Four cups of coffee

Coffee Shop Boy (not complete)

The next morning I arrive to the coffee shop as soon as they open. I’m determined to stay in here until they close. I really hope he shows up today before I have to leave tomorrow morning for California. I spent the whole year looking forward to this summer trip to see Hana but now I wish I could postpone it. I wish I didn’t have to leave New York. I wish I didn’t have to leave this coffee shop. At least not until I found coffee shop boy again. I’m afraid that if I leave for the whole summer I might miss my opportunity at love. Josh and the other baristas have no problem with me staying in the coffee shop the whole day. On the contrary, they’re rooting for us to finally meet. They said that they noticed the way both of us would steal glances at each other, and that they even made bets with one another on who would break the ice first. It’s still so baffling to me how naïve I was. Everyone around me could see that we liked each other but I was never able to see beyond a one-sided love.

I stare at the clock behind the register it’s two minutes before closing and still no sign of coffee shop boy. Susie, the closing manager, pats my shoulder in a consoling way. “Maybe he’ll show up tomorrow.” She says sweetly. I feel the tears well up in my eyes and my throat begins to contract, “I leave for California tomorrow morning.” Before I know it the tears are racing down my cheeks and down my neck. My tense shoulders fall in defeat and I rest my head on the table. “Perhaps we were destined to be star-crossed lovers.” I sigh. Since Susie lives in the same dorm as me she walks with me back to our dormitory. The way back to our dorm I look up at the airplanes in the sky. Tomorrow morning that will be me up there, leaving New York for the whole summer. Three whole months without seeing coffee shop boy. By the time I come back, he’ll probably be completely over me. Soon I’ll just be a memory in the back of his head. I hope that if we weren’t destined to cross paths then I hope at least this trip helps me get over him.