Chapter 1

Magical Mayhem

In just about every culture in the world, the concept of a mage can be found in myths, legends, and all forms of entertainment. Sometimes they will have different names, witch, wizard, warlock, spellcaster, shaman, witch doctor, and so on, but they all follow the same idea, a person who can use magic of some sort. Find a book, game, movie, or show on tv that is considered fantasy and one is likely to find a mage character. But that’s it, mages can only be found in the fantasy or myth section. Believed to be fake and part of human’s dreams of doing more than they will ever be capable of. In the modern day, people who claim to have magical abilities like magicians, psychics, oracles are called fakes, just using tricks to fool people into believe they have special power. Everything else is considered a fairytale.

But is this all really true?

Can all these cultures just imagine the same group of people when the spread of cultures was not on the same global stage as it is today?

The truth is, mages have always existed. For centuries, mages were revered, given positions of power, and a mage being born in a family without a known mage lineage was considered a blessing.

Then somewhere in history, the idea of magic being a curse grew and spread and suddenly anyone with magic abilities were considered evil. Witch hunts and other similar events began to happen, killing mages and innocent humans alike. Mages went into hiding, creating their own secluded communities away from the eyes of other humans. Those now unfortunate to be born with magic in non-mage families were often killed though some managed to survive quietly never letting anyone know of their abilities. With magic no longer used in the presence of those without magic, the reality of mages faded into myths and fantasy.

 

~

 

“Ah Ryeowook, business seems well today,” a man said, walking into the small bookstore. A couple of people were browsing the shelves straight in from the front door, while another sat at one of the two tables in their café area to the left, and Ryeowook was checking out the last customer at the register at the counter just beyond the café.

“Yeah, it’s pretty good today,” Ryeowook answered when he finished with his customer. “What are you in for today, Jungsu?”

“Well first, what do you have on today’s café menu?”

“First, It’s not a café. Second, I made some sandwiches and Taekwoon and I made some personal sized strawberry cheesecakes,” Ryeowook answered.

“Of course, it’s not.” Jungsu smiled as he agreed, not wanting to make Ryeowook mad. “I’ll take one of the cheesecakes, please. Is Jongwoon or Heechul in right now?”

“Jongwoon is in the basement with Taekwoon and Heechul should be in the loft. You can go on up, if he isn’t there, I’ll find him for you,” Ryeowook said as he rang Jungsu up for the cheesecake.

“Thanks Wookie.” Jungsu left him and headed back to the main area of the bookstore. And the end of the two main rows of shelves, on the back wall between two more shelving units is a set of stairs that lead first to a landing then up to the left to a loft above the café part of the store. In the loft, there were a couple sets of tables and chairs, a desk on the far wall, and a couple more bookshelves, but otherwise the loft was covered in boxes full of books. Heechul sat at the desk, sorting through a group of boxes.

“Hey Heechul.” Heechul looked up and back towards the stairs when he heard Jungsu.

“Hi Jungsu.”

“You busy? I can come back later if you need me to.”

“Oh, no, it’s alright. Just sorting through a shipment that came in this afternoon. Should have a few special orders in here that I need to confirm and call, but I can step away for a bit. I can always make Jongwoon do it,” Heechul said, setting the papers on the desk and standing up.

“Punishment for leaving you to do paperwork while he works with your apprentices,” Jungsu asked as they headed back down.

“They are both Jongwoon’s. So, he should be the one to take care of their training. I’m not apart of any of it.”

“Are you denying Taekwoon and I again,” Ryeowook asked as they walked past him at the register counter.

“He sure is,” Jungsu answered for Heechul. The response earned the two of them some annoyed muttering from Heechul, but they laughed it off.

“We’ll be in here, so knock if you need anything,” Heechul final said to Ryeowook, opening the door just

past Ryeowook’s counter and ushering Jungsu in.

Inside was a whole different shop to the one most people saw. In a room that linked the bookstore to the attached apartment and was most likely used as the storage room for whatever shop occupied the space before them, sat a magic shop. It contained properly sourced potion ingredients, potions, magical items, books, and supplies. They also had a small workstation in case a client needed a specific potion made up on the spot.

“What are you in for this time, Jungsu?”

“A little of the usual. I’m low on my herb supplies. Also, could use a few different books for my sister,” Jungsu said taking out a slip of paper and handing it over to Heechul. Heechul studied the list for a moment before handing the paper back.

“I should have the first two on the list on the shelf over there,” Heechul pointed to one of the bookshelves. “If I have the third it’s in the case a little further down. The last one I don’t have. I can see about getting it though. But you look for those and I’ll get your herbs ready. Just the usual or need something different today?”

“No, the usual is fine. Do you really have everything in here memorized,” Jungsu asked as he began his search for the three books.

“Yes. Can’t run the place if I don’t.”

“Still, it’s rather impressive.”

Heechul just ignored Jungsu's last comment instead focusing on gathering, cutting, and weighing out the herbs so he could package them up.  Once finished, Heechul placed a small cube in the corner of each container and sealed the lid on with a small amount of magic. When they were all sealed, Heechul tied them together so Jungsu could carry them easily. Jungsu was still searching the second case for the last book when Heechul turned back towards him.

“Not finding it,” Heechul asked.

“No. I was going back through again in case I looked over it but I’m still not seeing it. I found the other two very quickly,” Jungsu said.

“I might not have it. I wasn't sure. I’ll take a look for it later and if I don’t have it, I’ll find a copy. And I’ll need to look into getting the last book on her list too, so I’ll call you in a couple days and let you know.”

“Thanks, Chul, I’ll tell her, but she should be good with these ones for now.” Jungsu paid for his stuff and let himself out the door, saying goodbye to Ryeowook on his way out. Heechul stayed for a moment longer, cleaning up the counter and putting away the remaining herbs.

Heading back to the bookstore, Heechul was mildly shocked to find Taekwoon ringing out a customer instead of Ryeowook, who was at the café counter.

“When did you and Jongwoon finish?”

“A few minutes ago. I went upstairs to change so came in through the door up there. I saw Jungsu leaving on my way down.”

“Yeah, he was just getting his usual order. Where's Jongwoon?”

“He took the dogs out. Heebum is sitting in the loft now,” Taekwoon explained.

“Okay, send him up to me when he gets back, will you,” Heechul asked. Taekwoon nodded and Ryeowook gave a thumbs up to show he was listening too. With both confirmations, he headed back to the loft to continue sorting through the new shipment, after taking a moment to give his cat, Heebum some attention who had taken a spot in a chair in front of the windows.

Some time later, Heechul could hear the distinct pitter-patter of the dogs walking around on the hardwood floors and not a moment later, he had one of the dogs pacing around his chair and nudging his legs.

“Hello Kkoming,” Heechul greeted, turning in his chair to give Kkoming his full attention, full of plenty of pets and head scratches. “How do you still have this much energy after taking a walk?”

“They both probably slept a lot of the day since they were in the apartment basically by themselves,” Jongwoon said, coming up the stairs. “So, when did the shipment show up?”

“About ten minutes after you and Taekwoon went down for his lesson. Got a couple new titles we were expecting, and we got all the special orders that we were supposed to, even one that’s earlier than was estimated. I have them all separated and marked, just need to call the customers.”

“That’s good. I can call them in a little while then. I assume that isn’t what you wanted to talk to me about though.”

“No. Jungsu stopped in, got his usual, but his sister sent him a list of books to get. We had two of them, I thought we might have had the third, but we have to see if we can hunt down the last.” Heechul sliding a paper, where he rewrote Jungsu's list, over on the desk so Jongwoon could see it.

“We don’t have that one,” Jongwoon asked, pointing to the same book on the list Heechul had questioned earlier.

“I thought we did, but Jungsu couldn’t find it while I was preparing the herbs. I haven’t looked for myself yet.”

“Maybe it got moved. We did have a couple people yesterday who were browsing the books in there, maybe one of them looked at it and put it back in the wrong spot."

“That’s possible. Since otherwise we would need to contact the archives to make a few new copies for us.”

“While I don’t think they do, we should see if the archives has that last one. Though if they don't, you know we will have to have a copy made for them.”

“Can't we just not tell them about that one and see if another shop has it? It's not like we are the only ones in the whole country,” Heechul suggested.

“If you want to go that route first, go ahead. See if Hangeng and Kibum are able to check. When are they due back in town anyways?”

“Next week sometime. Hangeng said they got some interesting items for us. He wouldn’t give me anymore details than that but said Kibum would have them recorded and the data sent to us before they arrived.”

“Did he tell you that in your nightly phone calls? If so, why didn’t you tell me until now?”

“For your information, we didn’t talk last night,” Heechul corrected Jongwoon. “He called me this morning.”

“Wow, you guys went a whole day without actually hearing the other one’s voice,” Jongwoon teased.

“So, what,” Heechul asked, raising his voice some. “I can go plenty long without hearing his voice. We just talk every day because he misses hearing mine. And he should. My voice is great, and he is lucky enough to hear it so often.”

“Sometimes I wish I heard it less,” Jongwoon muttered, turning away from Heechul in hopes that he wouldn’t hear.

“What?”

“I said I’ll text him that. Let him know how you really feel.” Jongwoon turned back raising his own voice.

“Good, he’s been getting a little too chummy lately.”

“I’ll tell him that too,” Jongwoon said, watching as Heechul pulled out his phone. “And don’t be texting him to ignore everything I say.”

“I’m not. I was going to text him about the job. He’s got to earn his keep around here too.”

“He doesn’t live here,” Jongwoon stated.

“Actually, he kind of does,” Ryeowook shouted up from the ground floor. “Just because he has his own place doesn’t mean he doesn’t sleep here more than there. Also, why are you two fighting via Hangeng? You’re shouting loud enough for us to hear you down here.”

Jongwoon and Heechul walked over to the railing and peered over to see Ryeowook standing in the rows of bookshelves staring up at them with Taekwoon standing right behind him.

“You know, it’s kind of funny when they stand like that,” Jongwoon said quietly to Heechul. “Ryeowook is so small yet very outspoken, but Taekwoon is like a head taller than him yet so quiet.”

“Ryeowook looks like he would be the younger between them. It’s like they’re from a cartoon or anime,” Heechul added, the two quietly laughing about their own observations.

“Hey! What are you laughing at,” Ryeowook asked, annoyed.

“Nothing. Nothing at all,” Heechul said.

“It better be nothing. Now stop disturbing the customers.”

“Hey, who made you the boss? We sure didn’t.”

“If you want to be the boss then work instead of arguing.” Ryeowook walked away before Heechul or Jongwoon could retaliate and Taekwoon just shrugged his shoulders and went back to working.

“Ah, that kid. Should have more manners to his bosses and elders.”

“Were we that loud and annoying,” Jongwoon questioned instead. “He only gets like that when he is mad and worked up.”

“Who knows. Some days I think he just has a short fuse,” Heechul said heading back to the desk.

“Anyways. Text Hangeng to look for the book. I’ll go see if the other one is hiding in the shop. Maybe do a little more research online.”

“Sure, sure. Don’t forget to call the customers about the special orders that came in.”

“I won’t.” Heechul rolled his eyes knowing that Jongwoon will indeed forget and so made a list of the customers and their phone numbers and asked Taekwoon to pass it on to Jongwoon a little later.

 

Later in the evening, Taekwoon and Ryeowook were cleaning up the store and closing out the register for the night. Ryeowook was gathering the remaining snacks from the display onto one tray to take back into the apartment kitchen, when he was startled by a large flash of lightening that almost caused him to drop the tray.

“Was it supposed to storm tonight?” Ryeowook looked back at Taekwoon who was also staring curiously out the window.

“I’m not sure,” he answered just as the thunder sounded.

“It was a clear sky not that long ago I swear,” Ryeowook said. He set the tray of food on top of the display case and went right up to the window, trying to look at the sky past the awning that lined their store.

“There was a sudden rain shower this morning too.”

“That’s weird. But you’re right, there was.”

“It couldn’t have been cause by someone, could it,” Taekwoon asked after walking around the counter to where Ryeowook was so they both could look out the window. Ryeowook looked over at him after his question.

“Like a mage?” Taekwoon nodded. “No. Never. Jongwoon hasn’t explained that to you yet?” Again, Taekwoon just answered with a shake of his head. “I guess it doesn’t matter when you get your powers, everyone always wants to know if we can control the weather. I asked my mom the same question when I was a kid. Our powers are not capable of that, at least not on a large scale. While we can create some weather fields on a small scale, like to water a plant bed, or give it some sunlight when it’s been cloudy for days, we can’t create a full thunderstorm across the whole town. The most a very powerful mage can do is encourage clouds already heavy with rain, to drop sooner, or maybe cover a block of the street in fog. But nothing like this. Mother nature refuses to allow anyone else control. At least that’s what my mom told me. My previous master also said something similar when I asked him a few years later.”

“Ah. There just seems to be something strange about it. But I’m not sure what.”

“I think we just need to check the weather more frequently. It’s really coming down though,” Ryeowook said, looking back out the window to the sheets of rain coming down, already creating massive puddles on both the street and sidewalk. “I really hope no one is stuck out in this. Most of the other shops in the strip close around this time too, don’t they?”

“Yeah. The bar a few doors down stays open.”

“Well I hope most of the workers closing tonight are like us and live in the apartment attached to the shop. Or they can stay until the weather lightens up.”

“Hopefully,” Taekwoon agreed.

“We should get back to work. Are you finished with the register,” Ryeowook asked, turning away from the window completely. Taekwoon nodded again. “Good. Could you take the food back to the kitchen? I’ll gather the other dishes and clean out the display case.”

“Alright. I’ll come back for the dishes in a moment. Is Heebum in the apartment?”

“Yeah. Heechul took him in about an hour ago.”

Once his question was answered, Taekwoon picked up the tray from on top of the display case and headed to the apartment via the magic shop. Ryeowook gathered the remaining dishes and placed them on the counter near the register so that Taekwoon could easily grab them when he returned. Ryeowook also grabbed the cleaners from the cabinets underneath so he could get to cleaning. When Taekwoon took the dishes back to wash them, Ryeowook was left alone to finish the cleaning in the bookstore.

Just when he was nearly finished, he heard the front door open and the sound of the rain increased immensely. Ryeowook began to speak before he even bothered to turn around and see who was coming in.

“I’m sorry, we’re closed for the…” Ryeowook stopped speaking once he got a good look at the person. He was a young man, right around Ryeowook’s age, completely drenched, and looking entirely drained and defeated.

“Please.” The man started to speak, voice rough and faint as he held onto the window frame for support. “I need to find the mage Yesung.”

 

 

~

A/N: New story time.

This has become a bit of a group project on twitter, but I'm still the one writing it all. SO I know at least one person has been impatiently waiting.
I already have ideas for the second chapter, but I am not going to give any indication for when it will be up. Because I don't want to be wrong.

Also, if you were not aware. Taekwoon is Leo from Vixx. There will be a couple members from Vixx showing up, but Taekwoon is the closest to a main character. So I didn't tag Vixx since it's still 99% Super Junior.