reliable bear

Light Blue Days
Please log in to read the full chapter

Wendy is content with her current lifestyle. She’s attending university on a scholarship, she has a part-time job that doesn’t stress her out too much, she has a very supportive family, and she has great friends like Joy and Seulgi.

What more could Wendy ask for?

“-wan!”

“Seungwan!!”

“Son Seungwan!!!”

Seulgi continues to shout as she shakes Wendy, who was still wrapped with her comforter like a burrito. The bear thinks Wendy isn’t a stubborn friend and she doesn’t loathe her roommate. The one and only thing about Wendy that Seulgi hated was when she needed to wake her up.

“Man, and I thought I was the bear who slept a lot.” Seulgi sighs, continuously shaking Wendy. She’s been waking up Wendy for minutes, and the latter still won’t nudge. As Seulgi thought this scene couldn’t get any worse, Wendy’s annoying phone alarm started to fill their dorm. She then hunts for Wendy’s loud phone and places it beside the sleepyhead’s ear.

Finally, Seungwan starts to squirm.

More sleep, that’s what.

“Seungwan, Wake up!” Seulgi shouts for the nth time, still holding the phone beside the poor girl’s ear. Squirming again, Wendy then slowly sits up and nabs the phone from Seulgi. Her short friend was about to lie down again until Seulgi catches Wendy by her shoulders.

“You’re gonna be late for your library shift, Wan!”

Eyes still closed, Wendy can only nod and give Seulgi a small smile. “Sorry, Seul. You’re the best.” She says in a slurry tone as she stands up. School mornings weren’t really kind for Wendy recently, so she would always rely on Seulgi to wake her up, since the latter wakes up earlier.

It was a Tuesday, which means Wendy would have classes in the afternoon. It was only 6:30 in the morning, but she was already prepping up for the day. This is because she’s a student assistant – Since she’s on a full scholarship, she’s required to do S.A. work. She’s stationed at the campus library, which Joy and other Education majors frequent at.

“You just woke up, Seul?” Wendy asks, tying her hair up. She was then browsing for outfits to wear in their shared closet. “Can I borrow a pair of pants, by the way?” she follows up.

Now occupied with a jar of peanut butter, Seulgi just hums in response.

“Thanks, Seul!” Wendy smiles, dashing to their bathroom.

“You’re looking pretty cute today, Seungwan.” Haseul, another S.A., compliments her out of the blue. It was that time of the day in where almost every student in the university seemed to be in class. There was hardly anyone in the Humanities section – where they were stationed for today.

Wendy laughs, “Thanks, Haseul. My friend gave this to me.” She then shows off the oversized hoodie Joy gave her by lifting both of her arms. “It’s really cozy!” then she sniffs the ends of the sleeves that were too long for her arms. Behind the cotton sleeves, Wendy had a wide smile plastered onto her face, remembering the thought of Sooyoung’s kindness. Haseul just smiles at her fluffy friend.

“I guess I’ll just return these books.” Haseul says, standing up as she heads to the book cart. Wendy smiles and gives her a thumbs up. Use of phones were discouraged while student assistants were on duty, so she had nothing to do. The bespectacled Wendy just rests her head onto her arms and closes her eyes. She thinks about random thoughts, like what illustration she should do next, or what she should do over the weekend.

Before Wendy could completely bury herself in her own thoughts, she heard the glass door creak and her face lit up when she saw that it was Joy, along with her classmates. Wendy instantly noticed how different students from other majors looked like compared students in her department, because students in the art department usually stood out because of their unique fashion and hairstyles. Whereas students like in the science and education department would go for a simpler style.

But hey, to each his own.

Joy smiles back and plops her arms right in front of Wendy’s as if it were a reflex. “I’m glad you like it, Unnie.” She says, referring to her gift. Wendy cutely nods and says thanks again, as if she hasn’t a

Please log in to read the full chapter