Fiction

Fiction

The man sat alone in the darkened room, lit solely by the lamp on the table he was at. The wooden door and glass windows were closed, shutting out all possible noises there could be in the nearby surroundings, almost as if they were creating a new world. A new world of silence. A world of silence except for the scribbling of pen on paper, and the rustling sound that came when the pages of the journal was turned. Though none could see it, seeing how dark the room was, the room was in a mess. The bed was unkempt; its sheets kicked over the bed and spread on the floor. Pieces of paper mixed with articles of clothing were strewn over the floor. It was almost impossible to find an uncovered path to walk on in the room.

 

However, the man was oblivious to all this. It mattered in no way to him.

 

Sitting at his desk, surrounded by half-empty cans of beer, the man, with short dark hair that seemed unwashed for a few days and a rough stubble growing on his chin, wrote word after word, line after line on the well-used journal in front of him. He hardly moved, did nothing else, except write and write, mumbling to himself the entire time.

 

I still can't forget you... All these things that had happened... I still can't believe the truth, everything. I can't just let you like this... All that has happened, they're all lies, they can't be the truth. No, this is not reality.

 

Knowing full well the fact of the matter, the man stopped writing for a moment, one hand clutching his chest, the other, his head, both aching due to the conflict they had. One knowing the fact, the other believing the fictional world he had already created.

 

No. No... It's all a lie. How can this be? Just a week ago, you were by my side. You were so beautiful, even more so with the smile that's always on your face. We were together. Even in a small room, with nothing interesting to do, we were happy, just being in the presence of each other... Oh, something that's so sweet... How can it be out of my grasp now? No... This is not the truth. There cannot be an end to this, an end to "us".

 

Ignoring the never-ending pain, he picked up his pen again, words slowly filling up the paper as he continued the story that could not end in his mind, in his heart.

 

Laughter filled his ears, his mind, as the story unfolded. The girl's laughter, the laughter of his love. Unknowingly, he began to smile. She leapt into his arms, wrapping him tightly in an embrace. He hugged her back fiercely, not caring that she was almost suffocating him with the way she wrapped her arms around his neck. Laughing along with her, he spun her around, hearing her delightful laughter filling the air, like music to his ears. Resting his forehead against hers, he gently lowered her to the ground.

 

"I missed you." she whispered.

 "But it has only been two days since we'd last met." he replied. But he understood her feelings, he had missed her too.

"Where shall we go now?" She asked, letting go of his neck to hold his hand, tugging him along, the excitement - not unlike that of a child - visible in every action she did.

"It doesn't matter. Wherever it is, so long as it's with you, I'm happy. I love you."

"I love you too."

 

Beaming, he let her pull him along, holding tightly the smaller hand in his.

 

This hand... I will never let go of this hand...

 

I love you...

 

The sudden knocking on the wooden door interrupted his story, chasing away the bright world he was in, chasing away the sun who brought light to his world, dragging him back to the dark messy room he was in, dragging him back to reality.

 

"How much longer are you going to stay in there like that? It has been days since she left you! Just accept the fact! She is not coming back to you! Please..." the pleading voice filtered through the door, reaching his ears, which he wished were deaf in this world.

 

"I can't... I can't... The story hasn't ended still. She can't leave me yet. No. She's not gone. She is right next to me. I know that. I believe that." he muttered, not caring if the party across the door could hear his reply. "She's beside me. I'm believing that."

 

The water suddenly dripping on his hand caused his mind to awaken a little to the reality he was in. Looking down, almost in surprise, he saw a few drops of water on his hands. Reaching up, his fingers touched the side of his face, his cheeks, slowly moving up to his eyes.

 

"Tears... Why? Why are there tears? She's not gone. She's still with me. I'm happy. Why are there tears?"

 

His eyes travelled from his wet hands to the journal lying on the desk. The pages were relatively crumpled from being well-used, time made the paper slightly yellowed with age, messy scribbling that were his handwriting filled the page. No surprise there, seeing how he had been using this journal (and many more before it) to write his thoughts, his ideas, his stories. Only one thing was different from the norm. The old paper was stained in tears.

 

Picking up the precious journal, he flipped through its pages, reading what he had written before. It was almost an impossible task, with his horrible scribbling, his blurred vision from more oncoming tears, and the trembling of his hands. Even so, memories flooded back to him as he recalled what he had wrote. A smile tugged at the corner of his lips as tears began to roll down his face again.

 

There are only happy stories here. Stories of you and I... Ah, how can I end this? My own story, my own fiction... How is it supposed to end? There... there's no more purpose in writing this. Is this story supposed to be happy or sad? Even I don't know anymore... My story, our story... All this is just a wish.

 

Setting down the almost filled journal, his gaze landed on the last page, the last line, the last words. Running his fingers over the precious last few words he had just written, tears began to flow anew from his eyes.

 

I love you...

 

 

 


 

and that's it folks! =)

personally, i'm not very satisfied with it... and i did receive critique on it... >.< stuff that i already knew mostly, but still, it's kinda hard to really hear people tell me. but i have to learn. xP

any comments? I'll try to post something soon? once i get over the brain freeze of hearing the critiques for my work and start anaylzing the idea i have to see if i can improve it. yeah.

thanks for taking your time to read it though. ^-^  it's been too long since i wrote anything proper. =/