids, cats and dogs loitering around, being playful to one another. It was brightly illuminated with pastel coloured carpets concealing the floor to withstand their playful antics and prevent serious damage to the creatures. Toys were laying around and matching soft-coloured bean bags or cushions were scattered around the area. Beside that, some books and cat and dog towers were also seen occupying the room.

 

"You can go inside and play with them. I'm sure this cute little one would love to do so." The petite female, Mina, said with lovely smile.

 

Upon receiving his permission, Jimin sprinted to the glass door and entered the area after hastily taking his shoes off. Some of the hybrids took notice of the unfamiliar stranger but Jimin was quick to steal their hearts and they mingled easily as if Jimin has been a part of their family since the beginning.

 

Half an hour passed by with Jimin enjoying his time playing and Hoseok transfixed with fondness on him. As per usual, Jimin's cresent moon laugh permits him to see a fuzzy images of black, glossy hair and contrasting pearly white skin. The image reminded him of a cartoon he watched, Snow White.

 

His laughter comes to a stop and he looked around to get a sight of the beautiful pure black hair that was rare among their species. Jimin too has a fur that was considered rare, that being champagne or cream in colour. He took pride in it and care for it a lot.

 

As he scanned the enclosed area, Jimin lays his eyes on the black haired beauty sitting alone in a secluded corner, camouflaging between the comfortable bean bags, separated from the rest. Filled with curiousity to the brim, Jimin approached the said cat hybrid.

 

"Hi, I'm Jimin!" His enthusiastic greetings were only returned with a side glance, and that's all. Jimin awkwardly crouched down in front of the curled up figure who coldly ignored him before one of his new friends, Taemin whispered, "Jiminie, Yoongi doesn't like to talk. You can talk with us though." It was foolish of Taemin to do so as he seems to forgot the fact that they are all cat hybrid, with two cat ears intact. In other words, Yoongi definitely heard it.

 

"You are Yoongi?" Jimin asked, not fazed with the lack of response from Yoongi. Yoongi didn't spare him a look but as Jimin continue to press on, he send a fiery glare to him. The words accompanied with the glare directed to Jimin got him taken aback. " off." Yoongi spat harshly.

 

"Yoongi, how could you say that?" Taemin yelled giving Yoongi a glare of his own.

 

Hoseok who has been keeping an eye on Jimin saw their interaction and cautiously stood up after seeing the glare from Yoongi. When Choa rushed passed by him to the trio, he instantly knew something is wrong. "What happened?" He asked. At the familiar voice, Jimin looked behind and saw the concern look on Hoseok's face. Choa laughed awkwardly and informed him in hushed voice, "The black cat, Yoongi is really shy and hate it when people talk to him. He can be a bit hostile towards strangers."

 

"Noona, Yoongi cursed at Jimin." Taemin relayed what happened a few moments ago, surely it got Yoongi in some kind of trouble. Upon finding this out, Choa scolded him. "Yoongi! Didn't I tell you to respect guests?" At this, Yoongi looked casted his eyes on the floor hung his head low to prevent showing the growing pout. Yoongi knew he's rude to others and many disliked him for that but he cared a lot for the two female tending the reception. They were the one who rescued him from the streets and he would always be grateful for what they've done.

 

Jimin who has been crouching down the whole time was in Yoongi's level and noticed the forming pout. "Oh, you look cute pouting." Jimin softly commented and smiled at him. Others would have been flustered or found the smile cute but it only irked Yoongi more. To him, it was as if Jimin was mocking him.

 

In retaliation, Yoongi harshly implanted three nasty strikes across Jimin's right arm with his infamous acerbic claws. Jimin hissed at the pain and Hoseok rushed to his aid. "Min Yoongi!" That's when he knew he ed up.

 

"I'll lead you to the infirmary. Come with me, please." Choa said and hurriedly walk away before giving a warning glance at Yoongi.

 

Jimin was still in a shocked state when Choa started his treatment and snapped out of it when she started putting alcohol to sanitize the area. Choa spared him an apologetical gaze before resuming his treatment as quick as possible so as to not prolong his sufferings. By the end of his treatment, Jimin eyes were glistening with unshed tears. Hoseok had been standing by his side throughout the whole process, reaching out his hands for Jimin to squeeze. He was proud of Jimin for enduring the pain and not crying, he wanted nothing but to plant kisses all over his face and coddle him.

 

"I'm really sorry for this incident. I promise Yoongi doesn't mean to harm anyoneㅡ he's just... a bit defensive. I know that doesn't justify his action but I hope you won't be so harsh on him." Choa apologizes. She hesitantly added, "It's just he's been through a lot so he's defensive around strangers."

 

"I'll go see the situation outside, call me if you need anything. Once again, I'm sorry." The petite receptionist retracts and they were left alone on the room.

 

"You okay?" Hoseok softly asked. Jimin didn't mutter a word and instead snuggle into the taller's chest, purring softly as Hoseok pet his head. "It didn't hurt much, I was just shocked for a moment." Jimin ensured him.

 

A serene ambience encapsulates the infirmary, just the two holding each other close and listening to one another's even breathing. Saying that they were surprised when someone interrupted their bonding session, especially that someone being Yoongi, was an understatement.

 

Away from the tranquility of the infirmary, Yoongi froze in his spot and guiltily looked up to a terrifying sight of Mina. Unfortunately for Yoongi, it wasn't the usual puffed-cheeks kind of angry but eerily calm, hair-raising one. The wonted doll round eyes filled with warm and affection was now replaced with a stern and piercing gaze directed towards the black-haired hybrid. Uh oh.

 

The fiery glare plastered before changed into one of a red-handedly caught expression. Upon making eye contact with Mina, Yoongi immediately lowered his head. It was a rather interesting scene to watchㅡ Yoongi standing taller and bigger than Mina, with others who even have a larger build than him, cowering along under her intense stare and intimidating aura oozing from her.

 

"Did you realized what you have done, Yoongi?"

 

Yoongi's ear and tail tenses. He raised his head up and everyone, including Mina herself would have cooed over the rare adorable sceneㅡ the cute side of Yoongi making an appearanceㅡ if not for the tense atmosphere clouding the whole space. After all, Yoongi was still a cat. A cute one at that, no matter how bad he acts up.

 

Mina began her lecture. She wasn't shouting or demeaning him but Yoongi found himself on the verge of tears because he had let down Mina and did a horrible thing to Jimin, the kind and sweet cat who cheerily approached him without any malevolent intention.

 

"You know what you did wrong to Jimin, right? So, now, I want you to go to the infirmary and sincerely apologize to him." Mina commanded with a firm voice. The said dainty woman looked directly to Yoongi's downcasted eyes and elicit a compliant nod from him. With that, he obediently make his way to the infirmary. Everyone's head followed his movement and stand shocked that the notoriously known Yoongi, who takes order from no one.

 

He softly knocked on the wooden door and entered cautiously not daring to lift up his head. Yoongi unconsciously fiddle with the end of his oversized sweater sleeves as he stood in front of the bundle of Hoseok and Jimin cuddling.

 

The moment Hoseok caught a sight of the intruder, he stood protectively in front of Jimin. It made Jimin feel safe and protectedㅡ he only stick his head out from Hoseok's side to know what's going on and wasn't delighted to see Yoongi standing in the same room as him. He was scared of the latter for what he have done earlier but the stance he has at that moment refrained Jimin from retracting back to hide behind Hoseok.

 

"What do you want?" Hoseok asked in such hostile tone that Jimin find himself timorous of him for a second before remembering the promise he had made to himㅡ that he would never hurt Jimin.

 

To their surprise, Yoongi flinched at viciousness dripping from Hoseok's tone. Hoseok felt sorry and even pity the latter but only for a split second. Jimin who witnessed this and recognizing the body language of his own kind, immediately softened and was ready to forgive everything he has done.

 

"I-I, Y-yoongi came here to apologize..." Yoongi shakily said. He was beyond nervous to the point he had started to unconsciously tremble all over.

 

Yoongi had never acted out so badly to such extent that he needed to personally apologize to visitors. Usually, they automatically backed away or paid no heed to his presence as he is always curled up, tuning in himself to his surroundings so no one notice him. This time it was different.

 

He had greatly disappointed Mina and Choa. His mind has gone haywire the moment Mina started her lecture. Even though he wasn't always on his best behaviour, it never got to the point they have to reprimand him for his actions. He should have know his place and not cause any trouble for them, who had shown him kindness when he thought that the world is only full of anguish and torments; when he had been alone in the clutches of the darkness.

 

Unaware of the consequences of his thoughts, he began taking sharp breaths and panicking. His whole body was shaking badly and tears was quick to blur his visions caused by the realization that he could hardly breathe. Upon seeing this, Hoseok forgot all of his previous resentment and approached the hybrid with much cautionㅡ afraid that a small mistake of his can cause the frail boy to crumble.

 

"...Yoongi?" This time without any venom lacing his voice. Even so, Yoongi was far too gone and took no noticed of him. It was only when Hoseok reached out for his trembling hands that he reacted. The warm but firm grip had him recoiling instantly nonetheless as it reminded of his not so-nice time.

 

Jimin who had been watching the whole scene play out in front of him decided to take charge and carefully crouched in front of Yoongi whose legs had given up on him. "Yoongi?" He called out softly.

 

"Yoongi, I'm fine. Look, I'm okay! I forgive you too. Jimin and Hoseok are not mad at you so don't worry." Jimin cheerily said. He patiently waited and reassured Yoongi repeatedly. Slowly, Yoongi registired his words and listened to Jimin's intructions to regulate his breathing. His breathing slowly come to it's normal interval and Yoongi found himself clasping Jimin's hand as if it's his lifeline. Hoseok has also joined in on the party to calm Yoongi down and had placed a comforting hand that ran softly up and down on his back.

 

Jimin's stubby finger grazed over his cheeks to wipe away his tears and Hoseok offered him a smile. Only then that he fully registered the warm hand on his back and the soft hand gripping his firmly.

 

"Are you feeling better now?" Hoseok asked. It definitely is better as he's not gaping for breath like a fish out of the water.

 

Now that no one is in danger of dying from infection or lack of oxygen, an awkward silence settled between the three of them before Yoongi speak up with a meek voice but full of sincerity. "I'm sorry for hurting you, Jimin..."

 

"It's okay. I forgive you already." Jimin smiled while Hoseok had a bit of hesitance in him. He let out a whimper at the lack of response from Hoseok and looked up to him with a dejected and regretful look resembling a kicked puppy. No matter what how mad Hoseok is at the hybrid before, he had always have a soft spot for hybrids and was quick to pat Yoongi's head. "Fine, I'm not mad at you anymore. Just promise to not do things like that again, especially to Jimin. I don't care how you treat others bㅡ"

 

What Hoseok said surprised him a lotㅡ that he forgive him and moreover the fact of how protective he is over Jimin. He never knew that an owner could be

 

"Hyung! You're teaching Yoongi the wrong thing. We should be nice to everyone." Jimin exclaimed and that was the peak of Yoongi's confusion and curiousity. He was questioning if Jimin truly is a hybrid and the pet of Hoseok. If so, why is he interrupting what his owner os saying? How come he is raising his voice at Hoseok? Why do Hoseok seems so caring and protective of the shorter? Why are they so different from what he know?

 

He was observant of his surroundings and had been watching over the two the moment he woke up and sat at his usual corner. Their interactions confused him to no end.

 

"Now, with all that done. Can we play together?" Jimin asked with twinkling eyes, full of hopes. The same one he has been directing towards him from before and now that he clearly see that, there's no way he could possibly reject Jimin's offer.

 

As soon as Yoongi give a nod of approval, Jimin took a grab of his wrist and dashed out of the infirmary leaving Hoseok as the lone occupant of the room.

 

The profuse amount of friends Jimin made was quick to get in the way of his and Yoongi's. "Why are you holding his hands? You should stay away from him, or not he will hurt you again!" They said. Jimin remained adamant on befriending Yoongi and proceed to spend the rest of his visit at the animal shelter with him.

 

Although Hoseok said he forgive him for hurting Jimin, he stayed a few distance away from the duo, watching over their interactions. It wasn't such a bad time doing so as he discovered another side of Yoongiㅡ being cute indeliberately, one that had been the cause of his inside squirming a few times.

 

Sadly every good thing must come to an end. So does the short moment wherein Yoongi really get to let loose and be carefree playing around with someone after such a long time(no one approached him as he always concealed himself in a corner and gave everyone the stay-away-from-me look).

 

"Jimin, it's getting late. We need to go back now." Hoseok informed. However, regret was quick to come as he saw the dispirited look on Yoongi from his side-view.

 

"Do we really have to?" Jimin asked with equal amount of dejectedness. "Can't we stay a little longer?" By now, Jimin was already flashing his puppy eyes and downturned lips. Hoseok was tempted, really tempted to yield to the hybrid's request but then he remembered the contemporary class Jimin was supposed to teach the next day. "Jimin your classes start tomorrow." He reminded.

 

"Alright. Give me a minute to say goodbye to everyone and we'll go." The tone was enough for Hoseok to know how sad he was even without seeing the limp ears and tail dragging behind. Considering the amount of friends Jimin made, it took some time for him to bid them all goodbye; surprisingly, Yoongi took the longest.

 

"We'll visit again soon. 'Til then, stay well and don't hurt others, okay?" Yoongi incredulously stared at the two's back as they make exit the animal shelter, wondering about the gloomy feeling washing over him.