born to make history

wish you were here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

a/n. seriously, listen to this song while reading this please!

 

 

 

Yuqi carefully examined the tasks on the list, contemplating which one might be the quickest to complete. Geninuely, it would seem logical to do the entire thing in a systematic approach from number one to ten. She tapped the end of her pen against the crinkled piece of paper. Yuqi had attempted to smooth it out last night, flattening it against a pile of large and heavy books, but no matter what she did, it stayed in its perpetually flawed and crumpled form. She peered at the tasks once again. 

 

But the more she thought about the list, the only issue with her was that crossing any line off gave her a bad case of nerves. Singing in front of a crowd and breaking into the lighthouse? Those were just disasters waiting to unfold or bite her in the back.

 

She hesitated, biting her bottom lip in trepidation. Maybe this wasn't the best idea. It was one thing to be baking cookies and another to be committing a crime. What was the point of Jaehyun sending her this anyways? He wasn't the biggest fan of planning, preferring to go with the flow. It was out of the ordinary.

 

A loud ring resonated across her house, forcibly pulling her out of her own thoughts. It had to be Jaehyun—

 

Yuqi clumsily stumbled over her guitar case, her hands clinging on to the edge of her birch wood desk to brace her fall, she stubbed her toe against the leg of her desk in the process. Her toe began to throb in pain. She ignored the sharp stab of pain, choosing to bolt downstairs in a rush instead, even beating her own dog, Comet, to answering the door. There was a delusional part that kept persistently chanting inside her head which had assumed without her own accord that the person at the door might had been Jaehyun finally back from god knows where.

 

She slowly opened the door, ignoring her golden Labrador dog that whined to go outside, repeatedly bumping her head against Yuqi's legs. When Yuqi didn't budge, Comet barked once before turning her head and strolling back to the kitchen. 

 

But Yuqi didn't notice it because she was rendered speechless, shell-shocked even. There was a boy at her door.  

 

Not just any boy but her classmate, Wong Lucas, co-captain of the dance team, all around star athlete, and virtually joined to the hip to Nancy Mcdonie and Mark Lee. He also practically owned the halls of the school and maybe a good chunk of the town too. In other words, a complete universe away from Yuqi.

 

But somehow, he had coincidentally stumbled upon her home in the neighbourhood which had an approximate population of fifty houses. Either he was looking for her which was an unlikely situation or he had a tragic sense of direction.

 

However, judging by the expression on his face, Yuqi guessed that it was the first scenario. "What are you doing here?" she managed to speak after her initial shock, slowly blinking a couple of times as if that might have made him magically disappear from her line of vision. She fought the b disappointment that threatened to crash upon her. It wasn't Jaehyun.

 

Lucas charmingly smiled, taking his hands out of the front pockets of his black jeans. "Don't freak out, but Tzuyu told me your address,” he said, but at least he had the decency to look sheepish.

 

"And that's not completely terrifying or anything," she retorted, and at once she felt apologetic, because she was not the type to randomly snap at people without an explanation. Her parents had raised her to have manners. "Sorry, I didn't mean to snap at you," she said a little softer with less edge.

 

Lucas appeared to be mildy amused, unfazed by her rude remark and apology. "Don't even worry about it. It's my fault, I should have called first. It'd be creepy if someone from school randomly showed up at my house too." He shrugged his shoulders.

 

Yuqi awkwardly nodded her head in agreement. She had never really talked to Lucas before aside from school or a Jaehyun-related conversation; she preferring to avoid his social circle like the plague. It wasn’t personal, alright maybe it was, but she had a valid reason to. 

 

Truth be told, she didn’t know how to continue this exchange. Was he here for something? Should she kick him off her family’s property?

 

"But I was just wondering if you've heard from Jaehyun. He hasn't been coming to any of our dance practices or even sent us a text. I just figured because of how close you guys are, you'd know if he's around?" Lucas casually asked and Yuqi felt a gust of relief that he was here for a purpose. Then it hit her, she realized that she was not the only one without an idea of Jaehyun's whereabouts. This fact offered little to none consolation. If anything, it just diminished her hope more.

 

But how did you tell someone that your best friend had vanished off the face of the earth without even giving you a fair warning? It was quite simple really, you didn't.

 

"He's on vacation. The Bahamas," she smoothly lied, maintaining a composed facial expression. Jaehyun would owe her one when he came back and his spot on the school dance team was still there. "No cell reception because he lost his phone...during snorkelling?" She winced when she noticed that she phrased the last part in the form of a question, but Yuqi was never the most skilled liar.

 

His face contorted with confusion and he tilted his head to the side. "He never mentioned that when we talked about our summer plans. He said he was spending time with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter