PROLOGUE: Memoire

Saudade

A few years ago.

 

Jennie

 

“Do you think you’re pretty?”

“Pink doesn’t suit you.”

“You can’t even dance. Why were you there?”

“He doesn't like you. Can’t you see?”

“Look at you. This is why love is only for fools.”

 

                Min Yoongi, what happened to you?

                I asked myself that since like forever but I could not answer or find one to shut my brain from asking every single time whenever I see him. He’s really a complicated guy. I have never seen someone like him. He’d say the most hurtful words but does the opposite. Like when he told me he did not like me around but looked for me when I distanced myself from him. He’d say ice cream was the tiest food but bought a gallon of it for me when I failed my audition just to console me because he knew I liked milk ice cream.

                I just don’t get him.

                He’s so…distant yet I’m actually by his side.

                He was supposed to be just a friend but because I’m such a ty person, I fell for him and now whatever he does; I just can’t help but notice. In the past I could care less about what he wears or of whoever likes him but now, I’d freaking chase those girls away.

                Why do they like that cold guy? He doesn’t even talk to them!

                “You’re here,” he said. I looked up at him and just like these past few days, I checked him out again. He’s wearing his favorite black hoodie and a pair of faded blue jeans. But his shoes ruined his bad boy get up.

                Who would complete an outfit with a pair of old muddy pair of Converse to school?

                “Yah, don’t you have another pair of shoes? They’re so dirty! Could you at least wash them?” I said, snatching the bag of chips from him and popping a piece in my mouth.

                He just shrugged and took a seat in front of me. “They don’t smell.”

                “Huh! It doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be washed!”

                As usual, he ignored me and started scribbling on his notepad that he surely loved to carry. I don’t even know what’s inside it. He never showed me even though I was his friend. Well, his only friend. That’s how he Min Yoongi was—secretive.

                “What happened last night? I was dead drunk. My parents said you dropped me home.”

                “That. ‘Dead drunk’. And no, it was Jisoo who dropped you home.”

                Right. Why did I believe that girl?

                “Why are you late? Your part time job ended an hour ago. What happened?” I asked again.

                “Nothing that concerns you,” he said.

                I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, right, whatever. I shouldn’t have asked. So, will you come to my house? I told my parents you will.”

                He barely glanced at me before turning his attention to reading a book this time, entitled ‘Enough to Say it’s Far’ and said,  “I’ll see if I can.”

                “You’re always like that,” I said, pouting and waited for him to say something but he did not. I knew better. I could never get his full attention. Although back then I did not care but now that I realized my growing feelings for him, it wasn’t okay anymore. I crave for him.

                And then last night happened at Jisoo’s party. I barely remembered everything but I remember him hugging me. Or was it my imagination? A dream? It was too good for a dream. Still, it’s impossible to happen. Right? Him? Hugging me? Telling me he feels the same? Wow, I’m being brave in my dreams, huh.

                But I can’t do anything.  I don’t want to ruin our friendship just because I fell for him. And like I’ve said, he’s not like others. What if he acts differently if I tell him? I can’t risk that. I can’t risk losing the only reason I can be this near to him. Not like in my dream last night.

                Resting my cheek on my palm, I stared at the only guy I have never understood nor seen showing his feelings. Anger, yes. He’s always angry. But other than that? No. I’ve never seen him laughing because he’s happy. None when he smiled sincerely because he liked whatever he saw. I never saw him love.

                What happened to you?

                “I should tell you ‘staring is rude’ but you already know that,” he suddenly said and glanced at me before putting his book down. Propping his elbows on the table, resting his face on his palm like what I was doing. His small eyes directed at me. “What is it?”

                I shook my head.

                “You think I’d believe that? Tell me.”

                I like you. I should have said that but I didn’t because I was scared.

                He suddenly stood up and sat beside me, our arms touching. I was surprised. I blinked twice when he suddenly moved closer to me.

                Oh, my God. My imagination is daebak…or maybe not?

                “W-What are you doing?” I asked, stuttering due to the close proximity, as I stared at him.

                The corner of his lips twitched slightly upward—he’s grinning. His eyes boring into mine and I was frozen in my seat. Is it what I think it is? Is he…

                “Jennie, you like me. Don’t you?”

                “E-eh?” OH MY GOD!

                Did he just…

                Awkward?

                I couldn’t answer. First, I was surprised. Second, my heart was beating fast and for an unkwown reason I feel like it’s in my throat, making talking hard. Third, I am shocked. And lastly, what the heck? What should I say?!

                Deny, deny!

                “What are you talking about? Have you gone mad? Why would I even like you? Yo-you, you never been sweet to me to like you, you know. Huh! Oh, my  god, why would you eve—huh!”

                Before I could even stop myself from spitting a big fat yes to his question, I stood up hurriedly and started walking fast when he said something that made me stopped. Just when I thought things wouldn’t ty and embarrassing, Min Yoongi just dropped a million bombs between us.

                “That’s not what you told me last night,” he said almost in a singsong voice.

                When I turned back, he had that smug smile on his face, like he’s won something.

                “What do you mean?” I tried to ask.

                Min Yoongi smiled, reaching his eyes and I was surprised. “We agreed. You actually…agreed to be my girlfriend.”

---

 

“Leave him or else, you know what will happen,” my Dad sternly said at me.

                “No, I can’t.”

                “Are you seriously choosing that guy over your life? Your career? Your dream?!”

                “He’s in my dream now, Dad,” I said as I bowed my head, trying to stop my tears from falling. I can’t leave him. I can’t leave Min Yoongi. He’ll have it rough. No he will be hurt. So much. I can’t. I love him.

                My Dad handed me an envelope and it was a mistake I looked what’s inside of it.

--

                I watched as my mother gathered all my clothes and packing a suitcase containing them. I couldn’t do anything to stop her, to stop myself from leaving. As much as I wanted to stay, I couldn’t. As much as I wanted to run away, I couldn’t. And as much as I wanted to be with Yoongi—no, it will never happen.

                My hand ran through the black hoodie that I decided to return to the owner. A single tear escaped my eye as I caressed the fabric, feeling it one last time. It’s cheap but warm—it feels good. Like him.

                "You will never see him again. You will never love a criminal's son."

 

 

--

 

Hi! Whoever you are stopped by, thank you.

Here's a Yoonnie story :) if you like it, please leave a comment. Tnx.