Night shifts

(extended) One shot Jennie x Irene

You could say a lot of things changed after that one dinner Jennie and Joohyun had when their Starbucks meet up ended. The dinner itself was great; natural flowing conversations, some hand-touching when one of them made a joke that was not even that funny and even some feeding after one asked how their dish tasted.

But then the end of the night approached, and this is where Jennies anxiety took the lead of the night. Some inappropriate jokes were made, coming from both sides, but when it got to the point of actually acting in on them, Jennie flaked. The thought of her hooking up with a stranger, even when Joohyun really made sure Jennie was comfortable at all times, really made her uneasy.

So, after Joohyun paid the bill and asked what they should do next, Jennie came up the weakest excuse someone could ever make and made her way home, in a taxi Joohyun paid for. After feeling too embarrassed for coming up with that horrible excuse, she refused to contact Joohyun again before she would've made things even worse. Jennie definitely wanted to message Joohyun and apologize for the way she acted. Time passed, and she did not know if it was still appropriate for her to message Joohyun again. Jennie reminds herself that it was an arrangement and not a date. Besides, Joohyun probably forgot who Jennie was anyways since she meets up with a lot of girls on the regular.

 

About two months passed and Jennies life actually took quite a turn. Chaeyoung talked to her friend and got Jennie a job at a local convenience store. The hours are perfect, since her boss is so flexible on hours and Jennie can work whenever she wants. If she wants to take some time off to study, her boss is not strict about it either. Jennie is loving her job, but it is severely underpaid when you look at all the tasks she has to do. But she did not want to complain after finally getting a job that fits her preferences.

 

While staring at her open book and forcing herself to study, Jennie looks at her phone when she sees a text from her boss asking if she could cover the night shift since her colleague is sick. After hesitating at first, she decides to do it anyways. Night shifts are notorious for being dreadfully boring, but atleast she would make some money. Besides, her classes only start at three in the afternoon tomorrow.

 

Jennie enters the store and talks a bit to her colleague before she leaves. Its 10 PM and her shift ends at 6 AM. She just knows this shift is going to feel like forever.

At 1 AM there is absolutely no one in the store. Jennie decides to check if everything is in stock to keep herself busy. She checks the coffee machine and sees that the plastic cups need to be restocked. While walking into the storage room she hears the bell that rings when someone enters the store. Im coming! Jennie speaks out with a loud tone to inform the customer. Its okay take your time a friendly tone answers.

Jennie panics when she thinks she recognizes the voice. Could it be? Is that?

She walks up to the counter and her thoughts were right. Its Joohyun.

 

A moment of silence lingers in the air when they see eachother again. Jennie recalls how awkward they ended the arrangement and wants to slap herself in the face for letting that happen.

Jennie Kim never thought I would ever see you again Joohyun smiles. Hey, well here I am Jennie lets out an awkward laugh. So, you work here now? Thats good. I remember you were looking for a job and stuff. I assume you are able to combine it with uni? Joohyun raises her eyebrows. Jennie nods her head You remember that? I mean- yeah my boss offers me flexible hours, so I am really happy about that

Joohyun places the money for the products on the counter and leaves a generous amount in the tip jar for Jennie. She puts the stuff in her bag. Did you just start working here? I visit this place almost every night, but I have never seen you before  

Jennie closes the register and hands Joohyun the change. No, I have been working here for about...what? Two months, I guess? I work daytime shifts though, I am just filling in for someone that is sick. Joohyun shakes her head and pushes the change back in Jennies direction, making Jennie put it in her tip jar. Oh yeah you are right. Usually I see this uninterested girl that just goes through her magazine and does not even look me in the eye when I pay. You are definitely more helpful. Maybe consider working more night shifts? Buying slurpees from this place almost every night will be more fun then

But you did not even buy a slurpee tonight

Guess I have to come back for it later then

 

 

 

No lie, Jennie did secretly hope that Joohyun would come back to get that slurpee. Her heart aches a little bit when she ends up not coming back.

 

Did she have any right to be missing Joohyun? It was never a date to begin with, it was a stupid arrangement where she gets paid to keep someone company. Maybe it was wrong of her to involve feelings, but Jennie could not help it. She tries to shake off the feeling though and gets back to work.

 

The following day Jennie sits in her boring lecture and there is one thing she definitely cant deny: she cant stop thinking about the run in she had with Joohyun.  She gets out her phone and sends a text message to her boss, informing him that it would not be a problem to cover more night shifts. Not even five minutes later her boss texts her back giving her good news. Jennie can cover tonights shift too.

 

Jennie arrives at work looking a little nicer than usual. She decides to finish up all the tasks she needs to do straight away, so that later in the nigh the only thing she has to do is stand behind the cash register. Time flies when she is doing her tasks, but once she is done and standing behind the register, time could not go any slower. Jennie keeps waiting with a nervous feeling since she is not even sure that Joohyun will show up tonight, but she can hope right?

The bell rings when a customer opens the door. Jennie tries to look discreetly who it is but its a miss. No Joohyun.

Hours later the bored girl decides to sweep the floor. The store could not be more abandoned since there has not been a costumer for the past three hours. Jennie regrets taking up the night shift when she feels a wave of sleep hitting her. She leans towards her broom and closes her eyes for a few minutes.

Now I feel bad for bashing your colleague when you are out here literally sleeping

Jennie gets startled from the unexpected comment and opens her eyes.

Joohyun grins. Dont be scared its just me. I want to pay for this slurpee She shows the slurpee in her hand.

Jennie apologizes and laughs, and they walk up to the register. Joohyun once again leaves a generous tip for Jennie. She takes a sip from her slurpee and winks at Jennie. See you later

 

At some point Joohyun visiting the store at night to buy a slurpee from Jennie becomes a routine. It has been three weeks since Jennie offered her boss to cover every night shift possible, and ofcourse the boss happily agreed. Was this clashing with the work she had to prepare for classes? Yes.

Was it even worth it? Seeing Joohyun walk into the store every night getting her slurpee, her awkwardly greeting Joohyun when she approaches the counter, Joohyun leaving a big tip in her jar and Joohyun saying goodbye in a flirty way? Most definitely.

 

One evening the usual routine came to an end though. Joohyun came in and got her signature blue raspberry and wild cherry slurpee, but before leaving a big tip as usual she looked a little too long at Jennie before asking her a question. I have this important dinner tomorrow with one of my clients. I want you to accompany me

Jennie is surprised but her heart skips a beat when she hears that. She remembers something though. I want to, but I have work tomorrow, double shifts and since we're short on staff I dont think I can. Joohyun quickly fires back. I will cover the salary you miss for tomorrow if you call in sick Jennie hesitates a bit

I will double it Joohyun carefully says while not breaking eyecontact with Jennie.

Joohyun its not that-

I will triple it

Jennie swiftly agrees before Joohyun will go even further with covering her costs. Joohyun smirks proudly for convincing Jennie that easily. Good girl

Before Joohyun exits the store, she turns around to a flustered Jennie, loving every moment of the impact she has on her. By the way, message me your address so I can pick you up tomorrow. We need to go shopping. I want my baby to look good when I am showing her off at dinner