Chapter 2

No Going Back

The Black Market

Daegu, South Korea

I need a valid reason to present to the city authorities and security workers to get permission to go to one of The Moons.

I need something really, really legit. From my long hours of going through sketchy websites and blogs online last night, I know that that something I need is a fake ID. My eyes are red from staring at a screen all night, but I don’t care. I won’t leave until I have what I’m looking for.

So here I am at the Black Market. It’s about an hour on foot from the terminal train station at the northern end of the city. I’m pretty sure you could get here faster through some shortcut or underground route, but what do I know? It’s my first time here.

I’m not surprised that it’s pretty out in the open, though. Every Daegu resident knows that our city’s law enforcement isn’t too great.

As I look for what I came here to buy, I walk past people selling all sorts of things. Weapons, mostly. I see lots of guns. Big ones and small ones. Strange designs and parts that aren’t familiar. I see lots of people selling scraps of metal and strange pieces of machinery too. It’s all new to me, all stuff I haven’t seen before. I walk past some people selling expensive meds. My eyes skim the labels on the bottles and labels, but none of the names are familiar to me. Some sellers are bold and try to wave me over with a “Hey young lady!” but I just give them polite nods and move on. Others simply remain sitting or standing beside their goods. Lots of people are walking around. The atmosphere is almost lively.

I see a small booth with a cardboard sign that says “Documents” and I know I’ve found what I came for. I make my way up to the lone man at the booth and we exchange greetings.

“Good morning. Is there something specific that you’re looking for?”

“Morning. I need an ID that’ll get me approved to go to The Moons. I assume I’ll need the entry documents as well.”

He nods and starts rummaging through a box on the ground.

I’m glad he isn’t asking me any questions, but I’m sure he’s used to this type of thing. Online it said that people around here were tight lipped. I’m glad.

“Here, have a look.” He hands me a card and a stack of papers.

I take a look at the card first.

JUPITER MOONS PERMANENT RESIDENT IDENTIFICATION CARD

NAME: DO HAEYOUNG

DATE OF BIRTH: FEB. 6, 2277

DATE ISSUED: APR. 19, 2295

RESIDENCE: IO

IO4398493

We’re only a few years apart in age, but the girl in the photo looks nothing like me. Her complexion glows with health, and her youthful happiness is obvious even though she stares into the camera with a neutral expression.

I pull out my own ID card and look at our photos side by side.

The man glances between my face and Do Haeyoung’s. My picture looks like a mugshot. My eyes are slightly bloodshot, my eyebags hang down my face, and my mouth is set in a hard, straight line. I could tell immediately that our lives were very different. I don’t even look like I’m someone in her twenties.  

“No worries. I can get that fixed for you. For an extra fee, of course. A small one. I can replace the headshots on the entry docs and the card.” He says.

I nod. I have no choice anyway. “How much in total?”

“1000000 won. Photo replacement included.”

I swallow nervously. “Can I have it a little cheaper?” I ask shamelessly. It’s not like I have anything to lose.

He shakes his head. “Sorry miss. We don’t do that here.”

It was worth a try. Luckily, I came prepared. I dig out the cash I withdrew from my savings account a few hours before coming here and hand it over to him.

Anxiety strikes me like a lightning bolt once the money leaves my hands. What if all this is a mistake? I watch in silence as he counts the bills one by one. Did I make the right decision? Will this really work out? Is this plan just bull like Minho said? I just spent almost all of what I had left in my pathetically small savings account. If things didn’t go right, would I be able to face the consequences?

I don’t care. I can’t be doubting myself now.

Even if this would turn out to be a stupid decision, I wasn’t the type of person who was going to give up without trying. There’s no backing out.

“Your ID, please.”

I mindlessly hand it over. He moves over to a small machine to make some scans. I hear him clicking away on the computer.

He nods at me when he’s finished and hands me the edited documents.

“Good luck, miss. You’ll need it.”

I know.

-

The sun is setting as I ride the train back to my apartment. I try to shut my eyes and rest, but I can’t fall asleep. I don’t have the focus to start going through the entry documents properly either.

I end up staring out the window and wondering if this is the last sunset on Earth I’ll ever be able to witness. After all, I don’t know what awaits me once I leave.

Last night, from my hours of searching the internet, I found out exactly how hard it was to get on the space jet, but it didn’t surprise me. I would have to go through intense questioning about my identity and motivations to leave. Security was heavy, and no one knows what happens to those who are caught with fake identities. I tried finding out if there was any information on people who managed to leave Earth and come back, but there was nothing. From what I learned, most people that left didn’t intend to return. Some were people who wanted to leave Earth because of the pollution. They’d heard from somewhere that the quality of life on The Moons was a lot better. A good majority of people who’d left were running from the law.

I’m not in any of those categories. I don’t know.

The train slows to a stop and the doors slide open. I shake myself out of my thoughts and step off.

For what might be the last time, I speed walk from the train station to my crumbling apartment building. It’s time to pack some things and leave.

I hide my Earth documents between clothes in my backpack and hope for the best. I don’t know what else to do because I’ve never done anything like this before. Would I get caught? Is this too obvious? Well, it’s too bad because I have nowhere else to put them.

I send the water and heating companies a quick message to stop service, and then I unplug everything in my home.

Oh, and one last thing.

I should let my parents know that I’ll be gone for a while. Not like they’ve bothered to check up on me too often ever since I failed to enter a prestigious university back then, but I don’t feel like it’s right to leave without saying a word.

I dial my mom’s number quickly, but there’s no answer. I try one more time before I give up and leave her a voicemail.

“Hello? Yes… This is Hwayeon. I’m going to be on a business trip for a while, and I won’t be able to answer my phone. If you and dad need something, you can let me know about it when I get back. I’ll make sure I call when I return… Please be healthy. Bye.”

I don’t know what else to say. There haven’t been many words between my parents and I for a long, long time.

-

It’s a rainy autumn night when I leave, and I know I’ll remember it forever.

I’m the only one on the express bus to the spaceport at this hour, and I busy myself by memorizing my fake entry documents.

My phone rings for the first time today, interrupting my studying.

Incoming Call . . .

. . . Yoo Minyoung . . .

I frown. In my haste to leave, I’d forgotten all about her. A pang of guilt shoots through me. How could I? We’ve been friends for all of the five years she’s dated Baekhyun.

I take the call.

“Hwayeon-ah.” Her tone is serious.

I swallow.

“Oh, yeah, Minyoung-ah. What is it?” I try to keep my voice steady.

Does she know?

“Are you really going? What’s happening? Baek mentioned something about you leaving for The Moons when he got home from work today. He said you guys fought yesterday. What’s going on? Is everything okay? He seemed really upset. Please tell me what’s going on.”

Even through the phone, I can feel Minyoung’s distress. She’s never been one to hide her emotions, and she’s always worn her heart on her sleeve. That’s what’s different between the two of us.

I can’t lie to her.

“I’m on the bus to the spaceport right now.” I begin slowly. “Whatever he told you is true.” I admit in defeat.

“I knew it. I’m on my way. I’m giving Baekhyun a call!” Minyoung’s voice is shrill with worry. “He thought you weren’t being serious! But I suspected something like this would happen!”

I can hear her waving and calling for a driver from my end of the call.

“Minyoung-ah, you know—”

“You’d better stay still, Song Hwayeon. Are you insane?! You don’t know what you’re getting into! Don’t you know that people who go there usually don’t come back?”

“Yeah, so? Maybe I’ll be the first.” I say grimly.

“Hwayeon-ah, wait for me at the spaceport, okay?!?” Minyoung begs frantically. “Please talk to me first. Tell me exactly what’s going on.”

I don’t know what I should say.

“Song Hwayeon! Don’t hang up.”

I steel myself and blink away the tears that are forming in my eyes.

“I’m almost there, Minyoung. I’ve already made my decision, and I’m going to stick with it. Don’t worry about me, okay?” I pause to swallow the lump in my throat. “I’ve got this. So don’t worry. I’ll be back soon. I want you and Baekhyun both to be healthy when I’m away.”

“Don’t go anywhere, Song Hwayeon. You better still be there when I get to the spaceport.” Minyoung hisses.

“Don’t worry.” I repeat it again like a broken record.

Arriving at destination in one minute. Please prepare to exit the vehicle.” The robotic female voice announces.

“I’ll miss you, Yoo Minyoung. Promise me you and Baekhyun will both be well when I’m gone, okay? I have to hang up soon. Minyoung, promise?”

“What? Hwayeon, stop it!”

“I’ll be fine. Don’t worry. Just promise me!”

Arrived at destination. Please exit the vehicle.”

“I gotta go, okay?” My voice almost cracks. “I’m really sorry you had to find out this way. I just didn’t know how I was supposed to tell you because Baekhyun took it so badly. Just trust me, I’ll be okay. I’ll be back soon, I swear.”

I feel absolutely awful, but I hang up on Minyoung and turn off my phone.

I wish I was as honest and good at expressing my feelings to others as she was.

I just wish I was better at relationships in general.

Picking up the single backpack I took with me, I dash off the bus and into the pouring rain. I only have to get wet for a few seconds, and then I’m inside. Glass doors welcome me with a nice whoosh. I’m grateful for the strong heating that blasts me in the face. The spaceport is pretty nice. I’ve never been here before, and if circumstances were different, I would’ve liked to walk around and explore. The dome ceiling is nice and high, and everything was made of sleek metal.

I don’t see many people around except for service robots and a few people heading to work. 

There are four main sections in the facility according to the signs overhead.

1 – Military Spacecraft Storage

2 – Spacecraft for Exploration and Research

3 – Launch Pads for Interplanetary Travel

4 – Control and Communications Centre

I follow the arrows pointing to the third section and make my way down the hallway. The only sounds I can hear are my wet shoes squeaking on the polished floor and the hum of the building’s heating in the background.

Before I walk through the sliding metals doors to go through security and customs, I wipe my face and smooth down my hair the best I can.

There’s really no going back.