Prologue

Patient Love
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

 

It has been almost a month since Seulgi is married to Bae Joohyun. A woman she never knew before, a total stranger that was brought to her to be introduced by her mother. She is three years older than her, very dainty with a very preserved personality. She is beautiful indeed; smooth alabaster skin with a face that put Aphrodite to shame. Her soft voice that could bring peace to the world, delicate and graceful gestures like a ballerina.

 

Almost a month but they still don’t know how to act around each other. Everyday there’s only small talks. Everytime Seulgi tries to look into Joohyun’s eyes, she always looks away. Everytime she asks Joohyun something, her answer is always short and sounds insincere. Because of that, Seulgi thinks that Joohyun doesn’t like her, that Seulgi probably asks too much question that it annoys her. Everytime they are in the same room, it’s always awkward. Everytime they lay in the bed at night, backs always facing each other. Seulgi is confused how to act, and Joohyun just stays silent. They are barely conversing, barely communicating.

 

Kang Seulgi froze like a statue when she came home to her hometown about two and a half months go, only to find her beloved mother breaking a news to her that they already got a marriage plan for her. She was pissed, she didn't know what to do. They did it without her consent, moreover without any discussions first. Seulgi didn't understand, what caused her mother to break down a very important news just like that. She is a an adult, she can choose her own life path. Sure, her mother was quite traditional, but an arranged marriage? That was damn ridiculous. It's the 21st century, for God's sake. She could give her time to find a wife first, not like this.

 

"What do you mean marriage?" Seulgi asked, a hint of anger was clear painted across her face.

 

She wanted to run away, she regretted coming back home.

 

"Seulgi, it was your father's last wish..." said the mother. Her voice was weak, a little bit shaky. She looked into Seulgi's eyes, begging for her daughter's understanding.

 

Seulgi's eyes starting to water, she remembered how her father said he wanted to see her getting married before he died, but he never did because Seulgi chose to stay away from love all her life. So before her father died, he told Seulgi and her mother that Seulgi has to get married. She has to.

 

Part of her wanted to just say yes and make her mom happy, but the other part of her wanted to rebel and snap at her mother how her decision wasn’t fair at all. She was torn, so torn that she got stressed out for almost a week.

 

Then, she remembered how her father was a very prudent man, she loved and respected her father so much. All her life she wanted nothing but joy for her father. How she was her father's daughter growing up and how her father supported her and accepted her as who she is until the day he died. Her father was her whole support system.

 

A week later Seulgi came out with an answer. Her heart hurt, but she needed to forbear her feelings for the sake of her father. She knew her father would be so disappointed at her up there.

 

It was one beautiful Thursday morning, Seulgi was walking to the kitchen where her mother was. Greeting a weak good morning before she suddenly said, "I accept the marriage."

 

Two months later and there she was, standing in the altar with the woman that she would spend her life with. A total stranger, emptiness was clear in her eyes when she said 'I do', while Seulgi was more of a half-hearted at saying it. Even when the pastor said that she may kiss the bride, she didn't, only a soft peck on the cheek near . Nothing personal.

 

She only met her wife a few times before their wedding, for family bonding and wedding preparations. They never even spoke about their personal life. Seulgi was scared she would bother her if she asked too much, and she thought Joohyun herself didn't really have the interest to open up. Maybe if Seulgi wasn't such a coward they would know each other a tiny better now, just maybe.

 

That is something Seulgi regrets, not having enough courage to coax her wife to talk. For almost a whole month living together, sleeping in the same bed, they only talk about how is each other's day going, so much small talks that don't really go anywhere. Greeting good mornings, eating breakfast in silence, then Seulgi will go to work while Joohyun works at home. No kisses or goodbyes.

 

Then in the evening, Seulgi will come home from work, no sound of her wife saying 'welcome home' because it was never a home for her. Dinner already prepared in the kitchen, wrapped in a plastic cling, then Seulgi has to reheat her meal in the microwave. After that she will shower and find her wife already asleep, facing the other side.

 

And that is everyday for Seulgi and Joohyun, for almost a month.

 

                                       ****

 

Today is the 23rd of October, which means that it’s exactly one month that Seulgi and Joohyun got married. Seulgi has been feeling uneasy all day at work, she bounces her legs a lot, tapping the pen and just feeling anxious all over. She is confused on what to get for Joohyun for her present. She doesn’t really have to, but she just wants to give Joohyun a present for a token of gratitude towards her wife. She even asks her colleagues, Minho and Namjoon, for their opinions for it. Minho says flower, and Namjoon says necklace.

 

“Dammit,” Seulgi mutters under her breath while her finger scrolls through a Tiffany & Co. catalogue online. Her other hand tapping on her work desk, her upper row teeth biting on her bottom lip.

 

“Jesus Christ, Kang Seulgi. Are you still looking for that present to give to your wife?” Minho says, letting himself into Seulgi’s office, dropping

Please log in to read the full chapter