003

Summer Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongin looked around, still hoping. That one face in these hundreds of faces will be hers, he would find one pair of eyes familiar. He hoped she still cared. That his name hadn't been thrown into the back of her head, left their to be forgotten. They had spent a good chunk of their lives together. Jongin could only remember smiles. She could make him smile so much, laugh so hard that his cheeks would hurt; he would clutch them with his hands and yet still laugh with her. Iseul and Jongin made a perfect couple, people used to say.

Jongin didn't want the flowers in his hand to be thrown into the garbage can again, just like last year, and the years before. These flowers were to be cherished, loved because they deserved it. Iseul would never throws them away. But every night when he'd go home after waiting for her Christmas Eves, the flowers would be withered already.

As hours would pass by, his hopes will die down. It happened every year. Jongin was so used to it. He didn't know why he waited still when it was clear she'd not be coming. Perhaps, Jongin was a far-fetched memory in her mind already. She was just fine, he thought.

"Jongin, I thought you were entering the competition?"

"I'm not," Jongin eplied flatly, appearing a little distant. Iseul touched his shoulder, placing a finger under his chin to have a better look at his face. She observed the dejected aura around him, realizing something was definitely up to make him look so sad.

He avoided her eyes at all cost. "Ey, what's wrong?"

"I'm fine," he grumbled, shifting away from her.

"Yeah, and that's how people look when they're fine?" Iseul brought her hands back to herself, resting her elbows on the table that sat between them. University had just ended, and Jongin had passed with flying colours like everyone had expected him to. Iseul somewhat passed, she'd say. And all the credits to Jongin who had somehow gotten her stubborn head to study.

While he could get a job anywhere, Iseul wanted him to pursue photography. He was an amazing photographer, everyone would say so in the school. He had a scholarship that had offered him to study without any cost. Iseul and him had gone to the same university. He had studied as a Business major but at the end of the day, he just couldn't put his head to be someone from the business background. His heart yearned for being behind the camera, capture memories for years to come.

"You're taking up a job?"

"No," Jongin groaned, burying his face in his hands. Iseul grabbed his hand and entertwined their fingers. "It's not that."

"What is it, then?" She asked. "Why are you not participating? You're an amazing photographer, Jongin."

"Yeah?" He let out a little chuckle that died as soon as it started. Iseul raised a brow at him. "I don't want to participate. Just because."

"What's the excuse?" Iseul leaned into listen to him with a strict face. "Aunty told you not to?"

"No, nothing like that--"

"Then, why?"

"Because my camera isn't enough," Jongin answered in a loud voice. "It's old and I don't have the money to buy the one with the features required. That's it, Iseul. I don't want to embarrass myself in front of so many. The participation fee is high and I cannot afford to lose."

Iseul looked at him with soft eyes, blinking when he finished speaking. "I'm sorry," He apologized for shouting at her. Jongin squeezed his eyes shut bringing his two fingers to rub his forehead. "But that's just it."

"You could've told me," She bit the insides of her cheek, looking down at the table.

"I don't...I don't need anyone's pity, Iseul. You know how I hate that the most."

"I'm not pitying you, Jongin," she clicked her tongue. "I have saved a little over the years. It's not my Dad's money. I've earned those myself. We could use that money to buy you a camera. How about that?"

"Not your Dad's money?"

"You know, I used to tutor some kids from my neighbourhood. And when I was around thirteen, I used to help my Mom's friend in her little pastry shop. I used to be the one in charge of the cash. I was paid with cakes and some money. I've saved all of those. And now I know why."

"No, you don't," Jongin shook his head. "I'm not taking anyone's money."

Iseul blinked at him, watched how he avoided her gaze. opened to say something but then closed because she didn't know what to say. "J-Jongin...what's mine is yours. Right?"

Jongin shook his head. "Don't bother." He said before standing up and striding out of the cafe, leaving her all by herself.

 

 

 

 

 

"Hey, happy birthday."

"What?"

"Dude, you forgot your birthday?"

Jongin arched his brows. Birthday? He thought his was already gone? "It's fourteenth today. I thought you were looking forward to it. Iseul's around?"

"Uh, no," he sighed. "Know what?  I haven't heard from her for a week now." Jongin dropped the picture in his hand on the table, standing up realizing he had been sitting there for a long time now. "Her phone's always out of reach and she's not home. That has kept me a little occupied."

"I hope she's fine, though," Sehun muttered, a little surprised because Iseul and Jongin were rather inseparable to start with. "I personally think it's a plan to surprise you on your birthday. Just a random thought."

"I have a bad feeling about this," Jongin his lips, jumping into his bed. "Thanks, though. I really did forget."

"It's fine," Sehun said. Jongin would've never imagined Sehun to get a job before him, not to mention, a job that paid so high. But then again, Jongin wasn't really trying to get a job. Because he was torn between so many choices. "Hope it's what I think it is. Bye, then."

"Okay," Jongin hung up first. Throwing his phone somewhere on the bed before closing his eyes, lying on his back. What was even happening? Had he screwed up? Was that why she wasn't responding to his calls and refusing to meet him even? That was too cruel.

"Oppa!"

The knock on the door had him groaning. perhaps it was because of Iseul's absence that he had become so sensitive in just a week. It was taking a toll on him. Her face in the many pictures weren't working anymore. He needed the real her.

"Come in!" He yelled back.

The knob turned. Yerim poked her head in. "You have a parcel without any return address. No name at all," She walked in with a brown box. "There's another one downstairs, by the way. That one's taller."

"Parcel with no name?" Jongin sat up, taking it from her. He examined the note on top of it. It only said: To Kim Jongin. 34/3 Myeongdong.

Yerim took her seat on the carpet in the middle, a spark in her eyes as she looked at the parcel. "I'll open it with you?" She asked with those puppy eyes. Jongin shrugged, placing it back on her hands. Yerim wasn't as bright as Jongin but her personality over ruled everything. She was that bubbly sister every brother would want. He could never say no to her.

As the cover came out, Yerim gasped. "A camera?" She mumbled with awe in her eyes. "The one downstairs might be the stand, Oppa!"

Jongin arched his brows, standing up to sit down beside her. Yerim passed him the device with a smile. "It's new. About time you ditched your old camera, Oppa." Jongin forced a smile on his lips. On normal circumstances, he would've been the happiest person to ever live. But without Iseul, his joy had just been shot down to zero. "I'll bring the other one  for you," Yerim stood up, making her way towards the door. Jongin heard her footsteps on the st

Please log in to read the full chapter