Chapter 2: Party on the beach

California love

 

As Lydia and David arrived at Sunghoon's holiday villa, LMFAO's Party Rock Anthem started to play. They played it as loud as the car's audio let them.

"Heeeyyoo we still have neighbors, you know!" Sunghoon's voice could be barely heard through their singing and noise.

"Come on, it's just one song. I'm so in the mood for a party." Lydia smiled widely as soon as she hopped out of the car to hug her favorite uncle. "You're always having loud pool parties and nobody is bothered."

He hugged her tightly. "Haha I know, princess! I'm just messing with you." he broke the hug to go shake hands with David. "Actually I'm glad you have this mood as we're going to party on the beach tonight."

"Sunghoon oppa, you know I don't attend such gatherings." she smiled sheepishly. "Okay, maybe one or two...."

Everybody laughed at Lydia’s statement. “I see you are excited about this, but maybe I should cancel it. You look too tired from flying so many hours to get here.” Sunghoon’s face turned serious as he put a hand on her back, rubbing it soothingly.

“Aish, I slept all the time. When I wasn’t sleeping, I read one of my favorite books. In addition, David talked and talked and talked, he never stopped until he heard me snore.” David’s face dropped at the remark.

“Wait a minute, are you saying I’m talking too much?”

“That’s exactly what I’m saying.” She grinned proudly.

“Alright then, I won’t talk to you until we’re back from California.” He crossed his arms and pouted.

“Are you really doing that? Are you throwing a tantrum at me?” He didn’t say anything, he just turned his face away and greeted everybody else.

He’s just acting out. I know he’s never mad at me. She thought, nodding to herself.

“First things first, where is my surprise???” Lydia stood in front of Sunghoon, waiting and behaving like a kid wanting his Christmas gifts earlier.

“Your surprise is on the way. He hasn’t arrived yet.”

Everybody started to laugh when she asked if his name started with letter ‘D’ and when she received no response, she started to tear up. “YOU know SO.WELL. that I’m not good when I know there’s a surprise for me. Pleaaaaaase, pretty pleaaase tell me. I deserve to know!”

“Ignore her, Sunghoon, she’s PMS-ing.”

“No-uh, I’m not, you B$#%h!”

Sunghoon joined David’s teasing, “She’s getting aggressive now.” He said, pointing at her.

“I see I can’t speak with anybody here, so I’m going to my room.” She left puffing and pouting. This is not fair! Was he really Donghae? I mean, David saw him too. Two persons can’t be crazy at the same time. Well, in our case, they can. But still…she thought while unpacking her stuff.

 

The next morning was really funny. Lydia woke up with her face drawn as she is a heavy sleeper and David could draw on her face without any interruptions.

“You are the worst, I swear!” she yelled while entering David’s room, which was right across the hallway. “I knew you would do something like this, but in the first night?! You knew I would sleep heavily because I was tired from staying so many hours in the plane and from the party last night.”

“Sorry, I’m not talking. I talk too much anyway.” He couldn’t contain his laughter.

“Do you have a death wish or something?! Grrrrr…” she wanted to punch him, but she didn’t want to give him full satisfaction, so she growled instead.

“What’s going on?” Sunghoon asked David, while taking a sit next to him to have breakfast together.

“Somebody woke up and saw her real face.” He chuckled.

“You’re such kids.” He nodded in disapproval.

“It’s better to kid while you still can. For me, till I’m 40 or something. That’s my plan.”

“Are you sure? I thought your plan was to marry Lydia.”

David choke on his food. “What? H-…”

“How did I know? Hah. You’re obviously in love with her. You just can’t live without her and it’s showing.”

David looked down at his plate. His food wasn’t delicious anymore and thoughts started to hunt him again. It was a taboo subject for him. He knew Lydia saw him only as a friend or brother and he tried to burry those feelings long time ago. But no result as she was just perfect. Besides having a body that fit anything she wore, she was kind, sweet, adorable, crazy, but the wisest person he knew. It was easy to see why he loved her.

Seeing how deep in thought David was, Sunghoon quickly ate his breakfast and left. Only when Lydia’s voice was heard he snapped out of his thoughts.

“Why, why, why, why would you do this to me? My face is super red and it hurts from rubbing it so much.” She pouted, pointing at her face.

“I’m sorry.” He used a gloomy voice, which made Lydia feel weird.

“Wait, are you ok-….” She reached to put her hand on his shoulder, but he left without even looking back, completely ignoring her.

She never saw her best friend behaving that way. What was troubling him so much he left like that? She couldn’t let him alone, especially in that state. They were in vacation! She used her skills to follow David without him realizing he was followed. He went upstairs to a place only they knew. And Sunghoon, of course. I’m like a freaking spy! This is stupid. She thought while turning on her heels to look for Sunghoon.

She reached his studio room, hearing a nice beat. “Oppa! Do you have a minute?”

He turned around and smiled at her. “I always make time for you, princess.”

“Haha I know.” She winked. “I kinda have an emergency. I don’t know what’s wrong with David. When I went to eat breakfast I was complaining about the fact that I had to scrub his drawings off my face. He told me ‘I’m sorry’ and left just like that. I followed him up to our quiet place. He had such long face. Did I do something wrong to sadden him that much? I know he only joked with me. It’s silly to think this is why he’s acting like this.” She seemed to be truly troubled about that.

Sunghoon sighed deeply. “I’m not sure what to tell you. I had a conversation with him this morning which for sure burdened him with thoughts and worry.”

She simply nodded. “I understand. I won’t push it if it’s life related stuff. It’s up to him to figure it out. I’ll be here if he needs me.”

“Lydia…” he had words he kind of had just a little bit of trouble saying. “It’s not my place to tell you. But I love you and I love him and I care about you.” She kept her gaze on Sunghoon as he tried so hard to put it nicely into words. “David…he still has feelings for you that are buried so deep. He digs for them and never reaches them. When he finally reaches them, he pushes them away because he knows you don’t love him the way he loves you.”

Lydia started to tear up. She was 100% sure that would happen from the moment they broke up years ago. “I kind of knew this was going on for much longer than I can remember.” She stared down at her fingers, playing with each other disorganized.

He put a hand on her shoulder to show her his support. “It’s not your fault. You can’t make yourself love somebody if you can’t. It wouldn’t be fair for you...or neither for him. This is a matter he has to solve himself.”

“You always know what to say, oppa. Thank you!...Oh, also, what was that beat I heard when I came?” she grinned, having knowledge about the subject.

“Shoo from here! You can’t listen to this yet. It’s for tonight’s party.” He chuckled and pushed Lydia outside the studio.

“So we’re playing this way now. Alright, alright! I’m going to have a surprise too.” She winked again and left, making Sunghoon chuckle harder. This kid. He thought to himself.

While roaming around the house, she heard a bass noise from another room. It was David's room. She opened the door slowly, watching as David was listening to a sad song, keeping his eyes closed (I think you heard of Sam Brown's 'Stop'. If not, you should listen to it <3 ).

“David?” she said a bit loud, making him open his eyes and smile bitterly. 

“Annie, are you ok?” she joked (Michael Jackson reference), receiving a small chuckle from him too. “Will you be able to help me with tonight’s performance or are you going to sulk around and be sad all vacay?”

“Lydia, please, it’s not a subject I want to joke around.” He turned his back to modify some beats to another song.

She frowned, already knowing what was all that about. She felt horrible.

“I’ll be fine till the party. Don’t worry about me.” He ruffled her hair in a caring way. He wouldn’t hurt her in any way. She was that precious to him.

“Come on, you are my Davy! Look, I know it’s hard, but I’m here for you. I’m always going to be here for you no matter what.”

He rubbed his eyes with one hand, taking a deep breath, then took her hands in his, looking at her with red eyes. “Trust me, I totally know. I’m just in one of the worst moods and I’ve put myself in it. I’m begging you, don’t worry about me, okay? Now go practice for tonight and I’ll see you on the beach.”

She sighed too, letting him know that it wasn’t really the response she expected, but she left anyway. Not before she hugged him slightly, trying not to push the whole thing.

I gotta win her back somehow. I should do a makeover and update myself. He nodded to himself, changing the beat to an energetic one. Something like the Rocky theme song. You know, when the main character trains and climbs those stairs. David had this winning-like state.

 

On the beach…

 

The sunset was the most wonderful view you could ask for. The wind was blowing just a bit, perfectly maintaining a nice temperature. The sand was still warm from the burning sun earlier. The salty smell and the small waves completed the scenery. You might call that romantic, but you might have to think twice. A scene was planted between Sunghoon’s house and the beach, making everybody stay on the soft sand. Ugh, I’m not in the mood for all this with David in this state. But duty calls and I have to respond! Lydia thought, while finishing her look. She chose to dress in Arabian style, covering most of her face, only her hazel eyes could be seen, nicely highlighting them with green and brown and an eyeliner wing which could cut anybody approaching her.

“Wow…” David’s jaw was practically hanging. He smirked while approaching unaware Lydia. “You look truly amazing.” He whispered in a low, manly voice, arranging her outfit and look deeply into her eyes. This side of him was completely new to her. She felt a rush of warmness, especially coming from David's body. It was a weird between them and she didn’t understand. Maybe she was really PMS-ing and her hormones were playing games with her heart and mind…

“Thanks.” She breathed, turning around and getting close to exit. “Are you coming?” she asked, smiling at him.

He followed her to the main scene, where his DJ stuff were waiting patiently for his touch. Music was something he adored to do, but not officially, only for fun and relaxation. He helped Sunghoon compose a few songs, but he didn’t feel like that was what he wanted to do all life. As soon as ‘Rulete’ by Inna was heard, the whole beach was raving. The fun part is, nobody knew who was up on the scene, as Lydia wanted her identity to be hidden. Little did she know that somebody she was crazy about was watching her.

“Sunghoon hyung!” he shouted, taking him in a tight hug.

“Donghae! So glad you could make it today still.”

“Yeah, sorry, I had to buy some stuff and visit another hyung.”

“That’s alright, don’t worry. I prepared the room and my beautiful friend who she’s a huge fan of yours.” He wiggled his eyebrows, receiving a shy chuckle. A oriental song started to play, changing the whole atmosphere, making it hotter. A thin figure appeared on the scene with only her eyes at sight, with her delicate anatomy could be easily seen through the translucent material.

“Woah, who’s that?” Donghae’s mouth was hanging, pointing at the stage.

“I have no idea. This setup is only for amateurs to show their talents and have fun. If you’re really that interested, I can show you the list.” Sunghoon said, looking uneasy.

“No, that’s alright. I was just…mesmerized.” He blushed, embarrassed by his own question and affirmation. Sunghoon invited him in his house, chatting along. It was a long time ago they saw each other in Korea, but with all the Super Show and D&E fuss, they couldn’t hit it off.

The song was over shortly, the next dancer showing on the stage. David and Lydia went in back to the house to change. She didn’t want to be seen by anybody, so her best friend helped her get in the house safely.

“I forgot how seductive you can get.” He stated.

Lydia blushed so hard, you could see through the fabric she covered her face with. “What…I mean….”

“With words, lovely.” He used a soft voice which made Lydia melt. His hairstyle was a bit different, making his jaw line more obvious, defined. He wore a new cologne, also his clothes were ‘Danger’ by D&E style.

She didn’t understand the feelings she had then. It wasn’t because she learnt that David was still in love with her, but she saw him with other eyes. Was it possible she could fall in love with him? No, no, what if Donghae liked her? She started to laugh internally at the thought, knowing there was no way that might happen. He had to have a girlfriend. Such good looking guy. It was impossible.

“Hello. Earth to Lydia?” David snapped his fingers in front of her, pulling her out of her thoughts. “Are you alright?” he frowned. She nodded and hummed, but she was still deep in thoughts.

While the two went to their rooms to change for the rest of the party, Sunghoon showed Donghae his room, which was next to Lydia’s. It all happened in parallel, neither of them meeting.

“So this is one of the famous parties you throw, huh?” Hae went down the stairs to the kitchen, where he grabbed a bite of his croissant.

“Yeah. And you’re going to see a part of your D&E song tonight.”

“Can’t wait.”

“Also, we have real food in the fridge. Actually, I think Lydia baked in the afternoon some spring rolls.”

“Lydia? Your beautiful friend I guess?” he cocked an eyebrow.

“More like a niece. We go way back when I, well, tried to court her mother.” He laughed awkwardly.

“You dog.” Donghae punched his arm friendly, taking a spring roll and going back to the party.