Tre| Wonders in Librettos

Midnight at the Orchard

IM JAEBUM
||CHAPTER THREE||
'Wonders in Librettos'

Running around, laughing, yelling, and screaming. Barefoot and dirt on my face. That's how I was every summer at my grandmother's. I made many friends there and everyone knew me. But none of it mattered since I had fallen in love there. All I wanted was to be with my first love. This place has beautiful yet sorrowful memories.

 

The walk down the beautiful, nature-filled path was the most relaxing walk I have been in for years. There were soft whistling of the bird and quiet shutters of leaves hitting against one another due to the calming, cooling breeze. The nostalgia from walking down this past hit me. Memories of me smiling and laughing walking to get the town and memories of me screaming and crying for when my parents were dragging me out of town. I laughed to myself, reminiscing about my precious childhood memories. Sadly the year I turned twelve was the last year of my parents allowing me to go to my grandmother's villa.

Once I got out of the path I found myself in the marketplace of the town. Children running around, vendors yelling, people conversing. The whole area had a positive aura to it. Peaceful and fun. Everyone seemed to know everyone, for it's a small community.

I walked down the path, a few eyes staring at me and other just glancing at me than going on with their day. I continued to walk trying to find someone who wasn't busy to ask for directions to my grandmother's old orchard. I got tired and sat down on a bench that was nearby, where an old woman and a small child sat talking and enjoying their different flavored ice cream. I nodded and bowed to the old woman and the younger boy, they did the same then went on with their conversation as I just sat there. I didn't think anyone would recognize me from my youth or connect the dots that I was related to my late grandmother, who was very popular wherever she went until a middle-aged man approached me and tapped my shoulder.

"Excuse me young man but by any chance are you Im Suk-Ja's grandson Im Jaebum?" The mention of my grandmother's name shot a whole chill down my spine. "Yes I am... and who are you?" I asked, feeling a bit cautious as I remembered that the lawyer said some people would attempt to scam me. "Oh, that's great! I am Choi Wooseok, the head butler at Miss Im Suk-ja's villa. I was informed by the lawyer your arrival date," I nodded cautiously, not sure if I can trust this man.

"Just follow me, I swear on my life that I am not trying to pull anything on you. Now this way," He began to walk, I made the rash decision and followed Mr. Choi, dragging my suitcase behind me with my backpack slung over one shoulder.

As we walked through the market stalls, every now and then Mr. Choi would say hi or chit chat with some people. Quickly introducing me to everyone, which meant I got a lot of sorries and 'You're Grandmother gave life to this town' type of stuff. Many saying that they hoped that I would keep the villa as it was such a beautiful place. I just replied with a smile and nod, unsure of how I should genuinely answer.

Finally leaving the busy yet lively market plaza we entered the area of small apartment buildings and small stores that were probably owned by the same family for decades. We passed two different styles of bakeries, many small family restaurants, a few bars, small stores(some being stores you'll see anywhere other being unique family owned). My personal favorite store had to be the one with the name *Gli Astro. It somehow sounded enchanting, and the phrase on the window said 'Unique clothing as the sun and moon'. I was oddly drawn to it and made a mental note to visit this boutique later on in my visit.

The silence was everything between Mr. Choi and I. No one spoke but it wasn't an awkward silence that filled the air more like a calm but sad silence. I just simply took in the scenery and the peacefulness of the quiet atmosphere, until that was ruined by a voice. "Mr. Im, do you mind if we stop at the bookstore?"

"No go ahead, maybe I can rest since my bags are a bit heavy. Is there any specific reason to stop?" He nodded, "I'm getting my son a birthday present since he loves reading and music I planned to get him a book about music theory and a book filled with sheet music of many musicians," A smile crept onto my face as we continued to walk. Not long after stopping at a corner bookstore which had a sign saying "Wonders in Librettos".  We both entered Mr. Choi greeting the owner and introducing us.

"Suk-ja spent a lot of her time here in this bookstore, always finding something new and interesting to read about. She spoke many lovely things about her city boy grandson," The store owner Jin-ho(the name that he told me to call him by) said as Mr. Choi went to the music section of the bookstore. "Wow, I still can't believe our little Jaebum, the small scrawny boy is so tall and lean. You must have all the ladies after you, huh? A shame that your father and mother disowned y-"

"Yes I did grow up Jin-ho, but you have no right to talk about my personal family affairs. Especially when they are dead," Jin-ho stayed quiet, I started remembering him from my youth and he was very rude and unbearable for me to handle in the past, "Now for the ladies. I don't want to sound cocky nor do I want to lie, but yes they do chase after me. Sadly I bear no attention towards them as I am interested in men," I said coldly seeing as Jin-ho, yes an elder who I should respect and who I should fear, quiver under my cold gaze.

"Now I take that you understand why my father and mother disowned me. Also, I don't want to be an enemy here Jin-ho, but please show me some respect, as I will return the favor," I gave him a smile and he relaxed, "Yes, indeed. Please forgive my rudeness, but don't think I'll have something against you as one of the young males here in town that we all care for had come out as gay five years ago," Right before I could ask Jin-ho about this male, since I had a sliver of hope that it could possibly be my childhood best friend and my first love, a male voice spoke.

"Jin-ho Uncle, when will the shipment of the new CD's and music come in?" I turned around making brief eye contact with a beautiful male until he went back to speaking with Jin-ho. I couldn't help but stare. Starstruck at his beauty.

Black hair parted in the right to give him some side bangs, pale skin, brown piercing eyes, a pouty lip when he wore a standard emotionless face, and possibly the best part a small mole under his right eye. I was in complete awe that before I could hear his name Mr. Choi's voice cut in. "Alrighty, Jin-ho I have what I need. What damage will it do to my bank account?"

"Ah.. not much Wooseok, more like twenty dollars for both instead of each," Mr. Choi smile then turned to me, "let's go, Mr. Im," I nodded hesitantly, slowly walking out hearing a small bit of the conversation, "I see you're back for the summer? Are you planning on helping your mom at her store," I managed to hear from outside, which allowed me to receive a small piece of information on the mystery male?  Luck was on my side as we didn't make it in time to cross before all the cars started to drive. Giving me more time to listen in on the conversation.

"Yeah, I always do. So did the new CD's arrive? Are there any Im Jaebum ones?" Laughter rang out of the store. My curiosity peaked more at the mention that this mystery male enjoyed my music, "Oh yes, I have them right here. By the way, Jae, Did you know that Im Jaebum was back in town?" I frowned at the mention of my name, confused. "No, but now I wish I didn't," the mystery male, who Jin-ho referred to as Jae said.

"C'mon Jae, do you hate him that much? You listen to all his music but hate him" Jin-ho asked, "Yeah I do, his music is really good but I hate him. He's a worthless piece of trash th-"

"Mr. Im let's go before the other rush of cars come by. I promise that this is the only main street since it's connected to many other bigger cities and towns," I nodded, sadden that 'Jae' thought so poorly of me. As much as I disliked his opinion on me I shrugged it off and just wanted to go to the villa. Maybe seeing something that I love and cherish as a child would put me in a better mood.

We walked for what seemed like ages and it was now around seven at night when we arrived at the villa. I smiled seeing the beautiful and healthy plants and orchards. We then entered through the gates and walked to the front door of the mansion. Once Mr. Choi opened the door there where two people standing there. A middle-aged woman who still had a spark of life in her brown eyes, shoulder-length brown hair, pale white skin, and a small but not delicate frame. Then there was a young boy not much older than possibly fifteen or sixteen, with dark brown hair, light skin with pink undertones, a bright smile, and brown eyes.

"Alright guys introduce yourself," Mr. Choi said nudging me to walk more inside. Then taking my stuff away from me.

"Hello there Jaebum. I don't know if you remember me but I am Sumi Park. Head chef of the entire villa but I always work at a high-class restaurant nearby. I live here since your grandmother treated me like a daughter, I am fifty-six years old," The middle-aged women told me. I nodded and shifted my gaze to the young boy.

"I am Kim Samuel, my adopted father is Mr. Choi. Well, in reality, he's my uncle but took custody of me after both of my parents went missing. I am sixteen years old. I like music, dancing, and reading. And you are my idol Mr. Im," The boy said ending it with a bright smile. I was taken aback by all the information he gave me so easily. "Aish, Sam. Don't scare the guest. Now I'm sure Mr. Im is tired. I need to go prepare some things for tomorrow. Please show Mr. Im to his room,"

"Yes sir, follow me, Mr. Im," I didn't like being called Mr. Im but I thought to let it slide for a while. But now it really made me feel like I was at work. "Look you all can call me Jaebum, and Samuel can just call me Jaebum-hyung or JB-hyung. How does that sound?"

"If it makes you feel comfortable then I don't mind," Mr. Choi said nodding towards Samuel and Sumi. "Okay then it's settled, Jaebum from now on,"

"Okay, okay. Now off to bed you two, I have work to get done, therefore I'm dead- tired right now, and I swear Wooseok if you scold me for cursing then you can just go su-" Sumi muttered tiredly. "Don't worry Sumi I won't now go to sleep, your grumpy is showing," Mr. Choi said calmly with hints of teasing the chef.

"Don't worry they're always like that, now to your room. It's your grandmother's room which is the attic room. Since I have your old room. You're okay with that right?" Samuel asked. "Of course that room doesn't fit me anymore. I have no problem with my grandmother's room since I fairly enjoyed being there as a kid. Now show me the way kid," he smiled brightly then walked down the hall to a staircase which leads to the second floor, then down another hall to a door. Behind the door was a small staircase that leads to the attic. The best room in the house in my opinion.

"Here it is, I hope you like it. I will now head to my room, good night Jaebum-hyung," I smiled and waved at the young boy as he went back down the stair and closed the door at the bottom of the small staircase. I took this time to change into something comfortable. After that I flopped onto the best, somewhat expecting dust to fly into the air after I flopped onto the bed. but it didn't happen meaning that the people who cleaned cared for my grandmother's things. I smiled and got into a more comfortable position. looking up as there was the window in the roof, allowing me to see the many stars in the dark night.

I don't remember when I fell asleep but what I do know is that I had another dream with my first love. when we would go into the orchard and lie down on a blanket and just look at the many bright stars that sparkled in the dark, clear summer sky.

 

A/N: I hope you liked it. This chapter was officially completed at 12:36 am PST with 2,220 words. Therefore I hope you genuinely liked this chapter. And I'm sorry that the story is a slow pace. Please comment and be open about your opinions. I've very open-minded. With that, I have to thank the people who enjoy reading this. Thank you. <3
-Chii(06/14/18)

*Gli Astro, Noun: Star, Celestial Body

Celestial Body: Is any natural body outside of the Earth's atmosphere.
Example: The Moon, Sun, and other planets of our solar system.