III

Runaways

Handong had at least kept her promise. She didn’t let Yoobin feel lonely a single moment, making sure she was always by her side.

Yoobin appreciated it even though Handong couldn’t be there for her always. Maybe that’s why it hurt so much – because they both knew they’d have to leave.

They spent every waking moment together, trying not to worry about what was about to come, but that was the night that she broke down and held her hand.

Yoobin thought she would go insane, sitting at the table with both of their families laughing over some horrible joke. Talking about their children and their success because parents apparently have nothing else going on.

Yoobin wanted to disappear, she wanted to share the beautiful evening with Handong only.

And once again she came to the rescue, quietly slipping her hand into Yoobin’s. Yoobin was baffled, she looked around for any sort of reaction from the others but the touch was their secret. Under the table where no one could see, Yoobin’s hand fit perfectly with Handong’s.

And maybe they both finished their food too quickly. Maybe they both just wanted to get away from the table and sit on the beach together and watch the moon reflecting in the dark, shimmering water.

But Handong wasn’t radiating the usual cheerfulness. Her smile was faint, her gaze distant. Yoobin didn’t mind, she didn’t only like Handong when she was happy; she liked her always.

And she knew that Handong couldn’t always be someone else’s source of strength and happiness. Yoobin thought herself weak, but she wanted to be there for Handong as well.

“What’s wrong?”

Unlike Yoobin, Handong didn’t hesitate to answer, “I’m afraid.”

“Of what?”

“The future.” She shrugged, giving Yoobin a weak smile. “But it’s okay. Isn’t everyone?”

Yoobin glanced down at the sand, digging through it absently. “Not me. I live my life day for day.” She paused. “Honestly… I don’t see my life being all that long. I think that’s way.”

Handong’s smile faded and she glanced ahead. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay. At least I’m living.”

They stayed quiet for a while, both staring at the water.

“I think it’s gotten worse since I’ve gotten here,” Handong muttered.

Yoobin gave her a questioning look.

“I hate plunging into the unknown. It terrifies me. I’m moving to Hong Kong to go to school and… It’s made me want summer to never end. Summer ending means leaving home, going to a new one, new school, more difficult than the one I’m leaving, new friends… I’m scared. And… Hong Kong is so far from Seoul.” As she said this, she pressed her forehead to her knees, hiding her face.

Yoobin’s eyes widened; she knew full well that her interpretation of Handong’s words may not have been the correct one, but she couldn’t help it. Her heart was already fluttering.

Yoobin was trying to think of something good to say to reassure Handong, Yoobin wanted to help but she simply didn’t know how. She cared so little about the future that she really had no reassuring words to share and it made her feel useless.

“It’s okay,” Handong said as if reading Yoobin’s mind. “I’ll be fine, you don’t really have to say anything. I don’t really want to talk about it either. Just… Don’t leave. For as long as we have together, just don’t leave.”

Yoobin nodded. “You can count on that.”

Handong stood suddenly and took Yoobin’s hand, pulling her up.

“Come on,” she said as she dragged the younger along.

“Where are we going?” Yoobin questioned as Handong’s pace turned into a jog.

“Nowhere!” She replied and sped up.

Hand in hand they ran along the beach, laughing uncontrollably. For that moment they felt like they had no worries. No one to impress, no decisions to make. No weight of tomorrow or keeping others around you happy. There was nothing, just the two of them.

But they couldn’t run forever. Soon they came to the edge of the beach, cut by a cliff looming over them.

Handong came to a stop and so did Yoobin. Handong’s laughter turned into soft panting and then into quiet sobs.

Yoobin was confused. The exhilaration wore off quickly and soon the heaviness reappeared, Handong’s sobs reached her as well.

And soon they were both sobbing loudly. Handong dropped to her knees and Yoobin kneeled on the sand beside her.

They held each other and cried before the barrier that kept them from running away, from being free.