Chapter 4

Ketchup Stains

Mina hated a lot of things of the 21st century.

 

First off, she hated how noisy it was– there wasn't a single place of solitude she could find in the city. And with their neighbor blasting some sort of weird music on the floor above them, Mina couldn't exactly find peace at their house either. She had told Tzuyu about this, voicing out how annoyed she was with the constant loud music. Tzuyu had only given her an apologetic smile, saying she didn't want to upset their neighbor for such a small thing.

 

Mina nearly lost it that day.

 

It was NOT a small thing when Mina could feel the veins inside her head throbbing painfully, begging for some peace and quiet.

 

So she marched up to their neighbor's door, with Tzuyu clinging onto her– desperately trying to pull her back to avoid any argument. The vampire was unaffected by the weak human's attempts, the frown not leaving her face as she knocked on the door.

 

When there was no answer, Mina knocked harder, gritting her teeth in pure anger. Tzuyu knew better than to tell her to ring the bell instead.

 

Finally, a guy even taller than Tzuyu opened the door, different shapes of tattoo visible on his neck and arm, wearing nothing but a plain white t-shirt and a pair of black boxers. Tzuyu gasped quietly and hid behind Mina's smaller frame as soon as the door opened. It was freaking winter for gods sake! Who dresses like that? 

 

A disgusting smell reached Mina's nose as the guy looked them up and down then leaned against the door frame. The inside of his apartment was barely visible through the smoke. "Whaddya want?"

 

"For you to stop that crap you call music." Mina crossed her arms, looking up at the tall guy right in the eyes.

 

The man's frown immediately deepened. Grabbing the white stick from between his lips, he spoke as smoke came out of his mouth. (Was he a magician?) "And who the are you?"

 

That did it.

 

The vampire took a few steps forward and the guy stumbled backwards into his apartment in sudden horror. Tzuyu couldn't understand what was going on as Mina shut the door behind her, leaving the tall girl clueless and scared outside their neighbor's house.

 

A few seconds later, the deafening music stopped and Mina came out right after with a blank face. They stared at each for a while in silence, before Tzuyu's fear took over and her eyes widened. "Please, oh god, please tell me you didn't kill him,"

 

Mina lifted up her eyebrows and shrugged. "I just scared him a little, don't worry about it." As Tzuyu was still losing her , Mina wandered down the stairs, being careful not to look down from the gap in the middle. She hated heights.

 

"Scared him how?!" Tzuyu ran to catch up.

 

The vampire sighed, annoyed by all the questions she was being asked. She looked back over her shoulder and met the mortal's eyes. "I said. Don't. worry about it."

 

When Mina's dark red eyes started glowing, Tzuyu only then realized the vampire wasn't wearing her lenses. Well, that explained the guy's sudden change of expression.

 

Mina used her red eyes like a weapon.

 

Tzuyu first noticed this when one day she said she wouldn't order pizza, because hell, they couldn't eat pizza EVERY damn day.

 

Mina had been really... insistent. They ended up ordering more than they ever had that day. The poor human surely regretted ever saying anything in the first place.

 

Once Myoui Mina wanted something, there was nothing that could stop her from getting it.

 

Although the things Mina hated were a lot, she was also thankful for some things she found in this era.

 

 

Example: bras.

 

Having worn corsets her entire life, Mina could finally feel herself breathing when she put on one of the bras Tzuyu bought for her. She was also surprised at how easy it was to wear compared to a corset. She felt so comfortable with it to the point where one day she didn't even bother wearing something else. Mina remembered Tzuyu's red face when the tall girl came home– she still couldn't understand what was there to be embarrassed about. Back in her era, girls helped each other put on corsets, not leaving much to hide. Mina never had much help though, so it was a struggle every morning. There was only one person she had received help from but that was a very long time ago. 

 

Anyway, whoever invented bras was a freaking genius and they had Mina's full respect and gratitude.

 

 

Which also goes for the inventor of ketchup.

 

It was without a doubt the most delicious human food ever. (She blatantly ignored Tzuyu when the mortal said ketchup wasn't considered food and was just sauce.

 

Just sauce? Please.)

 

The vampire wasn't really a believer of fate but grabbing that ketchup bottle in the grocery store in between of literally everything... What else could it be but fate?

 

 

Another thing she absolutely loved was the box thingy that Tzuyu called:  the TV.

 

She loved the magical world inside it, showing different sides of many people. It was currently her favorite time-killer. She'd lie down in front of the couch and grab a bottle of blood (or ketchup) before pushing random buttons on the smaller box thingy, making interesting things show up on the 'TV'.

 

 

It was one of those days today as she sat in front of the small screen(Tzuyu said big ones were quite expensive), remote controller in hand. Her hair was a mess and Mina didn't feel like fixing it. She looked down at her outfit; grey pajama pants and a red hoodie that had a cute bear printed on it with the words: 'Don't judge, just love!' written on it. She was too relaxed to move a muscle and it made her think:

 

It had only been about three weeks since she had woken up from her supposed-to-be-eternal sleep, and it surprised the vampire greatly that she got this comfortable this fast with a total stranger, and a human at that.

 

But then again, Tzuyu wasn't exactly intimidating or annoying. Quite the opposite, she was really...nice to be around. Most of the time anyway.

 

And for today, Tzuyu didn't have classes so she stayed home. Mina didn't know whether she liked this or not. Normally, she wouldn't mind the company but Tzuyu had been cleaning around ALL day. Mina was this close to throwing the vacuum cleaner out the window just when Tzuyu turned it off and put it away, plopping down on the couch next to her with a tired sigh.

 

"Our neighbor upstairs moved out this morning."

 

The vampire didn't part her eyes from the big screen, her face void of any emotion much like her voice. "Oh nooo."

 

"I feel so bad..."

 

Hearing the small voice, Mina glanced at the pitiful look on the human's face, bringing her cup of blood closer to her lips and taking a sip before replying, "Didn't you say he cursed you out the door when you brought him some of the cake you made?"

 

Tzuyu stared up at the ceiling, pouting slightly. "Maybe he was having a bad day or... or maybe he had sad memories with it..."

 

"...with cake?"

 

Tzuyu slowly slid down the couch. "It's possible.."

 

Mina let out a deep annoyed sigh and turned her attention back on the TV, not bothering anymore to deal with the human's stupid reasoning.

 

Recovering rather quickly from her sulking state after checking her watch, Tzuyu scooted closer to the vampire and poked her cheek. "Can I change the channel?"

 

Surprised at first, Mina stared at the tall girl from the corner of her eye. She took another sip from her cup and the blood off her red lips before glaring at the human.

 

"Please?" When Tzuyu got even closer, her strong alluring scent invaded Mina's nostrils, making her freeze in shock for a moment. She was in the middle of feeding and her senses were heightened to the extreme, and Tzuyu smelled a lot more delicious than the cup of blood in her hands. Way more delicious. And oh god, Mina felt so thirsty all of a sudden. It was very tempting to just turn her head and lean down to grab a bite from the girl's neck but she restrained herself like she had done many times before. The mortal girl's divine blood was still a big mystery to her. Sure, there had been a few humans in her past smelling– tasting delicious but Tzuyu was different. Mina didn't want to admit but sometimes, she didn't even want to feed on the mortal, she wanted to just nestle in close and breathe her scent in, feel her warmth on her cool skin–

 

 

Well, a thousand years may have past but Myoui Mina was still very much gay.

 

 

Pushing the remote towards Tzuyu, she distanced herself from the girl, immediately drinking down her cup of blood in one go.

 

Mina felt her fangs tingle before they went back to their normal size. She put the cup down and glanced at the clueless human who looked way too excited as she changed the channel.

 

Rolling her eyes, Mina crossed her legs as the deers on the TV screen peacefully drank water from a stream. There wasn't particularly anything interesting about a bunch of deers drinking water. Mina had seen it all before– she had even fed on them. The vampire grimaced as she remembered the bitter taste of the deers' blood. That was one of the many mistakes she made back when she first turned.

 

And then suddenly, the screen went white. Mina was slightly curious by the abrupt color change but was still uninterested– keeping her eyes barely open. Soon after she gave up on trying to watch it, taking a nap seemed like a better option. Just as she was closing her eyes shut, a cute sound made her jump. Clicking her tongue, she peeked at the TV screen with a grumpy face and saw the cutest thing she had ever seen in her entire immortal life.

 

Cute little things walked side by side, looking ridiculously cute as they swayed from left to right without any balance, their black and white bodies glowing even with no sun in sight. One of the cute creatures suddenly lied down on what Mina guessed to be ice, and seconds later glided down and into the water with a loud splash. The vampire blocked out whatever the guy in the TV was saying, giving her full attention to the beautiful plump creatures.

 

"I've heard tales of this place," she muttered and Tzuyu managed to catch it just in time. "No color present but white and icy blue, coldest place on earth..."

 

"Aren't they adorable though?" Tzuyu squealed, clutching the remote to her chest with a big grin.

 

The vampire watched as one of the creatures gracefully leaned down to feed the smaller one. "What are they..?"

 

"Penguins."

 

"Where is that place?"

 

"The bottom of the Earth," Tzuyu smiled at Mina's curiosity. It was during times like these where Tzuyu felt proud to be teaching the vampire. Mina was brave and smart. Tzuyu was sure that if she had been in Mina's shoes and woken up a thousand years later, she would have gone mad. Which was one of the reasons why Tzuyu wanted to be there with her at every discovery the immortal girl made, eager to see her red eyes shine beautifully with astonishment. Tzuyu wanted to show and teach her many things but she just wasn't sure if Mina was up for it. She didn't want to be a bother either so she stayed silent until moments like these came.

 

Sitting up straight, Mina turned to the human, her eyes sparkling with hope, "Can...can we go there?"

 

Tzuyu felt her heart clench– how was she supposed to reply to that innocent question? She decided that her words weren't going to be much help so instead, she shook her head slightly. The vampire's face completely fell and Tzuyu could swear she saw a pout forming on her lips. And then suddenly Mina masked her disappointment impressively well, turning her attention back on the penguins like her pure hopes weren't crushed just a second ago.

 

A bright idea lightened up Tzuyu's face and a big smile made her single dimple appear, eyes widening in excitement. "I could take you to the zoo?"

 

"The... zoo?"