Chapter 3

The Antics of Kim Mingyu

“Listen, man, I’m like really sorry.” Mingyu rehearsed to himself outside #2301’s door. His fist hovered over their door, hesitation filling every part of his brain. Maybe he should go for a cool vibe?

“Yo, 2301, sorry dude.” He practiced, with a smirk. No, that would be too cocky of him to do. He decided to trust his gut and just go for it. 

He knocked on the door. “Hey, unit 2301? You home? I-it’s the guy from last night.” , that sounded so pathetic and timid of him. Whatever, what’s said is said. He felt footsteps scramble to the door, and his palm immediately felt clammy. 

What if they reported him to the cops? He was too young to be arrested. Besides, if he explained it was just an accident then he’d have a clean slate right?

He put his hand by his side as he felt the door open, and boy, was he awestruck. 

On the other side of the door was...was the epitome of beauty. The tenant had short black hair and his black skinny jeans accentuated his thighs. The shirt was oversized, but he looked too cute in it. 

Jesus ing Christ, Mingyu looked like a mess in front of this visual-filled guy; he had just come from his jog, so his bangs were plastered onto his sweaty forehead. His shirt was sweat stained and he hoped it wasn’t as if he didn’t shower for days. 

, he should’ve showered if he knew this dude was going to appear from behind the door. He probably reeked of sweat, too.

“Uh,” the guy from behind said. “It’s you...?”

Mingyu laughed and rubbed his nape. “Yup, it was me.” Why did he sound so enthusiastic? 

The guy next door didn’t seem to excited about that smile plastered on Mingyu’s face. “You know, that wasn’t the greatest introduction I had to Grey Apartments.” 

“And for that, I’m so sincerely sorry. How can I make it up to you?” 

The tenant put his index finger to his chin and thought, leaning against the doorframe. Goodness, did he realize how good he looked when he did this? The only time he thought someone was so y was in high school and his first crush, Kyulkyung. Whatever, that never ended up going anywhere. 
But, this, this might be destiny. Neighbors? Out of the thousands of people in Seoul the two just happened to live next to each other. 

“Take me grocery shopping.” He beamed. 

That smile was so sweet and Mingyu wanted to make it his. For ’s sake, he was falling in love with this guy- wait, what? 

“Grocery shopping?!” 

The neighbor nodded, beaming arrogantly. “Yup, I’ll see you in an hour!” And shut the door on Mingyu’s face.

That all happened too fast. Sure, he was grateful he now wasn’t perceived as some psycho, but he didn’t even get the dude’s number, let alone name. 

Whatever, he’d take this any day from being put behind bars. He had one hour to freshen up and make sure he didn’t look as crusty as he did now. 

He headed inside his apartment and took a shower, then stood in front of his closet, decisive. 

What should he wear? Nothing too formal but nothing too tacky. He didn’t want to seem as someone too lenient, so basically clothes that made him look cooler. Just to pay it safe, he spritzed on some light cologne. Again, just to play it safe. 

Slipping on some black skinny jeans and a collared shirt, he tied up black converses. He cringed as he looked at himself in the mirror- it was like his middle school emo self all over again. Maybe his hair could do some fixing? Currently he had it styled up, he looked his age when he put it down. He brushed his bangs downwards so that it was now covering his eyebrows. Perfect- y without even trying. 

Why was he obsessing over his looks? Sure the neighbor was y but it’s not as if he actually LOVED him, right? Maybe it was a short-term infatuation because he was tired of all the girls at the club. He was not gay, that’s for sure. It was also probably the hangover- this was probably a sign he should stop drinking so much; his brain was getting too ed up for his liking.

Glancing at his phone, he had 5 minutes to go. Figured better early than late so he walked out and knocked on the neighbor’s door.

It opened quickly, too quickly for his liking, and revealed a wet haired guy. His hair was dripping and he was out of breath. Mingyu assumed he rushed because his shirt wasn’t buttoned up correctly. Cute. Wait, what? “I thought you were coming at 12?”

“It’s only 5 minutes away,”

Mingyu read a puzzled expression on the tenant’s face, but reluctantly shrugged. “Come inside, I guess.”  

He stepped inside as the tenant careened inside the bathroom, which left Mingyu feeling awkward. Out of the 1 year he has been living here, he never entered someone else’s apartment. All of the tenants on his and other floors just coexisted in silence. There was never a need  to speak. Maybe once in a while there would be small talk and a mutual nod. Nothing more.

He snapped out of his thoughts when the bathroom door open. “Sorry it’s so empty. I just moved in, more stuff’s coming in, I swear.” 

“Nah, it’s fine. Mine was the same when I first moved in.”

“How long was that?”

“Uhhh...approximately 2 years ago.” The tenant nodded silently to his response, not really knowing what to say.  He decided to put on his shoes. Mingyu decided to break the silence. “How are you okay with inviting a total stranger over to your apartment? I could be a creep.”

The tenant laughed.  Mingyu didn’t really understand why he did. “I know you’re not a creep. If you were, you wouldn’t have apologized. Besides,” he stopped and gazed up at Mingyu, scanning him head to do. Mingyu hoped his copper skin hid the blush tinting his cheeks. He looked away. “You don’t seem like a creep.” 

“Thanks.” 

“While we’re at it, what even is your name?” The tenant said as he got up, now facing Mingyu. Mingyu had an impulse to close the gap between them,  but he mentally slapped himself. It’s just the hangover-nothing else. Right. 

“I’m Mingyu. Kim Mingyu.”

“Kim Mingyu. It has a nice ring,” Mingyu wanted this stranger to say his name every day of life. He wanted to get up to his soft voice. , this was getting out of hand. He needed to head to the club as soon as he finished shopping, to revisit the taste of the girls there. “Well, I’m Jeon Wonwoo.” 

“What’s your number?” Mingyu blurted out. What the . , , . Now this Wonwoo guy would think he was an actual creep. He prepared himself for the cold rejection. 

Instead, Wonwoo’s eyes were filled with mirth. “Hm? So soon? Fine,” he reached out for Mingyu’s phone. 

Fumbling and almost dropping his phone, he anxiously handed it to him. Wonwoo smirked upon seeing the flustered Mingyu. 

This was not Mingyu, usually he’d be in Wonwoo’s place, teasing anyone at least attempted to flirt with him. Now he was paralyzed in front of Wonwoo’s stare. 

“Your wallpaper’s emo,” Wonwoo joked as he typed in his number. “Come to think of it, you’re dressed emo.” 

Mingyu gazed down at his clothing. At home he thought he was a “y emo”, he didn’t realize he looked like cringey. “Oh,” he said softly. 

“Whatever, it’s cute.” Wonwoo said as he gave back the phone. Maybe he didn’t realize it, but that compliment meant the world to Mingyu. 

Wonwoo shoved his wallet into his back pocket and opened the door, still in a daze, Mingyu followed the sounds of his footsteps.

“So,” Wonwoo began as they started walking. “I hope you realize I know nothing about this town. Lead the way, Mr. Kim.” 

Woah. That title gave Mingyu goosebumps. He said it so effortlessly, without much thought. It had a 50 shades of grey-esque vibe and Mingyu was here for it. Not that he was into that or anything. 

“R-right, so. Do you have a list or something?” Mingyu sped ahead of Wonwoo, so he could lead the way to his favorite stores. 

“Yeah,” Wonwoo fished out a list out of his pocket. “Here,” he said in an unsure tone. Mingyu didn’t know why, but when he got the list, he understood why he was so quiet. 

“Only 3 things?!”

“They’re the essentials, okay?” 

The list literally read: milk, eggs, toilet paper. 

“No, no.” Mingyu shook his head. He may not be the richest college student, but he knew any student needed more than this to function. He grabbed Wonwoo’s hand and ran to the nearest corner store. 

Running while holding someone’s hand was not as romantic as it was in movies. He had to make sure he matched Wonwoo’s pace and wasn’t rushing off. He also had to be aware he didn’t tire Wonwoo out with the sudden sprinting. 
But, it was fun. The slow breeze stung their faces as they ran in the late afternoon. It was alright if it was with Wonwoo, any day.

His hands felt clammy against Wonwoo’s but that was because it was hot out. Right? He stopped at the crosswalk, and Wonwoo panted alongside him.

Wonwoo wiped sweat off his forehead, but Mingyu was paying attention the road so he didn’t notice Wonwoo wasn’t letting go while he was wiping it off.

Frankly, it seemed as if he was enjoying it. Again, Mingyu was focused on their safety so he didn’t notice. If he did see, it’s imaginable he would vouch some weird excuse again. 

When it was free to cross, the duo ran into the store, hands still intertwined. The customers and cashiers around them shot them dirty looks, but continued on their own business. 

Wonwoo put his lips near Mingyu’s ears and whispered, “Don’t you think we should let go?”

Mingyu felt goosebumps again. Whenever he had that deep, husky voice of his, Mingyu felt as if his knees would buckle. But, he let go at once, embarrassed he was still holding on. 

“Anyway, let’s head to the dairy section,” Wonwoo said, oblivious to Mingyu’s face. They loaded their basket with milk and eggs, and Mingyu stopped to pick up shredded cheese. 

“Why?” 

Mingyu examined the label. “There are so many ways to use shredded cheese. If you run out of food you’ve an instant meal.” Mingyu himself knew this wasn’t enough for a meal, but it tasted good and if Wonwoo ate food happily, that’d be enough for him.

They strolled around some more, Mingyu stopping by frequently to add miscellaneous things; so far he had added mixed fruits, chicken, shrimp, rice, onions, and pasta. 

“You do realize I can’t cook, right?” 

, he hadn’t considered that. “It’s fine, I’ll just come over and make sure these are going to waste,” Mingyu coolly bluffed. He also had no clue how to cook. Maybe there’d be some easy recipes out there? 

“Okay, whatever. You’re paying for all this.” Wonwoo warned, arms crossed in front of him. 

“That’s a given,” he hummed in response. Truth is, he didn’t even buy this many groceries for himself. He was probably going to end up broke but it was worth it for Wonwoo (as a friend, he needed a friend in the complex anyway....). 

He finally stopped and picked up a carton of canned beer and was going to put it in the cart before Wonwoo knit his eyebrows. “I don’t drink.” 

“Just put it. I’m buying anyway.”  He just wanted to use it as an excuse to come over whenever he “ran out”. 

As they continued to add their final purchases, Mingyu realized Wonwoo was a fun person to be shopping with. Whenever they randomly stumbled across toys, he’d coo and check out which toys were on display. He loved this soft side he witnessed. 

He made up his mind- he would always go shopping with Wonwoo. Even if it burnt a hole in his pocket, the warmth radiating off Wonwoo in the cool summer evenings was worth the whole world to him.

And he had a feeling inside of him that assured he’d frequently visit the shop with Wonwoo from now on. 

---------------------------------------

Woah! Third chapter is up! Woohoo! This is my first fic so I hope you understand if it ! Next chapter will include Jihoon and Jeonghan,so stay tuned! xoxoxoxxo Mina