Chapter 1.

I Won’t Mind
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Bae Joohyun. 

  

Irene was what she preferred people to call her. Not like she didn’t like her name or anything. She just think it’s not necessary to say her real name. Not that she mind if someone ask her, though. She really doesn’t care about the world, really. She’s a carefree, humble, and a normal woman that’s just trying to live her life. She owns a cafe, not so far from her apartment in Seoul called, ‘The Velvet’. It’s a pretty popular cafe for young teenagers because of the cozy atmosphere, where they can relax in the cafe, doing their project assigned to them by their teachers. Quite popular among adults too, but they don’t usually stay for long. Some just comes in a rush, since they’re probably late for work, order their muffins or coffee and practically flew out the door. She’s 28, but is practically living her ‘best’ life. 

 

The bell ringed, signaling the workers to get to work since the first customer of the day has entered. Irene opens her cafe quite early, 7:30am. Not that she’s eager to get her money or anything. She’s knows that her early office workers tends to come in early to get their coffees for the day.

 

“Morning, Jinseok. The regular?” Irene said, putting on her best smile. 

 

“Yes, please.” Jinseok, one of Irene’s everyday customer said and paid the usual amount, $6.17. 

 

Jinseok was a rather old man. Probably in his 50’s. He would always come to this cafe to get his black coffee (no sugar) and a blueberry muffin (with extra blueberries, of course). He always wakes up late, explaining his crooked tie and disheveled hair, including the untuck button up shirt. 

 

“Here you go. Have a great day!” Irene handed him the bad, containing his muffin, and his cup of coffee, not forgetting to put on her signature smile.

 

“Thank you.” And out the door he goes, not even letting Irene have a chance to say ‘you’re welcome’. She chuckled and leaned on the counter, looking around the cafe. It was pretty early for anyone to come, a Thursday at that. Irene took note in her head that ‘Thursday’s were just not people’s day’. It’s true. Thursday were not her day when she was in college. Her thoughts were disrupted by a ‘ding’ in the back pocket of her jean. She took out her found hastily and smiled upon seeing a text from a certain someone. The certain someone, is of course, her one and only sister, Kim Yerim, Yeri is what she preferred most. 

 

Now, you might be confused on why Yeri’s surname different from Irene’s. It’s just that Irene’s dad left her mom and her, after being abusive to both people. Coming home late, reeks smells of alcohol, lips stain on his office attire, and being abusive, was enough for Mrs.Bae to call it quits. After a few years, Mrs.Bae decided to marry another man. A man that was kind, quite a look, and gentle. A man that Irene believes can be her father. And that’s how Yeri and Irene became stepsister. But they like ‘sister’ more than ‘stepsister. Irene had a choice if she wanted to be a Bae or a Kim. She picked Bae, because that’s who she is. Another ‘ding’ interrupted Irene again.

 

Squirtle: 

Unnie, when are you coming again?   7:40am

Unnie?   7:40am

Unnieeee~    7:41am

 

Irene:

Sorry, Yeri-ah. I’m coming on Saturday at 11:00am.      7:42am

 

 

Incoming Call...

 

 

“Unnieeee~ Can’t you come tomorrow? I miss you and I can’t imagine another day without you~” Irene cringed and chuckled at Yeri’s ‘sweet words’.

 

“Sorry, Yeri. I already booked a ticket on Saturday. Replacing tickets is just too much of a hassle.” Irene said, knowing that Yeri would’ve said to exchange tickets. Irene heard a sigh, feeling Yeri’s pout on the other side of the phone.

 

“So, how are you, unnie? Mom and dad is really excited to see you!” Yeri’s quick change of pouty to squealing didn’t surprise Irene, at all.

 

“I’ve been well. Tell mom and dad I’m really excited to see them too.” Irene smiled, knowing that she’ll be seeing her family in less than 48 hours.

 

“What about me? Don’t you miss your cute little sister?” Pouting again, Yeri ‘dramatically’ let out a whine.

 

“Of course, I miss you too-sorry Yeri, I got to go. A customer came in.” Irene smiled at the said customer.

 

“Alright, unnie. I’ll text you later.” Yeri hung up, returning Irene to her home screen. She stared at her home screen while stating her usual greeting.

 

“Good morning! Welcome to The Velvet! What can I get you today?” Irene said, without looking up, yet. 

 

“Uhhh...l...hmmm....” The customer stuttered, looking at the menu confusedly.

 

“Take your time.” Irene finally looked up, her breath hitched right away. The customer was cute. With her fluffy cheeks, mono-lid eyes, and pink lips. Her dark brown lock in a messy, but cute bun. Thick round rimmed glasses on the bridge of her nose. She wore dark blue jeans with a plain white t-shirt tucked in. Her ‘admiring’ the girl stopped when she spoke up.

 

“I’ll just have a pineapple mango smoothie.” She smiled, satisfied with her choice of drink.

 

“A-alright. Your name, please?” Irene stuttered, pink hews forming on her cheeks. 

 

“Seulgi.” The girl, Seulgi, smiled, showing her white pearls. Irene can now confirm that Seulgi, is a bear indeed.

 

_____

 

Irene sighed as she closed the cafe. She looked at her wrist watch, sighing again. 10:10pm. She still has to go home and pack for her 3 week trip to Daegu. She walked to the bus station, plopping down onto the bench with another sigh, and patiently waited for the bus. It’s not like she doesn’t know how to drive, she just think owning a car is kind of useless. The only place she needs to go is the cafe and that’s it. She doesn’t go outside a lot, so usually on the weekend, she would stay in, do some yoga, watch tv, or just call her friends. You could just say, she’s a homebody. 

 

Her mind suddenly drifted to Seulgi. Irene doesn’t know why, but she felt attached to her all of a sudden. She felt butterflies in her stomach. So, love at first sight does exist, she thought. Irene may not seem like it, but she’s a clingy person. A person that seek for affection. She had a boyfriend once, but that really didn’t work out. After her 6 months relationship with her ex-boyfriend, she decided she wasn’t really into guys. She was into girls. Her parents (Mr.Kim and Mrs.Bae) accepted her. She was glad they understand her. She was glad that they were there for her, Yeri too. But she didn’t have to worry if Yeri accepted her or not. Why? She has a girlfriend of her own, Joy. Irene met Joy a couple of times when she visited. Joy was funny, and is a big tease. 

 

Irene saw her usual bus arrived, stopping in front of the bus stop. The door opened and she went in. She smiled at the bus driver, Mr.Lee, and swiped her bus card. Since it was pretty late, there was almost no one in the bus. An old lady sitting in the back, a man in a suit attire (probably coming home from work too), a teenage kid, and her. She sat down in the back by the right window, her favorite seat. Lights in buildings starts to turn off, as people leave their work places, rushing home to their family.

 

Her stop finally came to view. She quickly got up, hanging her bag on her shoulder, and walked hastily down the steps of the bus, not forgetting to say thank you to Mr.Lee.

 

“Thank you, have a good night, sir!” She smiled, waving lightly, and leaving, after seeing Mr.Lee wave back and close the bus’s door, driving off.

 

She walked slowly to her complex, sleepiness kicking in slowly. She sighed again, for the umpteenth time, after she left the elevator and to her front door. She swiped her key card, opening the door with darkness welcoming her. Shuffling sound can be heard and she smiled upon hearing it. 

 

“Baechu~” Irene cooed and crouched down, upon seeing her cute little fluff ball. Baechu, her Bichon Frise, is Irene’s dog that she got from Taeyeon, her cousin, that also helps her at the cafe. A interrupted her as she felt a slimy texture on her right cheek. 

 

“Who’s a good girl~” She cooed and ruffle her soft hair. 

 

“I bet you’re hungry.” Smiling, she got up and took out a bag of dog food. She poured the food in the bowl, place it down onto the floor, and Baechu scurried over, tail wagging repeatedly left and right. Irene smiled upon seeing the cute little action. While putting away the dog food, she suddenly remembered she had to pack for Daegu, she rushed to her room and started packing for her trip. After packing, she did her daily night routine and hopped onto her lovely bed, sniffing in the lavender-vanilla detergent she used to wash her bedsheets the other day. 

 

Baechu always love to cuddle next to Irene while she sleeps. She happily ran into the room and jumped onto Irene’s bed, earning a giggle from the girl. 

 

“Goodnight, sweetie.” She gently patted Baechu’s head, earning a snore from the cute dog, probably in its dreamland. So she too, will enter dreamland.

 

_____

 

*beep* *beep* *beep*

 

Irene sleepily drag her hand around the bed, trying to stop the beeping noise. After putting it on snooze, it beeped again, making her groan to the annoying sound.

 

“What do you want from m-“ Her eyes widen upon seeing the numbers on her lock screen. 

 

 

 

 

7:25am.

 

 

 

Quickly throwing the blanket off of her and jumped off her bed, she ran into the bathroom and got ready, scaring Baechu who was snuggling next to her. The dog jumped off the bed, onto the floor and out into the living room.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter