Quest #1

Life Simulator
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Today was similar to any ordinary day. The sky was still blue. The sun rays often blinding me from staring at the sun for too long. The classroom being noisy while waiting for our professor to arrive. 

But most importantly, my life was proceeding exactly the same way as the Life Simulator game that I have played just recently. 

I wouldn't say that I'm the best gamer out there, but I would at least consider myself as above average. I love games, especially ones with a challenge. 

The title Life Simulator doesn't exactly sound like a challenging game. In fact, many of the simulator games are usually the type of games where you just fool around with the system. However, everything changed the moment I read a particular email. 

I was in the middle of playing a music rhythm game, where I press a certain location of my phone's screen at a certain time that matched the beat of a difficult song that was playing. I wanted to beat my current high score, and I was almost at the end of the song, until that annoying email gave me a notification, making my screen lag. I shouldn't blame the email since I could have turned off my notifications before playing, but that didn't change the fact that I was seconds away from finishing the song. Seconds!

"This better not be a spam mail." I closed my music rhythm game, swiping my screen to the left to then tap the app that says email. Just as I predicted, it was spam mail, but the caption of the email caught my attention. 

Are you a gamer that wants a challenge?

"Well that's...very specific...haha.  How did they know?" I chuckled as I clicked on the email to read for further details. Before I read anything else, I found one particular thing odd about this email.

"From...? Wait, why is it blank? Who sent this email to me?" Although I was growing suspicious, I scrolled down to finally read the whole message.

 

To: Miyawaki Sakura

---------------------------

From:                              

You have been chosen to be the beta-tester of our new game: Life Simulator! Now unlike other simulator games, this one will be the most challenging and life-changing game that you have ever faced. In this game, you will be provided with variety types of quests, any of which you can accept or decline. You could have the option to decline all of the quests and complete the game in an instant, but that's honestly a boring route to choose. I would prefer that you complete all of the quests, and if you need a motivation to do so, I'll provide a reward for your completion. All you have to do is accept our terms of use...

 

The email displayed a whole section of their terms and use. I knew better than to not read it at all. I mean, do game developers not notice that no one really reads the terms of use? Well..probably that 1% out of 99% players do read them...but I personally won't waste my time reading it when I could be spending that whole time playing the game already. 

Scrolling down through a fairly large amount of tiny words, the email then displayed a specific link in blue.

Life Simulator

I clicked on it as the game then began to download on my phone.

 

11% ...

31% ...

64% ...

88% ...

99% ...

100% -

 

When the app showed up at my homescreen, I immediately clicked on it, now being greeted with a colorful 8-bit design homepage. Hoping to customize my character in a unique way, I clicked a start button that was in the middle of the screen, only to then see that my character was already created for me.

"Weird...it oddly matches a lot of my features..." I set that thought aside as I went through the tutorial. To explain it shortly, the tutorial emphasizes mostly about how every action and choice I made in the game has both a + (positive/plus) and a - (negative/minus) in my stats.

I haven't instantly received a quest yet, but so far I was given many choices. My character was shown in a sleeping state and I was given a question:

 

What are you going to do?

[Wake Up?]  Or  [Continue Sleeping?]

 

Of course I chose for my character to wake up. This wasn't much of a challenge as the sender hyped me up for. I have only made simple choices such as what clothes to wear, what breakfast I would eat, the method of how I will commute to my school, etc. I was about to exit the app and play another game, until a quest finally appeared in my screen.

 

Quest #1: Revenge on the Bully

Description: Despite doing nothing wrong, Lee Kaeun began to pick on you the moment you transferred into the class. Her narcistic attitude pissed you off, especially when she continues on to boast about her wealth. It was to the point that you got very annoyed of trying to find hiding spots just to avoid her every lunch break. When classes end, follow her to her home and find out a secret that will get her to stop bothering you.

[Accept?]  Or  [Decline?]

 

Okay, first of all, how did the game developers know about Kaeun bullying me in real life?

"Wah.." I felt shivers ran through my spine by how accurate this description was with my current situation. I gulped nervously, staring at the screen for almost 2 minutes now.

"Haha...why am I getting nervous for? This is just a game." I told to myself, clicking Accept. However, the moment I accepted the quest, the app immediately shuts down, returning me back to my homescreen.

"Wha-" Thinking that this was just a one time thing, I clicked back to the Life Simulator app, only to then see a message displayed on my screen.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter