Chapter 4

25 Years, Always By Your Side

Hi, I'm back!

Firstly, I'm so, so, SO SORRY I updated this story so late. September has been real hectic for me and I just couldn't find the right time to write. Hope you will still enjoy this chapter nevertheless! :)

 

-

 

Days of hard and gruelling training (once again, Kibum’s words, as he complained how his body condition wasn’t like back then during his youth anymore) slowly passed, and SHINee’s reunion concert was getting nearer.

 

They had undergone a press conference to announce about their concert and gave the public a little sneak peek regarding what they’re going to do there, but there weren’t any words regarding Sungsoo. The management had warned them not to, since they were afraid Shawols would end up boycotting the concert if they thought SM was trying to replace Jonghyun.

 

“Pushing all the blame to us, I say,” Kibum had said begrudgingly before the press conference. “He will just appear there, singing Jonghyun-hyung’s lines and dancing Jonghyun-hyung’s parts, and the fans will be all confused and angry, and then SM will just stay silent and we will only be getting all sorts of nasty comments afterwards.”

 

Despite of that, even Kibum was surprised that they got along pretty well with Sungsoo. Of course, Sungsoo knew his position as a trainee and always talked to them in honorifics and polite words, but he was quite fun to be with. He was always eager to learn from his “sunbaenim-deul” and took all their suggestions and advices to heart, and he always seemed to pour himself wholeheartedly into the trainings. Whether it’s because he got a chance to perform with his favorite idols, or whether he didn’t want to upset SHINee, Shawols, and SM because of his lacklustre performance, or because he had a huge burden on his shoulders as the stand-in for Jonghyun, or maybe all of those reasons combined, SHINee themselves didn’t know. But they were happy with the presence of this young trainee among them, and it didn’t take that long before they started warming up for him.

 

There were some interesting things about him though. Firstly, his knowledge regarding SHINee’s songs and dances were extensive, even extraordinary. They had watched as he “auditioned” for them, indeed, and admitted that he did so well it almost as if he owned the dance and the song himself – but that didn’t only apply for those two songs. In fact, with every SHINee dance given to him, he was able to execute all the moves nicely. Maybe not that perfectly – Taemin had had to correct him a few times and point out the right moves – but so naturally, as if the dance had been embossed into his bones and muscles all his life.

 

And that knowledge wasn’t limited for the dances only! His voice color might not be the best ever, but all the lyrics and notes rolled out of his tongue so smoothly and always, always hit their right spot. He always asked the SHINee members, especially Jinki, to listen to his singing and correct him if he sang a wrong note or lyric, or if his voice broke. But such instance never happened.

 

SHINee members talked about that one day when Sungsoo wasn’t available since he had to do something with his original group.

 

“He’s really good,” Minho said. “And really natural. I think if the fans see him later performing with us, they won’t be too mad – though he will never be as good as Jonghyun-hyung, of course,” he added quickly as Kibum glared at him.

 

“Yes, but that’s not what we are talking about here, Minho,” Kibum said impatiently. “We know he’s good…but how come he became THAT good?”

 

“He’s a Shawol after all, you know, hyungs,” Taemin spoke up. “He might’ve swallowed all our songs and dances since debut, and practiced them all over and over again in the hope he would become like us one day.”

 

Kibum rolled his eyes. “That sounds really arrogant, Taemin-ah.”

 

“I don’t mean to be arrogant. I was only stating my tho-“

 

“I understand, Taemin-ah,” Jinki cut in. “And yes, you do have a point, he might’ve done so. We also saw the video of his SM audition and he used our songs there. But there is one thing I need to point out as well. He might have practiced our dances and songs but he never actually performed with us no??”

 

“…Yes,” Taemin replied hesitantly. “And what about that Jinki-hyung? What’s your point?”

 

Jinki pulled out his cellphone and played a video in there – an old performance of them in SMTown in which Minho wasn’t able to perform with them due to drama filming and they got Sehun from EXO to fill in for the dance. “Well, look at this. Focus on Sehun. Notice how he danced. And what do you think?”

 

“He danced well,” Taemin answered after looking at the video for awhile. “But…he wasn’t that in sync with us. I mean…he did execute the moves well and the timing wasn’t that off either but…there’s just something…lacking.”

 

“Exactly my point,” Jinki nodded. “And now, look at the video I got during our first training with him when we danced Lucifer.”

 

The video was played, and they all watched in silence. For long, no one uttered a single word, even after the video had ended. But as they looked at each other, they knew they had the same thoughts in mind – no matter whether he got his movements right or not, there was something in his dance that simply screamed SHINee.

 

“He captures the essence of our dances really well,” Taemin, being the main dancer, shared his thoughts again. “But not only that. It’s as if… As if…”

 

“As if he’s been dancing with us all his life,” Minho completed Taemin’s statement quietly.

 

“Well, maybe he has danced with us before, it’s not like we have never danced with anyone other than our group,” Taemin suggested. “We could’ve met him in a variety show like Star King or something and then danced with him and…”

 

“Don’t be dumb,” Kibum responded hotly. “We only knew this kid ever since SM thought it was a good idea to stick some trainee as Jonghyun-hyung’s replacem-“

 

“It’s to fill in for him, Kibum-ah, not to replace him,” Jinki sighed.

 

Kibum ignored Jinki’s statement. “The point is, we haven’t known him before, and he’s also a good many years younger than us. I don’t think he ever danced with us in any kind of events. And even if he had, he must’ve mentioned it at the first chance when meeting us, or you, Taemin-ah, as you’re his dance trainer. It would be really weird if he hid that fact upon meeting his favorite idol group.”

 

Silence again as they tried to digest what Kibum just said.

 

“I think you do have a point,” Minho admitted. “But that still doesn’t explain how he’s able to do s-“

 

Minho’s words were promptly cut by the knocks on the door. Jinki quickly leapt on his feet and opened it, revealing Sungsoo, who inarguably looked tired after whatever business he did with his group, but with a big cheery smile still plastered on his face nevertheless.

 

“Afternoon, sunbaenim-deul!” he said brightly. “I’m sorry I’m late for training, I had to record a pre-debut song with my gr-“ his voice trailed off as he realized how Kibum, Minho, and Taemin were still sitting in a circle with grim expression in their faces. “Is…is there something wrong…?” he asked hesitantly.

 

Minho quickly put on a smile and stood up, patting Sungsoo on the shoulder. “It’s alright,” he assured the young trainee. “There’s nothing wrong. We were just discussing about the upcoming concert, and naturally we were a bit nervous since it’s been long since we last performed together. But there’s nothing you should be worried about, okay?”

 

Thankfully, Sungsoo seemed to accept Minho’s explanations, as he merely nodded at it. “Alright then,” he said. “Anyway, what are we going to do today, sunbaenim-deul?”

 

“Well, actually we plan to have a vocal training today with Youngjin-hyung,” Jinki said, glancing at the clock. “But he’s not here yet, so why don’t we practice by ourselves first?”

 

Sungsoo nodded and did a bit of a vocal warming-up before starting the practice for real. Today they decided to do Romantic, a song from their first full album, The SHINee World. As Jonghyun got the first singing lines of the song, after an opening rap from Minho, Sungsoo quickly readied himself. As Minho finished the rap, he began singing.

 

Nae maeumi ganeundero

Nan amusaenggak eobsi geotgo itji

Ni moseubeul dalmeun nugungareul chatneun geonji nan

Geunyang geu jarie seoisseo

 

(Without any thoughts,

I walk to wherever my heart goes,

I must be looking for someone like you,

I just stand in place)

 

The notes and lyrics were delivered clearly with full confidence, and without any mistakes at all. Taemin looked at Sungsoo with interest as the younger trainee sang. My hyungs were right, he thought. It’s one thing to cover a song…but what he’s doing right now…it’s no cover. He owns the song. He makes the song completely his

 

Jinki elbowed Taemin lightly, reminding the maknae that his part came after Kibum’s. Surprised and slightly unready, Taemin quickly stumbled into the song.

 

Tto dareun sarangeul hal sudo itdago nan mideosseotnunde

Gaseum ane neoneun nakincheoreom jiul suge eobseo

Saranghae

 

(I believed that I could love another person again

But as if you were an imprint, I can’t erase you from my heart

I love you)

 

“Wait, stop right there,” Kibum quickly cut in. “I think you made a mistake. The last word isn’t ‘saranghae’, is it?”

 

Taemin blinked and tried to repeat his lines in a slower tempo. “Really? Did I remember wrongly? I think it’s the right one though?”

 

“No, I think Kibum’s right, the word ‘saranghae’ sounds a bit out of place,” Minho said, frowning. “I remember that it’s supposed to be an often-used word, but I can’t recall it.”

 

“Isn’t it ‘mianhae’?” Jinki suggested. “The person felt sorry because they can’t erase the one they love from their heart?”

 

“No, no, ‘mianhae’ doesn’t feel suitable either…”

 

Kibum huffed and rolled his eyes. “Well, you all can continue debating all you want, but what I’m going to do is to check the internet,” he stated. “There must be our lyrics there and we can find out the right o-“

 

“Excuse me, sunbaenim-deul, but I think the right one is ‘eotteokhae’.”

 

Four pairs of eyes stared incredulously at Sungsoo, as it was none other than the young trainee who provided the correction. Before anyone could say anything, he opened his mouth and began singing that verse in correct lyrics and tune.

 

As he sang, Taemin felt weird. No, not because Sungsoo knew the right word – any Shawols might be able to tell them that anyway. And not because Sungsoo sang it well either – that guy managed to execute every SHINee song nicely since the beginning anyway that it’s barely something new. No, it was the feeling when he sang that verse – as if he was guiding Taemin, as if he was silently encouraging Taemin to sing and be more confident in the maknae’s own voice – and somehow, it reminded Taemin of his early days as an idol, though the maknae couldn’t explain why.

 

He didn’t even realize that he was staring at Sungsoo dazedly until Kibum cleared his throat. “Taemin-ah, stop staring at someone like that. It’s impolite.”

 

“Ah no, it’s alright,” Sungsoo chuckled. “I’m sure Taemin-sunbaenim doesn’t mean bad. Besides…he often blanks out like that. I don’t mind.”

 

Now the SHINee members looked at each other, suspicion bubbling inside them. While it’s no secret that Taemin was sometimes inattentive to his surroundings, he always tried not to daze during work. Yet Sungsoo talked about how Taemin often blanked out as if he often saw it with his own eyes.

 

Who’s this trainee actually?

 

-

 

Cliffhangers! XD who is Sungsoo actually??? dun dun dun

I drew inspiration for the part with the song Romantic from here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUmDgcfg9lg

*hint hint* XD

Oh, and I have nothing against Sehun or EXO, really. I just felt when he filled in for Minho's dance parts during SMTown, he didn't really fit there with SHINee. But he's still a good dancer in his own way! I'm sorry if it offends any of you :(

Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated, and please pray for me to be able to finish the next chapter faster *sobs