One

Lucky

Your parents’ jobs always came first. That was the golden rule ever since you could remember, and for a long time you didn’t see anything wrong with it. But even then, with your father stuck in his office and your mother taking yet another shift at the hospital, your nights were never lonely, because you had your bunny-hybrid with you. Ji-woo was possibly the fiercest herbivore ever known to mankind. She basically raised you herself, taught you right from wrong, took you to all your lessons, scolded you for misbehaving and, most of all, made you love her.

Leaving Ji-woo to go to law school was one of your most embarrassing moments, with too much crying, and begging, and her telling you again and again to tough it up and just leave already. In the end, she wasn’t really yours, but your parents’. So now that you finally – finally – got your own job and found a place of your own, it was a giving that getting a pet was the number one priority.

You knew the ins and outs, pros and cons. Spent countless hours researching The Neo-Exotic Pets’ Rights, not to mention that you had the experience. Twenty-frickin-three years of it. You were ready.

There was only one teeny tiny problem. The hybrid you wanted to meet could only be adopted with his friend.

“Stop showing me that photo. I said no.”

You stared at your best friend with needles in your eyes. Would it be so awful to at least pretend to consider it?

“Come on, It’s the only way I can keep him! Please?”

The two of you first met at University, and couldn’t be more unlikely roommates. She – a hardworking beauty from the business department. Then you – a very messy law student who ended up dropping out during first year. As long as your share of the rent money kept coming, she had no problems with you sticking around the apartment. So that you did, working every odd job you could find.

Then, as soon as she got her degree, she decided it was time to get a place of her own, which basically meant you had to do it too. That or risk getting a ty new roommate. It wasn’t a decision she made to hurt you, but you did feel a little betrayed. And lonely.

“Look at them, they’re adorable.” You waved the photo in front of her for dramatic effect. Meanwhile, the clerk stared ahead, wishing he could be elsewhere.

“I’m just not into hybrid-culture, okay? It’s creepy and I don’t have the time.”

The only reason you refrained from rolling your eyes was because it probably wouldn’t help your cause. The few hybrids hanging out near you gasped, insulted. And that only strengthened your resolve.

“Hybrid-culture isn’t creepy! They’re meant to be your companions, your live-in-friends. My parents treat our Ji-woo like royalty, you know?”

That didn’t make her waver. An emotional appeal wasn’t likely to work… Unless you backed it up with some facts.

“If they need to be adopted together, then it significantly drops their chances of ever finding a home. How would you like being stuck here forever? Think about it, we are always going out together, texting each other, visiting. They’d be able to meet all the time! It’s perfect.” You turned to the clerk. “Isn’t it perfect?”

Kyungsoo, whose name tag you had just noticed, looked as desperate as you felt. “I-”

“Well, I think it’s perfect!” it was better to not bet on a hot stranger’s opinion.

“Oh fine! I’ll take a look at him, but I’m not promising anything.” She was though. As tough as she pretended to be, she wouldn’t be your best friend if it wasn’t for her big golden heart.

She leaned on the counter, clearly defeated. “How does this whole adoption thing work, exactly?”

“You-”

“First you need to meet your potential pet.” You started. “Then, if both parties are interested, since it’s very important that the hybrid feels safe, you give the shelter your info so they can run a background check. That usually takes a week, so people can use this time to prepare their homes and, you know, see how confident they are about getting a hybrid. If you don’t give up, and get an okay from the shelter, then you can come back with the money and take your new family member home.” You took a breath “Right?”

Kyungsoo took a moment to answer, probably wondering if he’d get cut off again. “That seems about right. So, Are you guys ready to look at our hybrids?”

You smiled triumphantly as the both of you followed him to the back of the store. Sure, maybe you wouldn’t get along with this cat-hybrid. Maybe someone else would catch your eye. Still, at least now he and his friend had as much of a chance as the others.

Reaching the common room, you were pleased to see hybrids playing around and chatting. This was the main reason why you chose this shelter instead of some fancy pet store. The hybrids actually had their own rooms, a place to interact, and were given freedom to some extent. The shelter specialized in helping runaways and abandoned hybrids. And they did so while making their lives as comfortable as possible, which resulted in no income and required regular adoptions. “And donations” Kyungsoo explained to your friend. “Ah, there he is. Baekhyun!” He waved at a group of hybrids playing UNO at the far side of the room, but only one of them was in the photos Kyungsoo showed you. The black cat.

His ears went up as soon as he heard his name, so fluffy and matching his black hair so perfectly that images of you petting them went through your mind. His pair of blue eyes quickly met yours before focusing on the man beside you with a cheeky smile. Your heart all but jumped out of your chest at the sight, Baekhyun was even cutter in person.

“Just one second,” his attention went back the table, “I’m about to win this round.”

“No you’re not.” Said the dark haired dog beside him, right before throwing a +4 at the card pile.

Betrayed, Baekhyun covered his eyes with his hands dramatically. Both his friends started laughing, but stopped as soon as they noticed you were standing right next to them, laughing as well. Before anyone could stop you, your feet had taken you to them. Heat rose to your cheeks, your weight going from one foot to the other. “Hi.”

“Hi.” The dog smiled. “Wanna play with us? I’m Chen.”

You glanced at your friend, who was still by the door with Kyungsoo. She moved her lips with a silent Go On. Now it was the time to trust that she’d go meet Baekhyun’s friend and at least give him a chance. Still, panic was creeping through your mind.

Okay, okay. Just be cool. No, scratch that. I can’t be cool. Just be normal.

“Yeah, that’d be great.” You sat down, three pair of hopeful eyes following you. Oh no. If there was a way to take all of them home, you would. But that was impossible, so it’d be better to make your intentions clear. “Actually, I was hoping to talk to you.” You turned to Baekhyun.

His eyes widened, passing through his peers as he pointed to himself. “Me?”

You nodded.

“No way.” Snorted the blond cat at your side. “You want a black cat? Surely I’m much prettier.”

“Shut up and shuffle the cards.” Chen kicked him under the table.

The cat tsked and started his task. “It’s no secret they’re the least likely to be adopted.” He said under his breath.

“Black cats are pretty, people are just dumb.” Your voice was a little too loud, your heart was beating a little too fast, as it usually did when facing even the smallest of conflicts. “Just look at him, he is gorgeous.” You gestured towards Baekhyun, to his shining eyes and broad smile, only then catching yourself.

The rude cat stared at you in disbelief. Chen was fidgeting. There’s no way that wasn’t weird, right?

You averted your gaze, tapping nervously at the table with your fingers. Why did you do that? Why couldn’t you just let things go every once in a while? If some silly cat thought black cats were ugly that was his problem, no need to make a fool out of yourself because of it. And yet you did, because the very idea that someone, anyone, would mistreat a hybrid for such a petty reason was infuriating. Baekhyun hummed, but you refused to look up to see his expression. He was probably thinking you were some creep.

Maybe it was just your nerves, but the silence was stretching for way too long. “Excuse me.” You muttered, then got up to search for your friend.

So much for trying to be normal. You didn’t last five minutes. Or even got to properly talk to him. Well, no problem. The chances you’d manage to adopt the first hybrid that caught your eye were slim from the start. Maybe Kyungsoo could recommend to you someone else. Someone who hadn’t heard you making a scene. A hybrid who wouldn’t mind having a creepy, desperate owner. Okay, now you were just spiraling.  

The mild panic was so distracting, you didn’t even notice the hybrid behind you until he grabbed your hand. Turning around, your eyes met with those beautiful blue ones again. Baekhyun came after you.

“We are unlucky too, you know?” he asked.

You were at a loss for words, mouth opening then closing again. Slowly, he let go of you.

“Black cats, I mean.” Baekhyun insisted after you remained wordless.

That was even dumber then thinking black cats were ugly. You shook your head vehemently. “No you’re not.”

He gave you a shy smile, then coughed once. “I thought you wanted to talk to me, where were you going?”

“I was looking for my friend. We came here together.”

“Ah, the scary looking woman.” He grinned. “She went to the front with Chanyeol.”

Aha! You knew she would cave. If memory served you right, and to be honest it usually did, Chanyeol was the friend he wanted to be adopted with. Except that was actually bad, ‘cause now if Baekhyun hated you, his friend would be disappointed too.

“You don’t need to answer if you don’t want to, but… Why is it that you want to be adopted together?”

Baekhyun’s grin turned into a worried expression. “It’s not like it’s non-negotiable.” He looked at the ground, then back at you. “Living in a shelter, I get to meet a lot of hybrids, make a lot of friends. But then, every once in a while, one will get an owner and we don’t get to see them anymore. I guess I just don’t want to lose my best friend.”

If your heart had ever cracked before this moment, it sure didn’t feel as bad as it did now. Flashes of you crying on Ji-woo’s lap crossed your mind. There’s no way you would feel okay about never seeing her again. Heck, you got an apartment as close to you best friend’s as possible so you wouldn’t lose touch. Maybe you were desperate, and unfit to be a proper owner. And probably had some small abandonment issues, now that you thought about it. But right now, keeping those hybrids together was all that mattered.

“Me and my friend, we live 20 minutes from each other.” His ears picked up with interest, so you continued talking. “If we adopt you guys, you wouldn’t get to live together, but I promise I’d let you meet him as much as you like.”

Before you even finished, Baekhyun’s face had already lit up. “That would be great.”

“Then, you really want me to adopt you? Didn’t I freak you out earlier?” You were probably pushing your luck, but it was important that he felt safe.

“No, I liked it. Call me gorgeous again.” Baekhyun purred.

Oh.

 


***

 

Y/N [10:33PM]:

a group of butterflies is a kaleidoscope

did u know?

you can also say swarm tho


Y/F/N [10:35]

you’re the editor, how would I know


Y/N [10:35PM]:

would you say there’s a kaleidoscope of butterflies in your stomach?

for emphasis

i think it’s weird

but maybe necessary?


Y/F/N [10:36PM]

please stop.