Chapter 3; Nightmares come true

Vinctum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello! Its been a while, I'm very grateful for everyone that subscribed and I am very sorry for not being diligent with my updates! Nonetheless I managed to finish writing chapter 3, so here it is, hope you like it!!

Another nightmare, another sleepless night. It is a routine for Min Jee to wake up in cold sweat and dried tears. She doubts that these nightmares will stop, night after night they come. Some the same, others different. Gruesome nightmares they are, her as a murderer, killing all her close ones, even though she doesn’t want to. It’s like someone is possessing her body, she is unable to move it the way she wishes.

 

The girl looks ghastly as she sits in her bed, trying to make sense of the dream. Hair disheveled, the dark circles looking darker than they ever have, her eyes are a dark shade of brown, her skin pale like a pure white wall.

 

 Panic starts to fill her chest as she tries to remain reasonable. Nightmares don’t come true, right? They can’t come true, she tries telling herself, but underlining questions and assumptions of what ifs’, makes her chest rise as she tries to calm down her erratic breathing. 

 

Jin’s restaurant went up in flames, killing the kind chef in its deathly heat. It was so realistic, she could hear his screams, his cries, the fast crackling of fire. She could smell the burning wood, plastic and cloths. 

 

Pulling the blankets around her tighter she tries to reason with her overthinking mind and panicked heart. But no matter how hard she tries to calm down, she can’t, she needs to go there and make sure that everything is okay. Only that can calm her. 

 

With that in mind, she wills herself to get up from her bed. With small and slow steps she makes her way to the kitchen, pouring herself a glass of water, leaning  back on the counter.  Without looking back she sets the once full glass on the counter, her gaze directed at the white tiles of her apartment kitchen. 

 

She had always had an odd fascination with white tiles in kitchens, maybe because her family kitchen had those, it brought her some kind of comfort when she had moved away and got her own apartment. Now, it… just doesn’t bring her anything, no comfort that she felt when she looked at them. Blankly staring at those tiles, wanting to feel the peacefulness she had once felt when she looked at them. 

 

So focused in her thoughts and the staring, she didn’t hear her apartment door open, nor the footsteps that kept coming closer to her. 

 

“ Don’t tell me you fell back asleep like that? ” Taehyung laughs, grinning at her, but that grin was soon replaced with a frown as the girl raises her head to look at him, too tired to show her surprise at his appearance, let alone fake it. 

 

She forces a small, sheepish smile on her face, shaking her head as it lowers back down. Her gaze, again, focuses on the white tiles. 

 

“ Do you remember that time we accidentally broke the tiles in my family kitchen? ” She remembers that day as if it was yesterday. The two were trying to reach a heavy jug from the cupboard. However their weak little hands couldn’t hold it for long. And so the jug fell, it broke, along with it it broke a tile. They were both so scared of her moms reaction, they frantically searched for the Elmer’s glue. Trying to glue it back in place, of course they failed. The glue they had wasn’t exactly clear glue, but rather a nice aqua colour, with glitter. 

 

In the end her mother wasn’t upset, nor angry, she laughed and thought it was adorable. She even took a picture, with the pair standing in front wearing a guilty expression on their faces. Years later at the family reunion, they all talked about it and for the first time Taehyung and Min Jee could laugh about it. 

 

“ Yeah… Yeah I do. ” He snorts quietly. “ Are you okay? ”  Taehyungs’ eyes land on her pale face, not the normal pale, but rather the sickly pale, he analyses. She looks worse than she did the last time he saw her, he feels concerned for her health. 

 

She waves him off, weakly nodding her head. Not wanting to sound insane or even talk about her nightmare, she asks the concerned boy if he would like to go to Jin’s for brunch, to which the taller male agrees, giving her space to get ready and look relatively healthy. 

 

If that’s even possible at this point. 

 

****

 

The pair stand at the very same crosswalk as one of her nightmares, she will admit that it did make her panic a little, but somehow she was able to reason with her head as the light turned green. They make it across and take quick steps towards Jins’ to get away from the cold as soon as possible. 

 

But just as they near the restaurant, they see people running out of it as if they saw the devil inside. Some were crying while others were screaming at passersby to call for help. As the last person runs out, there is an eruption of fire, making everyone scream as they run to safety. 

 

Min Jee stands frozen for a second before running to the burning place, Taehyung

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter