Chapter 2

Celestial Love

I was absolutely ecstatic. All week I was a bit overly cheerful and especially kind to everyone I usually took for granted. I thanked greeters for holding the doors and saying hi. It was a bit odd for everyone else, with the exception of Wheein, who was super hyper. Of course, this was normal, with Wheein being a literal beagle. Still, there was a gleam in her eyes I’d never seen before, like a poor kid in a candy store.

The last Friday night of the month, Wheein and I decided to go out to a movie. Free Night Friday was a weekly event that the theater had. We went to see a new sci-fi movie that we both figured would actually be terrible. All we cared about was the experience.

“You only have one week left,” Wheein said to me as we stood in line for snacks. “Excited?”

“Hell yeah!” I responded, grinning. “You only have five days! It’s gonna be awesome!”

We chatted a bit more before getting to the front of the line. We bought two tickets and a large popcorn. We were both full of energy, earning some weird looks.

The movie itself went by quickly. It was fast-paced, too fast actually.

“Do you have any idea what happened?” I asked Wheein as we were exiting the theater. She shrugged in response. “I think the main character had some seriously flawed logic.” She laughed. “I honestly don’t know though, I fell asleep.”

We both laughed. “How? It was so loud!” I shook my head at her weirdness.

“The same way you sleep through class, idiot.” Wheein grinned at her mocking.

“That was one time!” I answered, exasperated.

Wheein laughed more, looking like an excited puppy. “And you had detention for a month. I’m never letting it go.”

“That professor seriously had it out for me. Once he tried to get me suspended for being ten minutes late. I had the flu.”

“I remember that!” Wheein’s grin was ear to ear. “Anyway, ready to go home?”

***

Back at home, I made kimchi ramen. Wheein and I sat on our couch, she in her fluffy pink pajamas, and me in my pastel blue polka-dotted pajamas.

“Do you think she’ll be cute?”

“Hm?”

“My partner. Do you think she’ll be cute?”

Wheein laughed at the question. “Dude, you’re so gay.”

I shrugged. “Duh. I blame it on a system based on gender division. This place is like a breeding ground for lesbians.” I had a point, though I was joking. Unlike warriors, magicians always trained with their own gender. There was no reason for it, and all it accomplished was making the girls look much more attractive.

“Wait, how would that work? I mean, you’re right, but still.”

Wheein’s puzzlement caused me to laugh, scrunching my nose muscles cutely. “Don’t question it.”

“I guess we’ll just blame it on the power of the gays.” Wheein laughed, and I did too. Our ualities were no secrets to the other trainees. We couldn’t change it, so we both said a silent “what the hell” and decided to make it something we were both proud of.

“Well, there was the rainbow thing,” Wheein continued. The ‘rainbow thing’ was an interesting situation that had happened during class when we were teenagers. Wheein was excellent at bending light, and we found that out when we were supposed to be creating heat without a central object like a wand or staff. Wheein had summoned the energy, just in the form of light, prismed light to be exact. The entire hall had erupted in color, and even though it was quite beautiful, Wheein still failed for the day.

I laughed upon thinking back to the situation. “Gays are actually magic. Why is that so funny?”

Wheein laughed as well and looked down at her bowl. We had both finished our food.

The rest of the night was just the two of us getting ready for bed. The two of us walked down the hall to our rooms. Before shutting our doors, we looked back at each other. “Night, Unnie,” Wheein said, before yawning.

I smiled. “Good night, Wheeinie.”