Seulgi's Courage

Patient Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

Throughout her whole life, Kang Seulgi has never thought of marriage. At all. She is that person who enjoys living single; coming home to the emptiness in her apartment, laying in complete silence at night, eating takeouts alone, having some wine at Friday night alone. Just alone. Nobody would nag on her lazy on Sunday for not dusting her bed covers or neglecting her laundry. Nobody would scold her for coming home completely wasted after a wild Saturday night. She just loves being alone.

Seulgi comes from a quite traditional family. Her family and relatives already pushed her for marriage at her age now, which is 25. She feels so burdened, of course, with her state of mind who completely put marriage in the bottom of her list. When Seulgi came out to her family, it wasn’t much of a problem.

There were relatives she needed to talk to because they wouldn’t accept Seulgi as a same- loving creature because thought being gay means no marriage. Just because of MARRIAGE, there was a fuss. Dammit, Seulgi has enough of it. But now her entire family doesn’t care anymore, as long as she gets to marry someone.

Ah yes, her family is very marriage oriented.

Questions about girlfriend or marriage plan always flying out of her relatives and mom’s mouths everytime they have a family meeting. What’s wrong with enjoying being single and independent? She thinks. Her family talking about marriage as if she would die if she didn’t marry. Come on, that is so last century.

“Seulgi, when are you going to introduce us to your girlfriend?”

A question like this or similar to this is what Seulgi loathes so badly.

“I don’t have a girlfriend.” Is what her answer will always be.

There is a reason why Seulgi put her marriage last in her list. It’s because of love. The concept of ‘the one’ is a complete bull for her. For Kang Seulgi, love is just another tale in the fairy world. It is nothing but a story parents say to their kids. Just like those unicorns and rainbows.

It’s not that she hasn’t experienced relationships, in fact she has done like a hundred of it. None of them worked out and she is just tired. Tired of searching, tired of being hurt, tired of wasting her damn time. In her mind, not everyone is destined to have the love of their life. Some people are destined to live their life alone, not everyone is destined to have an other half. Some people are meant to die alone.

Seulgi has accepted the fact that she is one of those people, and living single doesn’t seem to be a problem for her.

 

---------------

 

It was that one bad day for Seulgi at the office. You know that kinda day when bad things happen once you wake up. That happened to Seulgi today. She broke her favorite coffee cup this morning, then she slipped in the bathroom, her key fell into the drain in front of her apartment, suddenly there’s a big hole on her favorite jacket and et cetera. Seulgi knew today will be a bad day, she huffed while hopping on her bike, putting her helmet on and drove to work.

 

Unlucky things proceed to happen at her office. Her boss scolded her badly. She lost her lunch money, and she spilled her coffee again on her paperwork, which she had to redo them and caused her an overtime. She was so ed that her best colleagues, Minho and Namjoon, couldn’t rescue her for these ups.

 

Seulgi was having a mental break down on her desk. Her head was laid on her arms on the table, she was staring blankly at the clock on her wall; it says 6 pm in the evening. She was supposed to be out and done with her work at four, but because of her clumsiness that includes spilling her americano on her contract draft from her boss, she had to redo them.

Her mind travelled to an event that happened two days ago. Her wife wanted a divorce. The memory of Joohyun saying she wants a divorce replayed in her mind like a broken record. Seulgi started to get annoyed and squeezed her eyes shut, groaning and straightening her back on her seat. She yawned and pulling her arms up into a stretch when suddenly her phone dings. A message from her best friend, Seungwan.

Seungwannie: I know this is so sudden, but can you accompany me for a drink at the bar? My treat!

Finally, a perfect timing for a saving. Seulgi’s face lights up and type on her answer, “Okie. I’ve just done with my work. I’ll head there in a jiffy.”

With that, Seulgi quickly gathered her things, tidy up her desk and making a beeline towards the elevator. She didn’t forget to put on her helmet before riding her way to the bar with her bike, which took her ten minutes to get there.

Seungwan was already waiting for her bestfriend at the bar. Two drinks already served, one for her and one for Seulgi of course. Seungwan was always that friend who knows Seulgi inside and out. They’ve been inseparable since they were in elementary school. Even though Seungwan, or Wannie is what Seulgi calls her, moved to Canada to pursue highschool and higher education, the two still stick with each other.

They managed to spare each other’s time for merely video calls or texts. Seulgi was sad though because her bestest friend had to leave to some country far away, because technically speaking, Seulgi wouldn’t last a week without Wannie’s advice. But there they are, still being the strongest pair.

“Hey Wan, sorry the traffic was bad, rush hour,” Seulgi greeted her best friend. She took off her leather jacket and her sling bag, she took a seat on an empty stool next to the brunette girl.

“S’okay, here, your drink. Negroni, as always,” Seungwan replied with a warm smile on her face. Sliding the glass towards the monolid girl.

Seulgi nodded a thank you and stirred the drink lightly by spinning the glass. She took a whiff of the fresh smell of the orange peel before taking a sip. “And good, as always.”

Seulgi then looked down at her drink in silence, finger tapping on the table and bouncing her knee. Seungwan sensed something from her bestfriend, then she chirped, “Hey, for a sunshine, you sure look dreadful today. A penny for your thoughts, Kang?”

The monolid girl took a deep breath, another sip on her drink and turned her head to look at Seungwan with puppy eyes. She bit her lower lip, with knee still bouncing with nerves, before finally confessing to Seungwan.

“Wannie, Joohyun..wants..um, a divorce,” she stated, then looking down again. She ran her finger along the wet brim of her glass.

Seungwan’s eyes widened in surprise before she blinked rapidly. She took a few seconds to process her bestfriend’s words.

“But why? I thought you guys are working it out..”

“I don’t know, Wan. I ed up I guess. The look on her face, she was sad. Hurt,” Seulgi explained.

She took another sip before continuing, “It was a few days ago, our one month’s marriage. I went home with a bouquet of flowers and a Tiffany’s for a token of gratitude, I selfishly thought things would get better after this. I gave her those and she gifted me back with a divorce paper.”

“..Wow. That explains why you look..very...dreadful,” The brunette commented.

Sungwan of course knew the story of Seulgi’s marriage. The awkwardness, the lack of communication, et cetera. Seulgi always said that she thought Joohyun doesn’t like her because Joohyun’s words are always so careful and short. But she didn’t think that way.

She knew all along that the factor has always been from her bestfriend. Seulgi is shy and a bit oblivious. Seungwan knows that Joohyun has been the one who always initiates the move or has always been the one who always cares about Seulgi.

But Seungwan never had the heart to tell this to her bestfriend, because when it comes to marriage, it’s time for Seulgi to figure things out for her own, since she has always been a dependant to Seungwan’s words of advice. Seungwan thought it’s time for Seulgi to learn how to treat someone, how to appreciate her own partner because Seungwan knows Seulgi’s dating history.

Like

Please log in to read the full chapter