Chapter 3/?

One More Time

Another week passed just like that. I just came from a board meeting and planned on launching a new product line next year. I was sitting inside my office when a loud voice echoed from outside.

“Appa!~” Seungjae yelled.

I loosened my necktie and took a deep breath. “Superman mode, here we go.”

I smiled as soon my office door turned wide open. My beaming child ran into me as soon as he saw me. I hugged and lifted him and turned my gaze to my wife who entered the room as well.

“How was your day?” I asked them.

“My friends and I played hide and seek at the playground today! It was so much fun!” Seungjae eagerly replied.

Yangim just gave me a smile.

Truth be told, they are here because she needs to leave for tonight. Her team will be heading north to examine a site for their ongoing research. It is just gonna be me and Seungjae for the next three days.

 “The Superman team will arrive in an hour, do you want to have dinner together first?” I asked her.

She walked towards us and said, “I would love to but I really have to get to the university by nine. You and Seungjae should eat together. Seungjae-yah, have fun with daddy, okay? Play well and don’t fight.”

I just nodded and gave her a peck before she walked out the room.

Seungjae was still waving bye-bye as I asked, “What do you want to eat, Seungjae-yah?”

He put his finger under his chin as if he’s thinking hard. “I want pizza~” he said.

I agreed to his request and so we dialed for a pizza delivery. As we wait, he told me stories about what happened at school and how his friends and he played.

We were still chatting when the food arrived and soon after, the superman team came too.

They let us eat our dinner as they fix their equipment for filming. Seungjae greeted everyone and offered them his pizza.

While Seungjae plays with the staff, the PD approached me.

“Are you ready to be Superman, Jiyong-ssi?” he asked.

I smiled at his question. Every time, for almost two years now, before we start filming, he asks the same question.

“Yes, like always.” I replied.

“By the way, we already coordinated with YG and they are letting us to visit them tomorrow. Please prepare for it too. I’m sure Seungjae is excited to finally meet his uncles.” he told.

I laughed at his last sentence. Seungjae was really ecstatic about meeting his uncles especially after the call with Sunghoon. He kept asking me about his Yeppeun Samchon and when he can meet him this whole time.

“And Jiyong-ssi… If it is okay to ask. I like to know why you haven’t allowed Seungjae to meet them this whole time. I mean there were a lot of possible chances. Haven’t they showed interest in meeting Seungjae before?”

With his question, I suddenly felt guilty. Suwon always asked me about my son. Even before the reunion, he talks to me about visiting my family and such but I just… I don’t know. Did I reject him? Did I ignore him back then?

“Back then, I just don’t want to expose Seungjae to the life I had before. He was too young to be everyone’s center of attention. Maybe I was just scared that the public eyes will be on me – on us. And yet this happened, right? I think I dragged this meeting for too long already. And you can also say, that this is my way of showing my members that I am still here for them, me and my family.”

The PD gave me a warm smile and a pat on my back. “I am glad to hear that. Thank you for letting our show be the medium of this event too. We’ll make tomorrow an unforgettable memory for everyone, especially for our young crystal.”

Young Crystal? I have seen fans call Seungjae that. They call him baby crystal, Jekki Junior and other terms related to the group and it actually makes me happy. I felt like they welcome Seungjae as a part of us and treasure him as much as they treasured me before. I cannot thank them enough for that.

After our little chat, we went our way back to my house. It was past nine and Seungjae should be sleeping already but just like every night, he’s still full of energy as if he hasn’t played all day long.

“Seungjae-yah, let’s wash up and sleep.” I called to him.

“I don’t want to. Let’s play a little more~” He replied and continued playing with his animal figures.

I heaved a sigh. I am so tired already. How do I make him sleep?

“Ko Seungjae, didn’t you want to meet your singer uncles? We will be going to meet them tomorrow and if you didn’t wash up and sleep now, I’ll just cancel it. We will just be at home the whole day tomorrow.”

And just like that, he started to whine and cry. “No! Appa!”

He made his way into the bathroom and undress himself. He went up to the sink and washed his face. His face was still tear-stained but he rinse them with soap and water. I smiled as I watch him do things on his own. When did he grow up like this?

After washing and dressing up, he immediately went to his bed and closed his eyes. He didn’t even wait for me to do things for him.

“Seungjae-yah, are you sleeping?” I asked as I lie next to him.

He tightly closed his eyes and I knew he was pretending. I silently laughed and kissed him on his forehead. “Good night, my crystal.”

I woke up at the feeling of someone tugging my side.

“Appa, wake up now. We should take a bath and eat breakfast already!” Seungjae repeatedly told as I am still half-asleep.

“Seungjae-yah, give me ten more minutes. Play with your toys first.” I mumbled. My body feels so heavy. Can I really survive this day?

“Eh, Appa! We were meeting my uncles, right? What if they are already waiting for us? We should not keep them waiting.” He told and continued tugging my blanket.

I laughed at his sentiment. I think that retort made me awake now.

“Appa, why are you laughing? They must be waiting. Let’s go, already!” He told again.

I laughed again as his both brows creased showing his annoyance.

“Seungjae-yah, your uncles are still sleeping right now. Believe me, they’re still in their pajamas and in deep slumber. So, we should just sleep too.”

He didn’t say anymore words and left me inside the room. I am really sure that those guys are still sleeping. It’s eight in the morning but I think that they worked till dawn earlier. So we must not interrupt their rest, right?

I didn’t sleep any longer so I get up from bed and find Seungjae. He was in the sofa while talking to the cameramen in their tents.

I asked him what he wants to eat for breakfast and replied that he likes cereals today so we ate it together. Soon after, we fixed ourselves and are ready to go. He was screaming excitedly as we walk to the carpark.

“Seungjae-yah, we shouldn’t visit your uncles, empty-handed, right? What do you want to give them as presents?” I asked him as I started driving.

“I don’t know, Appa. They are your friends so you should what they like.” He answered.

I laughed at him again for telling me so. “Your uncles like expensive things, Seungjae.”

“Ah! You said that they are working now? Should we give them food so they won’t be hungry while working?”

Just like what he said, we went to get food for my hardworking friends. While at it, Seungjae saw a banana-flavored, fondant cake.

“Appa, let’s buy this too!” he said.

It’s funny that the cake he chose somewhat resemble a yellow balloon. Does Seungjae knows that it’s a Sechskies symbol?

After getting the food, we continued our journey to YG headquarters.

“Seungjae, are you excited to meet your uncles today?” I asked.

“Yes, I can’t wait to play with them!” he said and beamed.