FIRST BURN

First Burn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"First Burn"

(feat. Arianna Afsar, Julia Harriman, Lexi Lawson, Rachelle Ann Go, Shoba Narayan)

 

I saved every letter you wrote me

From the moment I saw you

I knew you were mine

You said you were mine

I thought you were mine

 

Sandara Park opened the lid of the box she retrieved from inside her closet. With trembling hands, the former idol and current actress grabbed a handful of the box’s contents. She gently spread them out on the carpeted floor where she was seated in their spacious Jeju home. Grabbing another handful, she repeated this action until the box became empty.

Showing varying degrees of age and wear and tear, she touched the letters her husband has given her since the beginning. She saved everything he gave her. From long, heartfelt letters confessing his love to those begging for forgiveness; to notes scribbled on scraps of paper and lyrics of the songs he wrote for her.

She saved each and every one because she’s always know that he was hers. Even way back when they were young and struggling, even when she was doubting herself and his feelings, even when weren’t together; she’s always know one thing: Kwon Jiyong is hers.

 

He’s always been vocal about it. Swearing he belonged to her completely. Mind, body and soul completely. He’s told her countless times. He’s proclaimed it to their family and friends. He’s teased the public by singing and writing songs declaring the same. Finally, he vowed it in a hall full of people they love, with God as their witness. Kwon Jiyong is Sandara Park’s.

And she believed him. She seriously believed him. Even when she didn’t want to. Even when her friends told her not to.

He made her believe. In love. In second chances. In him.

 

Do you know what Angelica said

When I told her what you'd done?

She said

"You have married an Icarus

He has flown too close to the sun"

 

Her tears started flowing as she read one of the first letters he gave her. It was full of hope, youth and love. There was excitement, the promise of something wonderful if just gave him a chance and an eagerness to prove himself and his feelings for her.

The people around her have warned about him. He’s got a reputation, they said. He won’t be faithful for long, they warned.

When Big Bang’s fame skyrocketed, it grew worse. Do you really think he doesn’t hook up with other girls when he’s away from you? They asked. He’s G-Dragon of Big Bang! As if that explained everything.


Don't take another step in my direction

I can't be trusted around you

Don't think you can talk your way

Into my arms, into my arms

 

“Sandara.” Jiyong called his wife as he entered their spacious living room. This is the first time he’s seen her in days considering she fled Seoul the moment the news broke. “Baby, please.”

“Don’t.” Sandara ordered sharply as she continued with what she was doing. Jiyong wisely stopped walking, hearing the anger in the single word she’s spoken to him since the scandal broke.

Sandara sat up on her knees and opened the fireplace door carefully. The warmth from the flames warming her almost instantly.

 

I'm burning the letters you wrote me

You can stand over there if you want

I don't know who you are

I have so much to learn

 

Sandara reached for one of the letters and tossed it into the flame. Her attention entirely caught up in watching the letter burn.

“Sandara!” Jiyong protested. He ran next to her and held on to her arms as she threw another letter into the fire. ‘What are you doing? Don’t! Sandara, baby, please!”

 

I'm re-reading your letters

And watching them burn (burn)

I'm watching them burn (burn)

 

“What am I doing?” Sandara asked Jiyong. “I’m re-reading your letters; trying to figure when it all went wrong. You wrote such pretty lies.”

“They weren’t lies.” Jiyong protested. “I loved you then. I love you now. I’ll love you forever.”

“Don’t.” Sandara stopped him. He’s always had such a way with words. “Ah. You still speak so well. You always have. That’s one thing that stayed the same.” She threw another handful of letters into the fireplace. Watching as the flames incinerated his words of love; his lies.

As she watched his letters burn, she wonders how they got to this point. They loved one another so much, what’s happening now seems inconceivable.

It was only this morning that Kwon Jiyong once again rocked South Korea with his scandals. For all the years they’ve been married, five in total, Jiyong and Dara have lived a very low profile life. They still performed and went on shows but their private lives remained quiet after their announcement of their marriage.

Most people accepted and supported them but there were some who piled on the hate. Initially, their strategy was to act as if they don’t care because honestly, they don’t. Let people say whatever they wanted about them, they all know what’s real anyway.

That changed when Sandara found out she was pregnant.

They didn’t want to bring their child into a world that hated him just because of who his parent are.

They folded into themselves. Fulfilling their work obligations before retreating back into the safe haven in Jeju that they are building for their family. They lived a clean and healthy life, with Jiyong giving up his heavy drinking and partying. He also gave up smoking and tried to join his wife in her doctor-approved workouts.

Eventually, news of their relatively simpler lifestyle reached the public and everyone marvelled at G-Dragon’s transformation. Gone was the reckless, entitled superstar. In his place was a responsible married man who put his family first. Oh, he still partied like a rockstar, or rather like a member of one of the best K-pop groups on earth, but now it was good, clean fun and only the occasional night out, usually with his wife in attendance. People thought he would retire but he continued making music. His new experiences giving his songs new depths and emotions that touched everyone’s hearts. The signature G-Dragon and Big Bang swag was still present but there was a new dimension to it, a new maturity that people attribute to Sandara and their coming child.

Children, actually.

Sandara was pregnant with twins. Two adorable little boys they called Joonyoung and Youngjae. Their lives revolved around their little family. Work was something they did because they were passionate about it but their family was always their priority.

Or at least it was.

Five days ago, Kwon Jiyong was named a person of interest in an ongoing investigation: the murder of a prominent businessman with potential drug connections.

Investigation revealed that Jiyong was seen with the businessman’s wife just days before the businessman’s death. The wife being the primary

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter