Sunshine

Hopelessly In Love

“Well, if there are no more questions, then meeting is adjourned. Have a fantastic summer, everyone!”

 

Yuju pounded the gavel, signaling the dismissal of the council meeting. Students erupted in cheers as they excitedly stood up from their desks, chairs groaning against the floor during the process. Most of the male council members darted for the door, lugging their school bags over their shoulder as they hurriedly bowed to the student council president. Yuju casually returned the formalities with a half-hearted bow and an amused smile.

Seeing the aftermath of carelessly pushed chairs and scattered desks, Yuju huffed and decided to let it slide. The last day of school was always the best day of the year. It meant a break from dealing with strict teachers, tedious projects and assignments, and sleep deprived study nights. Yuju was even more thankful to have several weeks of freedom from the stressful responsibilities of being student president.

Despite all the advantages of a relaxing summer vacation, Yuju couldn't help but think about the one downside of not being in school five days a week. And Yuju watched discreetly as that reason began to realign the desks and chairs into neat rows.

“Umji-ssi,” Yuju fondly addressed the council's class secretary, “what would I do without you?”

The younger girl's mousy cheeks lifted into a bright, rejuvenating smile. “It's no big deal, Yuju-unnie.”

“Are you sure you're not just trying to impress me so that I’ll be in your favor when elections come around next semester?” Yuju joked with a teasing grin.

“That's certainly a good plan. I’ll keep that in mind,” Umji kidded back. “But, I just wanted to help out once more before we go our separate ways. You've worked really hard this year, Unnie.”

Touched, the corner of Yuju's lip twitched in appreciation. “Thanks, Umji-ssi.”

Yuju gently patted the top of Umji's head as she tried to act unfazed by the sudden erratic beating of her heart. Realizing that she had been the girl's head for much longer than what's considered friendly, Yuju quickly halted and took a step back.

“So, do you have plans for the summer?” Yuju asked, retreating to her desk to put away her things (and conceal the growing heat in her cheeks).

“Uh, not entirely,” Umji replied, fiddling with her sleeves. “I'll probably just snooze in and hang out with my friends for the most part.”

“Speaking of which,” said a loud voice coming from the hallway. Standing by the doorway was Kim Yeri and Son Chaeyoung, both had their arms crossed and a disgruntled look on their faces. “We've been waiting for you outside for almost an hour, Umji-ya!” spoke Yeri.

Umji sheepishly giggled, and Yuju nearly melted by how adorable it sounded.


“Mianhae,” Yuju chimed in, smiling charmingly like a member of the royal family. “It's my fault that I made the meeting so long. I'll make sure to keep things succinct next time.”

“It's alright,” Chaeyoung coolly spoke. “Just make sure you can get the council to agree on buying new paint supplies for the art club and we'll call it even.”

“And,” Yeri interjected with much fervor, “reconsider my proposition for an all-expense paid class trip to England.”

“As president, I'll do my best to make sure your wishes will be heard and hopefully fulfilled,” Yuju responded with a twinkle in her eye. “Cross my heart.” The two friends nodded dreamily with swoonful smiles, clearly smittened by the older girl. Yuju glanced at Umji who looked like she wanted to hide from embarrassment. “I can continue to clean up here, Umji-ssi,” Yuju offered. “Go and be free with your friends. You girls deserve it.”

The pair bowed in gratitude before mischief-maker Chaeyoung plucked the decorative flower clip adorned in Yeri's hair and ran off with it. The savage, blonde girl chased after the baby beast out the door.

“I better make sure they don't kill each other,” Umji said, rubbing the back of her neck uneasily. “I hope you enjoy your summer, Unnie. See you next school year.” She hastily bowed and waved goodbye, jogging out the door to check on her two rambunctious friends.

All alone in the empty classroom, Yuju went ahead with her promise and began to erase the chalkboard and close the curtains. As she looked out the window, Yuju saw the trio of friends walking out of the schoolyard arm and arm. Yeri's hair clip had been returned, but Chaeyoung's hair was now a wild mess. Regardless, smiles beamed on their faces, and Yuju couldn't discredit the fact that Umji's smile was the loveliest. With a sigh, she slid the curtain over the window, thereby obstructing her view of the most wonderful girl she has ever met.

Yuju returned to her desk and sat down. She opened the top cover and her line of vision instantly made contact with the present she had planned on giving Umji: a handcrafted card with a picture of Ariel from The Little Mermaid on the front and I want to be part of your world written in English on the inside. She knew it was cheesy, but she also had a feeling that the younger girl would adore it. Unfortunately, Yuju may never know how Umji would react to the confession card because she just couldn't muster up the nerve to give the damn card. Even worse, Yuju had made the sentimental gift weeks ago. Each day would pass. And each day she came up with an excuse for why she couldn't give it. Whether it be due to getting caught up in important council matters or time-consuming study sessions, Yuju knew that it was all just a cover up. Deep down, she doubted that Umji would return her feelings.

Considering her popularity, it was easy to assume that Yuju could date any person she wanted. But, the older girl carried a humble heart and an untainted mindset to go with it. She excelled at pleasing others first, which may had been her biggest advantage at winning presidency of the student council. Yuju enjoyed making people happy, and she felt proud of the progressive changes that were made because of her leadership in the council. Her high status in school had granted Yuju with many friends. But out of all the people she had ever become acquainted with, there were very few who she could truly be herself in their presence. One example being Eunha, her best friend since elementary school. And a most recent example was none other than Umji.

When she first met the younger girl, Yuju was surprised that an underclassman wanted to take part in the daunting duties of the council. Remarkably, Umji proved herself to be perhaps the most reliable and enthusiastic member. And although there was a Vice President, Yuju felt more comfortable deliberating pros and cons with Umji. There was something about the young class secretary that Yuju just couldn’t deny her fondness for.

She recalled the two of them having to stay after school to decorate the gymnasium for the upcoming dance. All the other members had prior commitments, so they had no choice but to work together. While taking a break, the older girl could tell that Umji was growing tired. In attempt to energize her, Yuju decided to reveal one of her many hidden talents: imitating inanimate objects. There was the safety pin, the folding chair, and who couldn't forget her flawless impression of a toilet paper roll? As hoped, Umji laughed and laughed in delight as Yuju moved and contorted her body into each of these household items. Once the younger girl calmed down, she thanked Yuju earnestly for the mood uplift. Secretly, Yuju also wanted to thank Umji. Because never before has she felt so entranced by a person immersed in pure joy. For the first time in a while, Yuju's eccentricity played in her favor.

From that day, Yuju made it her mission to slowly bring out her inner wild card just to see Umji's precious face light up like that again. And each time she managed to, Yuju felt her heart race a little faster. Soon enough, her face would begin to flush and she found herself at a loss for words at the sight of Umji even when she wasn't smiling. Yuju thought it was strange at first. But when she discussed these symptoms with Eunha, her best friend merely laughed at her cluelessness. That's when Yuju realized that she was wholeheartedly in love with Umji.

Drumming her fingers on the desk, Yuju stared at the card and scoffed. It was too late now. There so many chances she could have taken but didn't out of anxiety and insecurities. Next school year would be her last, while Umji still had another year left. Yuju wouldn't be surprised to learn that the younger girl had found a significant other over the summer once school began and council meetings recommenced. And if that were to happen, then Yuju would continue to live in a constant state of regret.

“I'm hopeless,” Yuju murmured defeatedly, stuffing the card into her backpack and zipping it shut.

She stood up, searching in her pocket for the classroom key that she had to return by the end of the day. Suddenly, though, a pair of hands covered her eyes, blocking her sense of sight. There was only one person who Yuju was accustomed to this kind of playfulness from.

“Eunha-ya,” she called out lethargically, “stop. I'm not in the mood right now.”

Yuju grabbed the hands, holding them as she spun herself around to face her best friend. But when Yuju took note of this person's adorable doe eyes, round cheeks, and cute, button nose, she momentarily went into a state of shock.

“Umji-ssi,” Yuju managed to say, shoulders tensed and mouth dry, “w-what are you still doing at school?”

“Sorry to bother you, Yuju-unnie,” Umji shyly apologized. “I was on my way out when I remembered that there was something really important I've been meaning to tell you. And I don't think I could properly enjoy the summer without getting it off my chest.”

Slowly nodding, Yuju hid her curiosity with a polite, closed mouth smile. “It's okay, Umji-ssi. You can tell me anything.”

The younger girl closed the door, causing a sense of anticipation to flutter in Yuju's stomach. Hands behind her back, Umji stared up at Yuju, a sense of apprehension clouding her eyes.

 

“First, I would like to express my gratitude for you helping me these past semesters. Though we're a year apart, there wasn't an awkward ‘sunbae-hoobae’ relationship between us. You were always really kind to me and treated me like a good friend. And, whenever we would spend time together at the meetings or doing some kind of volunteer work, I appreciated how you would open up to me. How I got to see the real Choi Yuju. I guess what I'm trying to say is-”

“Yah, Jung Yerin! Give me back my journal!”

“What's the matter, SinB-ah? Afraid I'm going to find out that you do actually love me?”

“Pabo! We've been in a long-term committed relationship since Freshman year! We’re practically an old married couple!”

Umji paused abruptly, clamming up at the possibility that people could overhear their conversation. Without hesitation, Umji took the older girl by the hand, trotting to the center of the room and crouching to the floor with Yuju following suit. Head peeking above from the desk aisle, Umji waited until the pair of voices and footsteps had passed the classroom. The flustered secretary exhaled a sigh of relief before glancing at Yuju whose gaze was focused on their entwined hands. Flustered, Umji released her hold. But for a split second, she swore there was a look of disappointment on Yuju's face.

With the coast cleared, the two council members stood up from their hiding place. To make the situation less awkward, Yuju began to chuckle, earning an exchange of bubbly giggles from Umji. Once the atmosphere became lighter, Umji tucked a rogue strand of hair behind her ear in preparation of what she was about to say. Eyes meeting with the older girl's again, Umji felt relieved to see an encouraging, puppy-like smile from Yuju.

“Sorry, I was distracted with other people passing by,” Umji continued. “My behavior was probably weird, but I just really need to talk to you in private. What I want to say and what I've been wanting to say for a long time now is that... I like you, Yuju-unnie.”

Yuju was pretty sure she needed to get her hearing checked because she could've swore that Umji had just confessed to her. Umji confessing her feelings for Yuju? Yeah, right. Umji should be the one to receive confessions. Yuju knew that it wasn't right and that she herself should’ve been more upfront with her feelings instead of avoiding them. Struck dumb, Yuju stood there frozen with her heartbeat climbing like she was reaching the highest peak of a rollercoaster. All at once, the reality settled in. While she had developed a huge crush on Umji during the year, Umji had also been falling for Yuju. And just now, through the younger girl's courage, had Yuju found out. The student president was disappointed in herself for not being the one to confess first. But, at the same time, she was soaring as those four heavenly words replayed in her mind.

Meanwhile, Umji's surge of bashfulness resorted to her looking at the floor, the window, and the door. Practically anywhere but the older girl. With a small gulp, she cautiously returned her gaze to Yuju whose expression remained blank.

 

“And, I don't mean that entirely as a friend or as my sunbae,” the younger girl felt the need to clarify. “I mean it as someone who wants to be with you. To go on dates with. To see if something between us could work. Maybe I'm getting too ahead of myself. Maybe you only see me as your hoobae or even just a dongsaeng. But, to me, you’re everything that I could ever-”

At that moment, the sound of vacation-excited teenage boys stampeding through the hallway forced Umji to pause unexpectedly for the second time. The ruckus provoked Yuju to snap out of her spellbinding trance. Blinking several times, she noticed that aggravation had disrupted Umji's usually calm disposition. Though Yuju found the eye roll and pout combo to be utterly adorable, she wanted to take the lead and hopefully indicate that she too shared these same emotions and desires.

“Follow me,” Yuju said, briskly grabbing Umji's hand.

A spike of adrenaline rushed through Yuju's body from finally making a daring move. Smiling proudly, Yuju steered them through the maze of desks, heading for the nearest window and diving inside its curtains. She turned to face Umji; the younger girl nervously avoided her gaze. Yuju's lips stretched wider before slightly parting as she stared at the radiant beauty in front of her. As they showered underneath golden rays of sunlight, Yuju caught sight of the hazelnut hue in Umji's irises. Her complexion embodied everything that was soft and pure in this world. And her light pink lip gloss shimmered enticingly which induced Yuju to subconsciously wet her own.

On the other hand, Umji sulked against the window, saddened that her confession wasn't as picture perfect like in the movies. “Gosh,” she mumbled, attention fixed on the ground, “I really am hopeless, aren't I?”

Yuju frowned, knowing very well that what Umji had done was far from the definition of hopeless. The older girl understood that this was time to be bold; she needed to show Umji that she had also fallen like never before.

Yuju cupped Umji's cheek, prompting the younger girl to stare directly at her. With their gazes reunited, the class president felt her heart skip a beat. She didn't let that stop her, though, as the words came tumbling out in a gentle whisper.   

“You're anything but.”

Yuju leaned forward, craning her neck to match the shorter girl's level. She closed her eyes and proceeded to do the one thing that she had been yearning to do to Umji since that fateful day in the gymnasium.

She kissed her.

As she felt Umji’s lips timidly reciprocate, Yuju smiled, cherishing the blissful moment. This summer was going to be different for the both of them. At last, they were hopeless no more.