Chapter 1; The Calling

Vinctum
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hello everyone! Finally managed to finish the first chapter! Why it took so long is because my life was going kind of south, not extremely but still enough to make me stress and be unable to write. Also got a bit of a writers' block, but thanks to my great friend who you may know as Tetsu_jin, I managed to finish this chapter. I will do my best to update regulary and I hope you enjoy it!

 


  Song Min Jee knew this day would come, she knew, yet she still wasn’t prepared for it to come this soon. It had started a few months ago, one assignment was handed out to which she said, she would do, not that day but the next one. She didn’t. 

 

The next day exam dates were announced, all packed in a span of 2 weeks, one exam for each of the days. She said she would start studying immediately even refusing her friends invitation to go to a restaurant that weekend. She didn’t. All she did was lay on her couch, stuffing her face with countless snacks, binge watching a criminal drama. 


  Let’s not forget the countless assignments from before that she still hadn’t done, let alone looked at them. This day was long coming, being piled with work, over work, over work. Not knowing where to start, she sat behind her desk staring at her laptop, a blank document open, screaming at her to write something, to get it over and done with. 

 

  But Min Jee just sat and stared at the bright screen of her laptop, biting her nails, overthinking and internally panicking. The screen illuminated her face, dark circles under her eyes, the redness in her eyes screaming at her to shut them for a second. 


  Her knees were tightly hugged against her body as she pulled her hair back staring at the blank page. The blanket around her shoulders slowly falling to the floor, much like her emotions and career. She willed herself to write something, but she didn’t.


  She couldn’t, her fingers were too numb, her mind clouded by the, seemingly, endless assignments she still needed to do. Her anxiety getting worse and worse as seconds, minutes passed without doing anything. The 20 year old wanted to cry, scream at the universe for all of this. But deep down she knew it wasn’t the universes’ fault that her life was falling apart, in the end all of this was her fault. 

 

  Half assing them was not an option, in high school it was, but university was different. High school compared to university was practically a playground where kids fell, screamed, laughed, ran around without a worry. University is hell compared to high school. The expectations from her family to succeed, was like adding fuel to the fire burning in hell.
As Min Jee hugged her legs tighter to her body, a stray tear left her red, sore eyes.  Tear after tear, it all came pouring down. She rocked her body back and forth, her head screaming at her. 


  “Please, anyone, anything, just help me…. ” She cried with a shaky voice, much like her unsteady and erratic breathing. 

“ Help me…. I can’t do this alone. ” She cried and cried, 

“ I need something to help me. ” repeating her words like a mantra of some sort.
Leaning her numb body on the leather chair she finally closed her eyes and willed herself to calm down. Taking deep breaths, she ceased her tears, that a second ago seemed uncontrollable. 


  After she had finally calmed down, she wiped her wet cheeks and started writing one of her assignments. After one assignment was done, she started another and so it continued to be another sleepless night. 

 

Once the sun started coming up, waking all the flowers and sleeping animals, putting the night life back to sleep. That was when Min Jee finished her last assignment. Her eyes burned from the bright light of her screen and the sun. With a calm sigh she stood up and laid on her bed, falling into a deep slumber. This time she deserved it.

 

****

 

  “One last exam and I am free for a bit, finally.” Sighed Min Jee, feeling a lot lighter and less burdened than she did two weeks ago. She slowly walked across campus to her class to take her last exam.  Even though she had studied, she still felt nervous, feeling as if she hadn’t studied enough. But even if she does fail a few of the exams she can always retake them and prepare better.

 
“ Min Min, how’s it going?” Said one of her close friends Taehyung as he skipped towards her, slinging his arm across her narrow shoulders.
“ A lot better now that I am taking my last exam today!” She laughed, smiling at the light brown haired boy who was grinning at her.
“ Awesome! Then, how about we catch up over drinks tonight?” Taehyung asked forming his hand into a cup, tilting it up towards his lips a few times to accentuate his question. Min Jee imitated his movements, connecting her thumb and forefinger into a circle.
“Alright! I’ll call you later, good luck on your exam!” He yelled, skipping away towards his class.

Min Jee watched him as he ran ahead in the direction of his class, as he’s probably running late for it, per usual. As she started walking towards her class that is starting in 5 minutes, a memory was brought to her mind, to when they had first met. Those were the good times.  

 

  She was around eight years old when they had met. Taehyung was new to school as his family had moved to her town for work purposes. At first glance, he seemed strong and full of confidence but at the same time Min Jee could see the slight fear in his eyes as he looked over the classroom full of his future classmates.
  He was sat right beside her as no one wanted to sit next to her, because of her blunt mouth. She didn’t have many friends back then, she recalls it was because of her very sharp mouth, never being able to keep her thoughts to herself. Now it just makes her laugh, she calmed down a bit with being blunt, but she was still straightforward.
  From the moment they spoke, they clicked and became inseparable up until college, even now they were very close but they had grown out of their childish ways and met new people, who appreciated them the way they were. Even after so many years they were still the best of friends, meeting up regularly and confiding in each other. 

 

****

  

  The exam was easier than she had initially thought, but that could as well be a bad sign or maybe a good one. A sign of failure o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter