Uno| Proud to be a Dreamer

Midnight at the Orchard

IM JAEBUM
||CHAPTER ONE|| 
'Proud to be a dreamer'

From an early age, I knew I would have a very rich inheritance. 'Runaway to the country when you want an escape' is what my grandmother would tell me as a child, 'I own a villa there. You'll inherit the place for sure' Is what she told me as my head rested on her lap and she combed her hands through my hair. I was the only grandson my grandmother had and she surely loved me more than my sisters and cousins. I always thought it was because I was the only male.

"Mr. Im, here's your suit for tonight's dinner party at the Min's. Since I was already at your place I decided to grab your mail. By the way, there's an invitation from Mr. Wang," I looked up from my work, "What for?" my assistant answered, with a sour tone, "What would I know, It's for you,"

"Watch it Kim Yugyeom, I can fire you," He laughed, "Fine Mr. Im, but please do read it. It can be important," With that my sassy assistant left my office. I sighed and inspected the white envelope. I opened the envelope to discover a white and gold card that said in very beautiful golden writing, To Im Jaebum. I opened the card to reveal golden words saying You are invited to Jackson Wang's and Mark Tuan's wedding. The wedding will be held at the at the Wang's home; On September 28th. Hope you will be able to attend. The wedding wasn't for four months, but knowing how uptight Mark is I'm sure they did this so everyone can keep that date open. I smiled, "finally, these two idiots are getting married. It's about time they do" I set the invitation aside, making a mental note to call Jackson later to tell him that I would be attending. I then I continued to look through the rest of my mail.

Bills, bills, coupons for ice cream and other goods(which I will save for later), and a letter. I opened the envelope then opened the letter inside.

Dear Jaebummie.

If you have received this then that means I have passed. Do know that I love you my only and dearest grandson. Don't regret any of your decisions, I am not like your parents who turned away from you after not taking over the company and for telling them your deepest secret. And to prove that I have left all my money to you and the villa you became so fond of.
Meet with my lawyer who will contact you soon after you receive this letter. Then choose what you will do with the place. Be it that you sell the place or that you keep it, the choice is yours. The money for selling it will help with many things. but I do hope you decide to keep it, at first it'll seem odd or unsettling without me there but I no time you'll fall in love with the place. It's located in a small rural area off of Gangneung. There are beautiful apple and plum orchards there and a few grape vines. If you want to see the place before you decide anything.

Jaebummie, I hope all the best for you and your entertainment company. I always knew that you were special, not just the fact that you're my one and only grandson. I love you my dearest child, and hopefully, you will be happy. Remember Jaebum, live your life you decide what you want, and never let anyone say otherwise.


From your dearest Grandmother,
Im Suk Ja

Tears slipped down my face and onto the paper. I smiled, being reminded of my grandmother's villa that I spent every summer at. How she would read me to sleep as my parents were either at work or off someplace else. How she would take me to pick apples and plums so we could eat as or make them into a desert. How I would go swim in the lake nearby. How I would play with the other younger boys who lived close by. How all the people in the town were very kind and welcoming. How that was the highlight of my year, every year. How she was the only one who seemed to care and support my every decision. Always telling me to live your life you decide what you want, and never let anyone say otherwise. I wiped away the tears and carefully folded the letter up and put it back into the envelope. Not long after I received the call from the lawyer.


Once the lawyer left, I ordered a plane ticket to Daegu. Then I called my assistant at my office. "Yugyeom you may leave, I'll be off to the Min's after I check on the trainees. Oh and I'll be gone for three months or so, but I'll be back a week and a half before Jackson's wedding," He looked at me surprised, "Why will you be gone for so long?" I smiled, "My grandmother died," and said grabbing the suit Yugyeom got me earlier and began to change into it.

"No offense Mr. Im but I don't think you should be smiling that your grandmother, the person you care most for, has died," He said grabbing the empty paper cups of coffee and throwing them away. I buttoned up my shirt and looked at him, "I know but she left me her entire inheritance, which I will donate more than half to charity or an orphanage, and the villa I practically grew up in,"

"Oh okay, so you're leaving for three months because you're going to mourn happily? Or am I wrong?" He said grabbing the tie and tying it up nicely, "No, I'm going to see it and spend some time there. I'll decide within the first month if I should keep it, then I'll spend the two last months just reminiscing in the memories and taking a nice vacation," I turned away from him and grabbed my blazer, after putting it on I turned back to Yugyeom. He held a small mirror which I used to make sure there was nothing on my face."When will you leave? Will you be taking some of you to work with you? For three months seems like a long time," I nodded, "I'll leave on Sunday, a day from now. And yes I will but while I'm gone you'll be in charge,"

"Me?" I nodded, "Yes Yugyeom, I trust you. You're the brother I've always wanted, plus no one knows the company better than you," He smiled brightly and yelled, "I won't let you down sir. Fighting!" He held up a fist and nodded. I laughed light-heartedly and with that, we both left my office. Going opposite ways.

After checking on the trainees and socializing with them; having dinner with Mr. Min and his beautiful family. I was headed home. When I arrived at my condo and went inside; I went to take a shower to get ready for bed as it was already 10:58 pm.

Once I finished the relaxing shower and got dressed into a pair of sweats I received a call from an unknown number, "Hello" I said into the phone, "Jaebum it me your elder sister Soojin. I'm calling from a new phone," I started to dry my hair with a towel.

"Oh hey, Soojin-noona, what's up?" I asked checking the time to see it's 11:20, "I wanted to tell you that Grandma passed a week ago. It surprises me she lived to be eighty,"

"I know, I received a letter today and met up with her lawyer," I said with a yawn at the end, "Oh, so you already know that you inherited everything that she owned right?" I mumbled a yes and continued to dry my hair, "That's not fair, you got everything and none of the other grandchildren got a part," She whined playfully. I chuckled and sat on my bed; placing the towel beside me, "That may be true but you, Sang, and Ji-Eun got a three-way split of what mom and dad left behind. You also got the company, and you know how much Sang wanted it," She laughed, "Right but I enjoy owning a big wine company, but I 100% bet you enjoy your company JBI Entertainment?"

"I do, I'm glad I went against mom and dad to go after my dreams," She giggled, "Yeah, well It's late Jaebum-ah, and I have to sleep. Sung-ho has school and I have work, sleep well and visit the villa soon. Goodnight baby brother," she rambled on, "Goodnight Noona," With that, she hung up. I laid back on my bed and just stared at my ceiling. 'I'm oddly excited for this trip. I wonder if I'll see any of my childhood friends.' I thought to myself as I drifted off to sleep.

A/N: So I'm new to this. I just transferred from another site to here. So... hi... My updating schedule is everywhere so please bear with me I have advanced classes and what not and that takes up all my time and energy. Also, some of these chapters have been published elsewhere and are just being copied to here. If you see old author notes and dates Im sorry... I'll try to change them when I have more time. I hope you enjoyed this chapter. 

XOXO

-Mrs.KimChii