Final

You Say It's Coincidence, I Say It's Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tears rolled down her cheeks as a 6 year old Jaemi was taunted by the bigger boys. She was always the target of bullying due to her small size and crybaby character. Currently, the 3 boys were standing in front of her as they dangled her favourite doll inches away from her head.

"Aww, are you crying because of your stupid doll?" one of them laughed. Another ripped off the said dolls arm and the horrific scene cause Jaemi's cries to increase. Bruises were clear on her arms from her previous attempts of regaining her doll back but to no success. Jaemi had given up on fighting the boys but her precious doll was now ruined.

But the boys laughter stopped abruptly. There was a flash of movement before the boy who was holding her doll was now on the ground, clutching his stomach in pain.

"Don't you people have any dignity? Making a little girl cry is pathetic," an unknown boy spoke as he gathered the remains of the doll before handing it back to Jaemi. She managed to look at his face and noticed how tall the boy was - surely he was older than them. The bullies quickly ran off, afraid of the sudden appearance of a hero.

The unknown boy was a good one head taller than Jaemi was and she looked up to him awe, he seemed exactly like a knight in shining armour there to save his princess. He bent his knees so his eye level matched the younger girl's.

"You have to learn how to defend yourself, alright?" He stared at her doll in pity. "I'm sorry I was too late to save your doll." He softly her hair and flashed her a smile, "So, from now on you should learn to stand up for yourself - don't let anyone take away what's yours and don't let anyone make you cry."

"Taeyong-ah!" a woman's voice could be heard afar and the boy turned around to see his mother looking for him.

"I have to go now. Take care, little girl," he pinched her cheek before running off to his mother's side.

The first thing Jaemi did when she got home was beg her parents to attend taekwondo classes and being their only daughter, they gave in to her sudden desire.

"When we meet again, I'll be sure to able to protect you!"

A 10 year old Jaemi was wondering through the park aimlessly. Her brothers had run off ahead of her and left her behind - it was meant as a harmless joke but unfortunately for them, Jaemi had bad sense of direction and ended up going the opposite way. Jaemi was lost and alone, she was terrified.

She sat down on one of the benches and noticed how it was slowly getting darker. "What to do... I can't remember which way we came from..." she thought as her hands began to shake out of fear. She had heard stories from her older brothers about monsters that would come out at night and take little children that were alone - the main reason why she hated dark places and being outside. Jaemi didn't know how long she had sat there but tears began to spill as fear consumed her.

"Are you alright?"

A voice asked her and she jumped back in shock. It was a boy, an oddly familiar older boy. He looked around and noticed there was no one around them, the girl was all alone. "Are you lost?" he began to move closer to her but she quickly moved further away from him. Even if he did look familiar, Jaemi was always taught that strangers were a danger. Sensing her fear, he took a step back.

"I won't hurt you, I promise. I just want to help," he spoke, "I'll stand right here, okay? I won't move any closer unless you want me to."

Jaemi didn't say anything but he noticed how her breathing had calm down and her tears had stopped.

"Where's your parents? Are you lost?"

Jaemi nodded her head, "M-My...My brothers... ran off and...and I don't remember which way we came from."

"Okay, alright... Look, you're going to be fine. I'll keep you company until your parents fetch you, is that alright? Can I sit down next to you?"

Jaemi hesitated but soon she nodded her head. The boy sat down on the bench and silence fell. But the day was getting darker and the place they were sitting had dim lights, it would make it harder for her parents to find her. "It's getting darker here, why don't we head over there?" he suggested and pointed at some shops with bright lights. He could use a phone there to call the police and they could help her. Oddly, the girl shook her head.

"No... It's dark over there. My brothers said monsters live in dark places."

The boy fought back a laugh, she certainly had some mean brothers in her family. "Well, lucky for you - monsters aren't afraid of me," he found it amusing to see the look of wonder in her eyes, "If you hold my hand, the monsters won't get to you."

That's how the boy managed to convince Jaemi to walk down towards the row of shops. One of the workers recognized Jaemi and called up her parents.

"Are you going to leave?" she had asked when she noticed the boy had stood up. "I...I just wanted to say thank you."

"No problem, little girl. Stay safe," he had the same glint in his eyes before he waved her goodbye.

Jaemi knew exactly who he was - she would forever remember his eyes.

 

 

Years had passed and Jaemi had grown into a teenager. Even then, the memory of a strange boy who had came to her rescue not once but twice still remained fresh in her mind. She often wondered who the boy's name was but would often scold herself for such thoughts, they were strangers after all - strangers who met due to coincidence.

As she was one of the top students in her school, it would come to no surprise that Jaemi was busy studying at a quiet cafe near her house. Of course, the library would be a better option but she enjoyed the sound of people chatting and the smell of coffee and pastries - it was a good environment for her to study. As she highlighted an important part of her notes, her head looked up at the sound of a chair being pulled up.

A group of guys had sat down at her table and she clearly remembers not inviting them over. Jaemi groans, this wasn't the first time such a thing had happened. "Intruders," she had thought as she decided not to waste her time on them.

"What's a pretty girl like you sitting all alone?" one of them spoke.

"Studying and apparently trying to stay away from you," she answered back. "Look, I have better use of my time so why don't you boys run somewhere else and leave me alone?"

The guys laughed at her request. "Feisty one, aren't you?" he draped his arm over her shoulders. "We're just looking for some fun and I think you're the best thing here." Jaemi rolled her eyes, oh how she hated it.

"Remove your arm or you'll be sorry for it," she warned them. Perhaps it was due to her small size that they didn't take her warning seriously. Feeling her blood boil, she decided to take action. In a flash, she removed the boys arm and twisted it behind his back before kicking his seat away.

"I told you, you'll be sorry," she growled and released him from her hold. As she tidied up her things, the guys glared at her.

One of them grabbed her hair back, "Who the hell do you think you are, ?"

Before Jaemi could do her signature body slam on the said guy, someone else had stepped in to help her. The new face gave a hard punch to the guy's face and Jaemi swear she heard something break. Another one lunged at her but due to her long years of training, she managed to grab his face and give him a knee kick to the face (which resulted in another bloody nose).

"Run!" her saviour had urged before she tugged her bag and he grabbed her arm. The two of them dashed out of the cafe with the 3 guys following after them after taking a moment to recover. Jaemi managed to keep up with her saviour and she had to admit, he was pretty fast on his feet. Both of them stopped running when they were certain they were out of sight.

"T...Thank you," Haeun managed to speak through her pants and the boy nodded. He looked up to meet her eyes, "Don't mention it." It was when their eyes met did they realised who the other was.

Jaemi was the first to break their silence, "It's you again..."

Taeyong chuckled, "Yeah... What a coincidence, right?"

They laughed over their situation - it seemed like Taeyong would always be the one to save Jaemi in their random encounters.

"Are you alright? Did they hurt you anywhere?" he asked and she assured him she was fine. Jaemi laughed, "I think we did more damage to them than they did to us. Bloody noses."

"Hope we didn't break anything."

"Except for their ego that is."

Looking at the time, she noticed she was running late than she had planned. "It was nice seeing you again. Thanks for saving me...again," she flashed him a smile. "Do you think those guys would be looking for us again after this?"

Taeyong waved her off, "I'll deal with them. I promise you, they will never bother you again after this."

Of course, he was her knight in shining armour - saving her from yet another disaster.

"I'll see you... I guess? Goodbye, my knight," she waved him goodbye before both of them went their separate ways. After she was gone, Taeyong made a little call to his friends - they would teach the boys a good lesson what would happen if they were to mess with girls ever again.

Three years had passed and of course, the two hadn't meet at all.

A tall figure stumbles out of a building, clutching his bruised sides as he runs. The rain pours heavily and blurs his sight. As he leans against a wall, he shivers from the cold. His legs give out and he falls to the floor, feeling the cold rain hit hit face. The last thing he saw were a pair of yellow boots before he passed out.

"Thank you so much," Jaemi pays the driver before quickly heading back into the hospital. She spots the nurse beside the bed and asks, "Is he going to be alright?"

"He most likely passed out due to the cold rain and exhaustion but he's stable. Your boyfriend should wake up soon," the nurse leaves Jaemi with hung open. She didn't even have time to correct the nurse's statement. The girl sits down beside Taeyong's bed as she receives a call.

"Where are you?" it was her boyfriend, Mark. They had promised date night tonight but she doubts she can make it. "Something came up, I'm sorry," she sighs, "It's really important."

"More important than your boyfriend?"

"Yes," she answers, "Look, Mark... I'll call you back later, alright? I'll make it up, I promise." But the line goes dead before she can say anything else. She gives up on calling him back, she knows he's mad at her. Jaemi places her phone on silent and puts it in her pocket. She stares at the boy laying on the hospital bed. She doesn't know his name but she knows his face, the same face that had saved her a couple of times in the past. "Maybe this is fate's way of me returning the favour," she wonders.

Taeyong opens his eyes and notices the white ceiling above him. For a moment he wonders if he was in heaven and as he turned around to see an angel, he was quite sure he was.

"You're awake, I'll go get the nurse," she says and leaves him.

Nurse? That would mean he was in the hospital. The girl returns with a nurse and after a few check-ups, the nurse says, "He's alright but I suggest we keep him here for a night." The girl thanks the nurse and the two are left alone. He knows who she is - he knows her eyes.

"How are you feeling?" Jaemi asks Taeyong.

"Bruised but I'll live. I can't believe this is how we keep bumping into each other," he comments and she laughs. He sees her looking at the time and her expression changes. "Is there anyone you could call? Parents or friends to take care of you while you're here?" Jaemi couldn't stay for long even if she wanted too. She takes out his phone from her bag, "They gave me this. You should really call someone."

He nods in agreement before calling up his friends. "Johnny? Hey, man. Yeah, I need a favour. Could you bring me some clothes? I'm at XXX Hospital. No, just got bruised up a bit. Thanks, I'll see you in a few."

Taeyong ends the call as Jaemi stands up. "Well then, I'll be taking my leave," she grabs her bag and gives a slight bow. "I hope you get better soon."

Before she could leave, Taeyong snatched her hand.

"Before you go, could... could you tell me your name?"

Jaemi smiles, "Moon Jaemi, it's Moon Jaemi."

"I'm Lee Taeyong," he slowly lets go of her hand.

"Well, I hope you'll have a speedy recover, Taeyong," with a wave, she leaves him.

"Would this count as a coincidence?"

Jaemi stepped out of the convenience store, happy th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter