Pt. I

Amour
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There's always a finality in Pastor Kim's voice when he preaches his sermons. A resolute confidence, like everything he is saying is factual, like anyone who upholds the stupidity to even think he is anything other than right is unworthy of his time. Dahyun used to admire it, the way he could captivate an entire room with his words and convince all doubters, all non-believers, that he spoke only the truth. Only the Lord's truth. 

"We all sin. To deny that fact is to be oblivious, and the Lord did not create mankind so that we could live in oblivion. He wants us to be awake." Pastor Kim states, the bible in his hand, his eyes scanning over each and every attentive member of the church. Pausing for dramatic affect, he continues. "The awareness of our sins is what the Lord recognises. The willingness to try and correct our sins, the pro-activity in ammending them. That is what we must try to achieve..." 

Dahyun is overtly conscious of his words, conscious of the ambiance in the room as everyone murmurs agreement, but she is also conscious of the girl. She is looking up at Pastor Kim with this glazed look over her face, the sort of look that people get when words fly right over their heads, when they are present, but not really present. Dahyun recognises that look. The girl is not listening to Pastor Kim, she is not hearing him like the rest of the room is. It's peculiar to Dahyun, and she cannot help but watch the girl's disinterest with a burning curiosity. Does she not agree with what Pastor Kim is saying? Maybe she's a non-believer. Why would a non believer be here? Dahyun frowns slightly, an irrational annoyance consuming her. There is something strange happening.

Angrily, Dahyun turns back to Pastor Kim. It takes thirty seconds for her to realise that she is not focused, at all, on what he is saying. All she can think about is the girl, and her apathy, and Dahyun realises that she is no different, she is hardly listening to Pastor Kim either, and that fills her with a searing guilt that she simply cannot subdue. 

For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God- Romans 3:23

"-- For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. I want you all to remember this. Romans 3:23. That is all." Pastor Kim concludes, and Dahyun startles, the sentence being the first she has heardfrom him since the start of his sermon. The church members applaud, some with tears in their eyes, and Dahyun does too, instinctively, even though she does not really know what she is applauding. Then their eyes meet at the same instant moment, Dahyun glancing around and the girl just turning her head so she is directly looking at Dahyun. Dahyun notices that unlike everyone else, the girl is not applauding. Instead, there is a grim look on her face now, and she breaks eye contact just as quickly. 

"After service I'd like you to introduce yourself to the Minatozaki's." Dahyun's mom whispers once the applause has died down, nodding towards the girl and her parents. 

Dahyun cannot help but frown.

"Why?" 

Dahyun's mom is surprised.

"Why? They're our neighbors! Plus, the girl, she's around your age. You should be grateful that there's finally another young female adult around here." 

Dahyun doesn't reply immediately. Grateful, that is an odd word. She doesn't feel grateful. She's become so used to things being a certain way, and suddenly it all feels different. Casting one last look at the girl, she sighs. 

"I will." 

Dahyun's mom flashes a proud smile, tugging at her cheeks like she has done since Dahyun was a child. 

"Thank you. They're a lovely family. Such good christians." 

Dahyun nods once. Such good christians is the highest of compliments around here, almost comparable to being called a true disciple. It must mean

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter