Prologue

Lucky

As soon as the bell rang, at least half the hybrids raised their heads to the door. Kyungsoo held back a sigh and welcomed the two women that walked in the shelter. All that staring made customers nervous, but he couldn’t just keep everyone locked in the back all the time.

One of the women, wearing what he could only describe as a business attire, walked with purpose in his direction.

“We’re here for a cat.” She said in a bored tone.

“It sure doesn’t sound like you want one.” To be honest, talking back to customers could ruin a possible adoption, but too many hybrids were adopted by unsure owners, only to be abandoned again after a couple of weeks. When possible, he wanted to make sure this wouldn’t happen.

The woman opened , but before she could respond, her friend bumped her to the side. “That’s because I’m the one who wants one. Hi!” she waved her hand once, and only then did he notice her I ♥ coffee sweater. Overly eager customers could be just as bad as uninterested ones, so he decided to proceed with caution.

“Can you be more specific? Personality wise?”

Coffee Girl paused for a beat. “Well, I’m not sure. I haven’t really thought about it.” She looked at her friend “My roommate just kicked me out, so I’m living alone for the first time ever. Guess I’m just feeling lonely and betrayed, you know?” At that, Business Woman rolled her eyes, but Coffee Girl was already back at it. “I have a lot of work, I can’t take care of a kitten. So… I’m thinking maybe a grown cat-hybrid? A friendly energetic cat-hybrid, that is around my age?”

“Is that even possible? That’s too specific.” her friend snorted.

“I do have a cat-hybrid that matches your taste.”

“You do?” They both said in unison.

“He’s here? Can I see him?” Coffee Girl’s smile came back even wider.

“Not yet, I don’t want to have you meet him and get his hopes up for nothing.” Kyungsoo took a deep breath as he watched her cheerful expression give way to a confused one “He has a friend that’s been with him his whole life, I don’t want to separate them.”

No one spoke for a while.

Then Coffee Girl turned to a horrified Business Woman.

“No.”

“Yes!”