Ties That Bind

The Pink Neon

On their way to the train station, a shadowy figure came from their behind and stood before them. It was a man, he was as tall as common basketball players but his body was muscular, Sana was unable to spot any hair on his head and he wore a brown leather jacket but she could spot a scar on his neck although it didn't looks like a tedious scar. His face was pretty grotesque and Sana could see some rotten teeth when she smiled. When Sana looked behind, there were two more shady individuals standing behind them and she knew she would be unable to escape, not this time.

"Which one of you are Minatozaki Sana?" The man asked in deep voice.

Both Sana and Jihyo didn't answer the man and just looked at each other for a few seconds. Sana knew she wouldn't be able to escape from these people no matter what she would do. All she cares at that point was to make sure Jihyo could escape or at least stay unharmed.

"I'll repeat my question, so which one of you are Sana?" The man got impatient.

"It's me," Sana finally answered. Jihyo, who was pretty close to Sana, circled Sana's right arm signaling that she was ready to protect Sana. Sana looked at Jihyo and shook her head, telling that she's fine by herself.

For some reasons, the man started to sighed and smiled as if he was relieved that she found Sana. "I've been looking for you for 3 hours now Ms. Sana," the man offered Sana a handshake with a smile on his face.

"Excuse me?" Jihyo asked the man. Sana was just as confused as Jihyo, she didn't know who these people were. Of course anyone who just saw these people would thought they wanted to do some bad stuff, and it was fully supported by their looks.

"Yeah, our boss Mr. Kim, said that Ms. Sana here paid her debt a little too much. So he sent us to see you and return some of the money," the man explained.

"Aaaaah... so you're Mr. Kim's guy?" Sana tried to be friendly. "Why don't you just wait at my apartment? I'm sure Mr. Kim know my address."

"Oh we waited there for a long time Miss we waited in front of your door for quite some time. You never appeared and your landlord told us that you might be at the theme park so that's why we're here," the man explained.

"Then how do you know my face?" Sana genuinely curious.

"Oh we don't. Y'know, we've been asking almost every girl that matched your description who have been passed this way." the man then frowned.

"Oh really? So you've been asking a lot of people then," Sana laughed and as soon as she laughed, Jihyo hit Sana's arm with her elbow. Jihyo still unable to trust that these people won't bring any harm to them despite their appearance. "Calm down Jihyo, I know their boss," Sana tried to calm Jihyo down.

Mr. Kim was one of the loan shark which the previous owner owned money to. Despite the fact that the previous owner had some debt to Mr. Kim, both of them were pretty close friends. Even when Sana was held responsible for the debt, Mr. Kim told Sana not to pay the debt. Of course, Sana refuse and she insisted that the debt must be paid no matter how. Mr. Kim was always nice to Sana because he knew her since she was just bought from the slave trade by the club's previous owner or Sana's adopted father as she would prefer to address him. Because of Mr. Kim's kindness, Sana deliberately put some extra when she paid her debt to Mr. Kim. And now, Mr. Kim was as kind as usual by telling his men to return the money to Sana because she knew he could be a bit impatient.

"Yeah... We've been so embarrassed that we almost gave up just now. Anyway, here's the money Mr. Kim told us to give you," the man took an envelope out of his pocket and gave it to Sana.

"Ah? No no, it's Mr. Kim's, It's okay he can keep it," Sana refused.

"Please Miss, Mr. Kim will be furious if you don't take the money! We beg you please take it!" The man started to bow.

"Hmmm...." Sana started to think. "How about you guys keep it? For all the troubles you guys experienced today I think you guys deserve it." 

"No! That's even worse Miss! Mr. Kim will be furious even more if he knew we got the money!" The other guy bowed even lower.

"Yeah you're right about that.... It will be unfortunate for you if he's angry... But wait, what if he doesn't know? You guys can just lie to him right?"

"Why don't you just take the money?" Jihyo looked a bit impatient.

"I don't want to, and these guys deserve it more than I do for the troubles they've been through to find me," Sana argued.

"Lying to him? I'll pass, I still wanna live," one of the guys said.

"Alright, here, I got an idea, why don't you take the money first, then split the money into four so each one of you can get it and nobody have to be scared of anyone?!" Jihyo spoke her thought.

"Well, that'll do," Sana grinned at Jihyo. "So give me the money first then I'll split into four, this way, you don't have to lie and get the money fairly."

Sana then took the money out of the envelope, she then counted the money so that she could divide it by three. She gave each person same amount of money and keep the rest inside the envelope. 

"There, now you guys can leave and tell Mr. Kim you've done your job!" Sana sound relieved.

"Thank you Miss Sana! You really are the nicest person in the world!" One of the man thanked Sana and followed by the other two. After thanking Sana, three of them walked on the opposite direction while cheering about the money they just got. 

"So... You really gonna take the rest?" Jihyo asked. "You doesn't seem interested in the money tho."

"Nope, definitely not gonna keep it. I'll give the rest to the orphan house in my area." Sana said while counting the money.

"So.... What was that all about?" Jihyo asked.

Sana told Jihyo about her story. The story on how the debt started and how she got the money from Nayeon but she didn't tell Jihyo about all of her past, just the necessary part that still connected to the debt. 

"So you're a stripper??" Jihyo looked shocked.

"Well, you can say that, I'm also the owner right now although I'm definitely not a very good owner because right now I'm here instead of working," Sana said half jokingly.

"A daughter of billionares and a stripper.... What a couple," Jihyo shook her head while grinning.

"WE'RE NOT COUPLE!" Sana clearly blushed.

"Oh, so you guys are just close friends who kissed each other?" Jihyo teased again.

"Maybe..." Sana unable to answer. "Hey, at least I don't have any 'unfinished business' with my girlfriend" Sana sneered.

"What the.... Did you just..." Jihyo then gave Sana a headlock.

-----------

Nayeon started to open her eyes as the light from the window woke her up. She got her phone almost immediately after she sat on her bed. She was never this excited to look into her phone for years. She unconsciously smiled when she got the text from Sana saying that she would visits her today to check if Nayeon was alright. The incident yesterday might have retraumatized her but at the same day she also got precious memory from Sana. This mixed feelings of her made her quite confused, she still felt the pain in her chest when she remembered the moment she met her ex and she smiled whenever she remembered what Sana did on the ferris wheel. She really expect Sana to be able to make her forget her bad memory about yesterday and that's why she was quickly clean her bed and went to bath and probably she would choose the best outfit for the day in case Sana took her out. Just after she cleaned herself, the bell rang and she quickly dressed herself before opening the door.

"Hi, good morning," Sana said as soon as Nayeon opened the door.

"Good morning," Nayeon smiled but immediately annoyed by her wet hair that kept getting in her way.

"Did I come too early? I apologize," Sana seemed to notice that Nayeon just finished bathing.

"No no it's fine, It's me who woke up too late. Anyway come on in," Nayeon offered Sana to enter.

"Hmm, you haven't changed your television remote?" Sana tried to start a topic.

"No, I haven't got the time to think about it yet," Nayeon took her towel then used it to dry her hair. "You mind waiting for a minute? I need to dry my hair first."

"Sure, but you already looked pretty that way," Sana flirted.

"Thanks," Nayeon blushed and gave Sana a big smile then she entered her room to dry her hair.

Nayeon then dried her hair and combed it before she left the room. She was nervous to see Sana who was just outside her room, waiting for her. She felt so shy that she wanted to stay on her bed and stay under the blanket but at the same time she didn't want Sana to wait any longer. She took a deep breath and walked outside where she saw Sana preparing breakfast for her.

"Oh, I'm so sorry I forgot to ask if I can borrow your plate," Sana said as soon as she noticed Nayeon.

"Don't mind it, just consider this as your own house," Nayeon said while trying to help Sana preparing the food.

They ate their breakfast together at the dining table, both of them sat on the opposite side of each other and while eating, Nayeon really wanted to say something but she saw Sana ate so passionately that she needed to postpone her questions. Nayeon tried to pay the meal because Sana was the one who bought for it and of course Sana rejected and said to treat her next time instead. All Nayeon could do was at least clean the plates and while she was cleaning the plates, Sana sat on the sofa watching the television which Nayeon never turned off for two days because the remote was broken and she was too lazy to turn it off manually. Nayeon sat beside Sana as soon as she finished cleaning the plates. There was only silence between those two more than a minute, Nayeon was too shy to ask the question and this was really unlike her to act this way.

"How do y-"

"Are we d-"

Both of them spoke almost at the same time and laughed since they found it funny.

"You first," Sana said with her remaining laughter.

"I... I just wanna know.... w-what's next for u-us..." Nayeon said with a bit of stuttering.

Sana leaned her head into the right while staring right at Nayeon's eyes. She didn't answer immediately but she seemed a bit eager to know the answer as well.

"Well, what do you think?" Sana said then gave Nayeon a beam.

"After you kissed me... I thought we..." Nayeon tried to look away and ended up staring at the floor.

"What? We what?" Sana said with a teasing tone.

"Nevermind," Nayeon was a bit annoyed by Sana's reaction.

"Hahaha, I'm just joking! Come here," Sana immediately hugged Nayeon.

Nayeon was unable to refuse the hug no matter how hard she tried maybe she realized at this point that Sana's hug was her weakness because she always did it and she was always there accepting her fate.

"You haven't given me the answer," Nayeon said while still hugged by Sana.

"You want the answer?" Sana then released her hug. As soon after she said it, she leaned her head towards Nayeon and ended up filling Nayeon's lips with her's.

"You still not giving me the answer by the way," Nayeon teased after they finished kissing.

"Aigooo, you really like it don't you?"

"Maybe," Nayeon grinned while looking at her left side and looked back at Sana's face.

-----------

It has been few weeks after they started dating, Nayeon felt that she was at the best point of her life. Sana came to Nayeon's place almost every day because apparently she already sold the club and she also made sure that the next owner won't have any debt to any loan shark. Sana was looking for a new job and Nayeon was trying to help her in any way she could. Although Sana still had some money that was given by Nayeon, she still wanted to make her own money and stop counting on Nayeon for her financials. The last option Nayeon could think of was to ask her brother for a favor, she knew her brother would be able to make sure Sana got a job in the company but Sana kept refusing it as she thought she already asked too much from Nayeon's brother. Although in the end, Sana agreed to ask for the help from Nayeon's brother because she found it difficult to find a job with a lack of educational background. Nayeon's brother agreed to help Sana with one condition, and the condition was to introduce Sana properly to him through a dinner. Nayeon didn't have any problem with it and agreed immediately although Sana was a bit reluctant at first. Sana was taken aback by the restaurant chosen for dinner by Nayeon's brother and of course, Nayeon knew that he would pick that kind of place for dinner.

"Tell me if you're ready!" Nayeon shouted from outside Sana's room.

"O-Okay! Just bear in mind that this is the first time I'm wearing it so don't laugh!" Sana replied.

Once Sana opened the door, Nayeon took a look at Sana and the scenery was so breathtaking for her that her jaw dropped without her even realizing it. Sana was wearing a black dress with some shiny glitter all around the dress, her shoulder was exposed, so did the upper part of her back. Her black long straight hair fell perfectly below her shoulder.

"H-How do I look?" Sana said while tucked her hair behind her right ears.

"Y-Y-" Nayeon then took a big gulp before she continued speaking. "You look gorgeous babe," she finally able to speak.

"Don't lie to me!" Sana still looked so nervous.

"Why would I?" Nayeon chuckled a little. "Hey, why don't you tie your hair? I'm sure you'll look prettier that way," Nayeon suggested.

"No, I think I'll prefer this way," Sana refused.

"Nevermind that, you'll look pretty either way, let's go," Nayeon offered Sana her hand.

"Thank you... You look beautiful as well," Sana then held Nayeon's hand.

Both of them proceeded into the car that was waiting for them downstairs. The car itself wasn't that big but it was surely comfortable and luxurious. Sana and Nayeon sat on the back side of the car while the driver was in front of them. The driver greeted them as soon as they entered the car and Nayeon could see Sana was a bit blushed when greeted by the driver as it was her first time on a car with a personal driver even though it wasn't her own. On their way, they were talking about a lot of things but mainly they were talking about the food on the restaurant. The driver seemed to be a bit surprised to see Nayeon talked a lot inside the car because it was very unusual for her to talk that much especially when someone's around. After about fifteen minutes, they finally arrived at the restaurant and one of the restaurant employee opened the car door while greeting them both. Before both of them went outside the car, the driver said something to Nayeon, "Glad to see you like this Ma'am, I hope both of you'll have a nice day ahead." Nayeon thanked the driver and went outside the car. Nayeon and Sana was holding hands when they were entering the restaurant. Nayeon could hear a vague jazz music coming out from inside the restaurant as they approached the restaurant door and the music became clearer once they entered the restaurant. The door opener said that they looked like a perfect couple and as soon as they entered the restaurant, the host greeted them and he seemed to recognized Nayeon because she went to the restaurant couple of times before. He immediately directed both of them to where Nayeon's brother sat. Nayeon could see her brother from the distance, he seemed to be on a call with someone but he suddenly hang up as soon as she saw Nayeon went into his direction and smiled at both of them.

"Aaayyy whaddup sis?" He hugged Nayeon once she was on his range.

"Nothing much, you?" Nayeon answered.

"Definitely good, been waiting for ages to see you both," her brother released the hug. "Ooh Sana, nice to finally able to meet you! So this is the person who makes my sister happy huh? No wonder," he said jokingly.

"Oppa, please stop the cringe...," Nayeon said before letting Sana said anything.

"It's nice to meet you too oppa!" Sana finally greeted him back.

"Alright, enough of the introduction now please sit down," he said while pointing to the table.

The table was quite small because there were only three of them, but the table was quite fancy in its own way as the restaurant itself was known as one of the top restaurant in the city. It only took less than two minutes for Nayeon and her brother to order the appetizer, main dish, and the dessert but not for Sana, she was worrying a lot about the price and she was unfamiliar with the menu. Seeing her girlfriend struggling, Nayeon took the initaitive to order the best food she could think of for Sana. 

"You don't need to worry about the cost, It's my treat," Nayeon's brother seemed to notice that Sana was reluctant about the food.

"O-Okay," Sana said after Nayeon finished ordering for her.

"Excuse me, would you like to try our special branded wine?" One of the waiter offered them.

"Sure thing," Nayeon's brother answered.

The waiter poured the wine into their glasses carefully and it only filled a quarter portion of the glass. Nayeon's brother smelt the wine before he drank it and Nayeon was also doing the same as she was quite familiar with it. Unlike them, Sana just gulped the whole wine in her glass and she then made a weird expression on her face as if she just drank something sour. Nayeon's brother couldn't keet his expression straight and laughed at Sana immediately.

"Your girlfriend is funny," he said as he laughed.

Nayeon didn't answer and just gave her brother the stare she always gave when she was annoyed.

Nayeon's brother then stopped laughing, cleared his throat and said "Sorry," as if he immediately understood what Nayeon meant.

"Are you okay?" Nayeon asked Sana.

"I'm fine, my throat is just a bit hot right now, I think I might need a glass of water," Sana answered.

Nayeon then asked a waiter for a glass of water and coincidentally, the appetizer arrived along with the mineral water Nayeon asked earlier. All of them then ate their first food of the dinner while having a light chat between the three of them. Nayeon's brother asked Sana about her origin and her life before she met Nayeon, Sana answered every question honestly as she wanted to build trust between them. Nayeon knew that Sana enjoyed the meal thoroughly, however, unfortunate for Sana, she spilled a little bit of her food into her dress, making the black dress she wore mixed with a little redish stain from the sauce. Before she went into the toilet to clean her dress, Sana finished the meal first.

"Let me accompany you," Nayeon offered.

"No no it's fine, I can take care of this myself," Sana said while leaving the table for the toilet.

When Nayeon saw Sana entered the toilet, her brother suddenly spoke, "Quite a girlfriend that girl huh?"

"I know right," Nayeon beamed while still looking at the toilet door.

"I'm glad that you're happy, that's all that matters for me now," he said while sipping his wine.

"Thank you oppa," Nayeon paused. "For everything you've done for me," she continued.

"Nah, don't mention it, I've never always become a good brother for you, now I just want you to know that I can at least try."

"You've tried hard enough..... I'm sorry I acted so rudely towards you this whole time," Nayeon apologized.

"That's okay, I understand that you only tried to protect yourself."

"Thank you for letting me date her."

"What do you mean? You don't need my permission for that," he started to lean his body forward a bit.

"I do, after all, you are the only family I have, if you don't agree I might just... you know.." Nayeon hesitated.

"Hahahaha, why would I disagree if she made you so happy? I haven't seen you like this for years now, and I'm not that idiot to prevent my own sister to be happy again," he clapped his hand while laughing for some reason.

"Shhh! Don't talk so loud" Nayeon gripped her brother's arm.

"Geez, okay okay, chill, I'm just teasing you," her brother then pinched Nayeon's right cheek. "Oh look! The main dish is coming," her brother said while looking at the waiter who walked towards them.

The waiter served the main dish before them and no matter how many times Nayeon's been here, she always wanted to take a photo of the main dish because it was decorated so beautifully that she felt guilty she ate it. Both of them awaited for Sana before they started eating, Sana herself just arrived at the table few minutes after the dish was served and Nayeon didn't even notice her coming out from the toilet. Took them about twelve minutes until they finished their main dish, they were not talking while eating because they were enjoying the dish very thoroughly that they didn't have any desire to talk to each other on that particular moment. After they stomachs were filled, the dessert was the only dish left for them to enjoy.

Three of them was having a little talk before suddenly Nayeon noticed that his brother's face became so pale.

"Oppa? You okay?" Nayeon shook her brother's arm.

Her brother didn't answered her and he started to close his eyes then opened it again until Nayeon finally realized that he started to lose consciousness. Unable to hold her brother's weight with one hand, Nayeon's brother fell to his left side, and the whole restaurant was suddenly in chaos once Nayeon started screaming.

"NO NO NO NO!! NOT LIKE THIS, PLEASE WAKE UP, OPPA, PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS JUST ONE OF YOUR UNFUNNY JOKES," Nayeon shook her brother's body. But it was all in vain as her brother remained unconscious and to make things even worse, Nayeon saw white and yellowish bubbles came out from his mouth.