Chapter 4/?

One More Time

 

After a good hour on the road, we arrived at YG Entertainment headquarters. The building looked nice and it was quite big.

“Appa, this is where my uncles work? Wow! It’s even bigger than your workplace.”

I smiled to him and nodded.

This will be my first time going to an entertainment agency in almost twenty years. I’m already feeling strange emotions.

“Appa, let’s go!” Seungjae said and dragged my hand to enter the place.

I just smiled to him and took a very deep sigh as we walk towards the entrance.

The production already came an hour ago and already arranged the matters. When we got inside, the PD immediately approached me.

“We already talked with their management, the members are in the recording room now and they don’t know that you are here,” he said.

A surprise visit? Would it be fine with them?

“Wouldn’t we cause a disturbance with that? Is it alright to go there without a notice?” I hesitantly asked.

The PD gave me a reassuring smile. “You’re so nervous, aren’t you? You don’t have to worry. Like I said, I have talked with their managers and they just made the members come here and faked a scheduled recording for us.”

“Seungjae-yah, It will be fun to surprise your uncles, right?” he asked Seungjae who’s standing beside me while his eyes roam around the place.

Seungjae beamed as a remark. “It will be so much fun!”

“Jiyong-ssi, even your son agrees with me. Relax and just enjoy this day, okay? Go now and meet your brothers. Fighting!”

I just smiled to him and start our way into the said room. We rode the elevator and the ride felt seems so long minutes. Why am I so anxious to meet them here? It’s not as if we didn’t hang out every now and then since the reunion.

“Appa, are you okay?” Seungjae looked at me with curious eyes.

“I’m okay. Why did you ask?” I told him.

He shrugged and said, “you don’t look excited, Appa.”

“I am, Seungjae. I am just nervous, that’s why. Oh, we’re here now. Let’s go?” We stepped off of the elevator and hand in hand, we made our way to their recording room.

Every step towards the room, I feel more and more nervous. I tightened my hold to the lunch we brought and finally we are at the doorstep of the room.

I was going to knock but the door opened and there they are chatting inside. Jaijin-hyung looked a bit surprised as he widened the open door.

“Ko Jiyong?” By his remark, everyone looked our way. Seungjae suddenly hid behind me.

Jaeduck-hyung stood up from his seat and approached us first. “Wow, is this real? Our Jiyong is here?” he said then hugged me.

Suwon and Sunghoon followed him and come up to me too. “What brings you here, Jiyong-ie?” Suwon asked.

“You are with your kid? Hi!” Jaijin-hyung who’s the one who seemed very surprise is the one who approached Seungjae.

“Do you know me, Seungjae-yah?” Jaijin-hyung asked.

I made Seungjae go in front of them. “Say your greeting, Seungjae-yah. They are your singer uncles that you wanted to meet.”

“Hello! I am Ko Seungjae.” He said and bowed to them.

“Hello, Seungjae. I’m your Jaeduck-samchon.” Jaeduck-hyung smiled widely at him.

“Hi, Seungjae-yah!” Suwon greeted him.

Sunghoon sat down to his level and said, “Do you remember me? We talked once through your daddy’s phone.”

Seungjae gave a big nod. “You are the pretty uncle, right? We sang together with Appa too!”

Everyone laughed at what Seungjae called Sunghoon.

“Yes, I am Kang Sunghoon. Do you want to sing with all of us here?” Sunghoon said as he pats Seungjae’s head.

“Hey, why don’t we let them in and sit?” Suwon told everyone. We didn’t notice that we were all at the doorstep.

“I’m sorry for the uncalled visit. We are filming now, as you can see and this is supposed to be a surprise for you all. Seungjae and I are here to support you in your new album.” I finally get to explain our sudden appearance.

Everyone smiled at me. “We’re happy to have you guys here, Jiyong-ah.”

“I didn’t expect you to come here this fast. We just talked about it just last week, right?” Sunghoon told.

“You know about this, Sunghoon?” Jaijin-hyung asked.

“No, Hyung. I just knew it when I had a meeting last week for my fan meeting. A staff came in and said that their show called.” Sunghoon explained himself.

I put the lunch we brought in the table and sat along with them.

“By the way, we brought you lunch. You must be tired from recording, why don’t you eat first?” I offered them.

“Oh? We also just arrived. They called so early and said that there’s a new song to record. Turns out that you are going to visit us. I bet everyone here didn’t eat anything.” Suwon told.

Seungjae is now talking with Jaijin-hyung. They must be playing something with Jaijin-hyung’s phone.

“Is Jiwon-hyung not here? Does he have another schedule?” I asked them as they look into the food.

“He is just late. He’s probably on his way here. Don’t worry.” Suwon answered me.

While we’re talking, Seungjae suddenly laughed out loud.

“Seungjae-yah, what’s funny?” we asked him.

He was still giggling as he come to me with Jaijin-hyung’s phone on his hand. “Appa, is this really you? You look super funny here!”

Right on the phone’s screen was my picture with a pose I can’t even remember why I did. Everyone looked into it and burst out their laughter.

“Jiyong-ah, you always do this pose back then.” Jaeduck-hyung commented as he continue to laugh.

“Hyung, do you always have this picture on your phone?” Suwon asked.

Jaijin-hyung smiled to us. “I always have our old pictures on my phone,” then he showed to us Suwon’s picture on our 2000 concert.

Again, everyone’s laughter erupted in the room.

“Samchon, why is your hair different from the picture. Did you wear a wig here?” Seungjae asked in between his laughter.

“Is there a filming going on? They are so many staff outside.” Jiwon-hyung finally came.

“Jiwon-hyung!” I called his attention and stood up to welcome him.

He looked like he just got up from his sleep but his eyes widened when our glances met.

“Jiyong-ah!” He approached me with a hug.

“What are you doing here?” He said and smiled.

I let go from his hug and called Seungjae.

“Seungjae-yah, here is your Jiwon-samchon. Greet him.”

Jiwon-hyung looked even more surprised as he saw my son.

“Hello, I am Ko Seungjae. Nice to meet you.” He said and bowed to Jiwon-hyung.

“Hi, Seungjae-yah. Did you go here to visit us?” Jiwon-hyung even hold Seungjae’s hand as they go and sit with the others.

“Yes, I learned a song at school and daddy said that it was your song so I told him that I wanted to meet you all.” Seungjae told him.

Amazed look was evident to everyone’s eyes when they heard Seungjae’s story.

“And what song is that, Seungjae-yah?” Jiwon-hyung asked him again.

“Seungjae-yah sing them the song you learned at school.” I encouraged my son.

“Urin jom teukbyeorhae~ Jom teukbyeorhae!~ We’ve got something special!~ Neodo aljahna uri yaksok~ Something special!~” Seungjae sang in his usual loud voice and everyone clapped when he finished.

“You are so good, Seungjae-yah!” Jaeduck-hyung commented.

“Your teacher taught you that song? Did she also taught you other songs of us?” Sunghoon asked.

Seungjae shook his head. “Our teacher always teach us nursery rhymes.”

“Ah, you sing nicely, Seungjae. Do you also want to become a singer?” Suwon asked.

Seungjae smiled to him. “Yes! But I also want to be an animal doctor!”

“Seungjae-yah, since your daddy cannot join us to sing, do you want to be his substitute?” Jaijin-hyung made us laugh with his question.

“Jaijin-ah, he’s too young to be a singer!” Jiwon-hyung nagged him.

“What does substitute mean?” Again our laughter filled the whole room with Seungjae’s remark.

Jaijin-hyung looked away from embarrassment but still he was laughing.

“Jaijin-samchon meant that you will replace me as their member and you will have to sing with them on stage.” I explained to him.

Seungjae nodded as a sign that he understood me.

“But Appa, I cannot be your replacement. You are only one and they are your friends. You must be the one to sing with them and not me.”

Everyone went silent with his remark. It’s as if an awkward air filled the room. But that didn’t took long because we continued eating the food and chat about their new songs and my work as well. They also ask Seungjae about being on TV and school. My nervous self a while ago was now totally gone. I felt as if being with them here is so ordinary, like it is something we do occasionally. I even forgotten that we’re filming for the show.

A knock on the door stopped us from our conversation.

“Excuse me, Ko Jiyong-ssi. The CEO wants to talk to you for a minute.” a staff entered the room.

The PD said it’s okay to take a break so everyone stopped filming. I told the guys to look after Seungjae as I go and will greet CEO Yang Hyunsuk.