I.

Piece

There was this georgeous lady who lives nearby. She goes out every morning and gets back almost midnight, my eyes were always into her since she moved in, I don't know her name, I don't know her job, I don't even know where her house is, I just know that she lives here, in this neighbourhood. Her smile is amazing, and she seems to be so kind. Every morning she helps the old lady feed her dogs, and every night when she walks down the street she always has this cute smile on her face, I wonder who makes her happy, I sometimes wish it was me. How cheesy.

Don't get me wrong I'm not a stalker. I'm just always there, like a ghost, wandering around the streets, always playing that old broken piano chillin' in the neighbour's abandoned home. It's my daily routine actually.

So let's start off with my mornings. I wake up, brush my teeth, eat ramen and drink milk, go outside and jog, then comeback home and shower, I live alone, I'm not that socially healthy person, I think I'd ruin a person's life if I touch them so nope. Ain't getting an interaction.

My nights are simple. I cook food, shower, walk around the city, eat more, then wander. I love going home late without any important reasons, I think I'm into these streetlights. I also spend time drinking alone, and every night I go to my neighbor's abandoned home just to play his piano, welp, can't afford one so I should take the advantages.

I'm Kim Dahyun, I work from home. I was going to continue college but then my parents got into an accident, died. And all our money was inherited by my Dad's greedy sister without leaving me a penny. But what can I do? That's how life works, atleast I have this huge house of ours, they can't get this it's mine, it's the only thing that I have now, I'd die without this. 

Maybe I still have money, I write music, and get paid monthly, it's the only thing I can do, it's the only thing that I'm good at, maybe it's my way of expressing my existence, my emotions and everything. Music is my life, like seriously, it's really my life. 

Oh my God back to the girl. Have I mentioned that she's drop-dead georgeous? Yes? Okay. She is! She's really really beautiful and it hurts me a lot. Her long wavy hair, her eyes sparkling like stars, her smile that ditched and replaced the sun, oh God I'm whipped. I JUST WANNA KNOW HER NAME AND TELL HER HOW MUCH I ADORE HER ISN'T THAT SO HARD TO GET.

It's clearly 9pm now and I need to go cook dinner for me to survive. And by the way she'd be returning home later, I hope we'd meet, meh in my face I'm a coward.

------------------

Dahyun cooked her dinner and ate. Kinda craving for beer so she dressed up, put on a large hoodie and went to the convinience store. She bought cans of beer and a bag of cheeseballs, she didn't want to go straight home and she let the stars guide her for atleast this night, just once. 

She sighed relief as she looked up admiring the stars and watching smoke come out off as she breathe, letting the cold air hug her warm body. She saw bulbs hanging off a thread, colorful lights made her smile dumbly, and as she looked to her right there's her home. 

But she really don't wanna go home yet. The abandoned house was open, it's not scary because lights are all over the place. 

She giggled as she saw the piano displayed at the front of the house, gathered by grasses, keys guided by fairy lights and as she sat and opened her first beer, she looked up and said.

"Just this night, I'll try to remember everything." she then softly smiled.

Drinking half of the can, she finally hit a note. Nostalgia leading her fingers to every key she's pressing, her heart clenching at the music she's playing.

The piece she was playing was from her childhood, when everything was in order, when everything is fine, when she was okay, before she got dragged into this nightmare that turned her into a darker person.

The piece she loved the most, taught by the person she treasured. 

She suddenly stopped playing.

"Come back.... I need you right now.. I need you to hug me and tell me everything's fine..." She murmured, tears flowing down her eyes.

She unstoppably drank the remaining alcohol in her first can, then layed her head on the keys, making a slight noise. 

She saw her as a teen playing the piece, and another beside her, singing, her mind can clearly hear the voice. She saw the girl pat her head, and pinky sweared with her. 

"I'll never leave you Dahyun-ah. I can never leave you too Sana-ya." She weakly mumbled, a smile appearing on her face as she stretched her arm hoping to hold the memory that turned into a smoke as she laid her hands on. 

Tears started falling her eyes again. "I still treasure your promise Sana-unnie.. Where are you?" she said, her eyes getting blurry because of the tears. 

She sat up and fixed her posture once again. She look at her hands, shaking, she tried to calm down. And as she hit the first key once again, she was so filled that she kept pressing them harder with loud childish sobs, not caring about the neighbours sleeping. Her emotions wasa bursting that she felt angry, sad, and all. 

 

*

Sana was so tired as she walk herself home. Still waiting for fate to make it's move, going to a closed company trying to wait for someone. 

She stopped and sighed. "Kim Dahyun-ah where are you?" She mumbled weakly. Then continued walking. She looked at the stars while walking, adoring their existence as she questioned how are they dead. 

"Will I still shine when I'm dead?" She chuckled. But no one responded. Ofcourse. She kept walking and walking until she saw colorful lights hanging off a thread, she smiled at the view. 

She continued walking but she heard something familiar, something so so so familiar that she had to stop to hear it clearly. 

She then started humming, looking for a sign of where the melody is coming from. 

She walked few more steps then she saw a girl sitting on it's back playing the piano. 

"I- I know this" she mumbled. She quickly made her way to the house and stopped as she heard loud sobs.

The girl also stopped. All that was left was the sound of pain coming out of her. Clenching Sana's heart leading her feet to move closer to the girl.

"By a-any chance.." She stuttered. But the girl seemed to hear.

She looked to where Sana is standing.

Sana froze.

"D-Dahyun?" She stuttered. But Dahyun looked confused, "Dahyun it's unnie... Sana unnie!" She cleared, weakly giving Dahyun her pinky finger.

Dahyun just looked at her, still crying.The girl she'd been wanting to meet. The girl she's whipped for, is the girl who made her feel loved the times she was so numb, was the girl who taught her the piece. She can't hold it anymore, she jumped on her feet and pulled Sana in her arms. 

"Where were you?" She said in between sobs.

"I'm sorry it took so long Dahyunie, I finally found you" Sana said softly, hugging the girl as tight as she could.

"Don't ever leave me again. I need you" Dahyun murmured burrying her head on Sana's neck.

"Forgive me Dahyunie, I promise I won't do that again" Sana said. 

As Dahyun calmed down, Sana pulled her to sit once again. 

"The usual piece madame." She giggled.

"You'll sing." Dahyun smiled.

Hitting the first key for the third time, it seemed so soft and light. The first one was empty, the second one was heavy. But this time, it was so complete that the pain was replaced with a smile.

As Dahyun finished the piece with a smile, Sana stood up to pat her head. 

"Where's the pinky promise tho?" Dahyun pouted.

Sana just smiled at her and intertwined her pinky with Dahyun's. "I promise I'll never leave you again, I'll be the cause of your euphoria." Sana softly said and pulled Dahyun to stand up. Soon after their eyes met, snow came, longing visible in their eyes. Dahyun tiptoed for a kiss, a soft kiss that melted the weight Sana's been carrying on her back, a soft kiss that placed Dahyun's stars in order again.

A soft kiss that told them nothing's gonna go wrong again.