Chapter 1-In Fair Seoul

Romeo and Juliet: A Teukchul Love Story

 

Seoul,  the capital of South Korea was busy city like anywhere else in the world. It was home to several well-known businesses and the worldwide phenomenon of K-pop. But what people outside Korea didn't know was that Seoul was home to two very powerful families: the Park's and the Kim's. 

Both families were wealthy, influential, and well-known in the world of industry. They were also known to hate each other. For decades, the two families were said to be locked in a longstanding feud with both sides trying to be better than the other. Nobody knows how or when the feud started; If asked, both sides would tell their own story making it grander in detail and always pointing the blame at each other. It all depended on whose story you chose to believe.

Both families had taught their children from birth to hate the other and never associate with them. This meant they could not talk to, work with, or befriend someone from the other side. And you were never, under any circumstances allowed to fall in love.

It was from within these two families a forbidden love would bloom.

It was a busy day in Central Seoul. People were going about their lives as usual enjoying the peacefulness. But it was a peace that would be short-lived. A young man dressed in a black coat was running and cutting through the crowd. 

People moved out of his way, unsure of why he was running. "You Bastard!" a male voice shouted. Two men were chasing after the individual, pushing people out of the way. As the two men continued their chase, a dark grey car stopped in the middle of the road. The man in the black coat smirked as the back door of the car opened. He jumped in and the door shut instantly as the car sped off down the road.

The two pursuers stopped. "Dammit, we lost him!" Jinki, the elder of the two said. "What do we do now?" Minho, the taller man asked. Just then, a blue car pulled to a stop next to the two. The window rolled down, revealing the driver Kim Jaejoong. 

"Get in!" he demanded. Both men jumped into the car and sped off after the grey car. After weaving in and out of traffic, the two cars came to a stop at a gas station. Both parties got out of their respective vehicles, paying no mind to the people getting back in their own vehicles and driving away. The six men stared each other down, the tension palpable. 

"You've got a lot of nerve, Jungmo! Thinking you can just come after us like that! Especially since it was an unprovoked attack!" Jinki shouted. Jungmo smirked. "I had a perfectly good reason. You think I didn't see what you said about my boss on that message board? You called him a 'brainless bastard' and I felt it was necessary to protect his honor." Jinki scowled. "I'm not taking back what I said. He's a brainless bastard and so are you."  he said. Jungmo growled. 

"That's it!" Jinki exclaimed. "We're gonna end this once and for all!" he pulled out his 9mm gun, decorated with the Park family emblem of a dragon. Minho pulled his out as well. Jungmo smirked as he pulled out his own gun decorated with the Kim family emblem of a tiger. His friend Minwoo did the same. All four stared at each other, guns pointing at each other.

Jaejoong, not sure what to do, could only watch as his friends stood ready to shoot the Kim boys. "Jinki-ah", Minho-ah. We shouldn't do this." he said. Jaejoong really wasn't in the mood to deal with another fight. "Hyung, don't just stand there. Back us up here." Minho said, not taking his eyes off Jungmo and Minwoo.

The striking of a match broke Jaejoong's attention. He turned to the source and saw Choi Seunghyun, known to others as T.O.P, standing with a cigarette in his mouth. He was dressed in a dark blue suit and his platinum blonde hair was swept to one side. He looked at Jaejoong with an amused smirk. "You're really choosing to let these people fight your battles instead of fighting them yourself?" Seunghyun looked Jinki and Minho and tsked. "And here I thought you were above meaningless trash." Jinki and Minho glared at him.

Jaejoong really didn't like the fact that T.O.P thought of Jinki and Minho as nothing more than dirt just because they didn't come from good families. "Turn around, Kim Jaejoong. And look at the man who deliver your death." T.O.P slowly pulled his blazer back to reveal two holsters with guns decorated with a rose and vines. A cold smile slowly formed on his face revealing perfect white teeth.

Jaejoong gulped nervously. "If looks could kill, I'd be dead now," he thought. T.O.P aimed his gun at Jaejoong who heard the hammer click.

"I-I'm just trying to keep the peace," he said. "Either put your gun down, or use it to help me resolve this." 

"Peace?" TOP repeated. "I hate that word. Just like I hate Hell, all Parks, and you." he said in a low voice.

"Bang! Bang!" a small child's voice shouted. T.O.P turned and saw a small boy playing with a toy gun pretending to shoot him with it. T.O.P aimed his gun at the boy, a look of coldness on his face. "Bang!" he exclaimed. The little boy's eyes widened in terror. "Eomma!" the boy cried out. The boy's mother saw the gun pointed at her son and let out a shriek as she grabbed him and ran off.

"I hate kids," T.O.P said once they were gone. He turned back around and aimed at Jaejoong again. Not sure what to really do, Jaejoong nervously pulled out his gun. T.O.P finally decided to pull the trigger. Jaejoong ducked as the bullet whizzed past and stopped in a post. "Aw, to hell with this!" Minho said. 

The sounds of gunfire filled the air. People near the gas station ran away screaming as the six young men shot at each other. Jaejoong ducked and rolled behind a gas pump and could see the cashier in the store run out from the counter, but not before the cashier gave him a dirty look and exited out the back.

All that could be heard was the sound of bullets whizzing through the air and smashing the glass windows of the store. Out of the corner of his eye, Jaejoong saw Minho shooting from behind another pump. The two exchanged looks before Minho ducked and rolled and headed to the car. Once inside, he let out a sharp whistle. Jinki turned and ran to the car. Jaejoong quickly followed. "Running away like a coward, Kim Jaejoong?!" T.O.P shouted. "Hyung, start the car! Get us out of here!" Minho exclaimed. Jaejoong put his keys in the ignition and the car sped out of gas station. T.O.P growled.

He reached into his pocket and pulled out a scope. He attached it to one of his guns and looked through it. Once he got a glimpse of Minho, he fired. Minho grabbed his arm in pain. Seunghyun smiled. In the midst of all the fighting, the cigarette in T.O.P's mouth had fall out onto the ground. Minwoo saw the gas trail start to ignite. "Hyung!" he shouted. T.O.P looked at Minwoo. "We gotta leave! This place is gonna blow!" T.O.P saw the gas trail and the fire as it got closer to a pump. The three ran to the car and slammed the doors behind them. "Step on it!" He told Jungmo. Jungmo stepped on the gas and sped out of there just as a loud explosion was heard.

T.O.P looked back and saw the gas station now in a fireball. The car was now speeding after Jaejoong's car. T.O.P rolled down the window and aimed his gun and fired. The blue car swerved out of the way. T.O.P fired several more rounds until finally the car stopped in the middle of the road. T.O.P watched as its three occupants got out. T.O.P got out along with Jungmo and Minwoo. "Kim Jaejoong!" T.O.P shouted. "I'm not finished with you! Come out here and take your death like a man!" The two groups met in the middle and began shouting.

In the midst of the chaos, sirens could be heard coming closer. Just then a group of police vehicles stopped in front of the group. The officers got out and aimed their weapons at the young men. Amidst the shouting, the whirring blades of a helicopter could be heard. The six men looked up and saw the police chief Lee Soo-man sitting in the opening with a megaphone. "Lower your weapons!" He shouted. "Slowly put your weapons on the ground and face me with your hands up!" "Just do it!" Jaejoong said exasperatedly. Minho and Jinki and Jungmo, Minwoo, and T.O.P finally complied and let their weapons fall to the ground as they put their hands up.

"Three times." Chief Soo-man said as both families were gathered in the Seoul Police station. "Three times I've had to send my officers to an incident caused by your families." Mr. Kim and Mr. Park both sat in front of the chief not looking at each other as usual. "I'm getting tired of having to go through this time and time again." Chief Soo-man said. "Now I don't know what started this fight between your families and I don't really care. I have a city to keep safe. And I can't do that if you two are constantly causing trouble!" "And I understand your need to keep the peace, Chief Soo-man." Park Yong-in, head of the Park family said. "And as such, I feel that it's only necessary that the guilty party be held accountable." "Oh don't start this again, Yong-in." Kim Jin-soo, head of the Kim family said. "You're gonna do what you always do: pin the blame on others for something that's your fault." Yong-in turned to look at Jin-soo and scowled. "Your nephew only cares about himself. It's him and his friends who started all this".

"Now you listen here." he said. "My nephew Jaejoong is a good, responsible man. And Minho and Jinki are like family to me. I can absolutely say that our family wouldn't be who we are without them." Minho made faces at T.O.P who snarled back. "Oh, please." Jin-soo said. "Your nephew and his hooligan friends are nothing but trouble. At least Jungmo and Minwoo come from good families."  At that, Jungmo and Minwoo smirked at Jinki and Minho. "Well at least my nephew wasn't arrested on charges!" Yong-in said. "Those charges were dropped!" Jin-soo shouted. "Don't think I don't know about that prosecutor you paid off in Gangnam. The only reason why it didn't end up on the news is because you threatened those reporters.  Then there was the cop in Incheon you bribed after that drunk driving incident. And let's not forget all the partying and gambling. Your nephew is far from a saint."  Yong-in said. "At least my son's not a sissy!" Jin-soo exclaimed as he got out of chair. "At least mine's not a spoiled brat who sleeps around!" Yong-in shouted. The two men continued bickering back and forth, yelling louder and louder. 

Finally, Chief Soo-man, who had been watching the shouting match couldn't take anymore. "QUIET!" he shouted. Both men turned to look at the chief who was now rubbing his temples. "I've had just about enough from you two for one day." Chief Soo-man said. "I'm going to say this once, and once only. If anyone from either of your families causes another incident like this again, everyone involved, whether they participated or not, will be punished. And no amount of money will change my mind otherwise. Do I make myself clear?" he asked. No one responded. "Do I make myself clear?!" he said louder. "Yes, sir." everyone responded. "Good. Now get out of my office. All of you." the chief's assistant held the door open and led the two families out. Once they were gone, Chief Soo-man took out some asprin and sighed. "Those two are gonna be the death of me, I swear." he said as he took the asprin and took a sip of water.

Outside the station, the Kim's and Park's each went to their respective cars. The Kim's went left and the Park's went right. In the Park's car, Jaejoong looked around. Minho was still nursing his bandaged arm while his aunt was talking to his uncle.  "Uncle Yong-in," Jaejoong started. "About what happened today," "I don't think now is the best time, dear." Mrs. Park said. "You just need to know. I really did try to stop all this from happening." Jaejoong said. "It's true, sir." Jinki said. "He really did try to stop us." Minho said. "Well the important thing is none of you were too badly hurt." Mrs. Park said. Jaejoong could see the dark look on his uncle's face. His treasured rifle hung above him.

Mr. Park scowled. "The nerve of him." he said. "If we hadn't been in a police station, I would have taken him out right there. How dare he talk about our family like that?" "Yeobo, try to calm down. Remember what the doctor said about your blood pressure." Mrs. Park said. Jaejoong looked down at his feet. His uncle was not the type of man to mess with when he was angry. Anything could set him off. "Thank goodness your cousin wasn't in the midst of all that." Mrs. Park said. "Speaking of which, have you heard from Jungsoo today? He wasn't there when we woke up." Jaejoong shook his head. "No, ma'am. I haven't heard from him since this morning." It was true. Jaejoong had last seen his cousin Jungsu when he woke up. He'd said he was going out for a while and to not tell anyone where he was going. 

"Honestly, is he still moping about that Young Woon boy again?" Mr. Park asked. "I told him that boy was no good. All he's done since they broke up is lock himself in his room and cry." Mr. Park scowled. "As much as I don't want to admit it, Kim was right about one thing today: Jungsu is far too soft. If he's gonna be my heir, he needs to start learning how to act like it."

Jaejoong frowned. He knew his uncle didn't like how his cousin was kind all the time and that bothered him. Jaejoong knew his cousin; he just didn't have it in him to be mean. Looking out the window, Jaejoong sighed. "Jungsu-ah. I really hope you're alright out there." he thought.

Elsewhere, on the other side of the city, sat the Han River. Many people were there. Some were kids with their families, others were elderly people taking in the river and talking, some were couples out on a romantic excusion. Amongst these people, a well-dressed young man sat overlooking the shore.

His dark blue blazer sat next to him. His white dress shirt was slightly rumpled and his honey-blonde hair was slightly ruffled from having his fingers run through it. In the man's hands was a small notebook, of which many lines had been scratched through. The man sighed. "I still can't write anything." he said to himself. Closing the book, he put it in his lap and sighed again. The young man's name was named Park Jungsu, son of Park Yong-in and Lee Hyerin, heir to Park Industries. To his friends (the few he had) he was Leeteuk, which is what he felt more comfortable going by.

By all accounts, Leeteuk was like any chaebol his age: he was young, handsome, had money, but what really set him apart was his kind nature. He didn't like the way his family lived; He preferred to spend time with his dog Shimkoong, or cooking, or playing music, much to his father's dismay. "You're my heir Jungsu." his father said. "And as my heir you need to learn the family business." Leeteuk frowned. Ever since he could remember, his life was filled with the family business. He always accompanied his father to his meetings, always in his immaculate suits, forced to play the role of a chaebol. He'd sit through the meetings, not caring about what was being said, but he listened because if he didn't, his father would be angry; And Leeteuk hated seeing his father angry. Whenever he was, he'd take it out on Leeteuk, even if it had nothing to do with him.

The only silver lining in his life was his boyfriend Kangin. He'd met the younger man at a bar shortly after he turned 20 after yet another incident with his father. Leeteuk sat there, drinking away, trying to forget about his father when the younger man approached him. The two sat and talked about everything and Leeteuk found himself happy for the first time in a long time. Kangin offered to drive Leeteuk home. As he lay in bed, Leeteuk recieved at text from Kangin that read: "Sweet Dreams." Leeteuk smiled. For the first time in his 20 years of life, Leeteuk had something to be happy about.

Over time, the two went on dates and Leeteuk found himself falling in love. Kangin was always there when Leeteuk wanted to vent about his father, when he was sad, and when he just needed someone to talk to. When Kangin confessed his feelings, Leeteuk was only too happy to accept. That was when he had his first kiss. And it was wonderful. Life with Kangin was wonderful. Until the breakup happened. Kangin sat down with Leeteuk one morning, his face somber. "Jungsu-ah. We need to talk." Leeteuk looked at his boyfriend, wondering what he was going to say. "It's about us." Leeteuk could already tell this wasn't going to be a normal conversation. "I, I just-," Kangin paused. "I don't think we should be together anymore."

Leeteuk felt his heart shattering like glass. "It's not anything you did. It's me." Kangin said. "I'm not happy. After everything that's happened- the drinking, the DUI, me getting arrested, I just think it would be better for us to stop seeing each other." he said. Leeteuk couldn't speak; it was almost as if his ability to talk was gone. "I don't want to ruin your good name with my dumb mistakes." Kangin wrung his hands together. "I'm going to California for a while. To figure myself out. I leave tomorrow." he said. Leeteuk felt like dying. His first boyfriend. His first love was leaving him. "I just have one question." Leeteuk said quietly.

Kangin looked at him. "When did it stop?" Leeteuk asked. Kangin raised a brow in question. "When did what stop?" "The love between us." Leeteuk replied. "You said you weren't happy so when did it stop?" Kangin looked down at the floor. "I think we both know the answer to that." he said quietly. Leeteuk felt his eyes well up. "Jungsu-" Kangin reached out for Leeteuk, but he shook him off. 

"Just go." Leeteuk said trying not to cry. Kangin got up without saying a word. He stopped before turning around. "I'll always treasure what we had, Teuk." he said. "You were the first of a lot of things for me and I'll always be greatful for that." Leeteuk was silent. Kangin sighed and walked out the door without another word. Leeteuk cried himself to sleep that night. He barely slept, ate, and wouldn't leave his room unless he had to. He'd been in there for many days until his cousin Jaejoong decided to try and break him out of his sadness. "Leeteuk." He said gently. Leeteuk looked up at his cousin, eyes red and face puffy. Jaejoong hated the sight of his cousin being so sad. "Look I know you're upset, but sitting here isn't going to make anything better." he said. "I know you're upset about Kangin, but he's not worth being so sad over." Leeteuk frowned. 

"There's plenty of other guys out there. I know you won't like hearing this, but you can do better than Kangin." Leeteuk looked at his cousin. "It's tough now, but you'll see. You'll find a guy that'll give you all the love you deserve.  Someone who will love you no matter what." "You really think so?" Leeteuk asked. "I know so." Jaejoong said. When Jaejoong left, Leeteuk looked out the window. He'd gone to bed early, skipping dinner yet again. It took a while, but after some coaxing from Jaejoong, Leeteuk finally felt well enough to face the outside world again.

He went downstairs one evening to join his family for dinner. His mother was pleased to finally have her son back. His father didn't say anything, just nodding before going back to his meal. Leeteuk sat across from Jaejoong who gave him a small smile. He would be okay. He'd try.

Leeteuk was pulled out of his thoughts by the sound of his phone. He saw his phone display "1 New Message." He swiped his phone to see a message from his cousin Jaejoong.

Jaejoong: Where are you?

Leeteuk: At the park. Why? 

Jaejoong: You've been there almost all morning. It's nearly noon. 

Leeteuk looked at the time on his phone. 11:50. he was shocked. "Did I really stay here that long?" he thought.

Jaejoong: Imo is wondering where you are. I made up an excuse saying you and I were going to meet for lunch.

Leeteuk sat up and stretched. He'd lost track of time and knowing his mother, she was probably worried. 

Leeteuk: Tell her I'm fine. Where do you want to eat?

Jaejoong: Anywhere's fine. 

Leeteuk: I'll be there soon. Tell Jinki and Minho to meet with us.

Jaejoong: Okay. See you in a few.

Leeteuk put his blazer back on and stuffed his notebook into his pocket. He made his way over to his car which was parked away from the river. He hit the button on his keys and the door unlocked. Leeteuk opened the door and got in. He took some time to look around briefly. His car was one of the expensive cars that many heirs like him drove. Filled with a nice leather interior and the best technology. The outside was white, his favorite color. It had been gifted to him by his father, supposedly to try and one-up his rival Kim Jin-soo after he bought his son the same car in red.

A few minutes later, he waited for Jaejoong and his friends to show up, he looked over to a building's jumbo screen where a pretty female newscaster sat reading the news. 

"The ongoing feud between the families of Park Yong-in and Kim Jin-soo caused yet another incident today." she said. "Members of both factions met in an altercation resulting in the explosion of a gas station and destruction of a convinience store." Leeteuk watched as images of a firey gas station showed up on screen. "This was the scene overhead as a local gas station caught fire then exploded during yet another fight between the members of the Kim Jin-soo and Park Yong-in families." a male reporter said. "Reports of gunfire were heard as many headed away from the chaos. There were no reports of any injuries to employees, however." The scene then changed to show the two groups getting out of cars in the middle of the street. "The fight reportedly continued in the middle of traffic in downtown Seoul. At which point both parties were verbally assaulting one another. Chief Lee Soo-man and the Seoul Police arrived on scene to end the brawl, resulting in both parties being taken to the station. "Not again." Leeteuk whispered.

"Many are requesting that Kim Jin-soo and Park Yong-in be arrested due to their past history, even sending a petiton to The Blue House requesting action from the President." the female anchor said as she re screen. "At this point Chief Soo-man commented saying: "We will continue to keep this city safe from any harm. That includes this feud. Many have been innocent victims in this seemingly unending fight and we ensure all our citizens that all parties will be dealt with should this incident happen again." "Both Kim Jin-soo and Park Yong-in declined to comment. Reporting now, Choi Kyung-hwa, KBN News." Leeteuk looked away and sighed. This was what he hated hearing about most: some fight between his father and Kim Jin-soo. 

This feud had been going on since before he was born. He didn't know what it was about, but he didn't really care. He didn't really have a lot of friends growing up because of the feud aside from his cousin Jaejoong and Minho and Jinki. There was also his best friend Nickhun, but he was from Thailand so thankfully he didn't know a lot about it. Leeteuk hated whenever he heard anything about the feud on the news. Whenever he'd go out, people would move to the other side of the street, mothers would pull their children closer to them, and some would glare at him. It was as if everyone thought he was the exact same as his father: short-tempered and angry. Because of that Leeteuk got bullied a lot in school and it made him feel worse. All he wanted was for someone to see him as a normal person.

After waiting for a few minutes, Jaejoong finally showed up with Minho and Jinki in tow. Leeteuk saw the bandages on Minho's arm. He could only guess they were from the fight. "Leeteuk-ah." Jaejoong said as he hugged his cousin. "Hyung." Jinki said. "Hyung." Minho echoed. "So Minho. How's your arm?" Minho looked down, embarrassed. "I take it you heard about what happened." Jaejong said. "Yes." Leeteuk said. "To be fair, they started it. They shot at us first." Jinki said. "Only because you called Kim Jin-Soo a brainless bastard." Minho said. Leeteuk sighed. "Let's just go eat." he said. The others nodded and followed Leeteuk as they headed to a restaurant. As they walked, Leeteuk saw some people moving away from them on the sidewalk. 

Some glared at them, others muttered under their breath. Leeteuk hated this. He knew that people thought badly of him because of who his father was. Eventually they reached their favorite chicken restaurant, much to Jinki's delight. "You guys go ahead. I'll be in a second." Leeteuk said. Minho and Jinki walked inside. Jaejoong saw Leeteuk leaning against the wall. "What's wrong, Hyung?" he asked. "Do you ever wonder what our lives would be like if this feud wasn't going on?" Leeteuk asked. "What do you mean?" "I mean, if our lives were just normal like everyone else; no violence or people hating us. If we could just be normal people." 

Jaejoong sighed. "I hate to tell you hyung, but normalcy doesn't exist in our world." he said. Leeteuk sighed. "Don't get me wrong, I wish the feud didn't happen either. But this is the way life is and we have to accept it." Leeteuk frowned. "But if I'm being honest, you deserve better." Leeteuk looked at him. "What do you mean?" he asked. "I mean, you aren't cut out for this life. You're not like Uncle and you never will be no matter how much he wants you to be." Jaejoong said. "I see it in you, you aren't meant for violence. You're a good gentle soul. Whether Uncle likes it or not, you could never run the company." Leeteuk sighed again. Jaejoong knew him better than anyone.

"I know you're also still sad about your breakup with Kangin, but you won't be forever." "How do you know?" Leeteuk asked. Jaejoong placed a hand on Leeteuk's shoulder. "Because someday you're going to meet someone special. Someone who will love you with all their heart and soul." Leeteuk looked at his cousin. "You really think there's someone out there for me?" he asked. Jaejoong nodded. "All you have to do is look for him." Just then, the door to the restaurant opened. "Hey guys, you coming or what?" Minho asked. "We'll be right there." Jaejoong answered. Minho nodded and went back inside. "Jaejoong-ah." Leeteuk said. "Yeah?" Leeteuk hugged him. "Thanks." Jaejoong smiled. "Like I said, hyung. You deserve better." The two pulled apart and Jaejoong walked into the restaurant. Leeteuk thought about what his cousin said. "Jaejoong is right. I do deserve a better life than this." he thought. "But will I really ever find someone who can replace Kangin?" Leeteuk sighed. "Someone who will love me heart and soul. Whoever that is, I hope he's out there." Then Leeteuk smiled and headed into the restaurant, not knowing how soon his life would change.

 

A/N This was the first chapter of my story. Sorry it took so long. Hope it turns out well.