002

Summer Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

"Look, it's the scholarship guy."

As Jongin walked through the school gates, he could hear mocking snickers around him. He knew he couldn't stop and look back or else he would have to bear the cruel consequences. He was kind of used to it, he'd say but those students still scared him, though he never let it show.

It happened everyday. It was considered normal here. The school was for elites, or so he had heard and there was no place for a scholarship student who couldn't afford a new set of uniform and had to wear those second hand ones passed from the old students of the school.

They didn't want to have a scholarship student going in their prestigious school. Jongin would just ruin the reputation, they thought. So either they tell the poor students to leave or they use violence. Jongin knew exactly how they used violence here, because he too faced their cruel treatment. Sometimes their harsh treatments got too hard to bear that he just wanted to quit everything and start looking for a job, just like Sehun. If Sehun were here, he would've made sure to beat those rich annoying kids to pulp. He was more than enough to cut them off with his harsh words.

Jongin could run away, but what stopped him was the picture of his mother; of her when she came home from the little stall by the corner of the church, so late at night, with those heavy bags under her eyes and slumped shoulders, indicating she had not made much. That they might have to go another night without eating. While Jongin could bear the hunger, his little sister couldn't. She was only eight. Jongin was fated to be a part of such a cruel cycle. He had no choice.

But he wanted to have one. He knew money was the problem. So he wanted to earn so much that his mother would be able to sleep on his money, that he would be able to feed his sister to her heart's content. Therefore, he had to study, become someone prominent—even if it meant leaving photography, he would do everything.

Though he told himself not to be bothered by these annoying brats for whom money grew on tress, he couldn't help but feel nervous. He had only started his classes. Would the bullying be everyday? He hoped not to lose his reason to live because of all these bullies. He hoped they wouldn't reach that point.

Shrugging these thoughts off his mind, he went to his locker that was at the corner of a hall. With a sigh, he unlocked the door with his shining new key. Unlike most days, they had spared his locker, he noted. They would often spill water on his books, taking every chance when he forgot to close the door at times. Rotten eggs, half-eaten apples, dirty chocolate wrappers, he would often meet their sight in the mornings. Not finding anything wrong, Jongin arched his brows. Were they finally leaving him alone?

He gasped when a splash of water water landed on his shirt from behind. The liquid dripped onto his eyes, He blinked as he turned around. The water soaked into his shirt, reaching down to his pants. Of all things, they had decided to spoil his new uniform today. Second-hand, lower in price than theirs. Jongin sighed at the cackles. Soon, another splash landed on his face, drenching him entirely. He flinched at the icy water, gulping the anger down. He wasn't supposed to be affected at all but today, they were on an extreme level.

"Just trying to wake you up," the hoarse voice said, "This is not a place for a filth like you."

Everyone laughed at him. Jongin darted his eyes to the floor, waiting for them to move after they had had enough fun watching him shiver.

"Jongin!"

He heard a feminine voice but didn't dare to look up. It was familiar. In fact, he remembered whom it belonged to as well. Just that, he didn't want her to see him in such a state. She would pity him then. He didn't want anyone's pity.

Heads turned to the running figure in the corridor, eyes widened at the name she was calling. Why would she even pronounce 'Jongin', everyone thought. Her pretty mouth was worth more than that. Jongin shyly met her gaze, water dripping to his nose from his hair, eventually landing on the floor. "Jongin," his name came out of her lips in a whisper, her eyes filled with conflict. "Who did this to you?"

Jongin stared at her, unable to gather any words. She looked beautiful, wearing that perfectly ironed uniform, silk hair tied into two braids. He shook his head, "It was raining from where I came."

She chuckled, "You take me for a fool?" Iseul asked, turning to the crowd around Jongin when he didn't answer. "Hi, I'm Iseul!" She said in a cheery tone. "I'm new in this school and hope to make a lot of friends," Jongin arched his brows at her, what was she here for? "But, I can bet I'll never be any of your friend," her tone was icy when she said that.

Someone cleared his throat from the crowd that had gathered to watch the fun. Jongin looked up to see Sungyoo who introduced himself to Iseul. "Jongin and I are friends," he said so effortlessly when he was the one to spill water on Jongin. "We're very good friends actually. Come eat lunch with me some time," he smiled at her, appearing as if he were a Prince Charming.

"I can see that you two are very good friends," Iseul smiled at them, mocking them.

"Ey, buddy," Sungyoo, wrapped an arm around Jongin, "tell her about how close we are. I never knew you had such a beautiful friend."

Jongin sent him a glare which he smiled at. "I'll n

Please log in to read the full chapter