Final

Stars

A year and a half passed by and we were finally graduating high school. Klaudia and I became closer than ever that’s why I was the first, aside from her family, who knew that she’s going to debut soon as a solo artist. She will have her debut a month after graduation. 

“Hey, Miyu. Look at this.” Klaudia called me as she showed her phone to me. They were some behind the scenes of her album jacket photoshoot and some clips of her practicing her debut song. She often shares things like these to me and I give her honest opinions in return. 

“Promise me, Miyu.” She started, one night before our graduation. “Promise me that you’ll always support me. I’m afraid I may falter in the middle of this. The expectation is overwhelming.”

“I promise Klau.” I assured her, holding her shoulders firmly. “I am your best friend and your number one fan. I will always be here.”

“And so I am to you, Miyu.”

That was the last night we really talked for such a long time. Right after her debut, which has been very successful, she became to busy.

And so I am --- as a university student and as a fan.

We hang out sometimes but as she got more popular and as I also became a busy senior student, the times we see each other lessened. I still buy her albums and attend some events as my schedule permits. 

It’s not always me who supports her in her dreams. There was this one time when I told her that I’m dating a guy from university and she showed support when she wrote a sweet song for us. When we broke up, she also wrote a song to cheer me up. I did the same when she got involved in a dating scandal. It was a bit harder though, in her case.

“Of course some of your ‘fans’ felt that you betrayed them.” I told her as we hung out in her apartment after the dating scandal became public. “As an idol, they look up to you as if you’re a star, shining all your light on then. Some thinks that you’re somehow in a ‘relationship’ with them, and that you won’t be where you are if not for them. And now that you’re showing a ‘human’ side of you, they felt as if you cheated on them, or that you used them to reach a certain level of stardom and date someone so popular as well. But you’re a human too. Sooner or later, you will also fall in love. It’s part of life. You don’t have to worry much because though you gained haters and lost ‘fans,’ you also gained some shippers.”

She broke up after a year with that popular boy. And us fans who stayed with her became more loyal to her as she showed in her own simple ways that she’s thankful that we remained by her side.

Some more year and she started to star in dramas and movies, while I got into another relationship and decided to start a family. She was on a one year hiatus while I was preparing for my wedding, and I know that that is the only time I can talk to her again. We went on a trip abroad for a few days reasoning to my soon-to-be-husband that I have to have a full version update with my bridesmaid. 

After 9 years in the industry, I know she’s hit ‘the wall.’

“All those time, I badly wanted to be a singer and make people happy through my music. But right now, I just felt that I’ve reached that dream and I don’t know what to do anymore.” Klaudia explained.

“Is it really because you don’t know what to do, or you’re afraid to do something new?” I asked her, trying to get my point.

“H-how…”

“You’ve tried making your own music but you were only able to contribute in some parts. I also know that you’re getting interested in being in films and making one.” I revealed.

She smiled at me before looking up the stars from the porch where we’re seating. “You’re right. There’s so many things that I would like to try and I’m afraid that if don’t do well, I’ll disappoint you, my family, and the fans, who are rooting for me.”

“Do not be afraid Klau. Even after the light of the center stage dims, the curtains fall, and the show’s over, we will always be here. I will always be your best friend and your number one fan. You have been our star, enlightening our darkest nights. Let us be your stars this time that you’re feeling lost. We may not always be around each other anymore let our lights shine upon your darkest times and remind you that no matter which way you’re going to choose, we’ll always be here for you.

“We are each other’s stars, Klau…”

 

------------------------

A/N: I don't know if this story makes sense, but I think a fandom-idol relationship is like being friends/family, where you support each other. I know there are some who find solace or gain courage through songs, and the idols in turn, gains courage with the amount of support given to them.