Chapter 3

Confessions of an Uptown Girl

Secret Three: Forgotten?

“Are you sure we should wake her up like this?”

The question at hand was directed to Arron, who shrugged as Cindy flipped out her own phone, a Luxury Silver Sony Ericsson W705a slide, and started punching in Brenda's phone number.

“Well, you two still owe us a favor for barging in on us last time.”

“Uh huh.”

“And besides, Brenda is late anyway so a morning wake up call wouldn't hurt.”

After a couple of rings, “SORRY SORRY” starting playing in the background. Cindy sighed as Janice burst out laughing, while Arron grinned like a Cheshire cat.

“Nice ringtone, huh?”

“Y-yeah! OMG Super Junior is just–ahahaha!”

“She's extremely obsessive with them. In a good way.”

The song stopped indefinitely, followed by a “We're sorry, the person you're trying to contact is unavailable. Please try again later.” which later changed into French; Cindy ended the call before it could repeat itself twice.

Oh the irony.

“Sleepyhead.”

“That's a new phone right?”

“Yeah, what about it?”

“Well, her phone has caller ID right? So..”

“Damn, I forgot about that.”

Arron smiled, amused by the entertainment he's getting. The girls turned around and eyed him suspiciously, who returned an innocent look on his face.

“What? I'm sure she'll call you back.”

“Sure she will, whenever that is.”

“Right about..now.”

In a matter of minutes, her phone rang, playing “G.O.O.D Luv”.

Now that's creepy.

Cindy stared wide eyed at her phone, her eyes darted back and forth from Janice's priceless WTF face to Arron's sheepish grin.

“What? I didn't do anything.”

“Hurry up and answer it!”

“Shut up! I will, sheesh.”

Pressing the answer button, she cleared and spoke in a hushed voice.

“Hello?”

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

You stirred in your sleep as your phone goes off unnoticed. Well, not until you started to mumble along to the “SORRY SORRY” song. Sleepily, you stretched out your arm and reached for the phone on the drawer. You slightly flicked open one eye as you take a closer look at your phone, a Rouge Pink Sony Ericsson T715.

'Oh, it stop ringing.'

You scanned through your call list and noticed that you missed a call because you couldn't help but sing along to Super Junior. Squinting ever so slightly, you take note of the caller's number, which wasn't listed in your contacts database yet. You rubbed your eyes with your free hand as you added the number into your phone and decided to call back.

“What was the number again? Hm..”

After a quick skim down on the call list, you found the number and starting dialing it: 427 546 7349. Unexpectedly, a “G.O.O.D Luv” ringtone went off as your eyes widen in realization. Groaning and mentally kicking yourself in the head, you realized that Cindy broke her old phone a few weeks ago and got a new one; which you asked (scratch that, forced is the right word) her to set one of your favorite MBLAQ songs as her ringtone.

A hushed voice over the receiver snapped you out of your thoughts.

“Hello?”

“Mm..morning Cindy.”

“Don't you know what time it is?”

“Uh..am I missing out on something?”

“Look at your bedside clock, Brenda.”

You did so, and as you saw what it said; you unraveled a horrifying, blood-curling scream while Cindy kept her phone five meters away from her fragile ears.

“Holy [insert swear word of your choice here] ! It's this frigging late already?! I'm so dead.”

You frantically ran laps around your house and into your walk-in closet, quickly digging out the closest thing that resembled some sort of clothing and rushed to the bathroom and threw it on, not really caring about perfecting looks at the moment; because you're late for that important photo shoot taking place in twenty minutes plus filming right after that. Hurrying out the door, you quickly grab your house keys, your Coach tote bag and ran outside to board the public transit.

“Oh, and Brenda?”

“Yeah?”

“Don't take the bus, we're right behind you.”

“Huh?”

You turn around to see your two girlfriends waving at you in their passionate red Porsche as you stood there gaping at them with your jaw hanging. You absentmindedly hung up your phone and slid it nicely into your bag as Cindy sat in the driver's seat listening to her phone, which was now a Walkman phone on the go, drumming her fingers on the steering wheel whilst the car itself was on park mode. Janice quickly got out of the car and forcefully dragged you into the back seat. You came back to reality as soon as you sat in the comfortable leather-cushioned backseat.

“How did you get enough money to buy a Porsche?”

“Well, most of the funding came from Arr–ouch!”

“It's from the NT$50, 000 cash reward from that contest that Brenda entered two months ago.”

“Yep. And that tote bag is a gift from our savings, plus a bit of the prize money.”

“Oh..thanks. So uhm, aren't we late for that photo shoot?”

“Nope, that was just to get you out of bed. But we're kind of late for the filming so let's go!”

As the car shifted from park to reverse to drive mode, it kicked into ignition and drove off to your destination.

Gig Harbor High School – the new Sheng Ying School.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

“You sure are late.”

“Sorry, it won't happen again!”

Arron passed you a water bottle.

“Thanks.”

“No problem, we can't have our co-star get tired just yet.”

“Alright guys! Five minute break and we'll start filming on set!”

Everyone moved into the backstage hallway and inside the dressing rooms to get changed and reapply makeup. As you slouched into your comfy leather chair, a hairstylist came over and started to work her magic away on your hair. While getting it done, you stole a quick glance at Arron, who was sweating a little and continued to practice his lines for the upcoming scenes. He took a break, relaxing in his armchair as he sipped some water; you watched intently until you quickly turned away to avoid him from noticing you. Unfortunately, the stylist exposed you dead on.

“Echo, please don't move while I'm adding highlights in your hair.”

“Yes, Qiu Mei, stop giving the stylist trouble and be a little more cooperative.”

After half an hour passed, the stylist added some finishing touches to your face. A tinge of the faintest pink blush on your cheeks with a bit of light brownish eye shadow, matched with creamy black mascara and raspberry lip gloss that wasn't too thick. All waterproof and lasting up to approximately two days max. Your hair was let down from its usual messy jet black ponytail and was straightened to have a silky smooth effect, as there were strands of brown highlights mixed with some of your natural black to create a young yet classy look: newly-rich yet slightly feminine – not overly too girly at all. Arron came over for a peek and was knocked breathless at the sight of your reflection in the mirror, you were just that gorgeous. You shifted uncomfortably in your seat as you could feel his eyes bore a hole behind you.

“I look really embarrassing, right?”

“Of course not, you look absolutely stunning. So much it's blinding me.”

Your cheeks slowly flushed a deep red as you sink in his compliment, turning away abruptly in hopes of being unnoticed. However to your dismay, he saw every little thing and it made him laugh happily inside even more.

“You okay, Brenda?”

“N-no! I'm fine. Let's practice our lines.”

“Okay. Let's start from the beginning when we first meet each other at school.”

However, a quick knock sounded at the door.

“Arron, Brenda? You're up in five minutes.”

“Got it. We'll be there in just a sec. You ready?”

“Whenever you're good to go.”

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

“Alright everyone in their places! Start at the break up scene. On the count of three!”

Everyone got into their respective positions as countdown went down to one, and a quick yell of “Action!” from the director himself. The cameramen focused the cameras on you, Arron and GuiGui as the filming begun.

Li Xiao Xing happily skipped her way to the school's main entrance as her handsome genius of a boyfriend Zhan She De absentmindedly followed closely behind her. She accidentally tripped on a rock and fell forward, expecting the painful fall to happen yet it didn't. When she opened her eyes, her face was only centimeters away from his as he pulled her up.

“Be careful. Next time I won't be so lucky to catch you.”

“Alright, I'll be a good girl and not cause so much trouble for you, 007.”

His girlfriend was just too happy-go-lucky for her own good. He knew they should've taken the route in from the back door, just to avoid grabbing so much attention like they're doing now. He hugged her close to him as the crowd squeezed in closer and tried striking a conversation with them. Boys with Li Xiao Xing and girls with Zhan Shi De.

“Li Xiao Xing / Zhan Shi De tongxue! Please go out with me!”

“I'm not handing her / him over to you!”

Girls and guys alike starting bickering and fighting against one another over the couple as Zhan Shi De took the chance to slip away from the commotion and made quick eye contact with his girlfriend, who got the hint as they started fleeing into the school.

“She's / He's mine!”

“No mine!”

“Uh no, mine!”

You stepped into the scene, flicking back some hair with your hand as you stopped in front of the crowd, who suddenly stopped their fighting and stared at you. You scowled and glared at each and every one of them menacingly.

“Could you move, please? You're in the way.”

Immediately, they created a path for you to walk through as the girls stood single-file on one end and the boys on the other. You walk past them aimlessly, smiling as you look over your shoulder, muttering a quick “Thanks.” before continuing your way to the main entrance. They stared back at you in shock, glancing back and forth to each other before gathering around and chatting in hushed voices.

“Whoa, who was that chick?”

“You mean you don't know?”

“She's that new transfer student!”

“I heard she's his ex-girlfriend!”

“Impossible!”

“Aren't they cousins?”

“I heard she's got a cousin complex with him.”

“WHAT SERIOUSLY?!”

“Shh!”

They cautiously glanced towards your direction as you happily greeted your cousin while trying to resist the urge to strangle the mysterious girl who was clinging onto his arm, who gingerly smiled sweetly at you.

“Hi, I'm Li Xiao Xing!”

She had her hand out, expecting to shake yours but you ignored her.

“Hey, Shi De, Since when did you get a girlfriend?”

“You already know the answer to that.”

“Giving people the cold shoulder, as always.”

“Time to go, I'll see you at the meeting.”

“Okay! See you later, 007!”

“Let's talk somewhere private.”

“There's a zero to none chance that I'm going to get him now.” One of the girls sighed aloud.

“Same.”

“Hey, wait. What exactly did he mean by 'private'?”

“GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER, YOU !”

“W-what did I do? I don't even know what it means...”

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x

“Who was that girl? Why was she clinging onto you like glue? Didn't you miss me at all? What the hell am I to you?!”

“We're not playing ten questions.”

“I don't care about that! Just answer me!”

“She answered the first one, you knew the second one..and yes I did miss you. But not in that way.”

“What do you mean, 'not in that way'?! Don't you know a girl's feelings for you?”
[What are you talking about? Don't you know that I love you?]

“Qiu Mei, we're cousins.”
[I can't love you.]

“So what? That won't stop me from loving you.”
[I'll still keeping loving you. Even if it breaks me.]

“What will make you stop?”

Silence.

“Kiss me.”

He froze, staring at you as you tiptoed your face close to his; your lips brushing against his as you kissed him. Tears trickled down your cheeks as you savored the moment, hugging him tightly as he unconsciously hugged you back. But after a few seconds, he came to his senses and pushed you away as you looked at him, broken.

“You got what you wanted. So leave.”
[I can't do this. I'm sorry.]

“Tell me, is she more important to you than I am?”
[You don't remember me anymore?]

“Yes.”

He turned away sharply as you hugged him tightly from behind.

“I won't let her steal you away from me, because you belong to me and no one else. I'll make sure it stays that way..forever.”

SLAP!

“Zhan Shi De. I'll remember this!”
[I hate you. I HATE YOU!]

You flung open the door and ran outside, crying hot tears. He hesitated for a minute before decided to run after you. But you already disappeared.

The director yelled, “Cut!” once last time, signaling the end of filming. Everyone dispersed into the dressing rooms for the day as he heard the director compliment Brenda's superb acting skills. Arron headed back into the dressing room to find that you weren't there anymore. He rushed out and coincidentally bumped into GuiGui.

“Hey, that was awesome!”

“Yeah, I guess so.”

“She took it to heart, didn't she?”

“Don't worry! I'm sure you'll find her soon.”

“Yeah.”

However, there was only one thing ringing inside his head about you.

I'm sorry.

x-x-x-x-x-x-x

You sat on the bed with a loud thump as you thought over Arron's indirect confession of his love for you, which brought the tears back.

Again.

“I can't believe he's forgotten about me. After all these years.”

You glanced at a photo of you and Arron that was taken back when you were kids, encased in a glass picture frame. It held all those happy memories, from getting ice cream to getting presents to the day he left for Taiwan. You picked it up and ran your fingers against the glass, against his picture and smiled bitterly; hugging it tightly as you place it face down on your drawer beside the alarm clock. You removed the necklace that was a farewell gift from him a long time ago, and stashed it away in your drawer that was filled with most of the other gifts he gave you. Shutting off the lights, you slid into bed as you cried yourself to sleep, dreaming of a dream that couldn't come true.

Or can it?