Chapter 2/?

One More Time

Just like most of the Fridays I have in almost two years, I am now with Seungjae as we start filming for the show. I just fetched him from kindergarten and we are heading to some cafe to have our lunch.

“Appa, we sang and danced today at school!” He happily told as we start our ride.

I smiled at him through the mirror and said, “Really? Did you have fun at school today?”

He eagerly nodded his head and smiled heartily. “I love when I sing and dance with my friends. Teacher even told me that I am very good.”

 “Wow!~ You’re really enjoying school, Seungjae-yah. Can you sing me the song you sang today?”

He giggled upon hearing what I said. “I forgot the title but it goes like -- we’ve got something special!~ neodo aljahna uri yaksok~ Something special!~”

“Oh! I think I know that song too, Seungjae-yah.” I was taken aback when I heard him sing. They teach their song at kindergarten too? I didn’t know that.

Seungjae even moved his hands upwards and downwards and continued singing the part he remembered.

“Appa, I remembered something! Teacher told that your friends sing this song. Who are they?” He suddenly asked.

With his question, I started thinking about the guys again. Two days has passed since our last talk. In those two days, their words keep popping in my head. Even what Yangim said that morning bothered me ever since.

“Appa!~ I asked you a question. I said who are they?”

Kids can be really so impatient, sometimes.

“Do you remember that time when I appeared on TV before we started doing TROS?” I asked him.

He looked upwards as if he’s thinking hard. “Oh! That was when you sang and danced your song, right? The singer uncles sing this song too? So this song that teacher taught us was your song too, Appa? Wow!”

I laughed at his words. He’s very smart to draw a conclusion like that.

“No, Seungjae-yah. Something Special is a song that they sang when I was not with them. Singer uncles sing that song just recently.”

 His smile faded a bit. “But why? You should have sang it with them. It is a nice song, Appa. You should sing it too.”

At his reply, I remembered what Sunghoon told me that time.

“You should bring Seungjae along with you too.”

It seems like Seungjae might really enjoy visiting the recording studio now.

“Seungjae-yah, do you want to meet your singer uncles?” I asked him.

Upon hearing me, his eyes brighten up from before. “Really?! Can I see them for real? Are we going to meet them now?”

 Again, I laughed at his response. He is really one energetic child.

“Not now, Seungjae-yah. I will talk to them first and tell that you want to see them. They are also busy people so we should not hurry and disturb them.” I explained.

He nodded his head. “Is that so? Can we meet them tomorrow, then?”

“Seungjae-yah. What did I tell you about waiting? I know you’re excited but it is not easy to meet them, okay? I will tell you when we will go and see them but for now, you should wait.”

He quietly nodded and turned his head to the windows. I didn’t know that Seungjae can be this enthusiastic with the thought of seeing the guys. He never asked about them before. He just listens to our song and never really talked about them. This is the first time that he insisted meeting his singer uncles.

Before I knew it, we already arrived at our destination. I chose a kid’s café near our area for us to have lunch and him to play for a while.

After eating a pasta dish and strawberry juice, Seungjae immediately went to play with the other kids. The PD then told that we will be having a short break.

 I was sitting at a corner while drinking a cup of coffee when the PD approached me.

“We reviewed the footage in the car a while ago. You had an interesting conversation with Seungjae, Jiyong-ssi.” he opened the topic.

I shyly smiled at him. “Oh, you mean about the singer uncles?”

“Yes, that’s right. We are always open to the idea of inviting them to the show even before. You are the one who’s always wary of it back then, did you change your mind now?” he asked.

I took another sip from my coffee as he said those. What he told was true. Even before we started filming back then, the production always tell about inviting Sechskies to the show. It is not like I disagree to the idea but I am just cautious of how will people react. What happened recently also didn’t help the very idea of us being seen in public. I just don’t like other people to think that we’re taking advantage of each other. But then again, what Yangim told that time lingered in me. Those things are just trivial. It is not like we’re hurting people by just meeting, right?

“Is it really possible to invite them to the show, PD-nim?” I finally asked.

He gave me a knowing smile as if he’s saying ‘I know this time will come.’

“We will coordinate immediately to their agency. They’ll be having a promotions in a few weeks so I think it won’t be that hard to invite them now. It’s a win-win situation, don’t you think?”

I smiled at what he said. Before resuming our filming, he reassured me that they will really start planning about contacting the agency later today. He even said that we’re going to have a hit episode with it too.

After playing the whole day, we went home tired. Thankfully, we already had dinner so the only problem now is to make Seungjae sleep on time. It’s already past eight in the evening and I am sitting by the dining table and checking some emails on my laptop while Seungjae is playing at the sofa with his toy dinosaurs.

“Seungjae-yah, I will just get something in the car. Just keep playing with your dinosaurs, okay?” I told him.

He said yes in a sing-song tone and didn’t even bother to look at me. I hurriedly went out the door and get the bag I left in the car’s compartment.

By the minute I came back, Seungjae is holding my phone and talking to someone through a video call.

“Seungjae-yah, who are you talking to?” I asked as I approached him.

“Oh, Samchon. Appa is here already.” He said to the camera then turned to me, “Appa, he said that he is your friend. I told that you just went outside.” and gave me the phone.

“Oh? Sunghoon-ah?” Kang Sunghoon was the one on the call.

“Seungjae-yah, he’s one of your singer uncles. Did you say hello to him?” I turned to Seungjae as I focused the camera to the both of us.

“Hello! I am Ko Seungjae.” he greeted formally and bowed to the camera.

“Hello, Seungjae-yah. I am Kang Sunghoon, your dad’s friend.” Sunghoon replied to him with a ready smile.

“Why did you suddenly call, Sunghoon-ah? We’re filming the show right now.” I asked him.

He keeps smiling at Seungjae while I am talking. “I am at the company right now. We just finished a meeting and one of the people here stated that your show contacted us. I am just curious if you know about something It.” he explained.

I was surprised to hear that the production really contacted them this early.

“Oh, about that. The PD and I were just discussing that a while ago. Seungjae here learned about your recent song and he asked if he can meet you guys.” I stated.

“Oh? Samchon, you are the singer that dad is telling me? Appa, is he really a singer?” Seungjae asked both of us.

Sunghoon giggled at Seungjae’s action. “Seungjae-yah, do you want Samchon to sing for you?”

Upon hearing Sunghoon, Seungjae shyly smiled and moved away from the camera.

“Ko Seungjae, don’t you want to listen to him sing?” I asked him.

“Seungjae-yah, I saw you sang our song a few times in videos. You can sing with me if you want to.” Sunghoon encouraged him.

Seungjae slowly get back his attention on us and with that Sunghoon counted in three and sang, “Oh love~ wae ijesoya? mani weropdeon nareul chajaon geoya~” in the middle Seungjae sang along with him too.

“Appa, you should sing along with us too~”

I just laughed and joined them too. “Oh love~ neoreul saranghae! ije modeun shigandeureul nawa hamkkehae~”

“Wow! You’re good at singing Seungjae-yah.” Sunghoon praised Seungjae.

Seungjae giggled at his words and thanked him. “You’re also good, Samchon.”

“Sunghoon-ah, you must be busy. We’ll talk to you soon. I hope that your new song will be a hit. Seungjae and I will listen to it too. And… I hope that you guys can really come to the show. Seungjae, say bye to uncle now.”

Seungjae waved his hand and said goodbye before I ended the call.

“Seungjae-yah, what do you think of Sunghoon-samchon?”

He gave me a smile and said, “He is pretty and he also sings well.”

“Really? Do you want to meet him and play with him?” I asked.

He rapidly nodded his head and smiled happily. “Yes!~”