Chapter 2

Ketchup Stains

It took Tzuyu quite a while to say goodbye to the rabbits but they eventually managed to leave much to Mina's relief. She didn't want to spend any more time than she had to in this cursed forest she had woken up in.

They walked in silence through the woods. Mina didn't mind it while Tzuyu found it a little unnerving as she didn't know what the vampire was thinking while following her quietly.

After a few minutes, a small red car entered their field of vision when Tzuyu pulled the branches apart, revealing the road to the city.

And then all of a sudden, Tzuyu found herself being pulled back by a tight grip on her arm that would surely leave bruises later.

"Wait," the vampire whispered, sending chills down her spine. "There's something over there."

Tzuyu followed the vampire's gaze and breathed a sigh of relief when she saw the reason Mina was alert. "That's my car." 

Mina let go of the tall girl. "Your...car? So it's your pet?" Her voice had a childish awe around it. "How did you even tame such a huge thing?"

Tzuyu tried to hide her smile by pressing her lips together but couldn't suppress it in the end as she spoke. "No, it's um..it's hard to explain. It's a machine that I ride to get to places."

Mina's red eyes narrowed in confusion.

Tzuyu decided to try again, finding the vampire's expressions far too amusing than she should. "It's like a horse but it doesn't get tired 'cause well...it's not alive." 

Mina's gaze wandered back to the car, curious. She walked towards it and Tzuyu followed quietly, watching the vampire with interest.

Before Tzuyu could open the door for Mina to get in, the vampire started climbing on top the car. Tzuyu put a hand on her shoulder with a small laugh, making Mina stop. "That's not how–" She opened the door while still chuckling which irritated Mina greatly. This era was stupid.

Mina leaned down to look inside, surprised by the all grey interior and objects she had never seen before. Suddenly the other door opened and she flinched slightly at the unexpected movement. When she saw Tzuyu smiling at her while getting inside, she followed right after, finding her seat more comfortable than she expected.

She watched from the corner of her eye as Tzuyu pulled something from next to her and over her waist like some sort of belt. Mina found it odd but decided to do the same. Turning her eyes to her left, she looked around for the belt like thing. Without any warning, an attractive smell she couldn't quite identify reached her nose, and she inhaled sharply. Tzuyu was leaning over her. Mina didn't know why but she didn't care either. This scent was almost as strong as the smell of the mortal's divine blood and Mina was entranced by it.

Tzuyu felt Mina's glowing red eyes on her as she struggled to pull the seatbelt. She knew her car was old ,which is why it was so cheap when she bought it, but this was not the time for it to cause problems. She had a vampire breathing on her neck. Literally. 

It wasn't supposed to be like this. Tzuyu was supposed to smoothly lean and grab the seatbelt like how they do in movies. But here she was, tugging on the the damn thing with the vampire's confused eyes on her.

Stupid car. Stupid seatbelt, stupid, stupid, stupid

Just then the stubborn seatbelt gave in and Tzuyu sighed because finally. She sat back on her seat and put Mina's seatbelt on with a click. "I-It's for safety," her voice came out higher than she expected so she cleared .

Mina didn't say anything in return, watching as Tzuyu turned beet red under her stare. Smiling internally, the vampire looked ahead.

A roar scared the out of her.

"WHAT WAS THAT?!"

The mortal girl jumped in her seat 

Mina was clutching the armrest with one hand as she looked outside the car, trying to determine the whereabouts of the animal the roar had come from. Maybe it was a bear? Her hand tingled at the thought, getting ready to cast a few defensive spells.

Tzuyu panicked when the vampire's eyes turned a darker shade of red, literal sparks of electricity dancing in the palm of her open hand. "W-wait, wait!" Grabbing the vampire's arm, she desperately tried to explain, "It was just the car! That's how it works!"

A cold side glance from the vampire got Tzuyu shaking in her boots and she retracted her hand in lightning speed. Fortunately, the dangerous-looking sparks disappeared into thin air as Mina leaned back against her seat. She turned her head away and stayed silent, looking very calm despite the fact she was getting ready to fight a bear merely seconds ago.

As they drove towards the city, Mina was amazed by many things. About how fast the car was going, how smooth the roads were, how although it was night, there were tall sticks on the side of the road, lightening up their way. She was also a little amazed by the driver whose tan skin shone beautifully in the full moonlight. The mortal was so focused on driving that she didn't speak a word with Mina the whole ride. The vampire didn't mind it in the least, enjoying the view outside while listening to the sound of Tzuyu's loud heart.

She could easily tell the mortal was nervous without having the need to hear her fast hearbeats. Maybe Mina was partly to blame. She couldn't help it. No one would ever offer a vampire to live in the same house they do. Either this soft-hearted mortal girl was too stupid or too trusting. Mina couldn't decide so maybe she was both.

Entering the city was a whole new experience on its own. The protective walls around the city from her time were gone, the streets were alive even if it was midnight, tall big buildings hovered over them everywhere and Mina couldn't help but think, what if they fall? The new look of the city was a little hard for Mina to accept. There was so little green in between all the grey, which Mina felt saddened by. She leaned closer to the window when they stopped for whatever reason, trying to see every little change the city had gone through, watching as almost all the people ran in a hurry.

"Oh, uh, let me..." Tzuyu pressed the button to roll down the window, amazed at how the scary vampire had turned into a cute kid in Disneyland in such short time. She smiled. Maybe if they became close, Tzuyu could take her there sometime.

Mina felt the wind on her pale cheeks as she observed the new world before her.

Tzuyu waited for the light to turn green before she pressed the gas pedal once again.

***

"This is where you live?" Mina asked, looking up at the huge building. She could barely see the top of it. Maybe because it was dark? She couldn't really tell. "Are you royalty or something?"

Tzuyu laughed openly. "No. It's not all mine, I just own a little part of it." She pushed open the door and looked back at the vampire over her shoulder. "Come on," 

It took some time to convince Mina that the elevator was totally safe. Mina had her doubts about going into the small box but she got in anyway after some explanation.

"9th floor." The elevator's announcement caused Mina to flinch, but when she noticed that Tzuyu was not alerted by it, she decided against doing anything. Magic tricks in this era are endless. Better not to think too much about it.

Mina's short cloak trailed behind her as Tzuyu led her to a door at the end of the hall.

Without a word the mortal unlocked the door with her key. Mina tiptoed behind the tall girl to peek inside, curious.

"Sorry, I know it's kind of messy. It isn't usually though– just during finals." Tzuyu chuckled nervously, watching Mina as the girl looked around at every detail.

Mina didn't care what these 'finals' were but she hoped they didn't come around often. This place looked like a war zone.

"Is this you?" She asked, taking one of the few framed photos on the table. It was quite an adorable picture. A little girl she assumed to be Tzuyu was sitting near the ocean, her little brows furrowed in concentration, her chubby cheeks puffed as she stood in front of a sandcastle that was just as tall as her. The picture looked so real that Mina started to have doubts that it was painted.

"Yup." Tzuyu smiled, moving to stand next to the vampire.

 


To say it was easy for Mina to get used to the 21st century would be the biggest lie of Tzuyu's life. Not that she lied that much– well, she kind of couldn't, she wasn't very skilled at it as the results of her life choices would show–

Anyway. Yes. Mina. The stupidly gorgeous vampire. Last of her kind.

It had been barely a week since they started living together. Mina usually stayed in, she wasn't particularly a fan of the sun. It's not like it burned her or anything but it drained her energy to the point she would faint if under it too long. Mina weighed heavier than she looked is all Tzuyu can say.

Tzuyu had lent the vampire some of her clothes after they got weird looks from the people outside. While Mina couldn't understand why she had to change out of her comfortable leather vest and black tights along with her cloak, Tzuyu knew better. Mina looked like a freaking cosplayer.

 Tzuyu also kind of might have, maybe– spent the rest of her money to buy Mina brown lenses for her to hide her red eyes. It was hard to ask her mother for more allowance when she couldn't come up with a good excuse.

Her parents back in Taiwan had been ridiculously suspicious. It's not like they could help it, they were just worried for her. They knew Tzuyu was too trusting for her own good. It had caused a lot of problems in the past. But the Chous could rest easy because even if their daughter was in another country, she had caring friends who looked out for her.

Speaking of friends, none of them knew of the recent roommate Tzuyu suddenly got. She didn't know how they would react and she wasn't sure if she was ready to endure another three hours of lecture from Jihyo. She made that mistake once in her life and she was NOT going through it again.

Mina.

Tzuyu tapped her pen on the desk, thinking about what she could be doing at the moment. Maybe she was getting ready to go out to feed. It was around two in the afternoon, she must be feeling hungry.

A sigh escaped from her lips, and she barely heard the distinct sounds of someone talking. She didn't want to know how or what Mina was feeding on. She didn't like the idea of Mina's soft, delicate hands taking the life of another. Mina wasn't a murderer. Tzuyu could say that for sure because of the time they spent together the past week. A killer wouldn't cry while watching a Disney movie, okay? Tzuyu smiled when she remembered how Mina had pretended like she hadn't shed a tear when Tzuyu tried to for it later. It had ended with Mina conjuring a fireball in her hand and Tzuyu shutting faster than she could run. But Mina could act tough all she wanted, Tzuyu just knew there was a big softie underneath.

Anyway. Mina just needs blood to survive. Simple as that.

Tzuyu felt someone hitting her head. "–llooo, anybody in there?" Flinching slightly, the pen fell out of her grasp as she looked up at Chaeyoung. "I've been calling out to you for like ten minutes. I thought you died or something."

Tzuyu grabbed her bag and followed her friend out the room.

"I wouldn't blame you though. That was boring as hell." Chaeyoung playfully bumped into her side as they walked through the hall. "What's up? You okay?"

"Of course. W-Why wouldn't I be?"

Chaeyoung shrugged. "I dunno, you've been acting kind of weird the past week."

Tzuyu felt go dry. "I am not."

The shorter of the two snorted, "Yeah, right. You're totally acting the exact way Momo unnie did back when she had a huge crush on Chungha unnie...–" She suddenly gasped, turning to Tzuyu with a grin, "You have a crush!"

"Wha...no, I don't!"

Chaeyoung pouted. "Fine. Then what's the problem?"

"Nothing!"

Under her friend's suspicious gaze, Tzuyu started to panic. Chaeyoung didn't seem like she was going to drop it anytime soon. She held her breath as her best friend opened again, her eyes narrowed.

"Can I come over tonight? We'll watch movies and stuff. Finals just ended after all."

OH NO.

"I-I don't know.. My place is a mess–"

"Cool. I'll come by around seven."

As Chaeyoung left her in the middle of the hall, Tzuyu stood frozen. Crap.


***

"So let me summarize everything you just told me." Mina's eyebrows furrowed as she spoke, "Your friend is coming over in three hours."

"Yes."

"I'm Myoui Mina. I knew you since when we were little back in Tewain."

"Taiwan, but yes."

"I have problems with my family who are actually from Japan. I've come to live with you for the time being because you offered to help me. I'm a grateful human friend."

Tzuyu nodded. "Exactly. You think you can do it?"

The vampire scoffed, a smirk appearing on her face. "Please. I pretty much know everything about the 21st era now."

"Good. Good. That's good." Tzuyu was sweating. "You didn't leave any of your blood packs in the fridge, did you?"

"No." Mina calmly stared at Tzuyu's panicking face for a few seconds, wondering why she was so worried. It wasn't that hard to deceive humans. Mina could easily do it. She could even cast a spell if she wanted to and offered just to do that, but Tzuyu refused instantly, not wanting to harm her friend. 

Friend.

Mina wondered what the term friend meant in this era. Back in her time, she didn't have many friends. And the ones she had were constantly hunted down by mercenaries or assassins, not leaving her much alive ones. She tried being friends with mortals once, back when she was first turned, but she hated it. She hated it because as she stayed the same, the mortals changed tremendously through the years and they eventually died. Mina didn't like watching her friends die. No one does. So she stayed away from humans, mostly staying alone for hundreds of years. Those were some long boring years.

What kind of friends does Tzuyu have? Mina found herself asking, a ridiculous sense of excitement jumping up and down in her chest as she thought of meeting them. Were they like the girls in Pretty Little Liars? Mina hoped not. She didn't like those girls much. Why Tzuyu had made her watch a few episodes of it was still a mystery. 

She glanced at the sulking mortal girl, who taught her so much in just a week. Were they considered friends? Mina felt her chest tighten– she really wanted to know. 

Tzuyu felt Mina's emotionless gaze on her and sighed sadly. "I'm really sorry,"

"For what," Mina breathed out.

"For making you lie. For forcing you to hide the real you."

"You're not making me do anything. I've hid who I am my entire life," Mina touched her fangs with her tounge, feeling their sharp ends. "This isn't anything new. People just don't really like vampires." She scoffed. "They made that very clear when they set my home on fire." She was fine with lying. It's not like Mina wanted to yell out to everyone she saw that she was the last vampire on earth. The thought gave her shivers. Not everyone was going to invite her to their house for tea like Tzuyu.

Tzuyu slowly lifted her head up, her eyes swimming in the tears of guilt and sympathy. "I- I didn't—"

"It was very long ago. I'm over it." Mina waved her off, leaning back against the couch, watching as the younger girl rubbed her eyes on her arm quickly as if to hide her tears. What a crybaby.

"It's not fair." Tzuyu croaked out. Mina only stared. Were humans always this interesting? "I'm sorry," Sniffling, the human straightened up and her gaze met the vampire's, her apology as sincere as it could be. "I promise...she's a good person. If you want to tell her the truth—"

"I don't. If what you told me is true, that the vampires went extinct, I have to be extra careful about my identity now." The tragic history of the vampires was one of the things Mina first learned from Tzuyu. "Although I'm sure we aren't truly extinct, some are probably hiding themselves like I am."

"Yeah," was the only reply Mina heard from the other girl, and she immediately thought the conversation was over. Indeed the words were no longer exchanged between them, but Mina soon felt warmth on her cool skin, enveloping her body, giving her the feeling of something she was not used to. Then it was gone, before she could even hold onto it. Her dead heart almost jumped when Tzuyu gave her a slight smile after pulling away.

"I need to go out and buy some snacks," Tzuyu said, getting up.

The vampire stood. "I'll go with you."

The tall girl looked surprised but then she nodded, leaving the room to get her coat.

Mina followed after, trying to remember the last time she was given a hug as warm as Tzuyu's.