Dreaming in Dream

Dreaming in Dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyukjae opens his eyes to see that he’s lying on the bed of his room.

The bedroom he shares with Donghae.

He flutters his eyes a few times, trying to regain his consciousness. Hyukjae isn’t exactly a morning person, but at least he isn’t as bad as Donghae, who wouldn’t wake up even if you shouted into his ears –

- Hyukjae! Wake up, sleepyhead!!

Hyukjae widens his eyes and turns into his left, where he hears the familiar cheery voice. Donghae is already awake and sitting there, looking down at him with a toothless smile.

- Donghae…? – He asks in surprise. – You actually woke up… earlier than me? What is the occasion?

- What occasion? Give me some credits, I can actually wake up early sometimes, you know. – Donghae pouts before regaining his smile. – And it’s also because I feel like making breakfast for us today. – True enough, Hyukjae can smell the smell of fried eggs and sausages.

- My god, Donghae. What did I do to deserve you? – Hyukjae grins back and pulls Donghae into a hug. The latter laughs out loud as he hugs him back.

- You better cherish me, then. Now hurry up and go brush your teeth! I’ll just go make some extra orange juice – oh wait, that’s strawberry milk for you. – Donghae tells him before going out of the room, closing the door behind him. Hyukjae sits on the bed with a goofy grin for a while before also getting up and go to the bathroom to brush his teeth.

It’s seven years since they have confessed to each other and lived together in the same house. And not a day does Hyukjae ever feel tired of Donghae. People say that love gets boring over time, but he only finds Donghae more and more exciting and endearing the more he’s with him. And he never wants to leave Donghae.

Hyukjae’s thought suddenly gets interrupted as he realizes how quiet the house is. The sound of Donghae preparing breakfast can no longer be heard. Widening his eyes, Hyukjae quickly gargle his mouth before storming out to the kitchen.

No one is there.

There are two plates of fried sausages and eggs with slices of bread next to them, two glasses of orange juice and strawberry milk – but no Donghae in sight.

- What the… What the hell?! Donghae!! Donghae, where are you?! – Hyukjae turns around frantically, trying to search for his lover. – Donghae?! DONGHAE!!!

 

========

 

Hyukjae sits up with his eyes open in horror, only to realize that he’s not in his room. Instead, he’s now sitting in the classroom of his high school.

“High… school?” He frowns. “Why the school? As far as I’m concerned, I’m already 24… and I have a job. What the heck am I doing, sitting in a classroom? Wait a minute, that doesn’t matter. Where’s Donghae? Where is he?”

- Hyukjae? – As if hearing his thoughts, a voice speaks to him in a worried tone. Hyukjae quickly turns his head to his right side, only to face another surprise. A young, 17-year-old Donghae with brown hair – while the 24-year-old Donghae has dyed orange hair – is sitting at the desk next to him, wearing his uniform, looking at him with concern.

- Hyukjae? – Donghae shakes Hyukjae’s shoulders lightly when he doesn’t respond, only stares at him like he’s a stranger. – What’s the matter? Why are you looking so scared? Did you dream of a nightmare?

- Donghae… Why are we in a classroom? – Hyukjae asks in disbelief. – Aren’t we… 24 already?

- 24? What are you talking about? – Donghae looks at him with similar disbelief before widening his eyes in understanding and lets out a light chuckle. – Oh, I see. You are still haunted by that nightmare you had earlier, aren’t you? No, Hyukjae, we’re only 17 right now. And the reason we are in the classroom is because you fell asleep in class earlier, and I didn’t want to wake you up.

- Really?! Then… I guess I must have had a very long dream, because… - Hyukjae trails off, before speaking again. - … because I saw you and I living together in the same house, like a… couple. – He finishes with a slight cough of embarrassment, and Donghae’s face also reddens.

- Is this a confession, Hyukjae? – Donghae tilts his head in expectation. – Because I hope it is. I… I also want to live together with you, after we graduate, since I… love you.

- I love you too, Donghae. – Hyukjae leans closer to Donghae and presses their lips together, cupping his cheeks. Donghae also raises his arms to pull Hyukjae into a hug and closes his eyes while kissing back. They close their eyes, engaging in the passionate kiss of a new love blossoming.

When Hyukjae opens his eyes, Donghae’s gone, again. Widening his eyes, Hyukjae frantically searches for Donghae in every corner of the classroom. His bags and other belongings are still on the desk, but there’s no trace of him – just like how he disappeared back in their house.

- No… This… This can’t be happening again!! Donghae!!! Where are you?! Stop messing around with me like this!! Donghae!! DONGHAE!!

 

========

 

Hyukjae opens his eyes once more, to find himself in an entirely different location. This time, the place looks like a room for dance practice, with huge mirrors on every wall. He recognizes it as the place he and Donghae usually go to on weekends to dance together… at the time they are both 24. And Hyukjae can see himself in the mirrors with bright blond hair – the hair color he decided to dye after his 23rd birthday.

“Just… what the heck is this?!” He growls in frustration. “Was that time I was with Donghae back in high school just a dream? And I have actually been 24 the whole time? But then… why did that feel so real? The kiss back then… and when I was in the bedroom with him… Why did they all feel so real?!”

The doors suddenly open, revealing an orange-haired Donghae walking in. Hyukjae looks up in astonishment. So Donghae is 24 after all. And he appears with slightly wet hair and a towel around his neck, probably having just finished taking a shower.

- Sorry for making you wait, Hyukjae. – Donghae kneels down next to him, smiling sheepishly. – But you know I always take quite some time in the bathroom after dancing. And because you promised to treat me out to dinner today, I took even more time in making myself as clean as possible.

- Oh… Is that so? – Hyukjae asks in a confused tone, still doesn’t quite believe what he’s seeing. This is definitely the 24-year-old Donghae he’s living with, and everything around him looks real enough, but for some reason, he still feels like this is not real.

- Donghae… Am I dreaming? Is this just a dream, and I will wake up soon enough? – He voices his suspicion out loud, making Donghae widen his eyes before laughing in amusement.

- Dreaming? No, Hyukjae, this is real. I am real, and you are too. – He leans closer to him with a seductive look in his eyes, brushing their lips together. – How could you think that this hot stuff in front of you is a dream?

Hyukjae gulps before raising a hand to pinch Donghae’s left , earning a moan from the other. He then traces his hand down to Donghae’s bottom and give a hard squeeze, m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter