Chapter 4-Did My Heart Love Til Now?

Romeo and Juliet: A Teukchul Love Story

As night fell, the Kim mansion was already buzzing with activity. People were entering the house in their best costumes and eleaborate masks ready to let loose and gossip about other people. The guards stood at the entrance of the house checking people's invitations and letting them through after confirmation.

As he stood outside the entrance to the gates, Leeteuk readjusted his white mask. He was dressed in a white dress shirt with white rosettes at the collar, a cream colored scarf, black cape with gold ts, and black pants that were tucked into his black boots.

"Yah, Hyung. Stop doing that. You're gonna ruin the mask. It wasn't cheap." Nickhun said. Leeteuk looked over at Nickhun who had opted for a black mask with silver trim. "What are you supposed to be again?" Leeteuk asked. "Zorro except without the sword." Nickhun replied. "And you look quite dashing too, might I add." a male voice said behind him. The two men turned to see Jo Kwon dressed in a red woman's hanbok, elaborate black wig with hair ornaments, jeonmo, and professional makeup he'd done himself. His face covered by a jade green half-mask.  "Seriously, Jo Kwon? A Gisaeng?" Nickhun asked. "Why not?" Jo Kwon asked. "I saw it in a drama recently and I just had to recreate it." he said. Nickhun shook his head. "Well, you have to give him points for being creative." Nickhun said. "Well, let's go." he said. Jo Kwon followed along happily.

"Wait!" Leeteuk stopped. "What now?" Nickhun asked. "What if someone recognizes me?" Nickhun sighed. "Hyung, Everyone's in costume. No one's gonna know who you are. You'll be fine." he said.

"You're worrying for nothing Teuk-hyung." Jo Kwon said. "You deserve to have fun for once in your life." Leeteuk sighed. His friends were right. He had nothing to worry about; Tonight was a night to let go. For once in his life, he was going to enjoy himself. "Now let's go." Jo Kwon said. "That party won't be fun until we're there." Jo Kwon turned and walked through the gates and presented his invitation to the guard who let him go through. 

Leeteuk and Nickhun followed and Leeteuk could feel his heartbeat increase as he got closer to the guard. He presented his invitation to the man at the door and waited. He held his breath as the guard looked at the invites then at Leeteuk. After what seemed like an eternity, he let them through. Leeteuk breathed a sigh of relief as he walked past the guard and into the foyer. He looked around the room. He couldn't believe it. He was actually standing in the house of his family's mortal enemy. If his father knew, he'd be furious.

"Well, no going back now." he thought as he walked further into the room and let himself be lost in the sea of partygoers. 

Upstairs, Heechul was putting the finishing touches on his costume. He'd decided to go with one of the characters from his favorite mobile game. A character who was an angel-like immortal. Heechul wore an eleaborate white robe with gold ts on the cuffs and collar and a sash trimmed in gold with a red tassel on it and a gold headpiece.

Despite the amazing costume, Heechul was still unhappy. He'd spent a good portion of the day in his "diva attitude" which consisted of him pouting and huffing and sighing dramatically at whatever his parents told him.

His dad had told him that many handsome men would be there and were dying to spend time with him. Heechul scoffed. He knew his dad had invited the sons of the men at his work. "Just give them a chance." his father said. "You might find someone among them to fall in love with." "Yeah right." Heechul thought. 

His dad was always trying to set him up with different men that he thought would be good replacements for Hankyung, but he rejected them all.

"When this is all over, I'm gonna change my name, cut my hair, move to Thailand and become a monk." he thought to himself.

"Heechul-ssi. Time to come out. You can pout some more later." Nara called from outside. "I'll be right there." Heechul replied. "Let's get this over with." he said to himself as he slipped on his red mask. He turned to his cat Heebum who watched him the whole time from his bed. "Heebum. You are so lucky you don't know who your parents are." The blue-grey just meowed in response then curled up to sleep. 

Heechul sighed and opened the door. No matter what his dad or Kyung-hoon said, there'd be no man who could ever replace Hankyung. He had no idea how wrong he'd soon be.

Leeteuk meanwhile was navigating the party crowd, drink in hand. He'd gotten quite a few looks from some women and a few men. Despite their intentions, he didn't really stop to flirt with them. He'd completely lost sight of Nickhun and Jo Kwon, who were probably having a much more enjoyable time than him. "Maybe this wasn't such a good idea." he thought. Leeteuk never did well at parties and usually spent them hiding in his room. He was about to find Nickhun and tell him he was going to go home when he caught a flash of long black hair. He followed the figure in the white robe to the ballroom where the figure stopped, sensing it was being followed.

Leeteuk gasped as the figure turned to fully face him. Though the face was partially covered by a red mask, it was beautiful. The cat-like eyes stared at Leeteuk and it felt as if the eyes were staring into his soul. Leeteuk then remembered a line from a Shakespeare story he read in high school:
"Did my heart love til now? Forswear it sight. For I never saw true beauty til this night."

***

"It's official. I am now totally bored." Heechul thought. He'd only been at this party for all of 20 minutes and he already wanted to leave. Heechul thought this was a waste of his time. He'd just avoided talking to the son of one his father's board members. He may have been charming, but he was too into himself. "None of these guys are worth it." he thought. Heechul let out a heavy sigh. "Screw this. I'm out of here." Heechul got up and was about to leave when spotted a distinct white mask. He'd never seen that person before. He definitely didn't look like one of the men his dad picked. Like him, he looked like he wanted to be anywhere else but here. He also looked lost. He was tall with honey-blonde hair that accented his slightly tan skin, and a white mask trimmed in gold similar to his.  "At least he has good taste." Heechul thought. A smile bloomed on his face. He could have some fun with this one. Heechul watched as the man looked at him then looked down. Heechul could make out a blush growing on his cheeks. "If he looks once, he's curious. Twice means he's-" Heechul watched as the man glanced up a second time. "Yup. He's intrested." Heechul muttered. 

Heechul got up from his perch on the stairs and moved a bit closer to see the man better. Heechul gasped as he saw the mysterious stranger better. He was gorgeous. "Who are you?" he muttered.

Heechul decided it was too crowded so he made for the garden. Stopping in the ballroom, he turned to see the handsome stranger follow as if in a trance. Then he went out the double doors to the gazebo, knowing the other would follow.

***

Leeteuk saw as the figure walked through the crowd, out a pair of double doors and out to the brightly lit garden. As if he were possessed, Leeteuk followed. He had to know who this was. Once outside he looked around and saw the figure standing in the gazebo. Leeteuk took a deep breath and walked over to the individual. When he finally reached the gazebo, he saw how the lights reflected off the figure's pale skin making him look like a real angel. Finally the figure turned around and Leeteuk gasped. Standing in front of him was the most beautiful man he'd ever seen. From his flawless white skin to his cat-like eyes, Leeteuk took in the figure's beauty. He moved past the man's eyes hidden by the red mask down to his lips, which he noticed were moving. 

"What?" Leeteuk asked. "I said you looked wanted out of there as much as I did." the man said. Leeteuk felt himself blush. "I'm sorry. You're just so beautiful. I couldn't help it." he said. The man chuckled. "You're not the first to say that, but you are one of the better ones." he said. "What's your name?" Leeteuk asked. "What's yours?" the man asked. Leeteuk hesitated. "Should I tell him my name? What if he rejects me because he knows of my family?" Leeteuk shook his head. "I'll just be honest with him. That's the best thing I can do." Leeteuk took a deep breath and looked at the man in front of him. "My real name is Jungsu, but everyone calls me Leeteuk." he said. Leeteuk saw the man's eyes furrow. "Jungsu. That name sounds familiar." he said. "You wouldn't happen to be the son of Park Yong-in, would you?" And there it was. The one thing that made others reject him. "Yes." Leeteuk answered. "Wow. You're definitely not what I thought you'd be." At that Leeteuk was shocked. "What?" was all that he could say. "You thought I was gonna turn you away because of who your father is." Leeteuk nodded. The man chuckled. "You're cute. I like that about you." Leeteuk blushed.  "Then you must be Kim Jin-soo's son."

"Heechul." he replied. "You're definitely not what I thought you'd be." Leeteuk said. "The boy I'd heard of growing up was someone who had a short temper. You seem the furthest thing from it." Heechul said. "I heard you were a spoiled brat who didn't care about anything and flirted with any guy he came across." Heechul frowned. "Yeah my father didn't exactly paint a good picture of you." Leeteuk said. "Same here." Heechul replied. They both chuckled.

The two young men then spent the next several hours talking about their hobbies, likes and dislikes and Leeteuk found that Heechul was surprisingly easy to talk to. "I guess we have more in common than I thought." Leeteuk said. "I like your costume. 'Warriors of the Divine Realm', right?" Heechul's eyes lit up. "You know that game?" he asked. "I've played it. I'm not the best at RPGs." Leeteuk admitted. "My friend Hani made it for me." Heechul said gesturing to the rest of the outfit. "The mask was my idea. I really like red." "My friend Sora designed mine. She said it would give me a "princely appearance". Whatever that means." Leeteuk said. "I think you look very prince-like. Also a bit like Romeo." Heechul said. "Then that would make you Juliet." Heechul flipped his hair. "I'm way prettier. Also they die at the end." he said. Leeteuk chuckled. He liked how Heechul had a sassy personality to him.

"How old are you, anyway?" Leeteuk asked. "I'll be 30 next year on July 10th." Heechul said. Leeteuk gasped. "Your birthday is in July, too? So is mine!" he exclaimed. "When?" Heechul asked. "July 1st." "Wow. So you're older by nine days." Leeteuk nodded. "I guess I should speak to you formally then." Heechul said. "No. You can speak casually to me." Leeteuk said. "To be honest, I'm kinda of surprised I'm speaking to you at all." Heechul said. "What do you mean?" "Well if anyone found out you were here, you'd be thrown out or shot." Leeteuk's eyes widened. "Your dad wouldn't do that, would he?" he asked. "Knowing my dad, yes." Heechul said. "He'd probably think you're a spy or something."

Leeteuk sighed. "This whole feud is pointless." he said. "I know. I have no idea what it's even about." "Neither do I." Heechul said.

"All I know is that it's been going on since before I was born. I doubt even our dad's know what they're fighting about." Heechul said. "Because of this feud, I can't seem to live a normal life. Everywhere I go, people always glare at me or whisper thinking I'm like my dad. I got bullied so much in school because of that." Leeteuk said sadly.

"Same here." Heechul said. "People say I'm just like my father. I've been called some really awful things." Leeteuk frowned. How could anyone say bad things about someone like Heechul?

"Are you dating anyone right now?" he asked. It was out of curiousity, but maybe just the tiniest bit of hope. Heechul sighed. "No. My ex left me." Leeteuk saw the frown on Heechul's face. "He said it was because he was unhappy, but I think it was because he couldn't handle being in a relationship with another man." Heechul said with a hint of bitterness. "It's been over a year since then and he hasn't contacted me once." Leeteuk frowned. "What about you? You come here with a boyfriend?" Heechul asked. "No I came with two of my friends. I don't have a boyfriend, either." Leeteuk said sadly. "He got into a bit of trouble. A few DUI's. He got in a fight with someone. He said he didn't want to ruin my reputation." Leeteuk recalled the moment Kangin decided to end their relationship. Leeteuk felt tears start to well up in his eyes. 

"You deserve better." Heechul said. "What do you mean?" Leeteuk asked. "You deserve someone who will love you with all their heart." Leeteuk felt a blush on his cheeks. "I've only known you for a few hours, but you seem like a person who's got a lot of love to give someone and wants to be loved in return." Heechul said. "So do you." Leeteuk said. "I didn't know your ex, but I feel like he made a big mistake letting you go. You seem like someone who wants to be loved in return. You have a nice personality and you're also really pretty and I think you deserve a guy who would see that." Heechul looked at Leeteuk, eyes shining.

Leeteuk looked worried as he saw tears form in Heechul's eyes. "What wrong?" he asked. "Nothing." Heechul said. It's just... no one's ever said that to me before." Heechul wiped a tear away before turning to face Leeteuk. "Leeteuk-ah. What do you look like under that mask?" he asked. "Will you show me?" Leeteuk hesitated. He didn't know how Heechul would react to him. "I'll show you if you show me." Leeteuk said. "We'll unmask each other. Ok?" Heechul asked. Leeteuk nodded. Heechul reached out and touched Leeteuk's white mask as Leeteuk reached his fingers out to touch Heechul's red mask. "Ready? Go." As Leeteuk felt his mask be removed he saw more of Heechul's face come into focus, he heard Heechul let out a gasp.

Heechul got a closer look at Leeteuk as his mask was removed and gasped. Whatever expectations he'd set for Leeteuk weren't nearly high enough. Leeteuk was far more handsome than he'd thought. "Wow." they both said quietly. "You are so much more handsome than I thought. Considering this is my first time seeing you up close." Heechul said. "So are you. You're a lot more prettier than I'd thought." Leeteuk said. 

Leeteuk reached out his hand and placed it on Heechul's cheek. At the same time Heechul placed his hand on top of Leeteuk's. Heechul felt his heartbeat increase as did Leeteuk. "Heechul, I-" Leeteuk started. Suddenly a ringing broke the silence. "You've got to be kidding me." Leeteuk said as he fished around in his pocket for his phone. 

Heechul frowned at the sudden loss of the older's hand. Leeteuk read the screen and saw Nickhun's name flash on screen. He turned and saw Heechul's expression. "Sorry." he whispered. He turned and hit 'Accept Call'.

"Nickhun-ah." he replied. 
"Where are you?!" Nickhun asked. 
"Sorry. I just went out for some air." Leeteuk said.
"Well you've been out there a really long time. It's almost midnight." Nickhun said
Leeteuk's eyes widened. "I really spent that much time out here?" He looked at Heechul again and smiled. "Totally worth it." he thought.
"I'll meet you and Jo Kwon in a bit." he replied.
"Alright. Just hurry up." Nickhun said. 
Leeteuk hung up and turned back to Heechul. "Sorry." he said embarassedly. "I've got to-"
"I understand." Heechul said. Leeteuk put his mask back on and started to walk out of the gazebo. He stopped and turned back to Heechul. "Heechul-ah." he said. "Can-can I see you again?" he asked. 

"Of course." Heechul said. "Can I call you?" Heechul nodded. Leeteuk smiled as Heechul walked over and gave him his phone. "Here." Leeteuk placed his number and handed the phone back to Heechul. 
Heechul smiled as he looked at his phone then placed it back in the pocket of his robe. "I really enjoyed my time with you, Leeteuk." he said. "Me too." Leeteuk said. And he meant it. "I'll call you tomorrow." Just as he was about to walk away, Heechul ran up and turned him around and kissed him. Leeteuk felt sparks coursing through him. After a few seconds (or was it hours?), Heechul pulled away. He let out a small giggle as he saw Leeteuk's face turn red. "Til next we meet." he said. Leeteuk, too stunned to say anything just nodded and walked back inside. Once he was gone, Heechul smiled. "Farewell. My Prince." he whispered.

Back inside, Leeteuk was still in shock over the kiss that he didn't feel Nickhun's hand on his shoulder. "There you are!" Nickhun said. "Oh. Sorry" Leeteuk said dazedly. "Are you ok?" Nickhun asked seeing Leeteuk's red face. "I'm fine." Leeteuk replied. "Whatever." Nickhun said. "Where's-" "I'm right here." Jo Kwon said appearing behind the two. "Where the hell have YOU been?" Nickhun asked as he saw Jo Kwon's makeup was now slightly messy. "You know I don't kiss and tell." Jo Kwon said with a giggle. "I-I. Never mind let's just go." Nickhun said with a shake of his head, as the trio left, the smile on Leeteuk's face still stayed. "Nickhun-ah. I'm so glad you invited me to this party." he thought.

Meanwhile, Heechul had finally gone back inside as the party was winding down. His smile still on his face. He was so caught up in his emotions that he didn't hear Nara's voice call out to him. "Heechul-ssi!" Heechul finally noticed the older woman standing with a look of concern on her face. "I've been looking all over for you!" she exclaimed. "Sorry, Nara. I was outside." Heechul said. "You were certainly out there a long time." the older woman said. "Are you alright? Your face is all red." Nara noticed Heechul's red cheeks. "I'm just fine, Nara." Heechul said. "You know? I'm glad my parents threw this party. It wasn't so bad after all." Heechul said. Nara looked at Heechul with a surprised face. "Are you sure you're alright? You never talk about parties like that." Nara felt Heechul's head. "I'm going to bed. Goodnight." Heechul said. Nara watched as Heechul headed to his room. "What has gotten into that boy?" she shook her head. 

Upstairs, Heechul removed his mask and headed to his bathroom. As he removed his makeup, he looked at his reflection. His cheeks still looked slightly blushed and the impression of his mask could still be seen around his eyes. After a quick shower and a change into pajamas, Heechul lay in his bed staring up at the ceiling. He'd just spent the night talking to the son of his father's mortal enemy. He knew his dad would kill him if he found out, but for some reason, he didn't care. Leeteuk was very easy to talk to and they shared a lot of the same intrests. Not to mention, he was pretty handsome. He reached up to where Leeteuk had touched his cheek. "Leeteuk." he whispered. Heechul thought back to kissing him before he left. Usually he was never that bold, yet kissing Leeteuk felt right. He'd be lying if he didn't say he'd felt his heart race during the time he'd spent with him. It'd been so long since he'd felt that way. Turning to his nightstand he picked up his phone and started typing.

***

Back home Leeteuk lay in his bed thinking about the night's events. Most of all, he'd thought of Heechul. The younger had such a personality about him that Leeteuk liked. He was smart, he had a quick wit, and he seemed unbothered by things. But he also had a soft side that Leeteuk couldn't help but love. 

He could still feel Heechul's kiss on his lips. It'd been so long since anyone had kissed him. A 'ding' on his phone pulled Leeteuk out of his thoughts. He turned and grabbed his phone. '1 new message' it read.

H: Hey. it read. 
'L: Heechul-ah? Leeteuk typed back.
H: The one and only.
L: 
I was thinking about you.
H: So was I. Guess we're in sync. 
Leeteuk chuckled.
 L: I really enjoyed talking with you tonight.
H: So did I.
L: I can't wait to see you again.
H: Me too.

Leeteuk paused. He wanted to see Heechul as soon as possible.
L: Are you busy tomorrow? he typed.
H: No.
L: How about we spend some the day together?
H: I'd like that.
H: Then we could go get lunch at a ramen place my friend works at.'

:Sounds fun.
Leeteuk smiled. Was really he going to go on a date with Heechul after just meeting him?
H: And yes, in case you're wondering it's a date.
"Okay he's a mind reader now." Leeteuk thought.
H: See you tomorrow.
L: Good night.
H: Sweet dreams.


And with that both men fell asleep with smiles on their faces for the first time in what seemed like ages.

 

A/N: Warriors of The Divine Realm is a made-up title, but it sounds like a game Heechul would play.