Chapter 3

The Stalker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I have no idea how long it was but Junhoe and I were still hugging each other. The way he was holding me in his arms felt like it was the last time he was seeing me. His hug felt like a goodbye. He had been like this since he received an SOS phone call from his company this morning. Apparently, there was a breach in security in one of the his biggest client’s office and his staff couldn’t control it. He tried to fix it using the computer he had in his office but the problem was too big that he had to go on site. 

 

He didn’t want to leave me so I suggested that I should just tag along with him. But he told me that it would be unprofessional if he was with his fiancée as he would came to a client’s office to do official work. Plus, the company was in Japan and as far as I know, we haven’t done anything to process my papers and passport. I couldn’t even argue. 

 

“I don’t want to leave you.” He said again. He released me from his hug before he placed both of his hands on my cheeks. I kept my hands on his waist, still unable to let him go.

 

“But you’ll be back in a few days, right?” I asked, seeing reassurance. We were always with each other in the past few months and the thought of not having him around for the next few days made me anxious. 

 

“I’ll be back in 2 days...3 days tops. Mrs. Kim will stay to cook your meals and accompany you. Mr. Jung and his team will rotate guarding the house. You’re safe here, I assure you that.” Junhoe said as he stared deep into my eyes. He bent his neck to kiss my lips before he finally let me go and entered the car. He mouthed “I love you.” before he closed the door. The car drove away before I could even say it back. I guess it was for the better. If he would have hesitated for another second, I bet he wouldn’t have found the courage to leave me. 

 

I entered the house and looked around. For the first time in my 5 month worth of memories, I didn’t have anything to do. In those 5 months, I was always with Junhoe. We never really go out, not because I was still shaken up with what happened months ago, but I just didn’t want to worry Junhoe. He wasn’t saying it but I felt that he was more affected by the incident. He always gave me an impression that he was so scared to lose me again. 

 

I went to my studio and tried to work on an unfinished painting but I was uninspired. I gave up soon after knowing that attempting to do art while uninspired is just futile. The rest of the day, I spent watching random romcoms. They were all funny but I cried so much. I felt embarrassed because it’s only been a few hours and I miss Junhoe so much. I even refused to eat because I didn’t have any appetite. Mrs. Kim looked worried and after much insistence, I gave in and ate a few spoonfuls of soup. 

 

I went into my room after I feigned being full just to appease Mrs. Kim. I figured out, if I just sleep, perhaps the time would go faster. 

 

I was tuck in my own bed but I remained awake. I closed my eyes but my mind was still on high alert. I tossed and turned but it only heightened my senses. All of a sudden, I found the tick of the clock every second deafening. I got off my bed and walked out of my room. Mrs. Kim might have turned off all the lights but I see a few of Mr. Jung’s men roaming in the living room downstairs so I tiptoe across the hall. I entered the room I never attempted to enter before—Junhoe’s room. It was surprisingly unlocked, which didn’t make me feel like I was intruding. I went straight to his bed, not even bothering to look around. I lied down, inhaling his scent on his pillow and sheet and for a moment, it brought so much comfort. I found myself falling in deep sleep.

 

———

I woke up to the birds chirping outside. At first, I was a bit confused of where I was but I remembered that I decided to sleep in Junhoe’s room as night. I rose up from the bed and invited myself for tour around his room—something I didn’t get to do last night. 

 

His room was like a darker version of mine. The furnitures, sheets and curtains in my room were all white while his were all black. Like any other rooms in the house, there’s no television or phones. I’m surprised that he didn’t have a computer in his own room considering that his work had everything to do with technology and security. Perhaps he just preferred carrying around a laptop because it was more convenient. I walked over to his desk and smiled as I saw our framed picture—taken a few weeks ago— was sitting on top of his desk. I made a mental note to ask him for a copy as soon as he comes back.

 

I noticed that one of the drawers was slightly ajar. I tried

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter