Chapter 4

Confessions of an Uptown Girl

Secret Four: Romantic Date

“Alright, how about lunch being my treat?”

“Sorry to break it to you guys, but we can't.”

“Huh, why not?”

“Brenda hasn't talked to us for weeks.”

“Now that you mention it, so has Arron.”

All four people turned to WuZun, who was still awkwardly calm.

“You know something we don't don't you?”

“Depends on what you want to know.”

“Aren't I like your best buddy, WuZun?”

“Hey, we're all good buddies okay? Now spit it out.”

“Spit what out? My saliva?”

“Not that–ugh! Be a little serious here.”

“Just kidding. Geez, you guys take jokes too seriously.”

“TELL US ALREADY!”

“Arron called saying he has personal matters to attend to.”

Before any of them could utter a word, Cindy's phone rang.

“Hello? Brenda, where are you? Oh okay...”

She looked at the gang and mouthed 'Should I ask about Arron?' to which they shook their heads no, she nodded and continued to talk on the phone.

“Sorry..? You're not feeling good? Okay, get some sleep. Do you want me and Janice to visit you? No? OK, bye.”

She hung up and shook her head.

“What's wrong now?”

“Brenda says she's feeling unwell and can't make it with us. I wonder why.”

Then her phone vibrated, she saw that you sent her a text message.

“Sorry guys, but I've got to go. I just remembered my friend's birthday was today.”

“No problem, maybe next time then?”

“Yeah sure. See you later.”

Minutes later after she left, she bumped into Arron.

“What are you doing here?”

“I want to see her.”

“Does she know you're coming?”

“No, but she probably asked you right?”

“Yeah.”

“Can you do me a favor?”

“You want me to help you see Brenda right?”

“Yeah, just pretend you didn't know I was coming along with you.”

“Alright. I hope you guys make up.”

They made their way to your house and before they rang the doorbell, they stayed in front of the garage as Cindy called you.

“Hello?”

“I'm at your house, it's Cindy.”

“Oh, okay. I'm coming.”

“Okay, see you in a few.”

Arron looked at her and she nodded at him, pointing to the door.

“She's going to open it, so good luck!”

“Thanks.”

She got back into her Porsche and drove off as Arron walked up to your door and rang the doorbell. He could faintly hear you shout, “Coming!” and smiled. You open the door and was surprised to see him there and immediately tried to shut the door in his face, but he stopped you.

“Wait, Brenda Qian!”

You froze, utterly surprised that he still remembered you after so long. But you refused to believe it and wanted clarification.

“What did you say?”

“Can you let me in first? It's kind of cold out here.”

“Oh..sorry! Come on in.”

You let him in as he took of his shoes and walked to the nearest chair and tiredly sat in it while you locked the door shut and quickly walked into the kitchen.

“So, uhm, do you want something to drink?”

“Sure.”

“We've got green tea, hot chocolate, cocoa, water, cappuccino..”

“Hot chocolate with some marshmallows, please.”

“Coming right up!”

Within a span of five minutes, you managed to fix up two warm cups of sizzling hot chocolate with two marshmallows in each cup; setting them both on the counter as Arron waltzed in, sitting on the stool as he took a sip of his hot chocolate and smiled. You lost yourself staring at his captivating features: his nose, face, and those electrifying eyes that make you melt your heart away. He noticed that you were busying yourself looking at him so he smiled and took another sip, savoring the taste.

“It's just how I like it.”

“Huh?”

“I used to go to your house when we were little and make hot chocolate. Remember?”

“Oh yeah! And then we made a mess and refused to clean it up by ourselves.”

You shared a laugh with him, until it got eerily silent again. Shuffling your feet and twiddling your thumbs, you try to strike up a conversation, but nothing that you wanted to say could come out of you.

“Brenda?”

“Yeah?”

“I'm sorry.”

“Why are you apologizing?”

He slid off his chair and hugged you from behind as you gasped at the sudden contact.

“Arron?”

“Shh.”

You knew that was his way of saying, “Let's stay like this for a little longer.” So you slowly turned around and hugged him back, letting all your sadness out and filling the void in with happiness. He said something you couldn't catch, so he had to pinch your arm to get your attention.

“Ow! Why'd you do that for?”

“So that you know you're not dreaming.”

“That's sounds so cliché.”

He tipped your chin up to look at him as he held your face in his hands and kissed your lips lightly. It came to you as a great shock at first, but as you slowly got used to it; your arms started to unconsciously wrap themselves around his neck as you stood on your tiptoes. He broke off the kiss and chuckled lightly.

“Now do you believe me?”

“Y-you didn't have to go that far!” he snickered.

“You're just too cute! I couldn't resist.”

“So..what do you feel towards me?”

“If you're talking about GuiGui, she's just a friend and a little sister to me.”

“No, I get that. I meant–ugh how can I explain this?”

“If you can't say it, it's okay. I'll understand.”

“No, but–“

“Why don't you take a nap?”

“I just took one though.”

“Well then, go spend some time shopping with your friends.”

“Why?”

“Because we're going on a date, and it doesn't start until a couple of hours later.”

“D-date?! Since when?”

“Tonight. Now get dressed and go.”

“Oh, okay.”

You gulped down your hot chocolate and rushed up the stairs and into your room to tidy yourself up as Arron took a sticky note and a pen and starting writing on it, then he stuck it onto your empty cup as he finishes his and places it in your sink quietly.

“I'm going out for awhile, I've got a meeting with my brothers.”

“Okay! See you soon!”

“Yeah, see you!”

He left your house and hit the speed dial on his phone, which called each of his brothers, Cindy and Janice. They all simultaneously picked up on the first ring.

“Hello?”

“Okay guys, are we all ready?”

“Yeah, we're ready when you are.”

“Good. Quick double check. Report.”

“Table reserved for two.”

“Fireworks ready to go.”

“Driver, limo and chaperon. Check.”

“Good. Girls?”

“On our way to Brenda's for shopping.”

“Alright. We're all set. WuZun, mind giving me a ride?”

“No problem, I'll be right there.”

In about half and hour, WuZun, Cindy and Janice arrived in a BMV and Porsche respectively. Arron hopped into the passenger's seat beside WuZun and they drove off. Cindy honked twice on her car's horn as they waited for you to come out, which you eventually did. You wore a white knit top with a heart print tank dress, on top was a beige tab-sleeve drawstring shirtdress as a beige tiered beanie topped off your head. As you climbed into the backseat, the girls couldn't help but stare at you in awe through the rear mirrors. You inwardly cocked a brow as you awkwardly laughed at their reactions.

“What? Do I have something on my face?”

“No. You just look..."

“Stunning.”

“No, she's beautiful.”

“And y.”

“S-y? Me? Nuh uh.”

“Fine. You're...natural. You don't even need the slightest bit of make-up on you to make you look radiant.”

“And gorgeous too.”

“Thanks, guys. I love you so much.”

“Of course. We love you too, Brenda.”

“But it's not much compared to a certain someone.”

“Anyways, where are we going?”

“Shopping!”

“Ugh. I'm definitely not going to enjoy this.”

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

“Are you two done yet?”

“Almost done, just wait until Cindy's done paying for it then we can go.”

Soon to your relief, Cindy came over with heaps of shopping bags in both her sturdy hands.

“Okay let's go! We have to drop these off and you somewhere else. But you're top priority so these can wait.”

“Wait, where am I going?”

“To a very special place.”

“That sounds as cliché as it can get.”

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

The car came to an abrupt stop as an unknown yet familiarly handsome gentleman came your way. You unbuckled your seatbelt as he did a slight bow in front of you and your friends, gingerly smiling.

“Good evening, ladies. I'll be your chaperon for tonight.”

“Way to go out of your way to be a charmer, WuZun.”

“Anyways, we're leaving you in his hands, Brenda. So off you go.”

You stepped out as WuZun gracefully opened the car door and close it, waving to the girls as they drove off; probably to spend hours on end trying out those clothes that they bought earlier. You snickered at the thought and followed WuZun to a nearby limo, who opened the door for you to easily slip inside. He closed it firmly and walked over to the driver's seat and started driving.

“Something wrong?”

“Hmm? Oh no, it's nothing.”

After what seem like five minutes, maybe more, he got out and and escorted you into a large wealthy-looking banquet hall. The whole place was filled with tons of chandeliers, elegantly decorated carpet rugs, a flight of tarnished oakwood stairs and rooms that were either lounges, restaurants or hotel rooms. All classy and definitely first-class like. You followed WuZun as he disappeared through a crowd of middle-class people, much to your surprise. You finally arrived to a restaurant that barely had anyone dining here and you wondered why. Until you saw Calvin coming up to you, dressed as a waiter with his signature sunshine smile.

“In case you're wondering, someone has booked this entire area for the two of you.”

“Oh really? And who might that be?”

“Uh..that would be me.”

Your eyes widened as you realized why your girlfriends took you out shopping and the whole WuZun as a chaperon and Calvin as a waiter thing. And no wonder that sticky note seemed fishy. So this is the so-called special place they were all referring to. It almost felt like Wonderland but not quite. Especially with the romantic jazz music going off around the room. Calvin and WuZun excused themselves as you slowly walked up to Arron's table. Being the gentlemen he is, he pulled out the chair for you to sit in and pushed it back it once you seated yourself in it.

“So how is it so far?”

“What? My impression of this date?”

“Yeah. Good, bad, so-so?”

“Oh, it's good. Very good. How clever and cunning of you.”

“So, what do you want to eat?”

“Something simple will do.”

“Alright.”

He snapped his fingers as the waiters brought out the simplistic meal that he ordered ahead of time and set them neatly on the table with freshly made, fruity and nonalcoholic cocktails. Surprisingly it was meatloaf, French bread and baked potatoes. Blinking incredulously at the sight before you, you nervously glanced back and forth from Arron's warm smile to the food. You take a sip of that strawberry kiwi cocktail and your lips, savoring the taste.

“Wow. I never knew something like this could be made so..professionally.”

“Well now you do.”

“So what else do you have planned for me?”

“That, my dear Brenda, is a secret.”

“Tell me.”

“No.”

“Please?”

“Nope, but nice try though. Almost had me there for a second. Now, let's eat!”

You dig into your meal happily, eating in silence as you share your food with him and blush at the intimate actions. As you finish dinner and wrap things up, Arron pays for the bill as you give the waiters extra tips. Arron rushes over to you and gently holds your hand and smiles, helping you out of your chair.

“Close your eyes.”

“Why?”

“I want to show you something. No peeking.”

“Okay. I promise I won't.”

Getting up from your seat, you follow Arron as he led the way outside to a park blocks away. It was pretty fancy with a crystal-clear water fountain; brightly lit night lamps everywhere; an enormous five foot deep swimming pool; and a small patio right beside it.

“You can open them now.”

You slowly pried open each eye as you gasped in utter amazement at the scenery.

“Oh my word...it's beautiful!”

“Just for you.”

You hugged him and cried tears of happiness as Arron mentally starting a countdown.

Five..four..three..two..

He pulled you into a passionate kiss as fireworks went off into the air with a loud bang. After what seems like hours, he broke the kiss and grinned; kissing your forehead as you both turned to enjoy the evening's fireworks. A cute heart fireworks exploded into the dimly lit night sky as it said something but you couldn't exactly see what it said, until Arron lifted you up high in the air. Two faces popped out of the blue, one turning around to kiss the other. As they blushed, the heart disappeared and was replaced by a cloud; revealing more words that made you gasp. It says:

'I love you now and forever Brenda. Will you be my girlfriend?'

“Can you see what it says?”

You nodded your head happily as he brought you down on your feet.

“Then..do you believe my feelings for you now?”

“Y-yes!”

“Is that a yes for both those questions?”

“Why'd you have to ruin the moment like that?”

“Just kidding! You know I love you.”

“I love you too.”

He sneakily slipped an engagement ring on your finger and kissed you again.

“When did you get this?”

“Secret~!”

“Tell me!”

“Not until we're married.”

“W-what?”

“You're so cute you know.”

“I'm so going to get you for this!”

You pushed him into the pool, but unluckily for you, he managed to grab onto your wrist in time; pulling you down with him as you fell down with a huge splash. You emerged from the depths of the water and shakily stood up, splashing water at Arron as he tries to shield his face from the impact. After half an hour, Arron led the way back to the main entrance; albeit soaked through from head to toe. The rest of the gang were waiting for you both; waving at you in the parking lot. Janice was the first one to interrogate you about your date.

“So how was it?”

“It was okay.”

“What? After all we did for you, it was just an 'okay'?”

“I knew it! You were behind it after all!”

“You did that just to trick me? How could you?”

“I could be asking the same thing to you two. Not to mention the guys too.”

“Let's call it a night and leave. I'm feeling sleepy already.”

As you drove off for the night, you fell asleep in the car. And once you reached your villa, the girls had to hauled you out and get you inside into your room and onto your bed. They helped you change out of your soaking wet clothes and tucked you in bed with the blankets wrapped tightly around you. Unconsciously, you smiled as you were having quite a good dream. Cindy and Janice looked at you weirdly.


“She must be dreaming of her fiancé, huh?”

“Probably. Want to sleep at your place or stay here?”

“I'll opt to stay at your place.”

They silently left the room and drove off to Cindy's place for a little sleepover. You turned around and hugged your bolster tightly and kissed it, thinking it was Arron. You snuggled into it a bit more as you mumbled “I love you.” to it and finally fell asleep.