Part 2

Double Rainbow

I wasn't really popular in my high school days. I was the quiet girl. Mousy. Watching from the side lines while everyone was having fun. My parents had actually decided to make me study abroad during high school, along with my older brother. While he found friends immediately, I had a harder time. The language was different, the culture was different and I never really felt at home. While my brother decided to stay in the States after graduation, I moved back to Korea as soon as possible to go to university here.

 

It was only by chance that I happened to stumble into Minnie in my introduction to economics class. We sat in adjacent seats and it was when she couldn't decipher the teacher's messy handwriting that she turned to me.

 

“What does it say right there? Anti-cilical?” Her eyebrows were furrowed with confusion. It looked quite cute.

 

“Mh,” I cracked my index finger while looking at the blackboard. “It says 'anti-cyclical'.”

 

“Anti-cyclical?” She cringed after saying the word, her voice going a bit higher at the end. She blew against her hair in frustration, rasing her chin. “What does that even mean?”

 

It was Minnie who ended up introducing me to the rest. Soyeon, Jungwoo, Yuqi, Jaehyun, Doyoung, and Lucas. I was in awe when I first met them, quite literally. To me, they all seemed completely ethereal, like demi gods or mythical creatures. They were all rather known on campus.

 

Soyeon had this incredibly fierce image. She was wearing leather jackets and thick, black eyeliner every day. She likes video games and shopping more than anything and hates acting cute with a burning passion, but behind her loud actions is a thoughtful person. She is rational and mature more than anyone else.

 

Then there is Jungwoo. If I had to describe him in one word, it would be soft. His voice. His personality. He is a theater major and to me, seeing him on stage for the first time was the biggest surprise. Seeing him act like villain in a play was so convincing that it almost made me suspicious of him. That's how good he is.

 

Attached to Jungwoo's hip there is Doyoung. Despite Yuqi frequently questioning it, the two keep insisting that they aren't dating, especially Doyoung. He has raven black hair and a knack for diffusing tension by making bad jokes. Seriously, he makes dad jokes all the time and sometimes they can get a little onoxious, but he is a good friend.

 

Then, there is Yuqi. Yuqi and I often have similar thoughts, so often in fact that Soyeon calls us 'twins'. But contrary to me, she is more expressive and often forces me get out of my shell. She can be quite noisy and she is what one would call a 'girly' girl. She loves pink, makeup and posting pictures of her outfits on Instagram.

 

Jaehyun is the campus heartthrob. It's impossible to ignore the giggling of the girls whenever he passes them. But despite being popular, he is down to earth. Jaehyun is observant and attentive, but if Soyeon is the glue holding us together, he is the mediator that keeps us from falling apart.

 

There is one last person. Lucas. Lucas Wong. Hobby Basketball player. Cold noodle lover. He likes anime and horror movies. He is funny and sociable and wears black almost every day. People tend to underestimate him, I've noticed. They assume he is lazy or a player, but out of our group of friends, he is actually the most hard working and sincere one. He spends most of his time studying or working and when he isn't, he's on the phone with his mother back in Hong Kong.